• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot Xenon Live info

Dyne

Taken from http://www.gamegossip.com, told by a member of http://www.talkxbox.com

And, can't forget the source.

Are you interested in using C# and .NET to improve the integrity and performance of servers? Want to help create a new feature for Xenon not available on any other platform? Microsoft Game Studios Publishing is looking for an SDET with server experience to help design and implement the new Xenon Title Server features, including: a spectator mode for many Xenon games, Xbox TV - with tickers at the bottom of the screen featuring recent high scores and game highlights, a tournament system, and tradable trophies. Core technical challenges the team will face include: integrating networking code with existing networking layers of many games, optimizing the SQL server backend, working with restricted console memory, optimizing data flow, designing and implementing scalable servers, and integrating several systems into a single customer experience.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if we can get live commentary from formelry top ranked non-participating users? ;)

Its like teh olympics but 1337!!

Kon Tiki

Banned
heh HLTV and UTTV are pretty cool. Look forward to this.

I always had this vision of a Game 'station' that had updates and scores from big video games (ya i know, super geeky!). I would love that idea to come to light.

FightyF

Banned
This would be great for online leagues or eyeing the competition.

From Street Fighter to PGR3 to NHL 2K6...it's so applicable to any online game...

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I always thought spectator mode was a cool under-utilized idea. I wish there was a way to be a spectator without having to own the full game you know? I'd watch people play other stuff it I could just download to my Xenon HD a small viewer type app. There are definitely sports games, fps and racing games that I'd love to watch other people play.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Calling MS about this this morning was funnier than what happened last nught, which was me being too drunk to have sex.

"Oh no, fucking hell! They are such fucking twats! Oh my god... Erm, you're not recording this are you?"

SPOnG's spin here

I think the advert will be down as soon as Seattle gets to work.

Folder said:
Calling MS about this this morning was funnier than what happened last nught, which was me being too drunk to have sex.

"Oh no, fucking hell! They are such fucking twats! Oh my god... Erm, you're not recording this are you?"

SPOnG's spin here

I think the advert will be down as soon as Seattle gets to work.

That quote isn't verbatim ... is it? :lol

PanopticBlue said:
Wow. That sounds absolutely awesome. If Microsoft can pull that off next gen that would be huge..

Sony Online=XENOWNED

Wow! If Online is the deciding factor next gen, then Sony is in a bit of trouble. M$ is so far ahead of the game it isn't even funny.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
sonycowboy said:
Wow! If Online is the deciding factor next gen, then Sony is in a bit of trouble. M$ is so far ahead of the game it isn't even funny.

Yeah, but not so far ahead that Sony can't catch up by mimicking certain aspects and conceivably even improving on them. In certain things, Sony knows how to be very user-friendly and mainstream and that could prove the difference in online down the road.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
open_mouth_ said:
Yeah, but not so far ahead that Sony can't catch up by mimicking certain aspects and conceivably even improving on them. In certain things, Sony knows how to be very user-friendly and mainstream and that could prove the difference in online down the road.

they're still working on mimicking XboxLive 1.0

DopeyFish said:

Exactly. Sony can only copy what they see. With lead times on games, that could put them years behind. They need to bring in someone that has some vision and can offer not only a comparable service, but one that leverages their strengths. Microsoft is using XNA to leverage the PC w/Windows, Passport, MSN, etc.

Sony needs to create a pipeline to their content as well as their partners.

DopeyFish said:

But I dont recall sony ever stating it would have something as advanced as Xbox Live. That is to say with the fees, the closed off servers and all that jazz. I'm sure PS3 will have somtehing similar ... unless Sony's insane.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
So Xbox tv is the spectator mode? thats cool then, that suggests you can watch without having to own the game. Thats a great way to sell games too, no more crusing around the net for new footage when a game comes out just get on xbox live and watch a few deathmatches.

McFly

There was a Sony patent about a year ago that described more or less exactly what MS is now doing with Xenon. Search the B3D boards, it's somewhere there linked in a PS3 thread.

Fredi

Ghost said:
So Xbox tv is the spectator mode? thats cool then, that suggests you can watch without having to own the game. Thats a great way to sell games too, no more crusing around the net for new footage when a game comes out just get on xbox live and watch a few deathmatches.

