• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot YS (PSP) Screens

olimario

Banned
This is going to look amazing on the PSP screen

ys06.jpg
ys07.jpg
ys08.jpg
ys09.jpg
ys14.jpg

ZigZagZig

I played japanease PC-version a bit in last summer. If I recall right, this hero couldn't block enemies attacks. I can't read a word of jap so it's could be my own stupidity. :) Well, it was fun anyway. And looked really good. And music was very nice. Not Ys I caliber but still good.

PC Gaijin

The play mechanics in this one have been improved over the older games, correct? You actually swing your sword, jump, etc.? Because the old games were clunky as hell.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Eh, as far as I know only Ys I & II had the run-sideways-into-the-enemy = attack gameplay. Which wasn't really that bad, sort of :). Ys III, IV etc had more advanced attacks and gameplay. The rest, I don't know, but can't really imagine them ditching more advanced gameplay for a return to the simplistic oldschool stuff.\

Anyway, this looks hawt. Think I'll check the PS2 version out but nonetheless cool this is coming for PSP :).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ys VI had an excellent combat system, including some really nice timing based combos that, when mastered, were ultra deadly. I had a blast with the game on the PC, even though it was kinda short (then again, the other Ys games weren't exactly super long).

It seems that the PSP version has taken quite a hit, visually. It looks about the same, but the high-res textures are gone. :( The PC version had some EXTREMELY crisp textures that really made the game look quite beautiful. From what I had seen, the PS2 version actually managed to retain most of that. That doesn't seem to be the case here. However, I've heard that the PSP version retains the 60 fps of the PC version...which is good.

olimario said:
This is going to look amazing on the PSP screen

ys06.jpg
ys07.jpg
ys08.jpg
ys09.jpg
ys14.jpg

I think all PSP screenshots from now on should be done exclusively on a PSP. They look better than regular screenshots by a large margin.

In fact, ALL screenshots for ALL systems should be done on a PSP. PS2, XBox, Gamecube, whatever :D

Does it look better than the PS2 version? Just curious, I see a lot of people saying they can't wait for the PSP version, and it certainly looks fantastic, but as someone who isn't planning to get the PSP right away I'm more inclined to get this on PS2.

dark10x

Catchpenny said:
Does it look better than the PS2 version? Just curious, I see a lot of people saying they can't wait for the PSP version, and it certainly looks fantastic, but as someone who isn't planning to get the PSP right away I'm more inclined to get this on PS2.

PS2 version uses polygonal characters, features some modified music (not all tracks, just a few), and only runs at 30 fps.

The PSP version looks and sounds just like the PC version, it would seem, with the major difference being that the textures were downgraded. PSP version runs at 60 fps (a big deal for this game).

Either version should be fine, though. PC version is still the best, though!

Kon Tiki

Banned
How many Ys were released on PC? I only played Ys III: Wanderers from Ys on SNES. I'd like to play more of the series.

dark10x

Well, the original release of Ys VI included an additional CD with Ys 1-5. They were all older games running on old PC emulators, though. Ys I & II Eternal for the PC is quite nice, though, and is a great way to experience the originals (and I hear there is an English translation floating around somewhere too).

If you've only played Ys III (which I don't even really like), then you've played the strangest in the series I'd say. Ys III was quite different from the rest in that it was a side scroller. It had kickass music, though (especially the PCE-SCD version). I think there were multiple versions of some games as well. Like, Ys IV on SNES is different than Ys IV on the PCE...

Always try to go with versions that offer digital music, though. On that note, I wanted to say that Ys III and IV probably have the best music in the series. :)

I think I'm going with jarrod and the PSP version with this one, I like the idea of extra gaming despite the less than overwhelming bosses due to the small screen. Nonetheless, looks great!

jarrod

Banned
For platforms...

Ancient Ys Vanished Omen
-PC-8801
-X1turbo
-PC-9801
-FM77AV
-FM7/77
-MSX2
-Famicom
-Sega Mark III/Sega Master System
-PC Engine Super CD-ROM/Turbo CD
-X86000
-Sega Saturn
-Windows
-i-mode
-PlayStation 2

Ys II: Ancient Ys Vanished The Final Chapter
-PC-8801
-PC-9801
-X1turbo
-FM77AV
-MSX2
-Famicom
-Sega Saturn
-Windows
-i-mode

Wanderers From Ys: Ys III
-PC-8801
-PC-9801
-MSX2
-X86000
-Famicom
-Super Famicom/Super NES
-MegaDrive/Sega Genesis
-Windows
-J-Phone
-i-mode
-EZ-appli

Ys IV: Mask of the Sun
-Super Famicom
-Windows
-PlayStation 2

Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys
-PC Engine Super CD-ROM

Ys V: Ancient Sand City of Kefin
-Super Famicom
-Windows
-PlayStation 2

Ys Eternal
-Windows
-PlayStation 2

Ys Eternal II
-Windows
-PlayStation 2

Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtam
-Windows
-PlayStation 2
-PSP

mumu

Yet another game with very noticeable dithering. Do the games all run at 16bit or whats the matter here? Someone with an actual PSP please comment.

dark10x

mumu said:
Yet another game with very noticeable dithering. Do the games all run at 16bit or whats the matter here? Someone with an actual PSP please comment.

I dont have a clue myself, but I suppose it doesn't really seem to mean much to most consumers. I mean, people are blown away by RE4's visuals...

Heck, a lot of people claimed I was "lying" about the major dithering problems in PoP-Warrior Within on GC. They just couldn't see it!

BenT

Ick, what's with the dithering?

Last I saw the PS2 version of Ys: AoN runs at 60 fps. It was 30 at E3, yes. Now it's 60.

dark10x

BenT said:
Ick, what's with the dithering?

Last I saw the PS2 version of Ys: AoN runs at 60 fps. It was 30 at E3, yes. Now it's 60.

Really? That's good news...

The demo that was included on the Fall Konami disc was also 30 fps. It's good to hear that they've fixed that...

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Now this looks quite impressive.

Culex

Banned
16-bit color can be forgiven on a handheld. It doesn't look too bad, and should be another great RPG for the PSP. It's no PC version, with unbelievably high res textures and color palette, but this will do nicely.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Ugh, looks like it inherited the PS2 game's shitty textures.

Oh well. I loved the PS2 game, despite Konamis butchery. I'll love this one too.

Edit - For the record, Ys IV featured bump-attack gameplay just like I & II. Ys III, V, and VI were the ones to allow jumping, slashing, etc. The upcoming classic remakes using the Ys VI engine will also as well, of course.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Wow, another port for Portstation Portable. Why buy it when there's a Y's game on console!

[/troll]

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Tritroid said:
Then it's bound to suck?

WTF you talking about??? Final Fantasy Adventure was by far the best game for the original Game Boy, IMO... well that or Link's Awakening... Sword of Mana was a big disappointment though.

Top Bottom