• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How good are today's games?

How much better are today's games than ever before?

• Today's games are artistic and technical masterpieces which break standard progression expectations

Votes: 21 16.4%
  • Today's games are excellent products of a linear game design progression.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Today's games are the least we can expect

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Today's games are failing to live up to the progression embodied in earlier titles

Votes: 23 18.0%
  • Today's games are missing key components that games of yesteryear had in spades.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 7.0%

• Total voters

Bryank75

Banned
Ah, ok. Personally I think 2017 is one of the best years in gaming of all time, but I don't think many other recent ears holds up that well compared to the likes of 2010, 2007, 2004, 2001, 1998, 1997, 1995, 1994.
2018?
GOW, Spider-man, Smash Bros Ultimate, RDR2, Monster Hunter World, Detroit, Astro Bot, SOTC remake, Tetris Effect, Beat Saber...

I think 2015 till 2020 have all been excellent years on PlayStation if you look back...

Nintendo has been very good the last 2 and a half years or so also.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
For a masterpiece, I can just think of Breath of the Wild in past 10 years. For really great games I can think a lot, like Persona 5, Doom 2016 and Eternal, Devil May Cry 5, REmake 2, Cuphead... For good games I can pick also a bunch, like Titanfall 2, Arkham Knight, God of War, Spiderman, Halo 5... There's a lot of games this gen.

This generation was the realization of what past gen wanted to be. Publishers got aware how expensive games became, developers got the direction of how big a game can be, how long and how much staff needs, and Capcom got back... for now

Bryank75

Banned
For a masterpiece, I can just think of Breath of the Wild in past 10 years. For really great games I can think a lot, like Persona 5, Doom 2016 and Eternal, Devil May Cry 5, REmake 2, Cuphead... For good games I can pick also a bunch, like Titanfall 2, Arkham Knight, God of War, Spiderman, Halo 5... There's a lot of games this gen.

This generation was the realization of what past gen wanted to be. Publishers got aware how expensive games became, developers got the direction of how big a game can be, how long and how much staff needs, and Capcom got back... for now
Matter of taste, I have all of those games except for Halo.. cause the series was done after 3 for me...

GOW is my favorite game ever, except for maybe MGS / MGS3

For many people Bloodborne is the best game ever... definitely the pinnacle of the Souls formula so far.

BOTW is up there but it's not perfect.... it's missing the great dungeons of previous games.

For people into superhero games.. Arkham City is usually cited as the best Batman game and for people who prefer Marvel or a brighter game... Spider-man is definitely the most popular..... it's probably more popular than the Arkham games now.

FFVII remake is going to be massively popular with people as one of the best games of the last ten years due to how well executed it is as well as the strong nostalgia.

TLOU.... loads will say is the best game of the last 20 years / not to mention 10. Similarly others will say RDR2 or GTAV

So......there are tons of games that are 'masterpieces' for many people, it's not a term that only fits one persons perspective.

P.S. I just finished Doom 2016.... it's very enjoyable but it's not that great either.... huge problems with repetitive areas, closed arenas...not enough animations or things to change up the gameplay. The last boss is too easy too...

Last edited:

Caffeine

jedi fallen order felt like a husk to me in comparison to the older star wars games. Also farcry 5 holy shit its been memed enough but i think its a stark look into how devs really dont give a shit about systems and interaction with environment they just want something that looks pretty.

Moogle11

Banned
It's all just down to taste. As I've said, I'm loving games more than ever and I've been gaming seriously since the NES.

My tastes just happened to shift in ways that mirrored the AAA industry. As I got older I got more into movies, shows and books than games, so when we started getting all these "interactive movie" type games, my gaming interest surged again. I don't have the time, patience or mental energy for solving puzzles, hard fights, getting frustrated and pissed off when I'm already fried and want to relax. So I'd been gaming a lot less until we started getting more and more story driven, cinematic things that I found more immersive than movies/shows due to having some agency, but not very frustrating as the gameplay is pretty straightforward, games I found harder I could usually put on easy etc.

That said, even for the gameplay focused crowd, with the huge indie seen there's more variety in games than ever. The only people I can see having legitimate gripes are those that only like gameplay focused stuff with AAA production values as we don't get many of those. Otherwise people who have niche tastes are always going to have less to play.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think there is a reason why backwards compatibility is now seen as a valuable feature by gamers, and why retro gaming has boomed the past few years. And it's because today's games are mostly shit, and operate on exploitative business models.

mcjmetroid

Companies are simply taking no chances.

