• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Houston Astros Say They're "Very Sorry" For Cheating to Win a World Series Title

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I hope they lead the league in HBP this year. Every time they get behind big, the other team should just start blasting the fools from the WS team.

Last edited:
The other leagues are far better with stuff like social media and tv. MLB is very diverse with lots of young fun talent, but they aren’t as mainstream because MLB is dumb in some ways.
This is 100% spot on.

If I were to walk down the street downtown and ask 50 people who Mike Trout is, I bet less than 15% would know.

If I were to do the same with Baker Mayfield, a second year QB who hasn't accomplished shit, I guarantee more people would know who he is.

MLB is terrible at marketing their stars. and they've somehow gotten worse at it over the last 20 years. Do you guys remember in the early 90's how big players like Griffey, Ripken, Frank Thomas, Barry Bonds, Albert Belle, etc were? Instead they want to change rules that will alienate their most hardcore fans.

Stupid.

Oh yeah, fuck the Astros too, but obviously there has to be SEVERAL other teams with similar systems. It's not like the first team to ever do it happens to be the first team caught as well.

This is 100% spot on.

If I were to walk down the street downtown and ask 50 people who Mike Trout is, I bet less than 15% would know.

If I were to do the same with Baker Mayfield, a second year QB who hasn't accomplished shit, I guarantee more people would know who he is.

MLB is terrible at marketing their stars. and they've somehow gotten worse at it over the last 20 years. Do you guys remember in the early 90's how big players like Griffey, Ripken, Frank Thomas, Barry Bonds, Albert Belle, etc were? Instead they want to change rules that will alienate their most hardcore fans.

Stupid.

Oh yeah, fuck the Astros too, but obviously there has to be SEVERAL other teams with similar systems. It's not like the first team to ever do it happens to be the first team caught as well.
Mike Trout is pacing to be the greatest positional player to ever play, and content to see him is almost exclusively behind a pay wall.

Not only do they restrict content, but the restrict personality if they can help it.

More personality, more bat flips, eliminate content restrictions

3c5xc3.gif

diffusionx

Gold Member
Isn’t the problem with Mike Trout that he is on a team that sucks balls every year? Put him on the Yankees and he is the biggest sports star in the USA, no doubt about it. Aaron Judge is a huge star. But not even that.. put Trout on a team that goes to the playoffs consistently and I bet he would be 100x more famous. That’s the only time baseball is national.

They need to come down hard on these guys to make an example. They went above and beyond with the sign stealing scheme over the course of a few seasons and should be shown the Pete Rose treatment or how the Chicago "Black Sox" of old were from that Shoeless Joe era.

Isn’t the problem with Mike Trout that he is on a team that sucks balls every year? Put him on the Yankees and he is the biggest sports star in the USA, no doubt about it. Aaron Judge is a huge star. But not even that.. put Trout on a team that goes to the playoffs consistently and I bet he would be 100x more famous. That’s the only time baseball is national.
The only people who know who Aaron Judge is outside of NY are baseball fans.

But ya, the Angels have been mediocre the last 3-4 seasons.

Compare that to the stars in the NFL or NBA. Who doesn't know LeBron James, Steph Curry, Pat Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers etc? When the NFL, a sport where your face is covered 95% of the time you're on camera, can have better star recognition, you have major issues.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The Astros cheating doesn't = the Konami Code tho. People need to keep that in mind.

There are a number of Pitchers even today that only throw 1 pitch a vast majority of the time. Mariano Rivera is a Hall Of Famer and was notorious for only throwing a Cutter. In reality he did throw more than that. Google says 86% of all his lifetime pitches were cutters. No one was looking for anything else, knew what was coming... still couldn't hit it.

Sean Doolittle throws his fastball 89% of the time. Still an effective closer

Kenley Jansen threw his cutter many years ago 90% of the time

Yep. Still takes a lot of talent to square up a round bat on a round ball. Especially a lively fastball with movement.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
There’s still a matter of the pitcher believing to have the element of surprise when they really don’t. Yeah Doolittle and Rivera might’ve thrown the same pitch 90% of the time, but they knew the batter was expecting it.
Americans must be good at baseball.

They always seem to win the world series.

Fuck

FUCK!

mind blown...did nobody else realize this by now?

FUUUUUCK!

Meowzers

There’s still a matter of the pitcher believing to have the element of surprise when they really don’t. Yeah Doolittle and Rivera might’ve thrown the same pitch 90% of the time, but they knew the batter was expecting it.

Fuck

FUCK!

mind blown...did nobody else realize this by now?

FUUUUUCK!

Yeeea maaan.. take another hit of the blunt.

I don't know if anyone has seen this, but I thought it was great. Cool to see Sebathia, Bauer and Grey talk about it from a pitchers perspective. I lined it up to start playing when they talk about the Astros

And judging by voice, Sonny Grey is a distant relative to Theo Von

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Meanwhile in Europe Manchester City FC get caught breaking the rules cooking their financial books and get banned from all european competitions for two years (bending MC appeal to CAS)

Last edited:
Top Bottom