• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How close are we to an all digital gaming future?

levyjl1988

Banned
Seems like there are those still resistant from going all-digital in video games.
With PC everything is through Steam, GoG, etc. Gone are the floppy disks, CD's, USB thumb drives, now everything is being stored through HDD's, downloaded from online stores etc.
Digital games are easily transferred from p2p, torrents and downloaded.

But on the handheld and console gaming physical is still surviving.
There have been subtle ways that publishers promoted digital.
One being, the lack of effort on physical boxes. If you noticed for example N64, Gameboy Colour, Gameboy Advance, there were boxes that had different artwork on all sides of the box. There was thick instruction manuals, etc.Then boxes were replaced by the DVD case, which I loved. The DVD cases took up very little space, it had a plastic cover to prevent damage on the inside cover sheet, etc. The manuals slipped inside by these two holders and the DVD was held in place by a push-button mechanism. Then the quality started to deteriorate. No longer was there an effort anymore. Plastic was heavily reduced with those shitty eco cases, making it easy to puncture the case with a pen and ruin the cover sheets. Gone are the manuals and instruction booklets in favor of in-game tutorials, etc. In its place were DLC codes, online passes that deterred used game copies, Cover art that would have a double print was regulated to single print, etc. The overall physical copy dropped, there were less weight.

For the Xbox 360 days you would put a game like Halo Reach and play the game after attending a sweet launch event.
For Xbox One, there wasn't really a launch event but installing it to your HDD, which tooks hours based on your internet connection.

Games that are physical now lack almost everything.
It's lacking the Day one patch and future patches. It's lacking the DLC and expansions, etc.

What you are really getting is a vanilla copy of the game. So if the apocalypse occurs where there is no internet and you pick up a brand new switch console and say Animal Crossing New Horizons, you won't get those patches to install, you won't download those expansions and new content. The content is split up from the physical copy. Gone are the glory days where you bought the game and it was sold to you as an all in one product, whatever bugs are in there was shipped with the game.

Game development now is difficult, too many things can go wrong, quality control is gone. Companies can ship out a broken game and release a patch for it next, if that patch is also broken, release another patch.
Games being watched are no longer the game it was originally. I mean sure you can play the game unpatched from a physical copy, but the numerical patches in between are lost. Physical games are either non patched or latest patch.

Physical games are not inserted into a drive to play directly anymore, it's a means of a physical license key. Though not being tethered to being account bound, it can be traded and resold.
Who really lends games to friends anymore, if it's a multiplayer game and you and your friend want to play, then each gets their own copy.

Next-Gen Consoles are releasing with two versions, disc version and all digital. That option is given to promote an all-digital future.
Samsung stopped manufacturing 4k BluRay players.
Modern laptops don't have a DVD or BluRay drive, although can be purchased external.
Physical media is being dropped altogether in favour of streaming.

How long until physical gaming is completely wiped out?

I understand there are those still going for all digital with Limited Run Games releasing physical copies of games with all the manuals, printed documents, occupying CE box, etc. And then those are bought up by scalpers and resold for higher prices online.

To be honest, when I buy a physical copy I am happy when a game released does not have a slipcover or insert in its original manufacture. I guess it gives me that peace of mind that I don't have to hunt for missing parts when going for complete in box. Just a simple cover art, perhaps holographic or something would suffice. Worrying about packaging in collector's editions are kinda annoying especially when one wants to keep it mint.

Anyways going back on topic.

How long until physical gaming is completely wiped out?
Is this going to be the last gen we see physical? Microsoft promoting their Game Pass and Xcloud, etc.
What year would that be?

Ozzie666

2 generations with physical options. Only thing keeping physical is stores, who won't carry Console systems if they can't sell used games.

Abear21

Banned
Ask Stadia. 107k units in two months ain’t too hot.

Gaming is more popular than ever and while this generation being incredible and Covid played equally into the industry doing so well, I’d argue we’ll sooner see another console or a Sega comeback before we are forced to go all digital.

Maybe 15-20 years?

Last edited:

Kerotan

I think the ps6 will have an ultra HD blu ray drive. They'll be super cheap by then and they'll launch a more expensive sku with it included for the 20% or so that still care by then.

Abear21

Banned
I basically buy all digital now and I will still get a console with the physical option. I just think there will always be demand for physical media and that hardware with the option is worth more.

I also have a PSPGo and Im not a huge fan. It feels weird being at their mercy for games and knowing I can’t just buy or borrow a used game.

I also feel like companies don’t take away options to buy their products and as long as there’s some demand and drives stay cheap they’ll include them.

Arkam

I doubt we see disks drives after the PS5/XSX except in developing regions. I love physical media, but it is no longer an efficient experience.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
It would have been dead by now if games stayed in the 10-20GB range instead of being upwards of 200GB that has to fit on a 1TB hard drive.