The bit one for me is gameplay styles and especially with controls.
Controls have been 'perfected' and set in stone and newer gamers are unwilling to change.

There is a set control scheme for third person shooters and set for other genres. It never changes. Maybe it shouldn't but
Don't you miss when games had off controls at first like super monkey ball but amazing once you get used to.

Even a game like Mario Odyssey. People gave it shit here for being too easy but what you ever seen a non Mario gamer try it?
It's insanely different from any other game out there and even that's the same more or less as old Nintendo games.

Nintendo are the only ones here( and perhaps platinum games) that try new things that's not an indie developer but even they are mostly resorting to remakes and sequels these days. Every generation they supply us with a snipperclips, a Splatoon a Pikmin etc

I'm not excited for games like the last of us 2 because I know what to expect gameplay wise. People are playing the game for the story which is still weird to me. Story to me in a game is a bonus is HAS to play well which is why I HATED red dead redemption 2.

At least Death Stranding tried something different with everything and I gave it shit at the time but I've turned around on it. It tried something different, is it perfect? No

SantaC

Companies are simply taking no chances.

The bit one for me is gameplay styles and especially with controls.
Controls have been 'perfected' and set in stone and newer gamers are unwilling to change.

There is a set control scheme for third person shooters and set for other genres. It never changes. Maybe it shouldn't but
Don't you miss when games had off controls at first like super monkey ball but amazing once you get used to.

Even a game like Mario Odyssey. People gave it shit here for being too easy but what you ever seen a non Mario gamer try it?
It's insanely different from any other game out there and even that's the same more or less as old Nintendo games.

Nintendo are the only ones here( and perhaps platinum games) that try new things that's not an indie developer but even they are mostly resorting to remakes and sequels these days. Every generation they supply us with a snipperclips, a Splatoon a Pikmin etc

I'm not excited for games like the last of us 2 because I know what to expect gameplay wise. People are playing the game for the story which is still weird to me. Story to me in a game is a bonus is HAS to play well which is why I HATED red dead redemption 2.

At least Death Stranding tried something different with everything and I gave it shit at the time but I've turned around on it. It tried something different, is it perfect? No
and with the corona virus, companies will now take even less chances :(

Moogle11

Banned
Like every other form of entertainment, you just need to know where to look and what to pick.

Very true as well. Another part of me enjoying gaming more is just knowing my tastes, sticking to my comfort zone, and not caring much about review scores or forum hype. That led me astray as there were too many critically acclaimed and/or forum hyped games I bought and ended up not liking as they just weren't within my tastes.

Now I've gotten rid of any fear of missing out and just stick with what I like and if I have personal droughts I just focus on things like movies, books and tv shows--hobbies I enjoy just as much as gaming. Better to play fewer games and only ones I end up loving every year, than playing a bunch and having many I'm ho-hum or worse on as I now spend that time on other things I end up loving. I'm all about that maximizing pleasure, minimizing pain life. If more were we wouldn't see so many forums, Reddits and social media feeds of people whining about their anxiety and depression all the time IMO.

I honestly dont know whos todays target audience is.

Stealth is dead, but 21:9 monitor support and vr are becoming more widely supported.

Shenmue 3 exists.

Mass Effect is dead even though they targeted an audience that said that they wanted a game that touched on the issues they said they wanted touched on.

Resident Evil is a FPS and TPS. Even though the remasters and ps1 versions with fixed camera angles sold gangbusters which is what lead capcom coming to the conclusion that there is a market for them, so naturally, they threw away the things people liked and made an FPS and TPS.

FF series remasters and ps1 versions have sold stupid amounts of copies, so naturally, QuearEnix threw away what everyone liked about them and made action "rpgs", because even though Pokemon still sells a bajillion, turn based is apparently dead.

Does the arcade racing genre even exist anymore outside of cell shaded/cartoony indie games?

The Dark Souls genre has carried over multiple generations along with the battleroyale genre which is now spread across multiple platforms with crossplay. COD is still here and none of these show any sign of slowing down, but apparently stealth and turn based combat has had its day.

The next big "innovation" will be a WW2 BR setting and youll buy it.

Doom has more platforming than a Tomb Raider game. On the back of that, Lara Croft now cries in her games.

Resetera has control over video game content (Crash Team Racing is the latest victim to my knowledge).

Kolumbo

Banned
They're good technically but I think we are past that golden era of videogames. It used to be far cheaper to make them and that resulted in developers willing to experiment and by them experimenting we got many games that we now today consider classics. But in todays time, the budget for making games is really high so you loose that experimentation part which results in games just mostly being the same or similar to one another.

Pansy

They're great technically but games used to be more daring and experimental.
Nowadays games seem to play it safe which results in all the games being almost the same.

#restoremythreadmakingabilities
THIS
I cannot tell you how much more immersed I feel in 1990's explorative immsersive sims than I do these banal, rail-oriented walking simulator games made these days. The original System Shock set such a spooky, incredible atmosphere that felt more exciting than what I experienced playing Dead Space and its kin.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I really just miss single player with ambition and creativity.
For me, the gaming slowed WAY down after 2013 or rather focused on multiplayer and gaas games which I just don't like. We had great games since 2013 but not as often or as innovative imo as before. Sure, the last guardian, Bloodborne, Death Stranding, God of war, Hellblade and quite a lot more are all amazing games and I will gladly take less games but of this good quality.

As a last gen example look at Saint's row 3 or 4. Some of my favorite games which are not discussed nearly enough. The amount of creativity, character and just thinking outside the box in these 2 games is greater than most stuff nowadays.
The missions are memorable, humor is memorable and characters interactions are memorable.
This is a story mission in Saint's row 4 !!!

Now, this is just an example but there are many more creative single player game (Gears of war Trilogy, The Darkness, Shadows of the Damned, Bioshock, Dead Space, Mirrors Edge, crackdown, Alan Wake, uncharted2,3, Dead rising, Lost planet and many more)
Last gen was INSANITY with many new AA and AAA games each month. Most of great franchises were created back then or had their best games back then.
It might be that it was JUST ME having my best gaming years back then but seriously - It felt like every month had a significant new game or 2 coming out that presented something new and was worth playing. Nowadays it turned to 1 to 3 exciting titles per year for me.
Just look at games I've finished/replayed this year and I wanted to create RTTP topic for most of those (but I am lazy) ...There are only 2 new games here which is not too bad actually considering it's april
Max Payne 2
May Payne
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Half-Life
Unreal
Doom Eternal
Half-Life: Alyx
Half-Life 2
Half-Life ep1
Half-Life ep2
Getting Over It

I know I probably don't get my point across but I just like single player games and these peaked around last gen with this gen iterating on the experiences for the most part and not many studios decide to make full blown creative game because GAAS just sells better.
And I might be stuck in the old ways but nowadays I usually replay my fav games, play Enter the gungeon and Binding of isaac until something new comes out.

Edit: Really sorry for the old grandpa rambling :p I hyped myself to replay Saints row 3 and 4 since I've not played those in few years. And Bioshock Infinite since I remember loving it and there was some talk about it recently.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
They're great technically but games used to be more daring and experimental.
Nowadays games seem to play it safe which results in all the games being almost the same.

#restoremythreadmakingabilities

Well the problem is most games have peaked in design. There really isn't a whole lot more you can do with them. So they werent daring before, they were just new is all. Same way comic books and heavy metal were daring when they first came out, now its all pretty much the same with the exception of creativity setting things apart a little but for the most part they aren't too different.

Video games without a quantum leap in technology or some never before seen evolution in how we interact with them won't really change much from what we have now. Nothing has unlimited potential.

MiguelItUp

Went with "Today's games are missing key components that games of yesteryear had in spades."

Games nowadays are visually impressive, and have all the details, well, sometimes. But they're missing content that provides longevity, and then some. It's as if the package on the outside is incredible, but the inside is hollow.

I mean, it's crazy to think of games like DOOM that existed when they did and provided single player, multiplayer, and coop. Nowadays we're getting just one piece of a pie, rather than the whole thing.

Sometimes we get packages that feel full, or just about full. But they're definitely few and far between. It's a shame.

"Today's games are missing key components that games of yesteryear had in spades." was my closest choice.
Some things have been improved from old games, like controls, the physical aspect of character creation, HUDs and graphics. Sometimes newer games have even outdone old games, whether in terms of story presentation or gameplay elements, when it comes to various genres.
However, most games have abandoned a lot of important components of older games, that often lead to them to cripple themselves. In terms of story, there's knowing that less is more. A character babbling isn't characterization that's meaningful. Sometimes character have various degrees of importance they should get, thus some characters just need to be simplified to their general archetype.
Older games felt more ambitious, often being very experimental and at times mind boggling that they were given this sorta free reign. They were also more far less hindered by monetization schemes, which more than often tends to take something away from the game. Games nowadays try perhaps too hard to be accommodating to the player as well.

To give an example, we can look at The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall. That game had a shit ton of ambition. A world procedurally generated in large part and touched up after, that have thousands of designed cities and dungeons and even procedurally generated ones. That game had you physically controlling your sword to hit, it had an immensely customizable character creation that you could dabble in, or you could just answer questions to receive a class. Doors could be picked, but they could also be broken down with force, unless fortified. You could create your own spells even. Dungeons really felt like dungeons. You could easily get lost and they had puzzle aspects of them that you would need to solve in order to complete a quest (mostly pulling a lever somewhere though). It had a detailed 3D map as you explored in order to accomplish this. You even had climbing. Heck, it even had a horse and a wagon, in order for you to carry with your spoils from dungeoneering. It had a lot of flaws, especially bugs, but it had a shitton of ambition.
The sequel Morrowind, went in a different direction, instead focusing on a smaller, but more detailed and designed world. That's an honest design choice and Morrowind was a great game, but it also removed a lot of the ambitious features of Daggerfall. Heck, in order to relieve players of controlling swings of the sword, they just made you click. Which made for hilarious dagger spam. It was still hit-based though, making it a hilarious mismatch. Dungeons have also just been getting worse with each release. I wish they'd have made a mix of Morrowind and Daggerfall instead, perhaps holding down a bit of the scale of Daggerfall, but keeping the features.

As a newer example, you can see the same development in the Dragon Age franchise. DA:O is still the best, allowing my character to be the biggest piece of shit ever, while also relying far more on RPG mechanics than action game mechanics. 2 went for more flash, than substance.

Fallout also showed this development, with Fallout 4 being utter terrible in terms of your dialogue choices. That said, it also had interesting developments, like being able to build bases and keep communities. That was a great addition, too bad it did horribly in lots of other aspects.

You can also see this in MMORPG design as well, albeit that has become a rather dwindling genre. WoW is a great example of this development, currently stuck in a loop of expansion-only features and borrowed powers, dwindling of character customization and overall focus on cinematic presentation and linear quest progression. There's also MMORPGs like FFXIV that are surprisingly archaic and not making a seamless world. Traversing terrain feels terrible. One of the worst things in MMORPGs is also the trend of streamlining, that often cuts away unique aspects to make things simpler. Lots of things that MMORPGs do well, then to utterly fail in other aspects.

Really, old games were incredibly ambitious, despite perhaps the technology not existing to fulfill their fantasies at the time. TES:Arena allowing you to destroy dungeon walls. Lots of features that show a lack of ambition, being far more a reflection of what a business the gaming industry has become. It might also be how time consuming graphical development has become.

So it's not "old games were better", but more like "a lot of old games have lost some of the great things in older games, while improving in other areas".
With how easier it's to develop games and publish them nowadays, I do imagine we'll see more mechanically or narratively ambitious games. I think AAA plays it a bit too safe to expect much from them, outside of certain dedicated studios. Star Citizen can at least be seen as very ambitious, albeit I'm still a bit skeptical as to whether it'll avoid feature creep and actually get a somewhat whole release (even though it'll certainly continue development).

Soulsdark

It's such a mixed bag.
I do feel like Sony exclusives in particular tho have a very samey feeling to them and like they've been made in a board room by people in suits for '' mass appeal ''.
There's nothing necessarily wrong about that, and I do understand it from a business perspective. But when people praise games like God of War for example for '' taking risks '' I have no clue what in the hell they're talking about.
That game played it as safe as they possibly could've, they just adopted like every trend ever and the whole '' sad dad '' thing is just typical Hollywood. In Hollywood they literally have checklists for these things when it comes to your typical movies that is meant for mass appeal, it's why you see so many children in movies just shoved in there because they're trying to touch the heartstrings of easily manipulated parents. World War Z is probably one of the most bizarre cases of this.
Now, I am not saying that this was the intent of GoW. Cory seems like a nice guy and I think that the whole thing was genuine, at the same time tho I do find it a bit obnoxious in a way when developers project so much of what's going on in their personal life into the game. Like they have a kid and suddenly they make games with kids in them and about how tough it is to be a parent etc.
Not saying that it's a bad thing, just from a personal pov of someone who doesn't care about children and don't want them these things in a more general sense are very transparent to me.
I do think that GoW was a more genuine case of this tho while most of it ( especially in Hollywood ) isn't, the only thing that bothered me was some of the marketing that always happens about how the old games were trash and '' immature '' and how GoW is oh so mature now because game journalists are such insanely insecure people who can't enjoy things unless they're '' realistic '' and super serious.

But yeah, GoW is one of these cases where I just scratch my head because like I said people say that the game was a massive risk but if you actually think about it and break the game down it played it very safe. It was the same with the Tomb Raider reboot, it didn't take risks. It just adopted popular trends.
To me the problem with this is that it ends up making AAA games especially feel so similar, like they're too calculated.
Again I do understand why this happens, they're such a huge investement and in the end of the day they just want to maximize profits.
I guess that what bothers me about them is that they get so much praise for not actually taking any real risks or doing anything that original at all.
I mean even a game like DoA takes more risks, especially considering the current climate and how the dev studio and game is treated by game journalists. DoA is not a safe game, I'd argue that fighting games in general really except for Mortal Kombat are unsafe really because of how niche the genre is.
They even did try and expand with DoA6 which was genuinely risky.
Your typical Sony exclusive on the other hand is like the safest you could possibly be and people will praise you and put your game up on a pedestal for doing what is just the norm in Hollywood and what 1000000 games have done before you already very recently.

I also think that technology is sort of a limiting factor in a way.
Game development isn't only about skill, studios behind these AAA games aren't necessarily just more skilled than people working in smaller studios. It's also a matter of fancy equipment and loads of resources, which usually also means less tight deadlines and less worrying about budgets. And if something goes wrong you actually have the time and tools to fix it, you don't have to leave it in or cut it like you may if you're a smaller studio.
I think that the problem tho is that the equipment can be a bit restrictive in a way.
Because you're pushed so hard into realism and often times the gameplay gets a bit dumbed down for the sake of being '' cinematic ''.
GoW's camera is a pretty good example of this imo, it's just awful... And it was deliberate, because they wanted us to be '' close to Kratos '' so that we could better '' relate '' to him. But it significantly impacted the gameplay in a negative way.
And I think a lot of it had to do with this weird idea that video games need to be more like movies, and I think that goes hand in hand with the higher budget and better equipment too.

On the other hand, I think that TW:Warhammer is incredible. There are flaws with the game but overall I think that it's the best TW game yet.
But I also think that a lot of it is because they know that it's a game, and they won't apologize for it.
Sony exclusives sorta try and walk this weird line between movies and video games and I think that the actual gameplay suffers. Which ultimately I think is what matters in the long term.
I mean every time I hear people talk about these games people almost only talk about how pretty the graphics are or the story. Horizon Zero Dawn comes to mind too, I rarely ever hear anyone talk about the gameplay.

There are just so many games out there that take actual risks and are 100 times more fun to play, but they don't get this downright hysterical amounts of praise because they're not the equivelant of Oscar bait for games.

Soulsdark

Went with "Today's games are missing key components that games of yesteryear had in spades."

Games nowadays are visually impressive, and have all the details, well, sometimes. But they're missing content that provides longevity, and then some. It's as if the package on the outside is incredible, but the inside is hollow.

I mean, it's crazy to think of games like DOOM that existed when they did and provided single player, multiplayer, and coop. Nowadays we're getting just one piece of a pie, rather than the whole thing.

Sometimes we get packages that feel full, or just about full. But they're definitely few and far between. It's a shame.

I think that the fact that Doom Eternal stands out so much says a lot about how far in one direction we've gone.
Doom Eternal being '' gamey '' is an actual talking point that people are bringing up almost like they're ashamed to talk about it, but maybe there should be more games like that?
DMC5 comes to mind too as a game that is quite '' gamey '', and that's also what makes it fun.

I definitely think that there is a problem with games being so ultra focused on being '' cinematic ''.
It's quite exhausting imo, those games have a place and should exist. But at the same time sometimes I just want to slay demons or do cool and awesome combos and kill things with style.
But there really aren't many games like that anymore.

I mean I am not joking, there were articles coming out about DMC5 and Code Vein where the authors were ashamed of enjoying the games.
I think that says a lot about how ridiculous it all is and I don't think that they're alone really. I think that there's this obsession with '' seriousness '' in gaming and strive towards being more like movies because movies are a '' respectable form of media for adults ''.
There's a lot of insecurity surrounding video games and people who unironically feel ashamed for just simply enjoying things unless it has a '' message ''.
Maybe not every game needs to try and change the world or whatever lol.

Last edited:

INC

Gfx have got better

- Ai hasnt changed in 10 years
- Gameplay hasn't changed in 10 years, just more icons on the mini map for fetch quests
- online has gotten worse
- release now, fix later attitude and live services is shit

Vr been great tho, but not a lot of genuine games, more experiences, even alyx is just a walking simulator, with basic combat, looks great tho

MiguelItUp

I think that the fact that Doom Eternal stands out so much says a lot about how far in one direction we've gone.
Doom Eternal being '' gamey '' is an actual talking point that people are bringing up almost like they're ashamed to talk about it, but maybe there should be more games like that?
DMC5 comes to mind too as a game that is quite '' gamey '', and that's also what makes it fun.

I definitely think that there is a problem with games being so ultra focused on being '' cinematic ''.
It's quite exhausting imo, those games have a place and should exist. But at the same time sometimes I just want to slay demons or do cool and awesome combos and kill things with style.

I mean I am not joking, there were articles coming out about DMC5 and Code Vein where the authors were ashamed of enjoying the games.
I think that says a lot about how ridiculous it all is and I don't think that they're alone really. I think that there's this obsession with '' seriousness '' in gaming and strive towards being more like movies because movies are a '' respectable form of media for adults ''.
There's a lot of insecurity surrounding video games and people who unironically feel ashamed for just simply enjoying things unless it has a '' message ''.
I definitely agree with that. I feel like there was a period where games were taking themselves too seriously. Not that everything needs to be absurd and ridiculous, but it's okay to have "gamey" things. I absolutely love how Eternal was handled, I'm just legit bummed that all there is other than campaign (well, and master levels), is Battle Mode. I replayed the campaign more times than any other game that I've played in years, and I love that. I just wish Battle Mode had more meat on it or something. I'm a HUGE DOOM fan, and it sucks knowing that there's a mode in the game that I'm just not really feeling at all. I keep giving it a shot, but it doesn't have the legs that I wish it did.

teezzy

Banned

It's a sign of the times.

Everything in the world is taken so seriously now that people are constantly dissecting everything to bits. It is almost as if some forgot how to just have fun rather than digging up hidden implications in everything.

Remember the days where you had just a few games, and you played those to death? Hardly mattered if the games were good or bad. Lord knew you wouldnt have the opportunity to get a new title until next Christmas. I miss that.

No obsessing over industry trends, or contemplating gaming as an artform in some bizarre meta contextual narrative.

People need to step back, grab a controller, and shut up for a change.

I've really strugged finding many games to be very engaging anymore. I think the problem for me is everything is too formulaic. Companies aren't willing to take risk because development costs are to high. I also gravitate more towards story driven games, and while there have ben some gems this generation, they feel few and far between.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
3rd parties are often disappointing rehashes. I miss the days when something like a Simpsons game could be a fun and unique experience.

Luckily Sony still pushes diversity in their exclusives otherwise things would be really stale.

Kagey K

Banned

I really only came in here because this was the first thing I wanted to reply to that thread title.

In reality there are some very good games being made right now, but too many of them are losing the plot over trying to tell a story or keeping players hooked long term.

The ones telling the story forget that the gameplay between cutscenes is supposed to be fun. The ones trying to hook players (usually service based multiplayer) have great core gameplay, but then keep players on the treadmill of levels and battlepasses.

There needs to be more balance.

There is so much junk to filter through now, and the big players seem to just want to make either a big “cinematic” game or a long term constantly updated multiplayer game. (Or in the case of Ubisoft, both)

There is a huge chunk of opportunity missed by not catering to the people that want a story and fun gameplay, without having to be AAA all day or jump on the daily grind.

Voted "Other".

Here's a combined answer from two poll options: Most of today's games are artistic and technical masterpieces missing key components that games of yesteryear had in spades.

In other words: pretty on the outside, empty on the inside.

Luckily, there are a few diamonds in the rough. Otherwise I would have stopped gaming a long ago.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Things like RDR2, COD WARZONE, SEA OF THIEVES and others are the things of dreams when i was playing Goldeneye on my N64. I never dreamt games would be like this 23yrs ago, but to be honest i did not know much about tech or gaming back then, i thought dips in framerate were just the way things were.

AAA titles are better looking and more accessible than ever, but they have also become formulaic and predictable. It's a natural consequence of rising development costs. AA games and indies are picking up the slack, though, at least to some extent.

There are some genres that I think have gotten significantly worse over the past two decades, namely first person shooters. Making consoles the main platform for those led to a number of gameplay changes (low FOV, lack of skill-based movement, reliance on ADS) that took the genre backwards from where it was in the late 90s, and it never really recovered. That's just my opinion, though. I'm sure people who grew up playing shooters on consoles will disagree.

Ellery

No easy answer for me here. I feel like it is hard for me to objectively judge this, because of nostalgia and being older makes you much more aware about shortcomings. Basically you upgrade your quality radar all your life. It is easy to spot bad textures, cheesy dialogues or story flaws in a game nowadays. As a 10 year old you just lived through the magic moments like you were in that game.

The last few years I have seen some truly great games though. Dark Souls, The Last of Us, God of War, The Witcher 3 and many many more and also indie games that were amazing.
Some sequel to games have taken a step back from what made them enjoyable and they didn't do well in a more open world environment and lost pacing, soul, love and charm.

With that being said I am still in love with games and in the last years or so I have played a lot of games and I genuinely enjoyed my time. It has also a lot to do with motivation and being honest to yourself. It is better to just play a new game, motivate yourself to start instead of living in nostalgia, dreaming about the fond memories of your childhood.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Games have improved technically about how I would have expected. Gameplay? That's taken a nose dive in the AAA space.

Luckily we have a slew of unique and interesting smaller titles. If I have any knock against these, it's the how early access (paid betas) that need to go away.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Gfx have got better

- Ai hasnt changed in 10 years
- Gameplay hasn't changed in 10 years, just more icons on the mini map for fetch quests
- online has gotten worse
- release now, fix later attitude and live services is shit

Vr been great tho, but not a lot of genuine games, more experiences, even alyx is just a walking simulator, with basic combat, looks great tho

I'd argue graphics haven't really gotten better, and gameplay has nosedived.

I loaded up Assassins Creed Brotherhood the other day. Now, that game has a lot of problems, so I don't want to make it out to be a masterpiece. But it was a really interesting attempt at building a world and a society, advancing as a character, and telling a story. Fable 2 is another game that comes to mind that takes a similar stab at this.

But now, Assassins Creed games have XP levels, numbers flying off enemies' heads when you hit them, colored loot, three-branch skill trees, scaled enemies, and fetch quests. In other words, they took out everything that made the series unique and replaced with the same shit in every other game. I remember loading up Odyssey and just being bored, because it wasn't just the exact same game as Origins, it was the exact same game as everything else coming out.

Brotherhood came out ten years ago, and is a more interesting and better game on far more primitive hardware. This just shouldn't be.

Bankai

I really love today's games! There's so much variety & choice nowadays, that IMO it's your own damn fault when complaining about "everything's the same, yesteryear's game was better blahblah". Try a little harder to find somethign you like, because there is SO MUCH to be found. Don't get stuck playing the COD's of the world, when you crave for something different.

I'm always on the lookout for different kinds of experiences in games. I play games like Bioshock, Uncharted and God of War but also games like Erica, Astrobot, Return of the Obra Dinn, KONA and Sonic Mania.

Variety is the spice of life!

Also, new experiences like PSVR really took my love for gaming to new heights. Can't wait for next-gen for more goodness!

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
"Games today" are so varied and numerous that such a label is meaningless.

_Ex_

I've been ardently playing these video game things since 1983. I've lived and played through many generations of this medium. I say video games were at their peak in the '90s. For reasons I'd have to write an essay to explain, but I'm not in an essay writing mood. That's not to say modern video games aren't any good, there's still very good modern video games being made. But in modern times the true spirit of video gaming has been all too often homogenized and diluted, in the name of profit and appeasing the lowest common denominator.

Top Bottom