• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do I reset Wii video settings?

TheExodu5

Banned
GAF, I require some assistance. Help me out so I can play SMAAASH!

I last used my Wii on our LCD TV that we just got rid of (since we're getting a new TV within a few weeks). I had enabled progressive scan at the time.

Now, I'm hooking my Wii up to my CRT through component cables, and am getting a garbled signal. It's clear that the Wii is stuck in progressive scan. Does anyone know how to do a hard reset to restore default settings?

Thanks.

(P.S. I can't go out to get my manual, since we're snowed in by about 3 feet, and it would be a lot of work to go into the garage to get it)

homez99

I think you can plug the green component cable into a yellow composite input, which will give you a black and white picture, which should be enough to be able to go and turn off progressive scan.

Threi

notag
Don't hold me to this, but try:

1. Switch to composite cables
2. It should change to 480i automatically
3. Switch back to component cables

TheExodu5

Banned
I'll try the green cable solution.

I have absolutely no clue where I left my composite cables at. Hopefully I can find em if the green solution doesn't work.

TheExodu5

Banned
Dammit I can't find my composite cables anywhere :(.

I swear to god Nintendo is motherfucking stupid for not having a hard system reset feature like the PS3. FUCK YOU NINTENDO. I WANT TO PLAY SMASH!

TheExodu5

Banned
OMG :(

I can't play Smash. What a load of shit :(.

I do have an HD projector still in the house. Since the cables aren't long enough. maybe I'll ask someone to hold the wii up in the air while I do it =\.

scitek

I just hooked mine up to my SDTV and had the same problem, but I could see enough through the garbled screen to change the settings. Hope you have similar luck.

homez99

Didn't you try the green cable method? It should definitely work as I had to do that to get my Wii to stop displaying in progressive with my VGA lead because I wanted to use it on a 480i TV with the composite cables.

Flavius

I've had the issue pop up myself, but I could have sworn I just unplugged and replugged the power cord and everything was okey-dokey.

Vitani

ch0mp

I know it's a bit late but I just ran into this problem and google sent me here :lol

- Power on Wii, give it a few seconds to boot
- Hold DOWN on the directional pad of the Wii remote
- While holding DOWN, press the RESET button on the Wii

The Wii reboots and the screen settings are back to default. All my other settings (wifi, console name, etc.) were intact.

Haunted

ch0mp said:

The Wii reboots and the screen settings are back to default. All my other settings (wifi, console name, etc.) were intact.
Nintendo thinks of everything.

:bow :bow

lol

CTLance

So they DO have a videomode reset? Very good to know.

Is there a site with all the undocumented/hidden commands?

I mean, right now I know about holding + when booting to enter service/"management" mode, and holding down on the dpad while resetting to clear the video settings. Anything else? I hope I'll never need it, but these things are very interesting.

M3d10n

CTLance said:
So they DO have a videomode reset? Very good to know.

Is there a site with all the undocumented/hidden commands?

I mean, right now I know about holding + when booting to enter service/"management" mode, and holding down on the dpad while resetting to clear the video settings. Anything else? I hope I'll never need it, but these things are very interesting.
Maybe holding up during boot will enable 720p? OMG someone go test it!!11!

Man how I wished this worked. I loaned my wii to my parents and ever since I got it back the 480p mode looks like ass. I swear it didn't look this way prior and no matter what I do I cannot get it to look like it used to.

I popped in Metroid 3 last night and it is near impossible to play it, it's like it's stuck in 480i mode even though it says 480p. If anyone has a suggestion, I would appreciate it. Thx

CTLance

darkjedi187 said:
I loaned my wii to my parents and ever since I got it back the 480p mode looks like ass. I swear it didn't look this way prior and no matter what I do I cannot get it to look like it used to.
I popped in Metroid 3 last night and it is near impossible to play it, it's like it's stuck in 480i mode even though it says 480p. If anyone has a suggestion, I would appreciate it. Thx
After you've reset the videomode I bet it's displaying in 480i - did you think of selecting 480p in the System settings? No offense, but that sounds juust like something I'd do. Other then that I have no clue. Maybe you changed something on the TV? IIRC you have to dial down sharpness, maybe that's the reason. Have you changed any settings ever since you loaned the Wii?

CTLance said:
After you've reset the videomode I bet it's displaying in 480i - did you think of selecting 480p in the System settings? No offense, but that sounds juust like something I'd do. Other then that I have no clue. Maybe you changed something on the TV? IIRC you have to dial down sharpness, maybe that's the reason. Have you changed any settings ever since you loaned the Wii?

No when I reset it, it does nothing. It stays at whatever mode it was previously at. I don't think anyone has confirmed this works. I talked to Nintendo and they never told me anything like that. Anyway it is the weirdest thing 480p looks like garbage all of a suddent and I cannot get myself to play a single thing on it.

Ranger X

darkjedi187 said:

Man how I wished this worked. I loaned my wii to my parents and ever since I got it back the 480p mode looks like ass. I swear it didn't look this way prior and no matter what I do I cannot get it to look like it used to.

The Wii is wierdly made. If you had proscan selected and then you shift to composite cables, the Wii will force the 480i.
If ever you want to put proscan back, you need to plug in the component cables and reselect proscan.

Ranger X said:
The Wii is wierdly made. If you had proscan selected and then you shift to composite cables, the Wii will force the 480i.
If ever you want to put proscan back, you need to plug in the component cables and reselect proscan.

when I do this it automatically sets it to 480p. Also I'm on the phone with Nintendo trying to confirm if their is infact a video reset. I have them totally confused.

Threi

notag
Ranger X said:
That doesn't sound weird to me...Composite cables do not support 480p at all, while Component can be either (There are lots of older TVs that support component input but not progressive scan)

I can read it it just looks awful for 480p. The 480i looks much better. Like I said metroid 3 and zelda look horrible in 480p mode. Kind of like they used to before I got the component cables.
Whenever I switch the cables it automatically switched between 480i and 480p, which according to nintendo it should not.

FYI: Nintendo did not confirm their is a video reset, they have never heard of it.

Jme

PowerTime said:
Found this on another forum. Some of the pics are gone since the topic is old. But, you can reset the settings blindfolded if you make use of the tactile response.

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve...75/m/642001137831?r=236001137831#236001137831

Why would you do this though? I'm 99.9% sure the dpad works to navigate between buttons once you make it to the channel menu/system menu/submenues. Just memorize how many times you have to press down/left, etc.on each screen.

Either way, it's pretty useful if you can't do that. I do start up my channels sometimes before i switch my tv over to the wii's input channel using the tactile feedback.

Link

The Autumn Wind
darkjedi187 said:
I can read it it just looks awful for 480p. The 480i looks much better. Like I said metroid 3 and zelda look horrible in 480p mode. Kind of like they used to before I got the component cables.
Whenever I switch the cables it automatically switched between 480i and 480p, which according to nintendo it should not.

FYI: Nintendo did not confirm their is a video reset, they have never heard of it.
I'd unplug all the cables, reinsert them making sure they're connected right, then go into system settings and be sure it's set to enhanced definition mode.

If this doesn't work, maybe the cable got damaged.

HUELEN10

handofg0d said:
Why would you do this though? I'm 99.9% sure the dpad works to navigate between buttons once you make it to the channel menu/system menu/submenues. Just memorize how many times you have to press down/left, etc.on each screen.

Either way, it's pretty useful if you can't do that. I do start up my channels sometimes before i switch my tv over to the wii's input channel using the tactile feedback.
Wow, you failed HARD. Good thing you weren't 100 percent sure.....

TJ Spyke

Could be shitty component cables. I bought some third party cables, and I swear it made the games look worse than they did with the composite cables.

Jme

HUELEN10 said:
Wow, you failed HARD. Good thing you weren't 100 percent sure.....

Good thing indeed :D

Still, I'm fairly sure something on the Wii let me do this... I'll have to mess around when I get home.

Ranger X

darkjedi187 said:
Well my driving factor is it didn't look awful before I lent it to my parents. The cables are the official Nintendo ones.

That really is the wierd part of your story. It should look better in 480p no matter what happens. :/

And it should look the same as before too of course.

Top Bottom