Swapping games out in a current all digital environment means having to download games for hours instead of just putting a disk in and doing an install+patch.

dcx4610

The issue with consoles is the platform changes every time. You have PS2 games that work on a PS2. PS3 games on a PS3 and so on.

For PC, you simply have PC games.

There will be physical on consoles as long as there's a market for it and people like to collect. I could see someone like Sony eventually forcing it the next generation but by then, most people will already be accepting of digital.

Look at Spotify. I see so many enraging comments about songs not being on Spotify. Maybe buy the CD or just get the digital files? People want stuff spoonfed to them. Convenience is king to the masses and that will ultimately kill physical.

DelireMan7

This thread makes me sad. I love physical and it makes me sad to see it disappearing. The time of game manual was glorious :)

I think physical gaming will disappear with the "Next next gen" (the gen after PS5/XBSX). They already sell "digital" version of the incoming console...

DavidGzz

Essentially 100%. I think I own 3 current gen physical games and they were all gifts. I wonder if Gamestop will try to force bundles with next gen consoles. I remember they did that with Xbox 360. Also, I'm almost 39(a couple weeks) and have been gaming since the Atari so it's not cause I'm young. I just go with the flow and I love the convenience. I never used to sell my games anyway.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Not sure how close we are but I'm not sure I want it to be all-digital. When Sony makes those savings not having to go through third party retail, I highly doubt they'll pass on the savings to customers. There'll be some leveling out since you can rip people off to a certain extent before you get bad press for it.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Very close..

giphy.gif

MrFunSocks

Banned
It’ll be at the music and movie industry level within 3-4 years imo. Talking probably 80% digital. It exploded from like 10% to over 50% in a few years, digital is now bigger than physical, and it’s only going to accelerate.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
We are further away from the "all digital future" now than when we were prior to this gen. Don't forget Xbox One's original DRM plan.

During the gen, it became cheap enough to print / lucrative enough to sell physical copies of indie games that otherwise wouldn't get a physical release. Some of these were truly "limited", some were open preorders, and some were just Special Editions. A boutique market emerged and continues to grow. If physical was dying, there would be no money for this niche market and it certainly wouldn't be growing. But market forces seem to indicate that a segment of gamers cannot get enough physical games and they're willing to pay a premium (above the digital price) to get a physical copy.

Birdo

Banned
Very close now. In the UK it's now over 75% of sales going to Digital (Probably higher after COVID).

You can yell "PhYsiCal fOr LyFE" all you want, but next gen will be the last physical. Deal with it.

I would bet a lot of money on the disc-less versions of next gen consoles outselling the disc ones.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Digital being more prevalent and the industry going all-digital are two different things.

Physical books and physical music (even old vinyl) had a resurgence after the initial conversion over to digital. People like novelty and in some sense even if physical is relegated to a novelty it will still sell enough to be profitable.

Birdo

Banned
Physical no longer has any advantage over digital.

You still need the servers for patches and updates (In many cases, the rest of the game lol).

Next gen will be even worse. I can tell you right now that most games will only be partially on the disc. The rest will be a download.

DavidGzz

Yeah, they are pretty much essentially authetication keys anymore and anyone saying physical for life must be planning to die within the next 7 years. :D

hard_boiled

Neophyte
I personally do not think that the solid state price point is there yet for capacity, which is a big limiting factor. I live in the US. I have lived in both rural & urban areas. In the rural areas sometimes the best internet that can be had is ~1mb/s, thats 0.125mB/s. Currently the internet I have is the best internet I have ever had, which is ~100mb/s or 12.5mB/s, but its ludicrously expensive. Therefore, I do not think it is realistic to expect people to constantly delete & re-download games. I know for me personally I sometimes do this on my PC with older games I want to revisit. Historically this has entailed me leaving on my PC for as long as several weeks (with my fingers crossed there is not an internet or power outage!). Even if SSD storage was cheap enough to allow for 5TB, 10TB, 20TB+ drives, users would still have to download the games, which in many areas is still simply unfeasible/unreasonable.
Additionally, in an era where you can be digitally cancelled for he said she said shenanigans or perceived racism or honestly at this point in time apparently anything really (see reee bans & the years of YT, Twitter, FB, etc individual & blanket bans ranging from sympathetic but unjust to inherently ridiculous in nature) I do not think that it is plausible either. We already know from DRM that companies do not have respect for the consumer. Why wouldn't Sony or Microturd close out peoples accounts unilaterally, permanently locking them out of all of their purchases? Microturd unilaterally converted my MS Office 2019 purchase into a Microsoft 365 subscription without even informing me. JPMorgan Chase unilaterally changed the terms of an auto loan I had, restricting me to MtM payments. What would limit Sony or MS from doing this? I don't think anything at all.
From both the storage, internet speed, & ownership perspective I prefer physical.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I forgot to order a disc drive to my custom build pc last year and thought fuck why did I forget that.

