• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How come the new South Park game needs so much time to be made?

erawsd

As I understand it these games have Matt/Trey's fingerprints all over every aspect. So during the fall when they are busy with the show I imagine that has a huge impact on the progress they are able to make with the game.

The perception on GAF of how difficult games are to make is frequently depressing. Between "lazy devs" comments and nitpicking minute details in screenshots it's pretty tiring.

Jawmuncher

The perception on GAF of how difficult games are to make is frequently depressing. Between "lazy devs" comments and nitpicking minute details in screenshots it's pretty tiring.

I think the industry is a bit at fault for not trying to explain better the way these games are made and the resources they require. Unlike movies with all of their behind the scenes stuff, you don't get much of that with Video Games.

Cirerus

tumblr_inline_nxa7k8neIA1ri4d3y_400.gif

OP, consider that this game is a comedy. Very often jokes are only funny the first time, or at the very least lose their potency on repeated uses. Videogames are typically built on loops where you do the same thing over and over and over.

This is why comedy in games is incredibly difficult to pull off. Any change you want to make -- say even to just the timing of something (timing is everything in comedy) -- requires a special case, or at least the ability for the designer to treat it as one. This means creating tools that are flexible enough to handle a diverse set of situations, or creating a lot of special cases, or a mixture of both.

This is just one factor as to why a game like South Park which "seems" simple isn't necessarily.

There were a lot of these comments back when Wind Waker was coming out, like why was Nintendo making such a "simple" looking game, why don't they try? Appearances can be deceiving.

I think the industry is a bit at fault for not trying to explain better the way these games are made and the resources they require. Unlike movies with all of their behind the scenes stuff, you don't get much of that with Video Games.
The industry could certainly do better, and the desire in the media to find/create and put "auteurs" on a pedestal is actively harmful to this perception as well.

N° 2048

Games are hard to make, comedy games are insanely hard to make.

A guy who comes to my work is a dev and always looks like a zombie.

You should really do some research..

I honestly think a major reason it had to be delayed was because of Trump winning the election, they probably had major storyline involving him they had to change/get rid of. It was probably funny when no one thought he would actually become president but less funny when he started running the country.

Shifty1897

Comedy is hard. Comedy in a video game is harder.

The Stick of Truth delivered on the promise of a South Park game when everyone else thought it wasn't possible to do properly. They can take as much time as they want to make sure it is right.

Comedy is hard.

Video game comedy is even harder.

The turn around for the show, from writing to finished product, is less than a week.

They showed the whole process in a documentary years ago and used a political event that happened a few days prior as an example.

Ooccoo

The game will be launched in like 8 languages with audio. Just this fact makes development way, way more complicated.

Then you have the entirely new grid-based layout for each battle, interactive environments, twice the length of SOT, etc.

The turn around for the show, from writing to finished product, is less than a week.

They showed the whole process in a documentary years ago and used a political event that happened a few days prior as an example.

well stick of truth was better than the whole last season of South Park imo so its a good thing they are taking more time.

Z3M0G

I was gonna say that they probably shelved it to make Phone Destroyer... it's pretty damn polished, and they were obviously involved in the production.

But that would take a small fraction of the time it takes to make a full fledged AAA RPG, obviously...

Top Bottom