• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How hackers broke Pokémon Go's anti-cheat technology in four days

Uh no. This shit happens in all competitive / popular games, even if the developers have done nothing 'wrong'. You could only argue that people were extra motivated, but you could also argue that it's also got more to do with the huge popularity than with the way Niantic has treated the game so far.

Where did I say this ONLY happens in Pokemon and not other games? All I did was juxtapose Niantic's situation with GameFreak's.

Some are doing it for financial gain. Like there's programs that allow you to run run several hundred instance of the game at once, and get them to level 20 in an afternoon. Then they sell the accounts for a couple bucks a piece.

That is insane. Is the market for secondhand accounts that lucrative?

ymgve

This was more a concentrated effort by the pokemapping community than botters. Things would not have been cracked so quickly if it wasn't for the fact that people has gotten used to consulting maps as a replacement for the broken "nearby" feature, and the drive to getting maps working again was what made so many people collaborate.

Ooccoo

That's why I'd never develop a iOS or PC game. Cheaters are everywhere, at least on console it's harder to do.

That is insane. Is the market for secondhand accounts that lucrative?

I don't know, but like most online games the price crashes fast as more people catch wind on how to do it and flood the market with hundreds of accounts. Though it'll instantly shoot back up if/when all those accounts get banned, starting the process over.

That's why I'd never develop a iOS or PC game. Cheaters are everywhere, at least on console it's harder to do.

You develop where money is if you want to be successful. Niantic found a niche in mobile that wouldn't have been as successful on consoles.

hemo memo

So Niantic (pressure from The Pokemon Company I presume) to shutdown 3rd party tracking apps and removal of the feature is what led to this.

Acinixys

So Niantic (pressure from The Pokemon Company I presume) to shutdown 3rd party tracking apps and removal of the feature is what led to this.

According to them, they were getting so many requests via trackers it was destabilizing the servers

It more than doubled their traffic

BUT, such trackers only existed en mass because Niantic broke their own game by removing the nearby tracking feature

So the community banding together to fix a problem the devs created just created more problems for the devs

To be fair I dont think they expacted half a BILLION installs one month after release

The hackers enjoy the thrill of hacking new security features than they do playing the game. They are pretty much salivating at the chance to break whatever new features pop up, you cant win against them.

According to them, they were getting so many requests via trackers it was destabilizing the servers

It more than doubled their traffic

BUT, such trackers only existed en mass because Niantic broke their own game by removing the nearby tracking feature

So the community banding together to fix a problem the devs created just created more problems for the devs

To be fair I dont think they expacted half a BILLION installs one month after release

Should've seen it coming.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I'm no developer, but I'm guessing if the problem were as easily solved as some are suggesting, then Niantic would have solved it.

It must not be so easily solved? And this whole "people hacking your game" problem seems to have been around for decades, still not solved, but Niantic should just spend some of that pokécash and hire some people to solve it, right?

It's impossible to outright solve it, but there's ways and means to fight and delay.
Including handing out permabans instead of damn softbans.

Jarsonot

I bet you there's more money in them softbanning rather than handing out permas.

I dunno. I doubt the people using bots are spending money.

If they took a hard stance with permabans (and advertised that well), I think a lot of would-be cheaters would just play it safe. And if they can't bot to control hella gyms they'd be more apt to spend money.

Am I a bad person for being impressed with this hack? The execution, the turnaround time, the dedication... all of it is just fascinating. I feel the same way about thieves that get away with masterfully planned heists.

Please don't judge me

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
This game more than any other in recent memory has me facepalmig at the fan and community reaction. Not just the incredibly asinine armchair developer problem but lack of empathy at a small developer, people making up facts and incredibly short fuses for anything that goes wrong.

Making games is hard, people, really hard. Nothing in a game is easy to do! A month after release for a live game is usually incredibly hectic even for unsuccesful games, but the biggest app of all time? Its impossible for shit to not go wrong. Impossible.

Yeah it looks like most people seem to forget that this app is only out a month in the wild. yet it is basically online almost everywhere over the world with millions of people playing it...and we arent talking about a developer with 500 devs or whatever...of course the hacker community is in advantage right now...

R00bot

blanket statements like that make you look really stupid and clueless as to what hackers actually do

They're obviously referring to the type of hacker that ruins the fun in competitive games for other people by doing shit like this.

Of course there's also the good kind of hacker, and that's without downplaying the incredible thing these guys have achieved by hacking this, they're really smart guys. Just smart dicks.

R00bot

Am I a bad person for being impressed with this hack? The execution, the turnaround time, the dedication... all of it is just fascinating. I feel the same way about thieves that get away with masterfully planned heists.

Please don't judge me

It's fine, I'm impressed too. Kinda wish they weren't wasting their efforts on something this pointless and just downright bad for the game's community (basically everyone).

Someone should tell Niantic that you can't beat the hackers this way unless you want to dedicate all your time to new hacking prevention systems instead of developing the actual game.

Instead of constantly trying to disable the 3rd party trackers, they should be trying to make the game more playable so legit players don't need the trackers.

Also right now the game has literally nothing of value for hackers, there aren't any meaningful win conditions and therefore there's nothing to buy. It's not like an MMO where selling gold is a profitable activity, the game doesn't even have Pokemon trading right now!

Focus on making the game better Niantic. There's no financial gain from hacking Pokemon Go so they'll get bored and stop when you stop giving them reasons to hack.

Also right now the game has literally nothing of value for hackers, there aren't any meaningful win conditions and therefore there's nothing to buy. It's not like an MMO where selling gold is a profitable activity, the game doesn't even have Pokemon trading right now!

As I mentioned previously, there are people farming/selling accounts for monetary gains. They only make a couple bucks an account, but you can literally bot hundreds at a time if you know what you're doing. Of course now the market is saturated, which is why sniping (teleporting to known rare pokeman spawns to catch them) is becoming popular because you can sell them for more.

R00bot

Someone should tell Niantic that you can't beat the hackers this way unless you want to dedicate all your time to new hacking prevention systems instead of developing the actual game.

Instead of constantly trying to disable the 3rd party trackers, they should be trying to make the game more playable so legit players don't need the trackers.

Focus on making the game better Niantic. There's no financial gain from hacking Pokemon Go so they'll get bored and stop when you stop giving them reasons to hack.

I think with a game this popular it wouldn't even matter if it was easy to play without hacking, also given the game's hook being having to move your fat ass, people will always try to find a way to avoid doing that

As I mentioned previously, there are people farming/selling accounts for monetary gains. They only make a couple bucks an account, but you can literally bot hundreds at a time if you know what you're doing. Of course now the market is saturated, which is why sniping (teleporting to known rare pokeman spawns to catch them) is becoming popular because you can sell them for more.

Account selling is in like every online game ever. It cannot ever be totally stamped out and really it's pointless to try.

It's important to realize that Ingress and Pokemon Go are a lot like MMOs which take place in the real world. Much like an MMO, there will be botting, there will be hacking, there will be account selling. This is especially problematic in F2P MMOs, because you can just create new accounts to keep doing it.

Account selling is in like every online game ever. It cannot ever be totally stamped out and really it's pointless to try.

It's important to realize that Ingress and Pokemon Go are a lot like MMOs which take place in the real world. Much like an MMO, there will be botting, there will be hacking, there will be account selling. This is especially problematic in F2P MMOs, because you can just create new accounts to keep doing it.

The point isn't to 'stamp' it out. It's to minimize it by making it more risky so fewer people are willing to buy accounts (since any day they could be found out and banned). This has the side effect of making the account prices higher so even fewer people are willing to throw money at new accounts. And with that smaller demand comes the inevitable smaller supply. This is exactly how SquareEnix kept account selling down in FFXI when I played it. Yes it still happened, but the accounts were hundreds to thousands of dollars because of the vigilance in banning people. And the bulk of those accounts were being purchased by those who were banned before. So it's nice to keep having the cheater-addicts throw their money away account after account.

It's fine, I'm impressed too. Kinda wish they weren't wasting their efforts on something this pointless and just downright bad for the game's community (basically everyone).

I agree. But what do you think they should be doing? Homebrew hacking? Cyber security?

spekkeh

Banned
Niantic is following down GameFreak's path at this point. None of them realizing that the only reason people are hacking is because of BS hurdles that prevent the game from being fully enjoyed (taking away trackers, etc).
really_house_of_cards.gif

Yes this is the only reason people are hacking. Also people pirate stuff only to try it out and then immediately buy it.

spekkeh

Banned

Yes because legit players see a Gym taken over by cheaters stacked with Snorlaxes and Dragonites and think oh boy I should try just a little bit harder.

M3d10n

They cannot implement some of the highly requested features such as trading while hacking runs rampant. Since they are resorting to encrypted hashing, it means Niantic still hasn't swallowed the hard pill of online game development: clients should not be trusted and all business logic must be done server-side. They need to assume clients can call any API endpoint at any time, as often as they wish and with whatever parameters they fancy and only then they'll have the right mindset to harden their game against hackers.

Also, the idea that people hack solely for "gold farming" is naive at best. Any and every multiplayer game where there's even the slight form of competition between players and/or some sort of grind is a target for people who want to cheat their way over others.

Aureon

They cannot implement some of the highly requested features such as trading while hacking runs rampant. Since they are resorting to encrypted hashing, it means Niantic still hasn't swallowed the hard pill of online game development: clients should not be trusted and all business logic must be done server-side. They need to assume clients can call any API endpoint at any time, as often as they wish and with whatever parameters they fancy and only then they'll have the right mindset to harden their game against hackers.

Also, the idea that people hack solely for "gold farming" is naive at best. Any and every multiplayer game where there's even the slight form of competition between players and/or some sort of grind is a target for people who want to cheat their way over others.

The issue is that for an AR game, you can't have a server-authoritative positioning system.

A needed step would be to prevent all emulators access, but that's going to be tricky.

kswiston

I dont know much about this game but my brother was saying that bots are already doing the gym challenges. He and a friend took a gym recently and had it reclaimed in seconds even though it was in a park and there was clearly no one around.

Allforce

Honestly had no idea this was a thing, as someone who played for like 2 days when it came out and then dropped it I sort of want to use this to see the rest of the Pokemon available.

My kids took my phone out the other day for the first time and just found more Ratatas to add to the dozens I already had.

Briarios

For some it's just a challenge.

Sniping people from distance is a challenge, too -- doesn't mean you should do it. I'm tired of the whole blame the victims mentality. It's sickening. The hackers shouldn't be doing what they're doing - it's ethically and legally wrong.

Of course Niantic should take better precautions -- but let's not improperly shift the blame. I should have good locks on my home's doors, but, if I didn't, it doesn't absolve the thieves who robbed me simply because I had poor security ... I was stupid, but they still deserve to go to jail.

Aureon

Sniping people from distance is a challenge, too -- doesn't mean you should do it. I'm tired of the whole blame the victims mentality. It's sickening. The hackers shouldn't be doing what they're doing - it's ethically and legally wrong.

Of course Niantic should take better precautions -- but let's not improperly shift the blame. I should have good locks on my home's doors, but, if I didn't, it doesn't absolve the thieves who robbed me simply because I had poor security ... I was stupid, but they still deserve to go to jail.

The hacker may be from a jurisdiction where those things aren't even illegal, or even if they are, they aren't prosecuted.
And unless we give up any sort of anonymity on the internet, law isn't going to be catching up to these things any time soon.

Top Bottom