• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How come Disney produced Super hero movies have so forgettable soundtrack....

I mean I can't recall a single one of them having good soundtrack or OST unlike the superhero movies of the past.

For example:

SpiderMan (Danny Elfman Version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQe8j92j-Eg

X-Men (Michael Kamen):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKIRcZCvUR8

Dark Knight (Hans Zimmer Not marvel but still superhero movie)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1B3Mgklfd0

SuperMan (John Williams Not Marvel but Superhero Picture):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjIlBoGrVJM

I can name more but you get the point. I know disney movies are probably produced with an assembly line type of scheduling. But come on Soundtrack in a movie is more important than dialogue. for example the first 20 min of the good the bad and the ugly have 0 dialogue just background music and tension buildup. Enough to have people like Tarrantino rip it off countless of time and calling it the best picture ever made in his opinion. Yet I cant recall the single track from a Disney MCU.

GotG series is the only one with good soundtrack but they are not original work. Rather a greatest hit collection.

Thoughts?

WillyFive

Their only superhero movie was really The Incredibles for a long while until they got Marvel, and that has one of the best superhero scores of all time.

They recently added Giacchino to their MCU movies, so now we got Doctor Strange and Spiderman with great scores.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Hot take: the Spider-Man theme isn't good, it was just Elfman mashing together his work on Batman and Men in Black.

Hot take: the Spider-Man theme isn't good, it was just Elfman mashing together his work on Batman and Men in Black.

Even if it is true it still sounds better than anything in MCU and instantly recognizeable like any other iconic theme like Star wars, Jurassic Park, The good the bad and the ugly, Shane etc.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Regardless of the theme itself (I like it), his moments of subtler score are generally above the current crop of superhero scores. The themes that play during Parker and MJ scenes.... feels.

Also I would like to say Michael Kamen's work on x-men is super underrated that main theme fits so perfect with the idea of x-men. I don't know why.

I dont know why Spider-Man Homecoming didn't just use the orchestral 60s theme throughout the movie instead of whatever the fuck they had in there

Renekton

There is a new paradigm/trend recently to make the music as ambient and inconspicuous as possible. It's affecting AAA games as well.

Marvel sounds heads and tails better than DC. I liked wonder woman but the action theme was so bad I'd dock points for it alone if I had to give it a numerical rating.

Marvel sounds heads and tails better than DC. I liked wonder woman but the action theme was so bad I'd dock points for it alone if I had to give it a numerical rating.

Actually that Wonder Woman theme is more recognizable than anything in MCU. I bet it will become an iconic theme like Star wars or James Bond.

While we're on the subject of MCU talking points, DAE think Thor: The Dark World is forgettable? I can't remember anything from that movie LOL!

Quips, no steaks, Iron Man & Friends, etc, etc.

Soundtrack is not more important than dialog. A good soundtrack can enhance what is already there but in general you need good dialog to tell a good story. I can't even recall any music from a lot of good recent movies.

Soundtrack is not more important than dialog. A good soundtrack can enhance what is already there but in general you need good dialog to tell a good story. I can't even recall any music from a lot of good recent movies.

You think the fight scene between vader and luke in RoTJ would be as good without this soundtrack and just dialogue ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li0vFxbo3sY

this scene from For a few dollars more would be as good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JPnR7C8mZQ

dabig2

I feel like we get this thread like once a month.

Avengers Theme - great and melodic

Ant-Man is great

Dr Strange theme has been on repeat for me since it came out. Very melodic and hummable

GotG main theme - ripped from the Avengers with its own flare

And of course the Cap films are great.

The only problem is that these themes aren't heard all throughout the movie so someone might not make the connection to the character. But since all you posted were themes, that's what I focused on too and MCU is stock full of great ones.

While a lot of the MCU's music is overall not superb (I say as I'm listening to Spider-Man: Homecoming's score, which has a good theme, but is a bit chaotic), I quite like Captain America's first theme, Ant-Man's theme, AOU's theme (Elfman's rendition is excellent), Son of Odin, and The Incredible Hulk's theme.

There's also some really good dramatic bits sprinkled throughout each of the scores, that I like.

For example,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NMKOa4KY9I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHwuUjbzXZg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtocayLtVrE

Please watch this:

The Marvel Symphonic Universe

He does a great breakdown of the issue. All around really great video by Every Frame a Painting. I need to watch more of their stuff.

This is a very flawed video. His opinions are very biased IMO anyway. Most Marvel soundtracks are not really anything to write home about, but most of them aside from perhaps Jackman's Captain America, have actually melodic themes, the problem is, is that someone in Marvel seems to hate music continuity, so good or bad, if the composer doesn't return for the sequel, RIP to that sequel.

And really this is an issue with the current state of film music in general. Hollywood seems to hate having memorable themes these days. It says a lot when Howard The Duck has a better score then most of the comic book movies these days.

Spider-Man: Homecoming has a solid score.

It just wasn't mixed well into the film.

It started out strong with remix version of the Original Spiderman theme then fell apart badly. Like collapse in a cricket match. Started out 150/0 then 160 all out.

Winter Soldier has the best score so far out of any of the MCU movies IMO. It was noticeable, in a good way.

Personally I think that's the MCU worse score Just a bunch of loud noises, in fact it was probably my least favorite aspect of TWS, which says something considering how much I love film music and all, but hey it's my opinion, so no hard feelings.

B33

Banned
It started out strong with remix version of the Original Spiderman theme then fell apart badly. Like collapse in a cricket match. Started out 150/0 then 160 all out.

I don't agree.

It works for me throughout, although I don't like the way it was mixed into the movie.

Also I would like to say Michael Kamen's work on x-men is super underrated that main theme fits so perfect with the idea of x-men. I don't know why.

I like parts of that score, but I do know that apparently Kamen wanted to do more of a retro score. He and Singer didn't get along because Singer wanted more ambience and electronics, which he got. Heck the only reason Kamen scored that film was because Ottman was off making his directing debut with Urban Legends: Final Cut, lol.

I feel like we get this thread like once a month.

Avengers Theme - great and melodic

Ant-Man is great

Dr Strange theme has been on repeat for me since it came out. Very melodic and hummable

GotG main theme - ripped from the Avengers with its own flare

And of course the Cap films are great.

The only problem is that these themes aren't heard all throughout the movie so someone might not make the connection to the character. But since all you posted were themes, that's what I focused on too and MCU is stock full of great ones.

Listened to all of them right now to refresh my memory (couldn't recall any unlike dark knight or Wonder Woman) and Doctor Strange is the only that came back to me others I don't even remember hearing lol during the movie. But like someone here* said Disney need better sound editor. They are completely clueless IMO when scoring a scene.

timberger

I've honestly found every superhero movie soundtrack to be completely forgettable since Batman 89... and even that I only remember because it was the theme for TAS as well.

I, at the very least, can recognize her theme song the first second it plays. If you told me to hum one melody from a Marvel movie then I'd be at a loss.

WillyFive

The 60s Spiderman during the opening credits was great nerdy fan service, but the score that was in the rest of the movie was really nice, and the new Spiderman theme is crazy hype, not to mention the great fanfare for Vulture and the overall music for Peter's life.

I, at the very least, can recognize her theme song the first second it plays. If you told me to hum one melody from a Marvel movie then I'd be at a loss.

That's probably because it's a theme they actually re-use as oppose to dumping it like the MCU is often guilty of.

The budget for hiring composers is mostly reallocated to Robert Downey Jr.'s salary.

lmaooooooo. In that Note SW Episode VII while had 10000xbetter music than anything MCU (disney) still lacked compared to the other 6 movies. I thought the prequels had better music than disney SW pictures. I think the problem lies with Disney and not the composer. They have a set deadline for everything and thus more than likely rushes the composer. I think SW VII is weakest John Williams work. Compare this to duel of fates , across the stars or order 66 etc.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Yeah they're not every memorable, but then again the only super hero theme to stick in my head is Wonder Woman's. /shrug

Oh and Zimmer's work on the TDK trilogy.

WillyFive

Interesting how many people liked the Wonder Woman theme, despite how it's just a fast paced drum beat with a guitar riff that is notable only on how unexpected it is anytime it is played.

lmaooooooo. In that Note SW Episode VII while had 10000xbetter music than anything MCU (disney) still lacked compared to the other 6 movies. I thought the prequels had better music than disney SW pictures.

This seems like nostalgia talking.

Because anytime they come up with something good the followup has less effort or replaces the person entirely.
IM1 ost > IM2 > IM3
A1 >>>>>>>> A2
CA >>>>>>>> WS

Top Bottom