Haven't felt the need for it yet though. I never use the drive. Everything is digital only for me.

I do understand why people don't want it on consoles, because with the walled gardens Microsoft and Sony have they'll probably fuck you over.

hard_boiled

Neophyte

You still need the servers for patches and updates (In many cases, the rest of the game lol).

Next gen will be even worse. I can tell you right now that most games will only be partially on the disc. The rest will be a download.

I agree for the most part, but I would at least like for games to be partially on disk to alleviate download time. I don't want to buy a game & have to wait several hours to several days to download. I think as SSD capacity/cost ratio improves all digital will be much more reasonable.

Last edited:

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
I accept it's coming, but I'll personally resist as long as I can. Also, OP, how many times have you stabbed a game box with a pen? Only, I've been gaming since 83 and managed it precisely ZERO times.

Impotaku

Totally depends on the console as Nintendo stuff at bare minimum fully works without needing the rest of the code downloading because a dev was shit and couldn't be bothered to finish it before releasing it at full price. And yes i'm aware of those equally shit switch 3rd party devs like ubisoft that cheap out and use the smaller capacity cards and include only half the game on there and require you to download the other half.

im half and half now as there are some stuff that you can only get digitally but if theres a physical version i go for it every time even if it costs more as i like to have freedom with those games. Far too many times shit gets delisted, lose access to your account and your fucked.

Tschumi

The only games in my life that I don't own digitally are... 4 PS Vita games I couldn't find on online stores - which I can now get digitally anyway after I hacked my console. So, fluh~ I'm already in an all-digital future, practically speaking. I prefer it.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
That's plainly untrue. Some people just like a physical copy in the same way that some people need an Xbox controller and can't handle a Playstation controller. That's an "advantage" that can't be replicated by digital, in the same way that symmetric sticks cannot replicate the feel of an asymmetric stick Xbox controller.

Beyond this, there are manuals, cover art, extraneous physical goods that people spend their money on. For me I appreciate goodies but never spend extra on them. Still, it's an "advantage" that digital does not offer. If I buy a digital game at launch, the storefront doesn't send me a monthly Loot Crate full of preorder bonuses and knick knacks.

And even if all "objective" advantages are removed, there is still the novelty aspect, which i mentioned in my post. The novelty may be of no value to you and to millions of others. Conceded. But if it is valuable to enough people to keep it profitable, then it'll remain and the "all digital future" will never arrive.

That isn't always the case, especially with these indie physical releases. These releases will often be a year or more after the digital release and will include all patches and DLC. Not always, but often enough for it to be noteworthy.

future?

it's been at least 3 years since I last saw physical media

then again, it's also been 3 years since I've been living the true nextgen virtual gaming future... and leaving virtual worlds to change discs is no fun

cheers from Neolithic, dear Paleolithic

I'd like to know if you can download and play digital ps4 and xbox one games on to the new consoles first.

And if you have any physical disks you won't be playing any updated versions on the xbox series S.

Castef

Banned
I guess that the decline in physical purchases will much faster for videogames than movies.

Now, considering that entertainment products on DVD and blu-ray amounted last year at a mere 10 billion dollars...

I guess we are pretty near to an almost-all-digital future for videogames.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I”ve been in the future for 5 years or so. The real future is in the cloud...

yurqqa

Many people are just used to being able to resale games.

It'll pass. Soon you'll be telling your kids about simpler better times.

I don't resell games and many games need patches anyway. So I'm digital since 2013 anyway.

martino

on closed box i'm still a dinosaur . I will never leave that era and die with it because of a meteor at some point

Last edited:
Covid sped up the digital to physical transition ratio, that's for sure. But I don't think we'll see the total disappearance of physical games as an option for at least 10-20 years, if ever. As DunDun said the novelty and collection aspect alone will keep a certain percentage of physical sales alive perhaps indefinitely. In the near term, internet speeds and data caps play a massive role in limiting the onset of all digital as well. The United States embarrassingly has a pathetic all around net infrastructure fraught with all kinds of partisan political and budgetary barriers that are not likely to get this country up to speed with the rest of the developed world anytime soon & this will continue to limit the feasibility of all digital while increasing/stabilizing demand for physical in various pockets and regions around the country.

Graciaus

Once digital sales on consoles match what you can buy a physical copy for. It's cheaper to just buy physical the majority of the time.

The transition on PC is great. I would never buy a physical copy and digital games are always cheap. Except for a handful of greedy publishers who never have sales.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Moving to digital would be easy if the publishers actually wanted to: cut all release price by 20% or more compared to the retail version.

Done.

B-b-but retailers will be angry.

Who cares? I thought retailers were going away anyway due to the all-digital future.

But instead, the companies always make excuses for why they are charging just as much for digital, adding on all these DLCs and microtransactions, etc etc

Basically "pay us just as much money now for digital and someday it'll be cheaper for you in the future" and they've been saying this for a decade.

Top Bottom