• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you achieve deep sleep?

Gp1

I haven’t slept deeply in years. 5 hours max everyday, my body IS just FUCKED UP

corrected for my case

Anything below 6 hours here is unsustainable (you can do it like 2-3 times a week, but no more), with 6hrs i dont wake up at my peak performance and i don't usually sleep more than 6/6:30 hours.

And even though i can fall asleep easily, like on a airplane for example, for the night i need at least a completely dark environment and silence (or a earplug).

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
URTnLHY.jpg

Dthomp

I don't? Literally I'm lucky if I get what is considered a full 6+ hour straight night of sleep more then 3 or 4 times a year. The last doctor I visited I brought this up and he told me to stop playing video games and go to bed at 8pm every night....

Thanks bro, it's not like in America here most people or peoples families have work schedules that aren't 9-5 M-F, condescending prick that guy was.

Son Tofu

Banned
I have this problem from time to time as well. I had a doctor tell me to turn off all electronics an hour before bed and, if I could, go for a 30 minute walk later in the evening. I sleep much better now.

I also set my thermostat to 65. Apparently that's the ideal temp for sleeping comfortably.

Codes 208

I have this problem from time to time as well. I had a doctor tell me to turn off all electronics an hour before bed and, if I could, go for a 30 minute walk later in the evening. I sleep much better now.

I also set my thermostat to 65. Apparently that's the ideal temp for sleeping comfortably.
Which is a fun fact: your body compensates for sleep during cooler temperatures much better than hot.

which is why i love winter and leaving my window open just enough to make my room around 55-68 degrees whereas in the summer its too damn hot/humid and i toss and turn unless i have like four fans running at once.

Kadayi

Banned
Sleep cycles are roughly 90 minutes and the average person requires 4-5 to feel fully rested. So between 6 - 7.5 hours sleep.

If you want to figure out how many cycles you need, when you get an opportunity at a weekend, Sleep but don't set your alarm, then do that math.

If say it turns out you need 4 cycles then what you want to do is figure out when you want to get up (say 6 am) count your 4 cycles back (midnight) and stick on an extra half an hour (11.30) which is when you should go to bed so you ideally wake up towards the end of a cycle. If your alarm is waking you and you're bleary-eyed and a mess that's usually a sign of either not enough sleep cycles or being woken up in the middle of a cycle (when you are in deep sleep).

When you go to bed you want to avoid any possible interference from light sources such as phones, lights outside which will inevitably interfere with you falling asleep (also try using those night light setting on your phone/PC to tone down the blue light as your evening progresses) . You can get pretty comfortable formed sleep masks these days that aren't super expensive and do a great job in this regard (use one for the last few years and it's an essential).

I highly recommend either of these two books: -

The first is pretty accessible in terms of advice, whereas the second goes into a lot more detail regarding the science as well as why you should endeavour to get a good nights sleep.

Matthew Walker has been on a couple of Podcasts

Last edited:

Breakage

I put on a interview podcast or YouTube video and turn the lights off. I never make it to the end of the podcast. I think I fall asleep within the first hour.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
woke up at like 1 26 pm today went to sleep yesterday at like almost 3 i think. its easy for me to get like 9 or 10 hours of sleep

i use a sleep machine with nature sounds I hate sleeping with no sound

and I always keep my windows covered in my room so no sunlight gets in (i supplement with vitamin D in my smoothies)

also i make sure to get in at least 2 decent meals per day

i'm also single and don't have any kids so not a lot of responsibility lol

Last edited:
I can achieve deep slumber when I take an allergie pill. For some reason it says non drowsy on the bottle yet that shit knocks the hell out of me ALL DAY and NIGHT.

led4lyfe

I’ve been trying to achieve deep sleep too. Recently got a fit bit which tracks sleep stages. Last night I only had about 28 minutes total of deep sleep. I honestly think for me the best way to achieve deep sleep is through weed. I’ve also been trying to exercise more which is supposed to help but so far I haven’t seen the results.
I got a fit bit to track my sleep score and it’s frightening now shitty I sleep. I average around a 70 sleep score- usually get less than 6 hours of sleep a night.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Purchase a high quality bed. You will never make a wiser investment.

Top Bottom