• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you like your chicken wings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

I like crispy ass breaded wings with some sauces on the side. Also, no sauce peppered wings.

Saucy wings need to be on their A-game or they are just ruined.

No. Chicken nuggets are made of GROUND chicken from any meat source of the animal (which parts depend on where you buy the nuggets from), which is then pressed into the shape of a nugget and breaded for frying or baking.

Chicken tenders or strips are SLICES of breast (and sometimes rib) meat that are either breaded or unbreaded, then typically fried or baked.

Boneless chicken wings are CHUNKS of breast, rib, and/or thigh meat that either breaded or unbreaded, then typically fried or baked.

I don't mean to single you out, but after reading from page 1 and seeing the same thing over and over, I had to put the info out there. I'm just saying that calling boneless chicken wings nuggets or tenders is just as wrong as calling them wings. I admit - its stupid nomenclature, but we should at least know it.

By your definition, the Chicken Nuggets served at Chik-Fil-A are in fact Boneless Chicken Wings.

There isn't a rule to this nonsense. If you want to get literal, boneless wings would be deboned wing meat.

Bread

Banned
lemon pepper wet
350x197px-LL-6564edac_lemonpepperwet.gif

I like chicken wings in any fashion, breaded or un-breaded, crispy or swimming sauce, grilled, smoked or fried.

As long as I gets it in my belly, I could give two fucks

Mesoian

Bone in.

If breaded, a very spicy sauce for the breading.

If not breaded, cooked in actual pepper oil.

Large wings and drums.

creatchee

Chik-Fil-A nuggets are not ground, they're breaded chunks of breast meat. They don't call them "boneless wings" because that would be stupid.

Okay, if that's truly the case then they're the exception to the rule. Virtually every other chicken nugget is made of ground chicken. Focusing on the exception to a rule does not disprove the rule in general.

When I'm on my diet:
Bone-in, with skin, Big, Unbreaded, Extra Crispy/Well Done with a dry rub cajun seasoning or parmesan garlic (actual butter, parm and garlic, not the fake shit at BWW).

When I'm cheating: Boneless tenders with sweet sauces (asian zing, korean bbq, bbq, hallelujah) served with a ton of delicious fries.

Both options drenched in ranch.

Best local wings are from a Thai joint near my house: Classic wings cooked crispy in a sweet soy sauce with thai basil, ginger, garlic, and peppers. Called wings of paradise and it's 100% accurate.

Viewt

For wings, it's bone-in or nothing. Don't get me wrong - I like chicken tenders, too. But they're chicken tenders, not wings.

On breading, it depends. If we're talking buffalo wings, then I prefer the breading. But the best wings are those without breading, where they cook it correctly so that the skin is nice and crispy with a good sauce.

Korean spicy wings are pretty fantastic. We have a great place here in Chicago called Crisp that serves really good ones.

HD-201110-fried-chicken-crisp-ss.jpg

Not a fan but I love boneless tenders for my sins with hot buffalo sauce and blue cheese.

Just a personal preference that I'd rather be able to eat what's there than mess around with bones and cartilage.

Faiz

Chik-Fil-A nuggets are not ground, they're breaded chunks of breast meat. They don't call them "boneless wings" because that would be stupid.

Yep.

"Boneless wings" may be boneless chunks or strips of chicken... but they don't come from the wing. It's almost always from the breast (never seen from the thigh but I won't say it isn't done). I don't know how people keep arguing for their inclusion in these discussions. They aren't wings. EOD.

Edit: also:
Real wings
Breaded is fine, but if not the skin better be crackling crispy
I don't usually like the traditional buffalo wing hot sauce, usually prefer a BBQ or jerk, or something vaguely Polynesian.

I typically like my wings unbreaded, as the breading looses its crunch too quickly. "Boneless wings" are just chicken nuggets dunked in sauce, which isn't bad per se, but it's nowhere as good as actual wings. The skin is the best part of the chicken, why would you want wings without skin?

As for sauce, I like typical buffalo style the most. Thai chili is pretty good as well. There's a couple places near me that actually do grilled or roasted wings with olive oil, rosemary, garlic, lemon, et cetera that are pretty damn awesome.

I typically like my wings unbreaded, as the breading looses its crunch too quickly. "Boneless wings" are just chicken nuggets dunked in sauce, which isn't bad per se, but it's nowhere as good as actual wings. The skin is the best part of the chicken, why would you want wings without skin?

As for sauce, I like typical buffalo style the most. Thai chili is pretty good as well. There's a couple places near me that actually do grilled or roasted wings with olive oil, rosemary, garlic, lemon, et cetera that are pretty damn awesome.

Yeah, the best part about the wings is that... they're wings!

Grilled like you described sounds pretty delicious. I don't think I can turn down wings in general. They're food cocaine for me.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Bone-in flats, no breading, nice and crispy. I tend to prefer dry rubs to saucy wings, but I will eat all of them. There's a place in Indy called The Ale Emporium that makes the best wings I've ever had: Hermanaki wings. At home, the best I've made are these soy and fish sauce wings.

Chris R

Used the baked method from serious eats for the Super Bowl.

Worked out terrifically. Only downside is the smoke production since the stove is poorly ventilated :(

So, unbreaded, baked, bone in, covered in a buffalo sauce (butter + franks)

Damn this thread, earlier I was SURE I wanted dumplings for dinner, and now I'm leaning heavily towards some wings.

Anyhow, my favorite spot to get chicken wings at is Chicken or the Egg on Long Beach Island NJ, lovingly known as The Chegg. They are big, juicy and have so many amazing sauces. I like em breaded, but I won't say no to unbreaded wings especially if they are crispy as fuck. My favorite sauce at The Chegg is their Swamp Sauce, but really I'm good for any kind. Buffalo, Hot Sauce, BBQ sauce, teriyaki. But I do prefer a sauce, not too into dry rubs. Man, I really want some wings now.

Ernest

Banned
Bone IN
NOT breaded, fried
VERY saucy (I like a variety)
(most any sauce is fine; buffalo, bbq, spicy, mild, etc)

tariniel

I'm not that big a fan of wings to be honest, but if I'm going to eat them I prefer bone-in, not breaded, and very spicy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom