• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you deal with noisy neighbors?

nkarafo

Thy have 3 kids and they run around the house most of the day. I only have peace during their night sleep.

The problem isn't their screams, it's the constant "tok-tok" sound of their shoes hitting the parquet (because their whole house is covered with ir, even the stairs) which travels through the floors and walls. So, it's impossible to insulate.

What are my options here besides abandoning my home or wearing earplugs? I tried covering them with some music but it has to be loud.

I'm just wondering how others deal with such an issue. Homes that are attached to other homes is the worst human invention ever.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Buy a drumkit and give them a taste of their medicine.

Seriously though, maybe you could have a heart-to-heart with the parents? Just don't be aggressive when you address them.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
You got options, but I don't think any of them are great.

--Line your side of the walls the sound is coming through with acoustic foam
--Passive-aggressively blast music at all hours
--Tell the kids to stop having so much fun
--Move

Steal their shoes

But seriously it sounds like their shoes are a big part of the problem, mom aint gonna tell them they cant run around and get all their energy out, but if they didn’t wear shoes inside it might be way more tolerable. Getting them to change their shoe wearing habits is a big ask, but worth a shot if you’re gonna go for the compromise strategy. You could offer to buy them little crocs or something 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Honestly, I lived through this during the covid lockdowns and ended up having to move. The council pretended to be interested but couodnt do anything, the neighbours didn't care. Probably not what you want to hear but if talking to them doesn't work, I don't know what other options might. When I last investigated, proper sound insulation was prohibitively expensive.

nkarafo

Legally, i can only complain about late night hours. They get to sleep then so there's no issue. But the rest of the day it's impossible to focus on anything at all.

Guess i'll have to talk to the parents and hope they can compromise a bit.

But i was hoping if there's something i can do. If covering the whole wall with foam would solve the problem i would do it next day tomorrow. But i don't think insulation works with hitting sounds. It will cover the screams but it's the hitting noises that drive me crazy and these travel through the walls and floor. So i doubt they can be insulated.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
"Thy have 3 kids and they run around the house most of the day. I only have peace during their night sleep"

There's sweet fuck all you can do chap, unless they are banging on your walls it's there house and... Well.. they're kids ffs, kids will be kids and run around making noise, I know I have 2 of them and when they where younger it was a constant war of attrition for a little peace and quiet, it's either put up or move out but they will grow and will eventually get quieter but you have no real options here, they ain't breaking no laws and are simply being kids

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Start by contacting your landlord/management. Write them letters. And send both letters to tenants and to management so that they both are aware of the complaints.

Be sure to ask management for a follow-up to the complaint. I have written several letter's for my mother about the same thing. Come to find out, they where illegal renters. Now the actual owner of the apt. is now facing eviction.

Fools idol

Banned
only viable options are usually move, or confront the parents (probably doesnt go well 9/10 times).

Kids unfortunately are kids and will not always listen to parents even if they are 'good kids', I say that as a parent of a pretty good kid, she will often just forget to be quiet and just does what she wants. Especially when she has friends over or we have movies on, she goes pretty wild sometimes.

I have some noisy cars, so I am the neighbour you heard about xD most of our neighbours are elderly folks and when you are retired, all you have to do all day is sit inside and hear the neigbours. I do try to be quiet at early or late times, but end of the day sports cars are loud, and so are 4 year olds.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
There's nothing you can do besides moving. Don't attempt to talk to the parents. Nothing good can come from that. Literally nothing.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Move. If for no other reason than your apartment block is made terribly if the sound travels that much. It should have much better sound proofing g than that. It could even be against code, depending on where you live,

Last edited:

INC

angry desperate housewives GIF

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I gotta say I have the best fucking neighbors ever, on one side I have a retired 80y.o. uni teacher whose half deaf but still has all her marbles and can tell a great yarn and the other side 2 dudes who throw dinner parties that would put a Michelin starred restaurant to shame and who couldnt do enough for you.

Then again we got lucky in that we love our house, our area and intend to see out our days here so I'm all about being neighbourly af, when we moved in, I introduced myself with wine for the lads and flowers for the lady as I wanted to hit it off on the right foot and have became good friends with both and can now rely on the both to look after the house if we're on holiday and feed pets etc and I reciprocate.

My last place, the neighbor was a cunt.

Mistake

Kids are going to walk like that, shoes or no shoes. Best I can recommend are over the ear noise canceling headphones. Go to a store and see what is comfortable. You don’t even need to play music, just turn on the cancelling and chill

GMCamaro

Try to learn to live with it. Can’t hate on kids being kids, running around and playing. I know it sucks, but listen to the advice about the headphones or earplugs.

Not to ‘what-aboutism’ or anything, but the situation could be much much worse. They could be blasting bass all day and night that shakes the whole apartment and knocks your stuff off shelves. I’ve been there; I would have loved to just have noisy footsteps during the day and peace at night.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Thy have 3 kids and they run around the house most of the day. I only have peace during their night sleep.

The problem isn't their screams, it's the constant "tok-tok" sound of their shoes hitting the parquet (because their whole house is covered with ir, even the stairs) which travels through the floors and walls. So, it's impossible to insulate.

What are my options here besides abandoning my home or wearing earplugs? I tried covering them with some music but it has to be loud.

I'm just wondering how others deal with such an issue. Homes that are attached to other homes is the worst human invention ever.

Call the police....

nkarafo

Im confused is this a townhome or you Renting?

It's a duplex (i think that's how it's called in English). It's my house, i don't pay rent. But theres another duplex attached to one side. We share the same floors with a single wall separating us. Not sure if there's any insulation in that wall. But even if there is, it can't do anything with knocking sounds that travel through the building itself. Not sure if there's anything i could do to my side of the building to improve this.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So 3 kids that are being kids... during the day? Get over it?

If they were making noise late into the night, I could understand your frustration. If this just during the day then you need to deal.

Patrick S.

Banned
I used to work shifts, and the neighbors above had one single kid that would constantly run back and forth, making the loudest noises possible. I could tell, at all times, in what room that fucking kid was. Every minute I was at home.

Moved out of there after two months.

Spyxos

Gold Member
More or less the same situation for me. Our elevator was renovated a few years ago and one wall was taken out in the middle. Since then, you can hear absolutely everything that the neighbors do above or below me.

The funny thing is that exactly the 2 apartments are not permanently inhabited by the same people, but are some sort of tourist apartments, where people live for 1-2 weeks. And then there are already new people in it.

They are also often used as party apartments and the people are very active at night. Many come home only at night. I have often complained, but it brings nothing, if 1 week later already again new people live in there. Right now there lives a family with a child and it runs around all day, I can not imagine how annoying it would be with 3. The one is already on my nerves.

I think you have a better chance to talk to them and explain your side. Be calm and do not look for a fight.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Noise cancelling headphones, honestly they are great...

Not that I have issues with neighbours, but they work wonders in the office so they sure as shit will work wonders in the home.

I have the XM4's but the new 5's are again better slightly in every way.

You want something overear incase you need them for long periods and these baby's have 20 hours of use before needing to recharge. Just stick them on recharge overnight and you won't care about the kids ever again.

Also with a blue tooth dongle they work on the PS5 and massively outclass the official Sony gaming sets.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
Noise cancelling headphones, honestly they are great...

Not that I have issues with neighbours, but they work wonders in the office so they sure as shit will work wonders in the home.

I have the XM4's but the new 5's are again better slightly in every way.

[/URL]

You want something overear incase you need them for long periods and these baby's have 20 hours of use before needing to recharge. Just stick them on recharge overnight and you won't care about the kids ever again.

Also with a blue tooth dongle they work on the PS5 and massively outclass the official Sony gaming sets.

They only help a little. You can't hear it, but the vibrations still arrive.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I do sympathise and couldn't put up with that myself. I work from home most of the time now and that would wreck my concentration.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to treat your home for sound travelling like that, even with a significant budget it'll likely be imperfect or end up being economically unviable.

If you can hear it over tv and music, I'd say I'd have to move out.

Last edited:

jm89

The problem is more to do with the idiots who built alot of these terraced houses putting in paper thin walls between neighboring house. My last place was a flat and even though the walls where attached i could barely here my neghbours.

As an extra kick in the balls some terraced houses like mine, they decided to put the bedrooms, living rooms and dining rooms parralel to each other so the walls of nearly every room are connected.

I'm not sure if you stand a chance with this issue with kids being involved tbh.

The other option if you have the funds for it is to look into proper soundproofing the walls between you and your neighbour, none of that acoustic foam bullshit either.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
You slide a letter underneath their door stating that you have heard the noises and will get back at them in some way, shape or form at some time somewhere..

A more serious answer: Just talk? Ask if they could wear slippers? Or, since its a day thing, deal?

protonion

Just leave a note near the entrance. Here is a template:

Dear neighbours with the noisy brats,

Just because you took it upon yourselves to oppose the NWO's plans to reduce the planet's population, doesn't mean the rest of us have to suffer.
So, please join the rest of the civilized world and have your kids wear soft slippers when indoors.
Failure to do so will result in an unpleasant visit that will make all your shoes redundant (since you will be lacking feet after it).

With respect,

The dismemberer.

Top Bottom