• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House Republican films YouTube video from Auschwitz gas chamber to promote travel ban

ZeoVGM

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5shebLp9Onw&feature=youtu.be

http://gizmodo.com/congressman-is-sorry-about-his-youtube-rant-from-inside-1796663181

Clay Higgins said:
This is why homeland security must be squared away, why our military must be invincible. This is why we must remember these things. Man’s inhumanity to man can be quite shocking...

The world’s a smaller place now than it was in World War II. The United States is more accessible to terror like this, horror like this. It’s hard to walk away from gas chambers and ovens without a very sober feeling of commitment—unwavering commitment—to make damn sure that the United States of America is protected from the evils of the world.

For those who might not remember this piece of trash, he was in the news not too long ago for calling for the mass killing of "radicalized Islam" suspects.

also Clay Higgins said:
The free world... all of Christendom... is at war with Islamic horror. Not one penny of American treasure should be granted to any nation who harbors these heathen animals. Not a single radicalized Islamic suspect should be granted any measure of quarter. Their intended entry to the American homeland should be summarily denied. Every conceivable measure should be engaged to hunt them down. Hunt them, identify them, and kill them. Kill them all. For the sake of all that is good and righteous. Kill them all.

Also, he's insane. (The whole Gizmodo article above is a good read.)

Arcia

Banned
So many Jewish people were saved by being able to travel and immigrate to the US. They would have been dying in those gas chambers because of things like the travel ban. This is so stupid.

Why do racist folks always point to atrocities white people inflicted as their argument against PoC being allowed to be?

Don't vote for Obama he'll bring back slavery
Don't vote for Obama, he'll take away white folks equal rights and burn down our cities via operation jade helmet.
Don't let the moozlums in they'll put us in gas chambers!

Like jesus.

Al-ibn Kermit

He's like a pussified version of the neo-nazis. With denying the fear and bigotry that lead to the creation of those gas chambers. Good thing is seeing Muslims and the ADL getting along.

Yes I know what Godwins Law is but if it should be waived for anything it's this case.

Chumly

So many Jewish people were saved by being able to travel and immigrate to the US. They would have been dying in those gas chambers because of things like the travel ban. This is so stupid.
This. I mean if you really think about it the chances that the United States starts gassing people is pretty low. But by god we're not going to allow anyone in the United States that is being tortured, Gassed, murdered etc because you know

Blader

Many other Jewish immigrants also died because they were turned away from entering the US.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Why do racist folks always point to atrocities white people inflicted as their argument against PoC being allowed to be?

Don't vote for Obama he'll bring back slavery
Don't vote for Obama, he'll take away white folks equal rights and burn down our cities via operation jade.
Don't let the moozlums in they'll put us in gas chambers!

Like jesus.

Exactly. They think this is what Jesus would do.

Misha

Banned
Theres very much historical precedence for that :\

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ugees-fearing-they-were-nazi-spies-180957324/
Most notoriously, in June 1939, the German ocean liner St. Louis and its 937 passengers, almost all Jewish, were turned away from the port of Miami, forcing the ship to return to Europe; more than a quarter died in the Holocaust.

^^^ what?

From Wikipedia (but this is easily confirmed with more conventional historical sources):
Refugees from Nazi Germany

In the years before and during World War II the United States Congress, the Roosevelt Administration, and public opinion expressed concern about the fate of Jews in Europe but consistently refused to permit large-scale immigration of Jewish refugees.

In a report issued by the State Department, Undersecretary of State Stuart Eizenstat noted that the United States accepted only 21,000 refugees from Europe and did not significantly raise or even fill its restrictive quotas, accepting far fewer Jews per capita than many of the neutral European countries and fewer in absolute terms than Switzerland.

According to David Wyman, "The United States and its Allies were willing to attempt almost nothing to save the Jews."