Complete with Xbox Live in-game ... "chatting". :lol

Ghost said:

That would be something. An actual streaming server for video that your Xbox could tap into. So that would mean the host of the games, would also be trasmitting the data to the Xbox Live servers as I doubt that the host could handle being the streaming server. The data would be only the networked data from the gamers, and the server would be responsible for creating creating the graphical output based on the game and handling context switches as the spectator chooses different players.

Pretty serious stuff.

Or, less intrepid, the spectator has to own the game and thus their Xbox can handle the decoding as they have the code in the game as well as all the textures, models, etc.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
sonycowboy said:
Or, less intrepid, the spectator has to own the game and thus their Xbox can handle the decoding as they have the code in the game as well as all the textures, models, etc.

You can already do that in a few existing Xbox games IIRC so hopefully it's not just that.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Even the most ardent Sony fanboys are counting them out of the online race already... wow. WTF is wrong with youz?

It's not like Xbox Live is this unbeatable service. It good, but far from impeccable.

open_mouth_ said:
Even the most ardent Sony fanboys are counting them out of the online race already... wow. WTF is wrong with youz?

It's not like Xbox Live is this unbeatable service. It good, but far from impeccable.

Haven't you heard? The tide is turning! The NFL said so!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
open_mouth_ said:

probably since Microsoft lives and breathes internet... Sony letting Microsoft get such a lead in online scope would not be a good idea.

That is of course unless Sony has been working frantically behind the scenes to come up with a powerful internet/matchmaking service for PS3 and just letting whatever PS2 has just slide.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
sonycowboy said:
That would be something. An actual streaming server for video that your Xbox could tap into. So that would mean the host of the games, would also be trasmitting the data to the Xbox Live servers as I doubt that the host could handle being the streaming server. The data would be only the networked data from the gamers, and the server would be responsible for creating creating the graphical output based on the game and handling context switches as the spectator chooses different players.

Pretty serious stuff.

Well i know you can do it for CS and probably most other PC games aswell, you just run a program that logs onto the game as a spectator and records footage for others to watch later, doing it live (ie streaming) would pose problems though. Its probably something MS could do pretty easily with their huge bandwidth capabilities, maybe they intend to set up a few bots (or maybe people) that either roam round looking for games themselves or maybe you book them through the website.

The other alternative is that MS actually provides servers that broadcast footage themselves, and have users book (and maybe pay for?) those servers in advance, there has been a lot of complaints about the P2P nature of Xbox live, providing premium servers (for those that want them) might be their way of solving the problem and taping all the action from those servers would provide an extra incentive for people to pay for the privillige. It would also mean MS has secure servers for any competitions, where it can ensure a level playing field, negating the need to fly players around the world as they do at the moment.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
open_mouth_ said:

There's a difference between online gaming and online community services. The latter is what MS clearly excels at right now and its not yet clear how much will Sony has to personally provide the same across the board. But acknowledging the initiative that MS is pressing in terms of community services doesn't represent the extent of the online race.

I just started thinking and the possibilities for single player games seem much more interesting to me. Watching how a friend handles a tough boss battle or when they're farther in the game than you will ever be because you won't dedicate the time.

or...

It opens up the possibility for a publisher (or hw manufacturer) to have commercials, PR release, world premieres, developer interviews, etc directly on your system vs a variety of websites. Imagine finding out about Halo 3 via a scheduled XBox TV event.

Phoenix

While "hot", none of the concepts are new and have been in the wish lists of community based gaming sites all the way back to heat.net. Its all in the implementation of these ideas. Microsoft has a one up on Sony not because of XBox live, but because they have a huge community from which to get ideas - that being the MSN team and the Zone team. Microsoft has been doing online community longer than anyone except AOL. Microsoft has a huge advantage in terms of technology (content management systems, online support centers, etc). Where Microsoft wins is that they can repurpose a lot of stuff they already have 'in the family' for use with this next generation Xbox live. Sony doesn't have this and will have to build scores of it from the ground up. Anyone who writes enterprise systems knows that there are good things about building from the ground up and there are some really bad things.

At any rate, Microsoft doesn't own all the oxygen in the environment - that being people with EXPERIENCE in this area. If you can field a team that is experienced in the various facets of online communities - you can build a compelling and competitive system.

Sysgen

DarienA said:
You can already do that in a few existing Xbox games IIRC so hopefully it's not just that.

Midtown Madness for one. Hysterical watching the guy bringing up the rear.

Top Bottom