• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you deal with the fact that you will die?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Not trying to be too depressing but this is something that has been on my mind for a long time, I have been to treatment but it doesn't change the end game. How do other people deal with it?

Accept reality and appreciate the limited time I have, knowing this is all I get.

Dying isnt a problem. Understanding that very few people pass away peacefully in their sleep. Chances are likely that a violent and painful end is advancing for us all.

tumblr_nqxcppk3oc1rp0str9k.gif

MGrant

Near-death studies suggest that dying is not an altogether unpleasant experience, so I'm not frightened of dying in a hospital someday, which is most likely how I'll go. I worry about dying in traumatic experiences and am extra careful when doing things like driving. I'm much more troubled by my family getting older, though. That shit's gonna be rough when it's their time to go.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I'm not really sure how to explain how I deal with it. All I know is that I am at peace with dying. I do not believe in any religion, afterlife, souls or spirits. I also don't believe our lives have any kind of inherent purpose or meaning. When I think about death, I simply realize everything that has ever lived dies and feel that it's nothing to be upset about. It's just the way things are. Death seems peaceful to me and I am prepared to go at any time.

I hate the idea and I probably think about it far too often.
Still madly in love with my wife who I've been with for 26 yrs and it makes me ill thinking we'll have to say bye forever one day. If we are lucky enough.
She believes in an afterlife, I don't. Hope I'm wrong.

t-storm

Realizing that everybody else who ever lived and is currently living has to deal with that and we're all still living our lives

So I guess if it doesn't immobilize everyone like it should, why should I let it immobilize me? Religion used to help, but then I was scared of living forever. There's just no way to win in this existence.
My favourite post in this thread.

We're all in this together.

Camjo-Z

There are some times where I get a bit overwhelmed with the concept, but ultimately it's inevitable, unstoppable, and worrying about it achieves nothing. I imagine when I'm 84 or something I'll be well fed up with everything and everyone anyway.

TaterTots

Banned
By not giving a shit and living the best I can in the meantime. We're all going to die. There is no getting around it. I use to worry about it all the time as well, but eventually I accepted it. Just gonna enjoy myself in the meantime.

Ponn

Banned
You can turn to religion. Over the years I feel that is the biggest motivation for people to join a religion, the fear of dying. The need of reassurance there is something after death to keep you going day after day without losing your mind. I stopped believing in religion when I was a kid for reasons I don't want to get into and it was fine at first.

Several years ago when I had my heart issues there was a span of two hours before a surgery where I was flatlining for about 10 to 30 seconds every 10 minutes. It had a really bad effect on my mind that i'm still dealing with today. Never saw a white light, it was just a blank time skip and coming back. I think about that blank spot and how that nothingness is inevitable, its unescapable, we are destined for that end from the moment we are born and there is nothing you can do about it. People say they won't care about it but thats the thing. You won't be able to not care because you won't be anything, you won't be thinking, you won't be dreaming, you just blink out of existence. Once that thought was burned into my head, its hard to explain and its been impossible to fully get out of my head. It's not something you want to dwell on or get stuck in your head, it will drive you mad and has caused me so many nights of insomnia. Finding constant distractions.

MadeULook

It's just a simple part of life. I barely even think about it to be honest. Death is something we all eventually have to come to terms with and eventually have to face the inevitably of it.

Focusing on the present, rather than my eventual death, is more important. I want to be able to say that I had a good, full run at life on my deathbed and can close my eyes one last time as satisfied as I could be with my life.

I’m religious so I’m not really worried about it. If I’m wrong about my religion then I’ll just be nothing. Death really doesn’t bother me, I’ve always been curious if there is anything on the other side. I’m more afraid of how I will die.

Kthulhu

I don't, but thanks for reminding me OP.

There ain't much I can do about it, so it's pointless to worry. I just hope I feel satisfied by the time I die.

Lothar

Banned
There are some times where I get a bit overwhelmed with the concept, but ultimately it's inevitable, unstoppable, and worrying about it achieves nothing. I imagine when I'm 84 or something I'll be well fed up with everything and everyone anyway.

You will because it's not bad enough we die, death is eventually going to make you beg for it.

arigato

I have much greater fears and worries than death.. Reincarnation and amnesia are horrifying. As long as my me's death is quick and painless then that's the least of my worries.

I believe in an afterlife. The question of what is before the beginning and what is afer the end is something I think only faith can answer.this in conjunction with the intricate complexity of our current world honestly makes me so much more sure in that there is a higher power.

Without the feeling that there is something after we die, what's the use in living? Why bother following standards of being good or bad? its also incredible to me that of all the equalizers in our current knowledge, none is so effective as death. No matter what knowledge, wealth or power that you amass you cannot escape it

Just my personal opinions informed by my religious beliefs. It's interesting to read the other responses as well. In med, close contact with people who are dying or near dying is pretty constant. The complexity in which we as humans behave around the subject is pretty fascinating

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Would you rather live long and die slowly or live fast and die hard

I don't really think about it but I feel like i'll come to terms with it and be a peace ready to accept whatever fate I have waiting for me when I die.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
My death only bothers me in the idea that I will likely die before my wife and leave her lonely and heartbroken.

Tall4Life

I go between stages of not caring and realizing everything is meaningless and I can die alone

Facing Existentialism and nihilism is wonderful

nullset2

It makes everything meaningless, which is liberating and enables you better to follow your true desires, so it's amazing in a way that I'm going to die :), I'm at peace with it.

I have a moment or two where I'm stricken with terror.

But then I start thinking things like "Well, I as a consciousness, or rather the collection of memories and thoughts I am now, can cease to be while my body still exists. Like, I could lose all of my memories from a traumatic head injury or some freak incident. Then the person I am now is pretty much dead and gone even though my physical body still exists. There will be a new personality in this body that will have new experiences and form new memories, and will never fully understand who I was or why I liked anime so much. FUCK."

...and then that line of thinking eventually turns into "Damn it I fucking hate people. Thank goodness I won't have to deal with them anymore when I die."

And then I'm not worried anymore.

KonradLaw

Well..I'm still young and I'm hoping by the time I'm old there will be life extension technology avaible.

But in the end I'm not scared of dying much, because I believe in afterlife.

I'm definitely not happy about it.

Oblivion is inevitable, and I accept that, and have made what peace I can with it, but I'd be lying if I don't hope to somehow be able to cheat death in some capacity, regardless of the logical impossibility. It's just a very sad thought I mostly try not to dwell on. We live such short, limited lives, most barely aware of the astonishing beauty of the universe they're in, and it's tragic that even those of us that appreciate only have one short century at best with it before a most likely painful, terrifying cessation of existence.

In the meantime, I strive to live the best, most kind life I can, experience and cause as much happiness as possible, so at least I can know I did as much good in life as I could before it's stolen from me.

matt360

I'm fine with my own mortality. I'm much more concerned about my ageing parents and making sure my son lives a long and healthy life. When I think that one day my son will die I feel terrible and selfish for making him and try to stop thinking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom