• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HOUSE M.D. Season 8 |OT| of The End

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I have a feeling that the original plan was to have House leave to become a physicist. They've dropped a couple hints of that throughout this season, but I think they realized that the House/Wilson dynamic was a more meaningful way to end the series.

As a whole, I think the series has been good. Actually, the only season that bored me was the current one.

Ogni-XR21

I like the ending. Not the best TV show ending ever but fitting for the show.

I hesitated if I should watch the swan song but I'm glad I did. Made me appreciate the show even more.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry are teaming up for a new show/project in the near future.. seems like he's going back to his roots and I cannot wait for it.

I absolutely love "A bit of Fry and Laurie".

zlatko

Banned
I felt the final episode was a perfect fit for the show and the character of House.

Sorry to see it go. It's always nice having House to tune into once a week... it's like a good cup of warm coco on a cold day. Show always just made me feel warm inside as cheesy as that sounds.

kehs

Banned
I used to love this show up until around the time the og team moved on, after that I pretty much stopped watching on a regular basis since they kept resetting every couple of episodes. Finale was nothing of what I remember this show for. =/

Very disappointed.

I used to love this show up until around the time the og team moved on, after that I pretty much stopped watching on a regular basis since they kept resetting every couple of episodes. Finale was nothing of what I remember this show for. =/

Very disappointed.
so the last time you watched regularly was 5-6 years ago, then you popped into the finale and concluded it's not like the episodes you remember from 5-8 years ago.

I'd call that the definition of not resetting.

kehs

Banned
so the last time you watched regularly was 5-6 years ago, then you popped into the finale and concluded it's not like the episodes you remember from 5-8 years ago.

I'd call that the definition of not resetting.

I watched random episodes here and there throughout and nothing ever changed on the show.

I don't think it was 5 years though....at least I don't think.

What do you mean? Every season House was back to the same position. The season where he went to the asylum that lasted like twenty minutes in the premiere? That was ridiculous.

I'm saying it hasn't been five years since I watched the show.
the asylum was a 2 hour premier, not 20 mins, and the episode(s) took place over a span of a number of months I believe.

That was one of the most well received 2 hours of House the show has ever had.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
God, 3/4 way through this I was really angry. They can't do that - yes, House finally decides he can change (again) but gets his comeuppance. But he's not there for Wilson, thats just too selfish for the show.

Nice ending overall I guess. You have limits to what you'll realistically get when ending a long running show like this, the best you can hope for is not to be really pissed off and I wasn't.

Or we'll get a Selma and Louise ending. House and Wilson will go on the run from the law and when they're finally cornered, they'll drive their car off a cliff.

my wife wanted this ending. I just told her 'you can still have it, just in your head'. I'm figuring House would kill Wilson before he gets into too much pain, then live out his life in a quiet little house on the beach, playing piano to himself and doing sudoku.

Just watched it, it wasn't a terrible ending which now a days it's a very good thing, but it wasn't a great one either. Very predictable as well, as soon as I heard the first phone ring it was obvious, yep, that's House. Even during Wilson speech you were already expecting it.

I think a show of this quality deserved a better ending but at least they didn't make one that ruined the show.

Novid

Banned
I have a short qubble about the AV house review, and the Glee one just posted.

Did they see the same show? Over the last three episodes? Because quite frankly, the grade for house is way too low and Glee's way too high.

Yes, House aged a bit weaker than the others of its ilk. This is because the writers have tried to do long range story arcs to no avail. There not good at it like Glee is. There not Soap/Long Con writers like Glee's are. There more from the ABC/CBS side of writing a show but much much better at it than a majority of those two network series.

I dont understand that you can fuck up a whole season up (Glee) until the last five or so and have the ending be anywhere near as weak. House was totally a symbolic ending in a good way. People said he was im Purgtory etc - i saw it as finally a Gnostic type of rebirth with a bit of Shopenhour(sp) tretise. He had to let go of everything that was false - everything that kept him from the puzzle that was his life. He realised everything he thought about - doing the right thing, having kids etc - were not for him. Can he have feelings, yes. But hes screwed for most if not the rest of his life. His gift - to those that can feel - was the gift of not conforming to anyone else's desires. Even Cuddy and her adopted kid were a desire - not a right.

When he realized that all he ever had was himself, when he finally realized it - he woke up and solved the puzzle that was his own life. He realized he has done enough - given enough and just wants to live his life his own way under his own rules. I think thats the biggest point everybody misses - man can change when HE wants to - not a state - not for a woman, not even a kid. And this maybe the most life-affirming message he has ever given. He cured his issues, his androgny - he is master of his fate.

Glee is the same typical Shojo/Bishiohen etc bs many in Hollywood has become to be enamored with - while that episode had many of the same elements of House's ending - a letting go process trying to be ones self - it was the same tropes (which is Newish to the Hollywood game but not to me or others) set pieces we have seen for years. They grew up in little ways and some in larger but there isnt a larger point to it. I felt that last weeks episode was the way better ending than this. It was 42 mins too long while Houses was 52 mins too short.

