• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How a Gaffer and his 3D printer trolled the world (2nd NX fake)

3D Printing is a real game-changer for hoaxes. 3D renders often don't hold up well to scrutiny, but actually having a physical object is a lot more convincing. I think it would be only proper if he could now finally provide a photo of the infamous tree in question. It would give some folks the closure they may crave.

So we assume that a man can use Gaf at his own advantage? With all the respect I have in his work, creating a fake and pretending it's true for days is wrong. It may even hurt a company, create some big misunderdtandings with investors and build giant useless threads for what, exactly?
Why not just post the video?

Because he wanted to have some fun. It didn't harm anything or anybody. Nintendo isn't doomed because of the leak and no one jumped from a building because of it.
Just admut that you thought it was real and now you are pissed. :p

Davey Cakes

Oh man. Whoever originally called out that this was a 3D print job, good work!

When we're starving for information, we're just susceptible to this sort of thing, unfortunately.

Good fake, but it's kind of hard to appreciate being played like a fiddle. The faker had a lot of this board by the balls. Maybe there's a lesson to be learned, at least.

Rob2K19

Hope this is a life lesson for you special folks who actually believed this nonsense.

Thanks for doing this. You made me laugh.

halfbeast

Banned
Welp, everything is possible now. When people are willing able to go to those lengths to create a fake controller, we really can't believe anything that doesn't come from Nintendo's press site.

Or a website that reports leaked photos from Taiwanese factories. Because, I mean, no one is going to construct a Taiwanese factory set AND a convincing fake controller AND hire Taiwanese models to dress in lab coats and pose for photos, right?......

eh, we don't need taiwanese models, just 3d print yourself some androids and dress those in lab coats. I mean, we already got realistic looking robots! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLy-AwdCOmI

Business

The first one looked 100% fake to me but this one was puzzling because it looked like an actual real object.

Turns out somebody had the resources and took the time to make it a real object... Good work.

gelf

Haha I love it. Very well played.

Hopefully at least some people will learn not to immediately dissolve into blind rage when they see something they don't like on the internet.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
He videoed the process while he was making it (I assume he didn't make a second one just for the video) so he obviously always intended to come out that it's a fake. I'm guessing he didn't expect it to go as far as it did. People were already suspect of the original fake (the moment the source of the screenshot used was found basically destroyed it due to the odd cropping) so surely they'd see through a second one soon enough.

Also 'trolling' is such an abused term now that its lost all meaning. Just accept that this was a bit of fun rib tickling and laugh it off.

We should all just reflect back on this moment.

bomblord1

Banned
Haha I love it. Very well played.

Hopefully at least some people will learn not to immediately dissolve into blind rage when they see something they don't like on the internet.

Pfth
GIF-Light-Yagami-s-Evil-Laugh-Death-Note-anime-35890756-300-169.gif

If we learned anything it's that people will fly into a blind rage over literally anything that even remotely doesn't suit their tastes.

Hasney

I got worked, I'd be annoyed if I was pulled in by the first pic, that looked fake as hell, but this is so good that I just have to applaud.

It's a good reminder that 3D printers are a fairly common thing now. Because I don't encounter them on my day to day, I always forget that.

Steejee

3D printers can do some amazing things, a little controller is fairly trivial (relatively speaking) compared to the things that have been generated. Ironically, Nintendo has probably 3D printed a lot of prototypes of the controller to try out ideas. I'd love to see the things they've come up with, and I have no doubt the fake is probably not too far off the mark of something they actually did try out given the sketch in the patent.

I wasn't one of those people, buuuut, I DID ask why anyone would go through all the trouble for teh lulz

Boy am I naive.

Well in addition to lulz it gets you some experience using the equipment. Sometimes you want to screw around with something but need a goal to properly motivate you. I get like that with coding - I can't just sit down with a new language and hack at it to learn it unless I have an actual project of some kind to focus me.

gelf

Pfth
GIF-Light-Yagami-s-Evil-Laugh-Death-Note-anime-35890756-300-169.gif

If we learned anything it's that people will fly into a blind rage over literally anything that even remotely doesn't suit their tastes.

Yeah that's optimistic. But hey maybe one person will learn, we just need a billion more fakes to convince the rest of them.

Because he wanted to have some fun. It didn't harm anything or anybody. Nintendo isn't doomed because of the leak and no one jumped from a building because of it.
Just admut that you thought it was real and now you are pissed. :p

I'm sorry if my tone looks harsh, the guy made an outstanding work and I definitely had fun in that thread. I just don't like this way of doing things.

Incredible. I love stuff like this so much. Reminds me of being a kid again - seeing the leaks, the photos, the discussions, the debates...so much damn fun.

Cowie

At least one person in these threads said "You can never be too sure about fakes now that 3D printers exist" and I thought "Yeah, but who would take the time?"

Well anyway, a new bar for fakes has been set. God damn.

Nazo

A very impressive fake. Really enjoyed watching the process he wen't through to make it.

The only thing that worries me about this fake is that other people will see it and decide to also 3D print out fake rumored hardware in the future. Were it'll only become more and more difficult to distinguish real leaks to printed fakes.

foxbeldin

Well done fellow gaffer. They were really entertaining threads.

edit : This guy deserves the tag for the best fake ever made.

SmartBase

It's amusing how much traction this thing got, good show.

No salt in here, I don't like trolls. Never did.

If you say so, but this:

So we assume that a man can use Gaf at his own advantage? With all the respect I have in his work, creating a fake and pretending it's true for days is wrong. It may even hurt a company, create some big misunderdtandings with investors and build giant useless threads for what, exactly?
Why not just post the video?

is like a concern troll, a ridiculous one at that. "Big misunderstandings with investors", Christ wept.

GOOCHY

Pretty amazing...

The funny thing about the whole episode is that it was believable that Nintendo would create a dumbshit controller like that.

Top Bottom