• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami is freaking incredible

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Outside of the bosses (and that was only for a few minutes), I didn't find this game hard at all, and I played on a 360 Controller.

Fantastic game, though. I need to remember to put the soundtrack on my phone.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
You guys recommend playing this game with a controller or keyboard/mouse?

Omikron

Anyone have issues where the game seems to corrupt itself each time you play it?

I download the game, play for a while, quit. Then next time I boot it up, it throws a bunch of exceptions / errors, which I can skip past but then the sound and a few other bits and pieces aren't working.

A re-download fixes the issue, but it has happened 3 times now and am just about over it.

Shaneus

Anyone have issues where the game seems to corrupt itself each time you play it?

I download the game, play for a while, quit. Then next time I boot it up, it throws a bunch of exceptions / errors, which I can skip past but then the sound and a few other bits and pieces aren't working.

A re-download fixes the issue, but it has happened 3 times now and am just about over it.
Do you have Steam Cloud enabled or disabled? Could be something to do with that.

I started with a controller, but found it much better with KB/M

Same here. I ended up putting the keyboard on my lap.

Really fun game, just the right length not to get boring. Didn't think it was very hard though, other than at the very beginning when I would just rush in and get shot by someone I never saw. I barely died on the later levels. Whenever possible I used the "look farther" mask, which makes you feel totally in control.

UrbanRats

fantastic game up until
the last boss

cant be bothered completing it now :(

1- Go behind the fountain, kill one panther at a time with the thing on the couch.
2- as soon as the girl finishes talking run sideways and lock on her, throwing your weapon and knocking her down.
3- wait for her to crawl PAST the desk with the dude and then finish her.
4- As soon as the dude finishes talking run up to him and stay as close to him as possible, he wont hit you this way.
5- keeping him locked on, wait for him to reload, run to the girl's knives and immediately throw one to him.
6- immediately run back to him and wait for a second reload.

Now if you're on his left side (right side of the screen) he may kill you, shooting himself, so after throwing the second knife just stay out of reach.

As easy as it gets.

Shaneus

1- Go behind the fountain, kill one panther at a time with the thing on the couch.
2- as soon as the girl finishes talking run sideways and lock on her, throwing your weapon and knocking her down.
4- As soon as the dude finishes talking run up to him and stay as close to him as possible, he wont hit you this way.
5- keeping him locked on, wait for him to reload, run to the girl's knives and immediately throw one to him.

Now if you're on his left side (right side of the screen) he may kill you, shooting himself, so after throwing the second knife just stay out of reach.

As easy as it gets.
I think that's pretty much what I did. At least, from step 4 onwards.

Alur

Literally just picked this up and then blazed through it. I put it off for a while, didn't think it looked that great...got it on sale and started playing and was blown away (no pun).

I've never been so stubborn at repeatedly attempting something, but every time there's always a simple reason for why I got killed and I just can't help myself but try again. Definitely one of the best games I've played in a while.

last boss is like a puzzle :)

4- run behind fountain, wait for girl's bullets to pass

As easy as it gets.

slight different strategy.

just slightly

Kolgar

The game sure is janky sometimes. The lockon in particular is annoying. It doesn't seem to unlock from the corpse you just made, which it needs to as five other guys come barreling at you.

The frequency of game crashes and bullets not connecting with badguys is also irritating, but I'm on the last level now so obviously the game's quirks haven't put me off it.

Just wish some of the problems had been worked out by now.

Santiako

Just finished it, it was fantastic. Didn't get all the letters (only 4 or 5), but I don't think I'll bother with them.

Quoting myself. In the end I went back and collected every letter. I liked the regular ending better than the secret one. Great game.

Shaneus

Quoting myself. In the end I went back and collected every letter. I liked the regular ending better than the secret one. Great game.
I only saw the secret one via that analysis video that was posted and I agree. More a matter of preference, but I suppose it's more that it wasn't really worth the effort considering that not much more of the story was established (especially like those three guys who kept asking those questions... I don't think who they were was ever revealed, was it?).

How is this with a 360 controller?

I played the entire game with a controller and thought it worked really well. I tried mouse/keyboard once and it just felt impossible. I felt like I was playing QWOP.

The game feels much easier the 2nd time through too.

So with all the black spoiler bars and story discussion I'm seeing here, I'm guessing it was decent? Just thought this was a shoot-em-up, I didn't know it had a story. Hope i have an amazon coupon left

Speevy

Banned
So with all the black spoiler bars and story discussion I'm seeing here, I'm guessing it was decent? Just thought this was a shoot-em-up, I didn't know it had a story. Hope i have an amazon coupon left

It has a story in the same sense that a David Lynch movie has a story.

Fjordson

It's much more than decent, but the story is certainly not the main attraction here. It's interesting though, with some twists towards the end. The gameplay and the game's style is what will keep you hooked. It's near perfect when you start to get into the flow of a level.

Speevy's comment makes sense I'd say. The story is weird as fuck (in a good way).

I started with a controller, but found it much better with KB/M

I only just bought the game and played for about an hour with the 360 pad.

I wondered if it would be better going KB/M, so I think I'll give it a go.

Just to add to those already saying it: this game is amazing and having the music blasting through headphones makes it one of my favourite games in the past 6-12 months.

inm8num2

Mouse movement is a little slow, and there was no in game option to increase sensitivity.

But yea, really fun game. Made it to chapter 7 in one sitting then had to force myself to quit.

Dingotech

Anybody got tips for the 12X Combo and 3 hit brick achievements?

I tried the 12X combo one at the cop station for the last hour.... sigh.

EDIT - Got the 3x brick one on level 3, the youtube video of it is very helpful. But you still need a shit load of luck!
Try to grind out the 12x Combo one sometime today...

EDIT 2 - Annnd done them both. 12x Combo on level 5 using the mask that gives you more time to combo.

AND LOL @ the achievement for getting all the other achievements not unlocking... googled it and apparently it's bugged out. XD

Any way of making this run in proper full screen mode? I run multi monitor and the mouse keeps ending up on my second screen (which means when I click the game loses focus and pauses).

Anyone? It's very annoying.

It also switched back to my "main" monitor when I get to the end of a level.

Top Bottom