U.S. opposition to immigration in general in the late 1930s was motivated by the grave economic pressures, the high unemployment rate, and social frustration and disillusionment. The U.S. refusal to support specifically Jewish immigration, however, stemmed from something else, namely antisemitism, which had increased in the late 1930s and continued to rise in the 1940s. It was an important ingredient in America's negative response to Jewish refugees.

Canada was no better than the US regarding this part of our past. Both nations completely failed the Jewish European expats who fled NAZI oppression before the Second World War. This should be seen as one of the darkest and most damning periods of our national history in both the US and Canada.

As for the OP, this guy is exactly the kind of populist nut job that bought into the need for a "final solution to the Jewish problem" 80 years ago... he would no doubt have been one of Hitler's little American cheerleaders back then (and there were a lot of those, lest we forget)...

Foffy

Banned
"Man’s inhumanity to man can be quite shocking..."

The fact a Republican said this is so fucking meta.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

Yep, but not nearly enough. Gotta tweet at him to Google "Evian Conference"

Dude is an imbecile and hopefully this backfires totally.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
WaPo made a follow-up video about it, showcasing what a racist scumbag he is.

I made the mistake of reading the comments. I need bleach...

Azoor

What are they trying to say exactly? That these Muslims will commit genocide if they come to the US?

Tall4Life

They do realize that a somewhat similar form of the travel ban caused Jewish people to die in the holocaust because we turned them away, right?

Of course they don't.

Does anyone have that one letter made by someone in the US government giving their "reasoning" for turning away the refugees?

Pakkidis

The world’s a smaller place now than it was in World War II

I am confused by this, what does he mean by smaller place?

Given the free trade agreements between countries, population growth, new technologies to communicate etc isn't the world a bigger place?

His video is actually ANTI-travel ban, even though he's trying to promote it.

Many Jewish refugees were barred from entering other countries (aka a travel ban) and when they had to go back to Germany or Poland, they were put in gas chambers and killed.

This moron doesn't even realize he's making the point against a travel ban.

He thought he would "shock" people into accepting a travel ban, but all this does is show how inhuman it is.

Absolutely insane. "Look how terrible people are, killing people. Anyway, it's why we can't let in people who are fleeing from being killed. Plus, we should kill a lot of people.

Arcia

Banned
Many other Jewish immigrants also died because they were turned away from entering the US.

I'm aware of that. Just saying that having using this specific setting as an excuse for an even harsher travel ban is incredibly ironic.

Alucrid

Banned
the only time this dude probably likes the jewish people is when he can leverage their genocide for political gain

His video is actually ANTI-travel ban, even though he's trying to promote it.

Many Jewish refugees were barred from entering other countries and when they had to go back to Germany or Poland, they were put in gas chambers and killed.

This moron doesn't even realize he's making the point against a travel ban.

He thought he would "shock" people into accepting a travel ban, but all this does is show how inhuman it is.

it's not like the audience he's targeting will put that together either.

phanphare

Banned

yeah I was about to say, the US didn't want shit to do with the Jews until they had to

my grandfather got turned away and went to Cuba instead

Malvolio

Man proposes genocide of brown people.

Man condemns genocide of white people.

Man sees no hypocrisy.

Welcome to America.

Polk

I am confused by this, what does he mean by smaller place?

Given the free trade agreements between countries, population growth, new technologies to communicate etc isn't the world a bigger place?
I think the means that traveling huge distances is easier and faster than ever.

The comparison just breaks down no matter what.

If you view it in the perspective of the Nazi's gassing their own Jewish citizens, then uh, the people to be worried about would be the military, as they're the people with the power to actually do something like this. If viewed from the perspective of the Nazi's as a foreign power committing such atrocities on foreign soil (Auschwitz being in Poland and all), then that's purely a case of repelling invasion, not preventing migration or refugees from travelling.

This man is an idiot.

Azoor

That and to Israel if we stop supporting them. That's why we keep sending money and stuff.

And how Muslims will commit genocide exactly? I'm curious, I wanna know how they reached to that conclusion.

And they do realize Arabs waged war on Israel 4 times and lost right?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free!" - Adolph Hitler

Top Bottom