• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do I get over the loss of my imaginary daughter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsukumo

That seems harsh, the meds are working great and my OCD is better than ever. I was warned it may lead to extremely vivid and realistic dreams and that's what happened.

Well, maybe I overreacted but looking at the way the thread was going I thought you might take this thing like something trivial. I understand the relationship with a therapist is a close one and I shouldn't have expressed myself in those terms, but (again) you've been through something nasty. I believe you when you say it still feels real.
Anyway, if you have a mail or a phone for your therapist at least give him a heads up. The sooner you tweak the dosage the better.

I know the title makes me sound insane, but trust me, I'm not.

Ever since I started taking meds for my OCD I've been sleeping a lot more but more importantly my dreams have also become extremely vivid and realistic. A few days ago I had this dream that I had a daughter and you would not believe how realistic it was. When I woke up it felt like years of my life were erased, and now I no longer have a daughter.

I was there for her birth, helped her with homework, drew pictures together, vacations, we had some fights, hosted birthday parties, etc. How do I get over this empty feeling now? Hell even if I went and had a real daughter, she wouldn't be the same.

Is this just something time will fix? I've never lost a loved one yet "in real life" so I'm completely out of my league here.

RDJ_Woah.gif

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Well, maybe I overreacted but looking at the way the thread was going I thought you might take this thing like something trivial. I understand the relationship with a therapist is a close one and I shouldn't have expressed myself in those terms, but (again) you've been through something nasty. I believe you when you say it still feels real.
Anyway, if you have a mail or a phone for your therapist at least give him a heads up. The sooner you tweak the dosage the better.

Thanks for being so concerned. I will discuss it with my therapist, I see him very soon.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?

Since you were so concerned I thought you deserved an update. Still feel loss, but my doctor has tweaked my dosages on my medication. Hopefully everything from here on out is better.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

DatDude

Banned
I know how you feel OP.

I had a dream, and it was as if I met the girl of my life.

We were just sitting together, across this table, at a library. An we just talked. It felt like nirvana. Than I had to wake up, and awake to the unfortunate reality that she wasn't real.

Raiden

Banned
Reminds me of this lucid dream i had some time ago. I actually bonded somewhat with some dreamfriends. I told them they werent real but they didnt believe me so i let it be. Anyway we're just sitting in my sofa(where i am sleeping on in the real world) talking when these giant tornados rage outside. These guys get terrified and i tell them that its not real. They dont believe me so i tell them i'll wake myself up, have a look outside and then fall back sleep and come back.

So i woke up, looked outside the window, i fell back asleep but they were gone and i just had a regular dream. Kinda missed them for a while.

For some reason, seeing this thread again reminded me of a pretty lucid dream I had a couple years ago where I stumbled upon a parallel universe via some kind of portal where Marvel superheroes were real and how awesome it was to meet Cap and Iron Man, yet I found that my Great Grandfather who did actually serve in WWII died fighting alongside Cap and my Grandmother was never born in this parallel universe (and thus neither my my mom or me) which certainly shook me as I woke up (not to mention sad of how cool it was)

Had a few dreams like that after my dad died, where it turned out he was ok and just needed to go someplace for a couple weeks to recover.

They stopped after the last time, when I realized during the dream that it was all BS, he was dead, and actually became angry in the dream, even as I watched it play out.

TheExodu5

Banned
I've felt similar feelings to dreams, but only in the extreme short term. Morning the loss only for minutes/hours later. Dreams can seem incredibly real at times...I've had a few dreams that I remember vividly to this day, as if they were real memories. I even had a dream when I was about 5 years old that I can recall to this day.

Just give it time.

I know how you feel OP.

I had a dream, and it was as if I met the girl of my life.

We were just sitting together, across this table, at a library. An we just talked. It felt like nirvana. Than I had to wake up, and awake to the unfortunate reality that she wasn't real.

That's happened to me before. On multiple occasions.

Dreams are pretty strange though...I've gone through periods of having slight lucidity or at least a memory of my dreams for weeks at a time, followed by years of not recalling a single dream.

Tsukumo

Since you were so concerned I thought you deserved an update. Still feel loss, but my doctor has tweaked my dosages on my medication. Hopefully everything from here on out is better.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Read this only now. Anyway, I read a bunch of your posts and I can see why someone would come up with too high a dosage: since you also seems to have somatizations I can't say the guy made a complete blind-shot. Then again you start from low dosage and THEN you add through increments...anyway, I'm still going at it :).
Well, maybe it's envy because if my country (I'm Italy) would pay for psychotherapists I would have probably bought a small island by now ;)
On the asexuality thing you may want to check this site. http://www.asexuality.org/home/
Not too keen on his spoke person, as I think he is "religion cult leader"-level of fake and narcissism, but the forum is well monitored and maybe you can meet someone there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom