• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How does this generation stack-up against the previous one?

Nameless

This generation is sort of a hard one for me to breakdown. It managed to sustain three consoles, something many said it couldn't. It also saw the growth of online console gaming, which has been great. And while I would say this generation has been stellar overall, I can't help but feel a bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong, theres been tons of quality content, but this generation just doesn't didn't match the excitement or "magic" that the previous gave me.

Last generation was just an amazing time to be involved in gaming. There was a true leap, as consoles entered the realm of 3D, and you could almost feel the developers' passion, ambition, and excitement while playing many titles. The amount of innovation we saw was mindblowing. It was almost as if game makers were competing against each other to offer the most unqiue experiences, and the gamers came out on top because of that. However, its the lack of innovation why this generation does not stack up in my opinion. Not saying that this gen has been void of any innovation, things started off great. But especially over the past 3 years or so its as if developers have just gone through the motions instead of pushing themselves and each other.

At one point, I attributed it to the fact that I'm getting older, but I find that I can still lose myself in many of last gen's classics more so than I can mostly anything this generation.

Ranger X

Wait for all the competition to be there before the judging this new generation. Nothing happened yet really.

Also, it's the PS1/N64/Saturn generation that "entered the realm of 3D".

Ranger X said:
Wait for all the competition to be there before the judging this new generation. Nothing happened yet really.

Also, it's the PS1/N64/Saturn generation that "entered the realm of 3D".

yes, but the generation after that made games on those respective systems ass ugly from the start. next-gen looks nice, but many of the titles still look like last (current gen? w/e ps2 xbox and gc fall under) gen + .5

Ranger X

Microtransactions Hater said:
next-gen looks nice, but many of the titles still look like last (current gen? w/e ps2 xbox and gc fall under) gen + .5

Part of why i said "nothing happened yet".

I had N64 + PC last generation.

This generation, i was Xbox + PC, and recently got PSP and PS2.

In general, lots more good games this generation, especially from Western studios.

But as usual, PC outclassed everyone. Although that balance is starting to shift to consoles as piracy and high price of entry become bigger problems on the PC side.

itsme

Banned
This generation is finally better than SNES generation IMO. SNES generation had the most amount of memorable games (I have 100+ games including FF2, FF3, Crono Trigger, MarioWorld, Yoshi's Island, Super Contra,...) Finally, PS2 generation surpassed the greatest (FF12, GoW, Halo, DQ8, MGS, GTA, Okami...).

Kangu

Banned
Nameless said:
This generation is sort of a hard one for me to breakdown. It managed to sustain three consoles, something many said it couldn't.

It only managed to sustain two consoles actually. The Xbox was artificially sustained. So far we've seen nothing to prove that the market would actually support 3 consoles.

ToxicAdam

PS1 was better than the PS2
N64 was better than the Cube
Sega's consoles were better than the Xbox

Do the math.

It's not that this generation was awful, it just didn't exceed the previous generation.

Gigglepoo

ToxicAdam said:

Wait.. what!

The only PSX game I kept playing through this generation was Super Puzzle Fight II Turbo. The PS2 was a much better system.

Heck, I think games as a whole are much better. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter was great back in March of 1997, but what if it was released now? And most DC games were ported to other consoles and weren't nearly as much fun. Games are getting better. I hated that Gauntlet Seven Swords game, but it would have been incredible if it came out a decade earlier. Same with Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. Standards go up because the quality of gaming is going up.

I fully expect Zelda: TP to be the best Zelda ever.

Kangu said:
It only managed to sustain two consoles actually. The Xbox was artificially sustained. So far we've seen nothing to prove that the market would actually support 3 consoles.

"Artifically", eh?

Is that what you call it when a console is supported by other more-profitable sectors of the company?

If so, i have something to show you:
B000B5MV6A.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V62643814_.jpg

GBA = Gamecube's Mealticket

ToxicAdam said:

Do the math.

It's not that this generation was awful, it just didn't exceed the previous generation.
It is hard to believe that someone would rate the PS1 library higher than the PS2 library. To me even the very best PS1 titles were like toddlers taking their first steps. Very awkward and unsure.

C4Lukins

The last generation was pretty horrible IMO. The graphical jump was amazing at first, but it was not a smooth transition into 3-D at all. Many of the classic games that came out during that era are impossible for me to go back to and play. I think the N64 was great, but it only had a handful of classic games. The PS1 had tons of great games, but I think I would rather just shoot myself now then try and go back and play the original Tomb Raider. This Gen was a whole lot better especially with the PS2 and XBOX. The Gamecube was a step down though from the N64 as far as great games go.

Link316

Banned
PS1 & PS2 are kinda even, PS1 had alot of 2D games & great RPGs, PS2 got Guitar Hero & Dynasty Warriors

N64 was alot better than the GC though

so previous gen edges out this gen

the N64, PS1, Saturn generation was the Dark Ages of gaming for me and was the time that I tuned out 90%. I hated looking a bad 3D, but I loved great 2D. 2D Fighter were the only thing keeping me gaming during these dark times of gameing.

The Dreamcast brought me back into full effect and got me gaming big again, and Sega's fall made me get a PS2 and realise how kick ass the PS2 was, I got a GC and Xbox in their first year and went fully multi-platform + getting all the portables GBA, GBASP, DS, DSLite PSP

so this Gen wich is going to end on November 17th, was a great gen, almost as good as the Genesis\SNES generation

well...I had more fun with the N64 than the Cube sans Smash Bros. Melee. Best fighting game ever. Phantasy Star Universe consumed more than 1000 hours of my life as well..however with the N64 there was that magical touch on nintendo titles that just seemed to be missing sans Metroid Prime and Smash. Also it was the first time I bought a non-Nintendo product. PS2 for Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2. Also bought a Xbox but that was for Rare games, then they sucked, so now I have a Xbox with Conker and Advent Rising...anyone wanna buy?

ToxicAdam said:

Do the math.

:lol rediculous

ToxicAdam

All I know, is during the PS1/N64eration I was playing 100's of new IP's and playing new genres. This generation I played alot of sequels and licensed crap.

I think alot of you are judging these games on how they play NOW, versus how they played THEN. If you take these games in their RESPECTIVE times you would have to admit that the previous generation blows this one away in terms of originality and charm.

PS1/N64/Saturn era was sort of 3D's teething period in the console space. And while I agree there was an excitement and ambition that couldn't be replicated, there was also a lot of growing pains that get glossed over in nostalgia (and I don't mean just visually). There might have been more good games spread around back then, but for overall quality and design maturity I'll take this past generation any day.

sugarhigh4242 said:
"Artifically", eh?

Is that what you call it when a console is supported by other more-profitable sectors of the company?

well put

Kangu

Banned
sugarhigh4242 said:
"Artifically", eh?

I'm honestly not sure if the Gamecube actually lost Nintendo money. One would think the massive amounts of money Nintendo makes off even the worst of their franchise titles would make the console a profitable venture.

Grayman

sugarhigh4242 said:
"Artifically", eh?

nintendo was backed up by gaming. xbox was backed up by profit in a seperate industry.

Top Bottom