Not sure why they didn't do a 2-hour finale, it could have done with one and was the only way to treat the show with respect IMO.

Network decisions aside, I thought the ending was good but severely and obviously lacking in Cuddy.

A pretty middling ending to be honest. I expected to be rocked to my core, especially after the intense cancer treatment episode with Wilson. For some reason I felt a little detatched from everything happening on screen, maybe even a little bored in the first half. In the end though, I'm glad it didn't finish on a downer.

MMaRsu

Banned
I just read this topic to see what happens on the last episode. Lol I should make my roommate watch Eastbound & Down finale before he watches this shit ROFL.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I actually haven't seen the ending.

To be honest I stopped watching house for the most part around the middle of season 6 (when the lucas/Cuddy thing happened). I just got sick of the whole soap-opera path the show went down.

Saw the ocassoinal episode of season 7 (the musical springs to mind), but, again, I hated the path the show took.

Nice to hear they went full Sherlock with the ending though

Ending theory spoilers. Just incase.

I reckon he's dead. The way in the funeral, everyone looks confused at what's going on when Wilson is hearing his phone. The way House is just sitting on the steps and the way he says "I'm dead Wilson".

I know it sounds like he's just saying that everyone else thinks he's dead, I just think Wilson is so upset about the fact he's going to spend the last 5 months of his life without House, he hallucinates him. Just like the dead (besides Cameron) did to House before he "Died".

My theory anyway.

Santiako

I reckon he's dead. The way in the funeral, everyone looks confused at what's going on when Wilson is hearing his phone. The way House is just sitting on the steps and the way he says "I'm dead Wilson".

I know it sounds like he's just saying that everyone else thinks he's dead, I just think Wilson is so upset about the fact he's going to spend the last 5 months of his life without House, he hallucinates him. Just like the dead (besides Cameron) did to House before he "Died".

My theory anyway.

Nah, they only found one body.

My theory anyway.

Yeah, no, it's House, not The Sopranos. The House writers don't do subtle.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

My theory anyway.

What about when Foreman found House's ID tag underneath the table leg?

Dany

Banned
I liked the finale. I would have liked it more if House didn't go on for so long, they should have ended it at season 7 or 6. This season was dull but the finael was decent, House was House. Some decent closure.

Radec

My theory anyway.

You overthink too much. The ending was as simple as it is.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I liked the finale. I would have liked it more if House didn't go on for so long, they should have ended it at season 7 or 6. This season was dull but the finael was decent, House was House. Some decent closure.

The final season had a few gems though. Particularly e11 and of course the final 3 before the finale. e21 in particular was amazing, especially since the case was in a way emotionally relevant to the house story arc. On the other hand, the season opener was terrible compared to the S6 open while being similar.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
heads up for UK Sky1 gaf - They're showing the retrospective after the final episode tonight (10pm for the finale, 11pm for the retrospective)

My theory anyway.
Came here to see if this was mentioned. I like to think this is possible. How do you go from contemplating with your conscience to "haha gotchas! My plan worked."?

If he set the fire, why did he remain? If it was to prove he was there to would be onlookers, how would he know they'd see him in time? Who set the fire? If he did, why put himself in danger up there without an exit plan?

Hex

Banned

My theory anyway.

They were confused at why he was not answering it.
He thought it was someone else's, they knew it was his.
They were also confused that he would not have it turned off.
But again, it was not his phone. It was slipped to him.

DO not over think it.

They were confused at why he was not answering it.
He thought it was someone else's, they knew it was his.
They were also confused that he would not have it turned off.
But again, it was not his phone. It was slipped to him.

DO not over think it.
Answer my questions above.

What better way to end House than with a puzzle? Would House just accept the end result? Hell no, he'd be looking for the pieces that don't make sense which this episode had a lot of.

Tucah

you speak so well
Came here to see if this was mentioned. I like to think this is possible. How do you go from contemplating with your conscience to "haha gotchas! My plan worked."?

If he set the fire, why did he remain? If it was to prove he was there to would be onlookers, how would he know they'd see him in time? Who set the fire? If he did, why put himself in danger up there without an exit plan?

An interview with David Shore confirms that the fire was set by a cigarette from the other guy in the building, it was part of the episode that was cut for time.

Hex

Banned
Answer my questions above.

What better way to end House than with a puzzle? Would House just accept the end result? Hell no, he'd be looking for the pieces that don't make sense which this episode had a lot of.

I do not think anything was said at all about him setting the fire.
He went there to get ripped on Heroin and feel no pain for a while, no more and no less.
He was ripped, his new patient buddy od'd and was dead.
Everything else that happened was taking advantage of the situation.

An interview with David Shore confirms that the fire was set by a cigarette from the other guy in the building, it was part of the episode that was cut for time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom