• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How cannonically fast is Sonic? [Asking for documents and proof.]

really cringe-worthy to read.

this is probably something that the creators and sonic team don't give a shit about.

yet somehow, someone somewhere is serious about these things.
It's not like this is the only franchise this applies to

9f349619c5634e26d5c80810788e978f-d6nbb60.jpg

From the Sonic Wikia:
"It is unknown how much faster Sonic can run beyond Mach 1, though it is on various occasions assumed that he can. In Sonic Battle, it is stated that he can move several times the speed of sound and when the Final Egg Blaster was about to fire, Sonic defeated Ultimate Emerl in less than 30 seconds. It is also believed that Sonic can move faster while in spinball form than running, possibly even reaching the speed of light as seen in Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes where he could utilize the Light Speed Attack and the Light Speed Dash to achieve light speed movements. Also, in Sonic Unleashed, the Checkpoints, which measure his speed (SPD) in-game, can clock Sonic going over 2,800 SPD; in comparison, the Light Speed Dash measures 396 SPD. This suggests that Sonic can move at speeds far greater than the speed of light."

So you really telling me, that Sonic is so fast, in each stage of Unleashed, he's really lapping the stage multiple times, but we're playing out the animation, his frames leave?

THIS GOES BEYOND 60FPS

Flash is like that kid at recess who always shouts that he's immune to bullets, or suddenly has a shield, or manages to dodge your bullet, when playing cops and robbers.

Being faster than light is sooo nonsense.

Light ain't shit.

Flash is faster than death.

...Well, super death. So faster than regular death and the faster death that comes for people too fast for regular death.

It's funny, you could say the same thing about the Flash.

lol you sound offended.

It's not like this is the only franchise this applies to

9f349619c5634e26d5c80810788e978f-d6nbb60.jpg

i could get behind that, just because it is talking about real-world applications from mathematical and statistical theorems. who knows, the game is actually using those formulas to drive its algorithms.

on the other hand, sonic being faster than a fighter jet because it was mentioned in a cutscene from some game, i mean those vaguely descriptive "facts turned fiction" those ones i just have to cringe so hard.

From the Sonic Wikia:
"It is unknown how much faster Sonic can run beyond Mach 1, though it is on various occasions assumed that he can. In Sonic Battle, it is stated that he can move several times the speed of sound and when the Final Egg Blaster was about to fire, Sonic defeated Ultimate Emerl in less than 30 seconds. It is also believed that Sonic can move faster while in spinball form than running, possibly even reaching the speed of light as seen in Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes where he could utilize the Light Speed Attack and the Light Speed Dash to achieve light speed movements. Also, in Sonic Unleashed, the Checkpoints, which measure his speed (SPD) in-game, can clock Sonic going over 2,800 SPD; in comparison, the Light Speed Dash measures 396 SPD. This suggests that Sonic can move at speeds far greater than the speed of light."

http://a.pomf.se/uuchac.webm

D3adend

Neo Member
It's funny, you could say the same thing about the Flash.

Hold the fuck up.

Comic book writers give a shit about how fast the Flash goes and what his limits are, ask Mark Waid, I dare you.

The Flash can run backwards in time.

The Flash can tap into the Speedforce which is the bullshit that makes it so he can turn while moving fast without destroying the city, also from destroying everything. He can use his powers to heal, he can impart some speed onto others, he can run through walls, and he has built houses in seconds from scratch, including reading a book on building houses.

Most importantly, Wally West is so fast his costume is MADE OF SPEED. He is so fast he can outrun logic and reason.

Aldurin

Neo Member
If we're counting the explosion/space jump that kicked off the Lost In Space story arc in the Sonic Comics, then definitely Sonic is faster.

. . . Oh my god I'm sourcing Sonic comics please send an ambulance.

Hold the fuck up.

Comic book writers give a shit about how fast the Flash goes and what his limits are, ask Mark Waid, I dare you.

The Flash can run backwards in time.

The Flash can tap into the Speedforce which is the bullshit that makes it so he can turn while moving fast without destroying the city, also from destroying everything. He can use his powers to heal, he can impart some speed onto others, he can run through walls, and he has built houses in seconds from scratch, including reading a book on building houses.

Most importantly, Wally West is so fast his costume is MADE OF SPEED. He is so fast he can outrun logic and reason.

Looks like he just reached speeds of Sonic. Sonic's faster than comprehension. Flash is quick, but he ain't fast.

DeVeAn

There is that game theory channel on YouTube. Basically, in Unleashed, Sonic while boosting can side step without losing speed. That is damn fast!

XueKingOfBeast

Neo Member
Even tho flash is way faster sonics speed doesnt matter. Flash is one withe the speed force. the source of all speed, and if he wants he can use it to take sonics speed away. Without the ability to move fast Sonics past failures which hes been trying to outrun his entire life will catch up to him. As he places the gun from Shadow The Hedgehog game in his mouth the last this he see's is the Flash lapping him for the 100th time before he pulls the trigger.

Even tho flash is way faster sonics speed doesnt matter. Flash is one withe the speed force. the source of all speed, and if he wants he can use it to take sonics speed away. Without the ability to move fast Sonics past failures which hes been trying to outrun his entire life will catch up to him. As he places the gun from Shadow The Hedgehog game in his mouth the last this he see's is the Flash lapping him for the 100th time before he pulls the trigger.

This is bs, with a history of bad games, he has infinite motivation to continue running forever, thus is perpetually generating speed, and doesn't need the speed force. He is fast. Matter in fact, Flash needs Sonic in order to even run fast.

New Sonic game coming.

XueKingOfBeast

Neo Member
This is bs, with a history of bad games, he has infinite motivation to continue running forever, thus is perpetually generating speed, and doesn't need the speed force. He is fast. Matter in fact, Flash needs Sonic in order to even run fast.

New Sonic game coming.

but with his speed stolen hes no longer able to outrun his bad games. all those failures hed eluded for so long hitting him at once. He never stood a chance.

DeVeAn

But Sonic can time travel, as he did in Sonic CD. With that and the time stones he could prevent Flash from even being born...lol. For fun.

XueKingOfBeast

Neo Member

New Sonic game coming.

But Sonic can time travel, as he did in Sonic CD. With that and the time stones he could prevent Flash from even being born...lol. For fun.

So can Flash. and as there are multiple flashes( Barry, Bart, ect) they have the advantage of speed, and numbers.or flash can steal sonics shoes, without those sonics feat with catch fire and burn off if he tried to run too fast.

So can Flash. and as there are multiple flashes( Barry, Bart, ect) they have the advantage of speed, and numbers.or flash can steal sonics shoes, without those sonics feat with catch fire and burn off if he tried to run too fast.

Sonic Labyrinth did happen sadly. But then again that might be a godsend.

The return of those dope ass Soaps.

Comic book Sonic is just as broken as Flash.
Sonic is the Cody of speedsters.

Silky

Banned
really cringe-worthy to read.

this is probably something that the creators and sonic team don't give a shit about.

yet somehow, someone somewhere is serious about these things.

lol, okay.

---

Flash would destroy SEGA Sonic. Archie Sonic...now that's debateable.

Ishida

Banned
Wow, this is creepy... The question actually came to my mind yesterday, out of nothing. I thought it was weird, like "... What..? Why did I just think of that...?"

And today I see a thread about it. Are we mentally connected, OP?

I remember reading somewhere that Super Sonic can move faster than light, so assuming that Super Sonic times Sonic's speed by a certain amount, then Hyper Sonic would then times Super Sonic's speed by a certain amount.

So, fast.

*Splinter

There is a good entertaining video made by The Game Theorist about Sonic speed vs Mario speed. Here is the link:

http://youtu.be/ze_uxxFJTvE
At his 'top' speed in that video, he changes 'lanes' seemingly instantaneously without losing any forward speed, and they don't bother to mention it?

It looks like he can move significantly faster than he is running, but can't see things fast enough to react to them (a la Flash). So his running speed as measured there was limited by him moving slowly to give himself time to react, rather than how fast he is actually capable of running.

(Also, the presentation of that video was fucking excruciating).

I think it's pretty irrefutable that Sonic is the fastest
hedgehog
alive.

Village

Light ain't shit.

Flash is faster than death.

...Well, super death. So faster than regular death and the faster death that comes for people too fast for regular death.

If you wanna get real.

Shadow the hedgehog can move faster than time and space so, there is that.

Kind of fitting his personality how he does it though

Sonic characters ain't nothing to fuck with, apparently.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Kamen Rider Kabuto is faster than both.

Hyper Clock Up is stopping time itself and going beyond.

19300001363321131796291827061_950.jpg

Wow, this is creepy... The question actually came to my mind yesterday, out of nothing. I thought it was weird, like "... What..? Why did I just think of that...?"

And today I see a thread about it. Are we mentally connected, OP?
I am Legion.
Kamen Rider Kabuto is faster than both.

Hyper Clock Up is stopping time itself and going beyond.

19300001363321131796291827061_950.jpg
Chaos Control tho.

At his 'top' speed in that video, he changes 'lanes' seemingly instantaneously without losing any forward speed, and they don't bother to mention it?

It looks like he can move significantly faster than he is running, but can't see things fast enough to react to them (a la Flash). So his running speed as measured there was limited by him moving slowly to give himself time to react, rather than how fast he is actually capable of running.

(Also, the presentation of that video was fucking excruciating).

I think it's pretty irrefutable that Sonic is the fastest
hedgehog
alive.

Sonic Wikia said:
Sonic's speed does not seem to have certain weaknesses in that recklessness (the possibility of crashing into unintended targets) and "straight-line only" concepts are invoked, showing he has complete mastery over his speed. Sonic is additionally shown to be able to run in full tight circles, thus is not exposed to the impotency of only being able to run fast in straight lines. Should he be running at uncontrollable speeds, he can utilize the Drift to opportunely control his momentum and even crash into foes with it.

I believe Ulillillia managed to get Bubsy from an SNES game to move faster than Megadrive-era Sonic could, in terms of pixel movement on screen. It required exploiting some bugs in the game's physics though, IIRC.

EDIT: Derp, I forgot this was about canon (storyline) speed. I just wanted an excuse to remind myself of Ulillillia

Top Bottom