• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Hunt: Showdown Creates Tense, Chaotic Fun - IGN First

Courtesy of trugc

Thanks for the video.

YT version

It isn’t easy to quickly relay what kind of game Hunt: Showdown is, since it doesn’t sit neatly into an existing pigeonhole. Hurried summations might evoke Day Z, PUBG, or even Friday 13th, and while it has elements you’d recognise from such shooters and survival games, it’s not quite like any of those. If you want to know more about how a match unfolds, you should definitely read Jon’s preview from E3. He does a fantastic job of outlining all the details and how it all works.

What I’m going to tell you about is how tense I felt creeping around the murky swamps of Louisiana, how a bungled ambush lost me an entire bounty, and how barbed wire grenades are an excellent invention for any budding monster hunter.

Even though the map is roughly only a kilometer squared, each match felt fresh due to the sheer number of variables at work. You can choose to find all the clues or camp in the centre of the map, waiting for another team to do all of the work; you can kill another team of hunters but still find yourself devoured by a pack of demonic mutts on your way to an extraction point; you can split up with your partner, choosing to camp two different extraction points, playing the game like a vulture. There are so many ways for matches to unfold and varying tactics to employ. You may perfectly execute a hunt and evac over the course of 40 nail-biting minutes or die in an instant to a hobbling zombie next to your spawn point.

Se_7_eN

Game looks great... Have they said anything about rewards or an upgrade system? Why am I hunting the monsters, what is my reward?

Ryuuga

Banned
I'm trying to decide if I liked their original vision for this, but then I re-watched the footage and it was essentially a procedurally-generated horde mode. At least since the change they added a competitive aspect to it.

Castef

Banned
I'm trying to launch the beta, yet it asks me to install some kind of anti-cheating software.

I guess I'll pass.

sunnz

Very hyped. I am a big fan of how the gunplay and general movement is more slow and makes you play carefully, instead of running and gunning with super quick ADS and such like other games.

Zombies/monsters are well developed even for alpha/closed beta ( makes games like dayz and others even mroe shameful).

My ONLY wish for this game- l4d style campaigns.
The settings, monsters, weapons and hunters all look great. Cryengine produces such good looking games, and will only get better!

Now we play the waiting game...

Top Bottom