• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How come Capcm only cares about classic Mega Man?

Sephzilla

reposters---get-out_o_405779.gif

he's not wrong though

Village

Logically speaking its problably the one woth the most nostalgia that isnt zero (the character, ) or nt warrior.

Blackage

People hate to hear Megaman 9 & 10 were shameless nostalgia cashgrabs but it's the truth. They were great Megaman games, don't get me wrong, but they didn't have to be 8-bit style, after Megaman 9, Megaman 10 would have greatly benefited from trying something different or using at least PSX era sprite graphics as opposed for going for that same cash grab, when MM10 failed, it's no wonder why Capcom just abandoned the series yet again.

That being said, I do wish we get current gen collection version of X, and surely they can do the same for Legends, and Battle Network/Starforce (always interested in trying out the series but fuck trying to hunt for the games).

Mega Man X Collection came out ten years ago. Zero Collection came out 6 years ago.

If you have a 3ds, you're in luck with Zero, but MMX Collection requires either a Gamecube, ps2.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Well, I think it's the easiest bunch to port and the marketing dept told them the series has the most nostalgia appeal.

Mega Man X is where is at.

On a general note like others have said....Capcom cares little about Mega Man these days.

SoulUnison

Banned
X is marred by a string of bad to mediocre games from X6 on and the story doesn't have much room left to go anywhere.
Zero ended conclusively.
Battle Network ended fairly conclusively.
Star Force sort of ended but wasn't really popular enough to revisit, anyway.
Legends was attempted. Please don't make me think of MML3 again.

Classic's really the way to go for maximum viability, though I wish they'd revisit Battle Network.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
X & Zero were in both Project X Zone games, Zero was in MvsC3 replacing classic MM who'd been in the previous MvsC's.

If theres any MM who needs love its Battle Network MM. Don't they remember when that series literally printed them money, in all likeliness moreso than any other MM series at that?

javadoze

X is marred by a string of bad to mediocre games from X6 on and the story doesn't have much room left to go anywhere.
Zero ended conclusively.

Classic's really the way to go for maximum viability, though I wish they'd revisit Battle Network.

It's crazy to think there was once a time when these spinoffs would be releasing games concurrently and sometimes have multiple ones releasing games in the same year.

If Capcom doesn't want another classic entry, then they should create a new Megaman spinoff.

Zero ended conclusively.

Arguing quality in Classic Mega Man's favor seems a bit disingenuous. I'd only really say 2, 3, and maybe 9 are must plays. 1 is highly flawed for instance. 4 makes the buster overpowered and the game screams "out of ideas." 5 and 6 are pretty good but not essential. 7 doesn't fully feel right due to the larger sprites and wasn't that great until the nes fan remake. The less we talk about 8 the better. I'd wager only 2, 3, and 9 are the only true classic MM games. That said, Powered Up makes 1 actually worth playing.

X series has 1, 2, 4, and 5 going in its favor.

Zero series is pretty consistent beginning to end.

Zero ended conclusively.

So if the first 5 X games were good, then why not release a collection of those?

I like Mega Man.

But it feels like Capcom seems to think people only like classic Mega Man.

I happen to think Mega Man Zero series is the best Mega Man series. They've released a collection of the NES Mega Man games, but for some reason can't do the same treatment for X, Zero, and ZX series. I think it's amazing that we haven't had a collection with every Mega Man title on it yet.

Even when talking about making more Mega Man, people only ever think of a hypothetical Mega Man 11 for the most part. Although, sometimes they chime in for a Legends 3 as well but we know that won't happen.

Is there a reason for this beyond popularity? I mean, I prefer classic Mega Man to the X series, but even I can't understand they seem to ignore than series beyond X Collection on ps2 and X Maverick Hunter.

Thoughts?

Up till the Xbox 360 X was treated much Better than the original. All we got for the or after that was mm9-10 8bit games.

Also X and MMZ have collections. X in America only. MMZ on DS everywhere.

Justinh

Where was the lie? There are many MM games better.
Yeah, not being a big fan of the series, I've always thought that 2 vs 3 was like a debate and either could be considered best. I don't know anything about X, though.

2's the only one I've beaten, so I just assume it's the "easy one."

I wish theyd re release battle network.
Ive wanted to play the games ever since i saw the awesome MM design for that series.

1398284612684.png

Easily the best looking MM

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I wouldn't mind a Mega Man game that connected classic to X. Likewise, I wouldn't mind a new X game that touched on The Elf Wars backstory from MMZ, because there is a lot to work with there. Maybe even have X get an armor upgrade that looks like Copy X's seraph armor.

Mega Man X Collection came out ten years ago. Zero Collection came out 6 years ago.

If you have a 3ds, you're in luck with Zero, but MMX Collection requires either a Gamecube, ps2.

Actually the OR Megaman collections have gotten worse since the xbox/ps2 one.

The latest collection is of the first 6 games with not much additional content on a 60gb bluray disc when the game itself likely barely reaches a gig.

If it works they may do it with X.

Battle Networks interest got hurt bad with BN4 and it seems to have been forgotten so maybe Capcom sees no value. I mean they did that remake of 1 in Japan only and apparently that didn't do well. Neither did the DS version of 5.

I wouldn't mind a Mega Man game that connected classic to X. Likewise, I wouldn't mind a new X game that touched on The Elf Wars backstory from MMZ, because there is a lot to work with there. Maybe even have X get an armor upgrade that looks like Copy X's seraph armor.

Elf wars can't work without retcons. MMXs plot is already shaky as is, that would make it completely broken. MMZ also has its own issues.

It would keep the plot from destroying itself if we consider MMZ non canon.

PokéKong

Because the only people in charge of what happens to Mega Man have no creative connection to what it was or where it was going, from a business perspective they probably feel completely stuck. They know Mega Man is most popular in the West, but how do they make a Mega Man with wide appeal in today's market? Retro 8-bit is their safe place, but after 9 and 10 that felt spent out, and once you start HD-izing the design you are faced with a lot of hard decisions. Do you go the logical route and give it a cool anime style? Oh no we can't make an anime game, it will only reach the weebs. Redesign Mega Man in a more Western style? That will obviously have a highly divisive reaction, and I'm sure there are countless "Act Zero" versions of Mega Man on the cutting room floor already.

Actually the OR Megaman collections have gotten worse since the xbox/ps2 one.

The latest collection is of the first 6 games with not much additional content on a 60gb bluray disc when the game itself likely barely reaches a gig.

If it works they may do it with X.

Battle Networks interest got hurt bad with BN4 and it seems to have been forgotten so maybe Capcom sees no value. I mean they did that remake of 1 in Japan only and apparently that didn't do well. Neither did the DS version of 5.

Either way, Mega Man collection with most every MM game ever with suped up graphics for the GBA games would be perfect.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Elf wars can't work without retcons. MMXs plot is already shaky as is, that would make it completely broken. MMZ also has its own issues.

It would keep the plot from destroying itself if we consider MMZ non canon.
What? It definitely could. There's multiple games' worth of material in the story we know of.

From wiki:

After X used the Mother Elf to delete the Sigma Virus, the number of Mavericks decreased significantly. It was at this point that the human scientist Dr. Weil proposed Project Elpizo: a plan to control all Reploids by combining the Mother Elf's rewriting abilities with a Reploid created to be a perfect ruler. Although X opposed this operation and Dr. Weil's "philosophy of rule" with his own "philosophy of coexistence", a fear of a long-lasting war resulted in increasing support for Project Elpizo.

To further his own secret agenda of a new world order with him as ruler, Dr. Weil instigated the Elf Wars by stealing the Mother Elf herself and corrupting her with a "curse" that turned her into the Dark Elf. Dr. Weil then created the Baby Elves, infant copies of the Dark Elf which he used to make Reploids turn Maverick and fight each other on a grand scale, plunging the world into chaos. With full support from the human government, Dr. Weil continued Project Elpizo and attempted to exert total control over all Reploids in the world by combining the Dark Elf with the Reploid Omega. Omega was constructed from the body of Zero (who was in stasis at the time) because Dr. Weil believed that a body immune to infection would be the perfect weapon to end the Maverick Wars.

Climax

Zero's brain (or soul) wasn't in his body, and he was given a new body to help in the fight against Weil. X continued to fight in the front lines against Mavericks and deleting the evil Baby Elves, until he was joined by Zero. Together, X and Zero worked to capture the Dark Elf and eventually used her power to turn the tide of the battle. When the war reached its final stretch, Dr. Weil unleashed the completed Omega in the battlefield, revealing his true ambitions to the world. Under Dr. Weil's orders, Omega, supported by an army of Golems, slaughtered countless humans and Reploids alike.

After a long struggle, X and Zero defeat Omega with a Final Strike and Weil was stopped right before he could combine Omega with the Dark Elf, putting an end to four years of devastating conflict.

Possible plot points a game could focus on:

-X using Mother Elf to delete the Sigma Virus once and for all

-X vs. Weil and his Dark Elf forces

-X and Zero vs. Weil and Omega

Zero would be out of commission for the first two, but I can see those working in an SNES style reboot (where X is the only player character). The last bit, where X and Zero team up to take down Weil, would make a FANTASTIC X game, in my opinion.

Edit: I always loved this panel from the Archie comic series, showing X and Zero fighting a younger Weil (using his official design from the MMZ artbook) along with Axl and a Cyber Elf Dr. Light.

