• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How far would MS go to win the information internet wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
MS is already the leader when it comes to developing media relationships and giving good support to game developers. This has given them good momemtun which is perhaps exagerrated by many but nonetheless they have done a great job with the 360. However there is something more powerful they are striving to control, and that is online information.

For example they have been recently been accused of hiring people to change wikipedia. FUD comes to mind, but what I want to discuss is how much of the information bending plays a part to changing media's perspective on gaming consoles. Are we so easily manipulated that any company with enough money can change reality (online reality that is).

please note: THIS IS NOT A STAB at MS if anything you can't blame them. It's a companies job to do everything they can within legal boundaries to make a profit. Most companies could only wish they had this much influence.

Unpaid Schill writes "Over on the O'Reilly Network, there's an interesting piece about how Microsoft tried to hire people to contribute to Wikipedia. Not wanting to do the edits directly, they were looking for an intermediary to make edits and corrections favorable to them.

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/22/2056214&from=rss

here's a quote from the book 1984 to get your brains wet:

"And if all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed—if all records told the same tale—then the lie passed into history and became truth. 'Who controls the past' ran the Party slogan, 'controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.'"

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
They are doing that now. No hate at the MS guys here, but think about it.

Frankie, Che, Arne, etc. I don't agree with everything they say (god only knows :mad: ) but I respect them 100% because at least they are reaching out to the everyday gamer.

How many Sony guys do we have here? One and that's from Insomniac which is no surprise, because they are a great company. But even then he does post here much.

Oh and Jaffe, but he isn't a regular either. So in closing MS will probably end up winning the information internet wars beating out Nintendo.

VALIS

Odd, how come you don't mention Sony trying to manipulate and control information and peer opinions via viral campaigns with the PSP, which have been documented numerous times (fake graffiti, fake youtubers, fake blogs, etc.)?

mckmas8808 said:
They are doing that now. No hate at the MS guys here, but think about it.

Frankie, Che, Arne, etc. I don't agree with everything they say (god only knows :mad: ) but I respect them 100% because at least they are reaching out to the everyday gamer.

How many Sony guys do we have here? One and that's from Insomniac which is no surprise, because they are a great company. But even then he does post here much.

Oh and Jaffe, but he isn't a regular either. So in closing MS will probably end up winning the information internet wars beating out Nintendo.

Frankie Che and Arne are a great source of information for the xbox community. If you anything you should envy Microsoft for trying to be so in touch with the hardcore community.

As much as you guys hate Major Nelson... he atleast offers a gateway for the community's thoughts, complaints, needs... ect.

mckmas8808

VALIS said:
Odd, how come you don't mention Sony trying to manipulate and control information and peer opinions via viral campaigns with the PSP, which have been documented numerous times (fake graffiti, fake youtubers, fake blogs, etc.)?

Sony sucks at that type of stuff most of the time. At least lately they have. Threespeech is cool though.

I'll give them props on that one.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
At least the MS people here are upfront and honest about it.

The Sony devs here too...although there is a subtle difference:

The MS guys are posting here because that's their job...they're community reps.

The Sony guys are posting here as individuals, they're honest about their employment but they're here on their own accord.

If Sony has actual people here that are paid to be here like MS does, Sony (and Nintendo) for that matter should tell them to be open and honest about it.

mckmas8808

Karma Kramer said:
Frankie Che and Arne are a great source of information for the xbox community. If you anything you should envy Microsoft for trying to be so in touch with the hardcore community.

I was just giving MS all the credit in life for having those 3 guys here. Sony needs to do the samething, because I'm ****ing sick and tired of waiting for Heavenly Sword information.

:mad:

mckmas8808 said:
How many Sony guys do we have here?
I'm ex-SCEE, three of my buddies who still work there post on GAF, however they don't wish for me to disclose who they are.

mckmas8808 said:
I was just giving MS all the credit in life for having those 3 guys here. Sony needs to do the samething, because I'm ****ing sick and tired of waiting for Heavenly Sword information.

Looks like I've found three guys for the balance! :lol

CorwinB

For one, I totally trust Slashdot to give us a fair and honest assessment of various MS initiatives around the Internets.

arne

Speaking of FUD, did anybody actually read the resulting article? Or just the Slashdot post? Slashdot post am biased.

mckmas8808 said:

well, arent you a member at the b3d forums? ask nao and the other guy for morsels of heavenly sword info...

btw, these ninja theory guys are just as passionate for their game as frankie is to halo3, che to forza2, etc. ive disagreed with some things theyve said on b3d, but you cant blame them for pimping their game (and their employer)

arne said:
Speaking of FUD, did anybody actually read the resulting article? Or just the Slashdot post? Slashdot post am biased.

The slant you used to post this is obvious, arne. Stop with the FUD!

mckmas8808

marvelharvey said:
I'm ex-SCEE, three of my buddies who still work there post on GAF, however they don't wish for me to disclose who they are.

Looks like I've found three guys for the balance! :lol

Oh shits. So you have the infos. Come on man who is it? Can they answer some of our questions? What games are they making?

NinSoX

Banned
Wait wait wait, no one is "innocent" here.

What about Sony hiring people to write reviews for their movies?

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
VALIS said:

I dont think this is a stab at MS but a Stab at how easy it is to do.

mckmas8808

Ken K in the Fresh!!! said:
well, arent you a member at the b3d forums? ask nao and the other guy for morsels of heavenly sword info...

btw, these ninja theory guys are just as passionate for their game as frankie is to halo3, che to forza2, etc. ive disagreed with some things theyve said on b3d, but you cant blame them for pimping their game (and their employer)

I love those NT guys. But I'm talking about a Sony version of Arne.

arne

mckmas8808 said:
I love those NT guys. But I'm talking about a Sony version of Arne.

highlander-poster05.jpg

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
NinSoX said:
Wait wait wait, no one is "innocent" here.

What about Sony hiring people to write reviews for their movies?
Yes cause everyone here is saying Sony is a saint? WTF is it with some of you people. Learn to read and not assume shit. Mentioning one company's issues or accomplishments does not mean you believe their competitor is the opposite

NinSoX

Banned
TheProfessor said:
Yes cause everyone here is saying Sony is a saint? WTF is it with some of you people. Learn to read and not assume shit. Mentioning one company's issues or accomplishments does not mean you believe their competitor is the opposite

Don't be a hypocrite. Now you're making an assumption that I don't know how to read? More like I didn't care about what was in your post based on your posting history.

mckmas8808 said:
Oh shits. So you have the infos. Come on man who is it? Can they answer some of our questions? What games are they making?
Sorry, all info I have in my head is 2 years old and even if my guys would break their NDAs, Sony share very little info between studios, they'll know nothing more about Heavenly Sword than we do.

Dilbert

TheProfessor said:
I'm sorry, but this is basically a vague rant insinuating that there are paid viral marketers here from MS...and by exclusion, that other companies would not do such things. As already pointed out, that is total BS. Other companies certainly have engaged in non-traditional marketing strategies, and the people that are here as a community interface for MS are doing so OPENLY.

I don't appreciate the tone of this thread, and will not stand for people making vague accusations against others here since it poisons debate. If you (or anyone else) has PROOF that someone is a viral marketer, PM a mod and we'll take action. Otherwise, the only fair and reasonable thing to do is to believe that the other side has an opinion formed in good faith...no matter how out there they might sound.

Mojovonio said:
Viral marketers!
I've been warning people not to do this...but since you aren't getting the picture, you're getting whacked too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom