• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How come a DVD disc that worked fine a few years ago...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shompola

Banned
... now has a hard time being read by the DVD Player? This is the second time this happens to me. I watch the movie a few times.. don't touch it for a while(2 years or so in this case).
I watch the movie today and what happens sound drops, picture artifacts in a couple of scenes... they aren't really random. DVD movies have been in their boxes since I watched them last time. No dust, dirt, scratches or anything else. Cleaned the discs with water and soft cloth and it doesn't help at all, well now the discs have several hairline scratches doh. Test it on another DVD player and same problem.
So anyone here knows why this happens?

ManaByte

What DVD is it? Some of the older dual layer DVDs have an issue. It's not exactly laser rot like LDs suffered from, but it's similar. Basically, some of the older Warnder RSDL discs (Contact is one) have a problem with the "glue".

Shompola

Banned
perfect blue. that anime show. started to get fucked up in chapter 6.
babylon 5 season 3 disc 1 I believe. can't remember but it was disc 3.

again the discs seemed to be just fine from the looks of it. but they started to act weird after a few years.

Brannon

There were reports that DVDs and CDs would start to micro-deteriorate after a time. Maybe that could be it?

Shompola

Banned
Yes I have tried to clean the dvdplayer. Also tried it in a pcdvd player. Same result. Same scenes etc. start to skip.

I have read about dvd's and such starting to micro deterioate after a while. But this dvd's are maximum 6 years old. And I have other dvd movies from 1998-99 that work just fine. But you never know maybe they will start deterioate soon. Funny my cds that I have had for over a decade work just fine. Maybe reading cd data is less sensitive?

bjork

Hitokage said:
Then again, Perfect Blue IS a Manga release. ;)

The man has a point.

But perhaps those discs are prone to the equivalent of tape rot, as DJ Brannon said... that would suck for some of the more expensive boxsets people have. :(

Outlaw

Banned
bjork said:
The man has a point.

But perhaps those discs are prone to the equivalent of tape rot, as DJ Brannon said... that would suck for some of the more expensive boxsets people have. :(

Time to make back-up copies!!

It could be a glue thing.

I don't know about Perfect Blue or any of Manga's DVDs, but some of ADV's older discs have a problem with glue wearing out then moisture gets in and does all the wonderful things that moisture does.

I hope my Battle Angel/Gunnm DVD is fine since it's an older ADV release and is now out of print :(

luxsol

Shompola said:
... now has a hard time being read by the DVD Player? This is the second time this happens to me. I watch the movie a few times.. don't touch it for a while(2 years or so in this case).
I watch the movie today and what happens sound drops, picture artifacts in a couple of scenes... they aren't really random. DVD movies have been in their boxes since I watched them last time. No dust, dirt, scratches or anything else. Cleaned the discs with water and soft cloth and it doesn't help at all, well now the discs have several hairline scratches doh. Test it on another DVD player and same problem.
So anyone here knows why this happens?
Hold the discs up to a light. If there are any holes in your discs, then you have moisture and heat problems. That shiny metal stuff oxidizes (rusts). Heat also causes the glue to come off as well, so it may be how and where you store your discs.

The best way to store them is away from the sun, windows and bathroom. Have them stand UPRIGHT or sideways; don't lay them down flat because that can cause them to warp overtime.

Shompola

Banned
Hello,

Thanks for all information I have got from all of you nice people.
I checked Perfect Blue under direct light, in this case the lamp... I can't see any holes or anything such. It looks fine as much as I can tell. But then again it's kinda hard to tell because you can also see the entire frontside art thru it.
The DVD's are standing upright, have allways been like that. There is no risk for heat. The discs are stored in a bookshelf and no sunlight directly shines on it. Moisture I don't know if there is any problem here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom