• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

how can microsoft win the war when its irrelevant in japan and most of europe?

mabuza

Banned
i'm finding this hard to understand. the console is practically dead in japan and apart from the UK basically irrelevant in europe. so is it possible for them to even the war when these place matter a lot?
i see europe eventually becoming the biggest market if it hasnt already and i cant see north america alone sustaining them.
so what can they do to make themselves relevant especially in europe as japan is a lost cause

Petrarca

Banned
rakka said:
Wrong, the Xbox is huge in Japan.

icon_surprised.gif

Steroyd

Sony's PS2 dominance was US EU and JP split. 40:40:20

MS would have to appeal to people who don't normally play games in America to make up the appeal they don't have anywhere else.

JoeFenix

Well this is gonna be interesting! :lol

It all depends on how much sway the games will have on people. With some price drops and a shitload of good titles, even the most rabid MS haters might have to reluctantly jump in.

Also depends on how agressive Sony becomes in those markets.

Nintendo ends up in first for sure though. Absolutely no doubt there.

Steroyd

FightyF said:
Nintendo's gonna win...like it or not.

Maybe the title should be "can Microsoft not come third place?"

Lock now, lock later, lock now, lock later, what to do, what to do.

See how it pans out, you never know it might become a good intellectual debate. *giggles*

dog$

Hates quality gaming
mabuza said:
what can they do to make themselves relevant especially in europe as japan is a lost cause
The same thing they and every other company tries to do: offer products at a sustainable price that people will buy, optimally moreso than the competition.

Microsoft just has to keep trying new things and respond to their mistakes differently to change anything they see as a negative trend. I'm quite sure they're aware of the global situation.

Meanwhile, your concern for MS is touching.
sp0rsk said:
Lock now, lock later, lock now, lock later, what to do, what to do.
Aye.
Borys said:
Metal Gear Solid 4 will win the Japan.
yeah MGS is always a huge seller in Japan

huge

Borys

Banned
Halo 3 will win the US.
Mass Effect + BioShock will win the EU (they are PC RPGs after all)

There you have it, 360 wins the war.

Steroyd

Borys said:
Halo 3 will win the US.
Mass Effect + BioShock will win the EU (they are PC RPGs after all)

There you have it, 360 wins the war.

OI!! >_<

GTA is Europes bitch not some PC RPG, Party games like Viva Pinata and Rockband/GHIII also do the trick.

FightyF

Banned
Europe, with its censorship of games...is a scary market.

If classics like Dead Rising and Gears of War can't be played in certain countries...I wonder how they get by. :p

In their battle with Playstation, MS has taken drastic measures to make sure they hit the <$200 price point first...they probably feel that being cheaper and offering majority of the same titles will allow them to win this generation

Japan is Japan...what more can be said

Blasphemy

They can rename it the 'World Series of Consoles'

That way even 2nd place in NA will get them some kind of runner up award whilst still being completely irrelevant in the rest of the world.

Steroyd

FightyF said:
Europe, with its censorship of games...is a scary market.

If classics like Dead Rising and Gears of War can't be played in certain countries...I wonder how they get by. :p

Germany is the only country that does that, in the EU as far as I know.

Oh and the UK banned Rule of Rose that one time...

Spark

I dont think its just UK that its doing well in... Ireland seems to have taken the xbox 360 well...

The goal isn't to win.. its to increase market share, not necessary to win the generation.

Obaid

Banned
NEXTGEN SALE NUMBERS GERMANY

Sales until 05.2007

Xbox 360 : 262.000 (since DEC. 2005)
Wii : 222.000 (since DEC. 2006)
PS3: 70.500 (Since March 2007)

Sales for 05.07

Xbox 360: 9.500
Wii: 20.000
PS3: 16.000

4200+ models huh?

Hmm...There's gotta be one that fits my tastes.

gljvd said:
because as it gets a bigger install base it will get better and more games and its market share in these markets will grow because of this , which will in turn lead to more games .

Its very simple .

What?

jimbo said:
So now the 360 is "irrelevant" in Europe? Wow.

WTF are you smoking OP? Even by GAF's estimates the 360 is over 3 million in Europe, and should be well over 5 by the end of the year. The 360 will surpass what the Xbox and GC did in Europe in their entire life by the end of this year.

Why?

gljvd

Banned
because as it gets a bigger install base it will get better and more games and its market share in these markets will grow because of this , which will in turn lead to more games .

Its very simple .

jimbo

Banned
So now the 360 is "irrelevant" in Europe? Wow.

WTF are you smoking OP? Even by GAF's estimates(which I seriously question) the 360 is over 3 million in Europe, and should be well over 5 by the end of the year. The 360 will surpass what the Xbox and GC did in Europe in their entire life by the end of this year.

Nolan.

AnimeTheme said:
How do you define "winner" for this generation? Must there be only one winner?

Whoever profits enough to feel it worth another effort. Last time Nintendo wasn't any clear winner but they profited enough even in last place. This time I reckon only two will profit yet again and they will be winners but only first place gets a badge and more games.

:lol @ bud's webcam pic.

Steeven

I really like the 360 line-up in games but with all those defects like the red ring of death and the scratches on DvD's I bought a new PC instead. I'm sure I'm not the only one who does not buy a 360 because of the defects.

legend166

AnimeTheme said:
How do you define "winner" for this generation? Must there be only one winner?

Well, you could say that MS was a winner if they profit.

But it doesn't look like they're going to profit.

ShinNL

View Profile: mabuza
Total Posts: 1,045 (7.77 posts per day)

Man, that's awesome..

Spark said:
The goal isn't to win.. its to increase market share, not necessary to win the generation.

No, that was last gens excuse. "First to 10 million wins", remember?

jimbo said:
WTF are you smoking OP? Even by GAF's estimates(which I seriously question) the 360 is over 3 million in Europe, and should be well over 5 by the end of the year.

So... you believe;
2 years of sales = ~3 million (current LTD)
6 months of sales (rest of year) = ~2 million (to meet your "well over 5")

...how exactly?
in before buh-buh-but HALO 3!!!1111eleventyone

Top Bottom