PokéKong;202245063 said:
Because the only people in charge of what happens to Mega Man have no creative connection to what it was or where it was going, from a business perspective they probably feel completely stuck. They know Mega Man is most popular in the West, but how do they make a Mega Man with wide appeal in today's market? Retro 8-bit is their safe place, but after 9 and 10 that felt spent out, and once you start HD-izing the design you are faced with a lot of hard decisions. Do you go the logical route and give it a cool anime style? Oh no we can't make an anime game, it will only reach the weebs. Redesign Mega Man in a more Western style? That will obviously have a highly divisive reaction, and I'm sure there are countless "Act Zero" versions of Mega Man on the cutting room floor already.

I think it's a pretty easy decision. Metroidvania is totally in these days, and ZX was already that, albeit a flawed one. Take a cue from games like Guacamelee and make it HD with a bright and colorful palette. Learn from ZX's flaws and give Mega Man a niche. Guacamelee, as far as I know, did really well. I think making a new Mega Man game isn't as complicated as people say. Open world and Metroidvanis are in. Given the traditional eight boss structure, Mega Man in particular is a series that could benefit from it if done right.

SkyOdin

I wish theyd re release battle network.
Ive wanted to play the games ever since i saw the awesome MM design for that series.

Easily the best looking MM

The Mega Man Battle Network games are a shoe-in for a collection someday. Six games, most of which are beloved, and all originally from the same platform. It should be possible to create an emulated version of all of them for a collection similar to the Legacy Collection. I would certainly buy it.

poodaddy

I concur OP; I'm a somewhat obsessed Mega man X fan so I would brutalize untold amounts of strangers for a collection of X1-5 and 8,(it's a good game, .....shut up), but it really does seem like Mega man classic is the only incarnation Capcom cares about these days. I can't complain much, I mean I've got MMX1-3 on Wii U virtual console and X4-5 on PSN, and now that MMLegends' entire series is on PSN I really do feel like I've got all the Mega man essentials after I bought the Mega man collection on PS4 and MM8-10 for PS3 as well as the MMZERO collection for 3ds; but that's the problem I suppose isn't it? I have all the MM games I could want but in order to play all these wonderful games you need an insane collection of consoles; PS3 or Vita, 3DS or PS4/Xbone, and Wii U. Most people don't buy multiple consoles, so it seems like a comprehensive multi platform master collection on PS4, Xbone, and Wii U could only be a good thing. I just don't understand why it doesn't happen.

Moosehole

I think it's a stretch at this point to say Capcom cares about classic Mega Man, but I hear you. I would love a new MMX or MMZ.

Edit - I would also really like to see PS2 on PS4 versions of MMX8 and MMX Command Mission!

poodaddy

What? It definitely could. There's multiple games' worth of material in the story we know of.

From wiki:

Zero would be out of commission for the first two, but I can see those working in an SNES style reboot (where X is the only player character). The last bit, where X and Zero team up to take down Weil, would make a FANTASTIC X game, in my opinion.

Edit: I always loved this panel from the Archie comic series, showing X and Zero fighting a younger Weil (using his official design from the MMZ artbook) along with Axl and a Cyber Elf Dr. Light.

It's like we're long lost brothers or something......

Please get a job at Capcom bro, and revive Mega man X
!

I know, which is why I mentioned that I'd like Capcom to make a current gen X collection amongst other Mega Man properties. The reason I brought up the collections from the past is to argue against people who say only Classic gets exposure.

Menitta

I'd speculate this: They don't even care about that. People have been screaming for a new Mega Man game for years. Capcom hasn't made any new games themselves, they're just remastering them. Releasing a legacy is a way
(attempt)
to satisfy those people without actually making a new game.

From wiki:

No, first of all MMZ has too many holes as is and would leave large holes from X5 and onward intat.

Also the Sigma virus is already dead as of X8. Because Reploids can now go maverick at will because of copy chips, as scene is X8 and XCM.

Angelcurio

A MMX collection would be a nice release in addition to the original collection. Now, my biggest MM related dream would be a game, anime or whatever that bridges the events of the original series with the X series.

Slermy

Well, by that logic, you can also use an early PS3 or a Wii to play the MMX Collection.

But regardless, yes, an updated collection would be very welcome. Hell, what about Mega Man 9 & 10 ports while we're at it?

The Mega Man Battle Network games are a shoe-in for a collection someday. Six games, most of which are beloved, and all originally from the same platform. It should be possible to create an emulated version of all of them for a collection similar to the Legacy Collection. I would certainly buy it.

8 games. 12 if they translate 1remake, 4.5, Mega man WS and N1 battle.

Would be cool, 4.5 looks miles better than chip challenge.

Top Bottom