• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How important is 4:4:4 chroma to you?

4:4:4 chroma is very important to me. Especially when playing PC games on HDTV, because PC games tend to have smaller UI elements and smaller text. Without it, everything becomes blurry and looks odd. It's also important for consoles so I just make sure I have 4:4:4 enabled for all the inputs.

EDIT: I also have all the post processing off. No artificial sharpening, dynamic color ruining or anything like that for me.

MazeHaze

Banned
4:4:4 chroma is very important to me. Especially when playing PC games on HDTV, because PC games tend to have smaller UI elements and smaller text. Without it, everything becomes blurry and looks odd. It's also important for consoles so I just make sure I have 4:4:4 enabled for all the inputs.

Maybe it's just me then! Perhaps I found my weird eye quirk akin to those who can't tell the difference between res or framerate.

Hypron

Yeah it's important. I remember playing TW3 and having all the trouble in the world reading enemies' names (which are written in red). I turned on PC mode (which has 4:4:4 chroma) and the issue was solved right away.

MaLDo

imgur keeps fucking up when I try to upload for some reason, but...

when I set windows scaling to 100 percent, 422 does clearly look worse than 444 on the last two lines, thought not completely unreadable like the examples posted previous, from my couch I can't tell the difference though, mostly because the image takes up about an eighth of my screen. I also can't think of any time I would set windows scaling to 100 percent on a TV when viewed from the couch.

My original question still stands, is this a make or break feature for a TV?

But you don't have to disable Windows dpi scaling. You only need to not zoom the picture in your browser.

You will find lots of games with fine details or distance objects or little text where 422 will make those things way worse than 444 at your native resolution.

I've seen this said, but it doesn't make sense. The HDMI 2.0 spec has enough bandwidth to do 10-bit 4K60 at 4:4:4. And there are reviews out there of TVs that talk about their use as monitors.

In the end it shouldn't matter all that much, though. 4:4:4 is most necessary on quite thin elements like text. It's thus important for PCs in general, but not most games in specific. Power lines, bits of foliage, and particles may have a bit of extra shimmer with 4:2:0, but only when very tiny (and AA will help). That's why UHD Blu-ray was content to go with 4:2:0.

No, it cannot. Even if the display supports 4:4:4 the pc (or the ps pro menu if that matters, I would select 2160p 4:2:0 for 10 bit hdr games) will automatically downgrade to 8 bit - at 60 hz-, its just that sites like rtings don't mention it. Welp, technically you can have it at 10 bit, but only at 30hz. It's just fine like for text but in games 8 bit = too much banding. It's a limitation of the HDMI spec. Look at this screenshot of the HDMI org themselves:

uK7BJg0.jpg

Hopefully when new monitors with DP 1.3/1.4 come out with HDR we could have 10 bit 4:4:4.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Here is a question for you guys

my sony 4k tv does 1080p 12 bit and 4K 8 bit. Would you guys recommend I use 1080p 12 bit?

Here is a question for you guys

my sony 4k tv does 1080p 12 bit and 4K 8 bit. Would you guys recommend I use 1080p 12 bit?

You could have 4k60hz on 10 bit at 4:2:0 (at least that's what you need to take advantage of HDR) and won't notice much. 4:4:4 is more for text. If you're couch gaming you're so far away that won't notice much. At least I don't...

Elhandro

GAF in need of help

I have been playing with HDR for SW2 and i get a really washed out screen. I am currently running a 980Ti through a Marantz SR5010 reciever to my LG65ef9500 TV. I have my card running at 4:2:0@12 bit so i can get 4K 60fps w HDR. Is there anything i can do to get the colors to be more vibrant or is there something limiting the data flow in my setup.

For the record i cant 60fps to stay on, it defaults back to 59.94fps.

Am i having a video card issue or is there something w/ my TV.

Does HDR always wash out the colors?

can anyone post an HDR screen of SW2 so i can compare?

Is there any way else that i can check to see if HDR is working propperly on my setup?

Thanks in advance

MazeHaze

Banned
But you don't have to disable Windows dpi scaling. You only need to not zoom the picture in your browser.

You will find lots of games with fine details or distance objects or little text where 422 will make those things way worse than 444 at your native resolution.
That picture wasn't zoomed in my browser.

And for the comment om TW3, I have no issues and see no difference in enemy names at 4k 422 vs 444

MazeHaze

Banned
You could have 4k60hz on 10 bit at 4:2:0 (at least that's what you need to take advantage of HDR) and won't notice much. 4:4:4 is more for text. If you're couch gaming you're so far away that won't notice much. At least I don't...
this right here are my exact feelings

GAF in need of help

I have been playing with HDR for SW2 and i get a really washed out screen. I am currently running a 980Ti through a Marantz SR5010 reciever to my LG65ef9500 TV. I have my card running at 4:2:0@12 bit so i can get 4K 60fps w HDR. Is there anything i can do to get the colors to be more vibrant or is there something limiting the data flow in my setup.

Is there any way else that i can check to see if HDR is working propperly on my setup?

Thanks in advance
That's strange. I'm using same settings on same gpu and don't get a washed out picture. Must be your display? The defaulting to 59.94 sounds like a vsync thing, but that shouldnt make much difference anyway.

Edit: it could be your receiver. My receiver supports 4k passthru, but not hdr, I hook my pc gpu into the tv itself, and an hdmi from the mobo to the receiver for audio. Try that.

Edit edit:. You will have to enable dual display to do this, most likely in your mobo bios on bootup. You use the integrated graphics for sound, and it sends a picture to the receiver, but you just select your tv input for the gpu hdmi and select the mobo hdmi on the receiver. Sounds complicated but is pretty simple once youre used to it!

Make sure you select "extend displays" in windows.

Waikis

I was worried about this because my projector only does 420 at 4k. After using it, it doesnt really bother me at all. It's only noticeable when I'm on desktop and even then it's barely noticeable from my sitting distance (3m from a 100" screen).

GAF in need of help

Thanks in advance

Have you tried plugging the pc directly to the tv? Also make sure you enable UHD color or HDMI deep color or whatever it's called in the lg menus.

99Luffy

Banned
I never knew what effect 4:4:4 chroma had, all I knew was that my asus monitor was noticeably harder to read text on than my benq beside it(yes, i have a mix matched dual monitor setup..)

Awhile later I did a chroma test and well there it was.. my asus failed the test spectacularly while the benq looked clear as water.

Wait so game mode brings the settings to 422?

At least on Samsungs, it's 4:2:0 or 4:2:2, I'm not sure on which of the two it is. On Samsungs you need to change the input name to PC to get 4:4:4 but forget about 10 or 12 bit, you're stuck on 8 bit 4:4:4 (HDMI 2.0 limitation).

mentok15

No don't worry about it. Technically yes, but if your current tv doesn't support 444 it doesnt matter.

How would I know if it does support it? It has both a game and pc mode (I have a LG LB6500) and I currently have it set to game for ps4..

TEH-CJ

Banned

Thanks man. I have the Sony x900b. It doesn't support hdr :(

Hawk269

All because of PS4 Pro OP? 4k Chroma discussions existed way before PS4 Pro and 4k TV threads existed before the Pro as well.

Per the OP thread title it is important for me and my PC which I have been using a 4k set that does 444 Chroma for the last 3 years.

Elhandro

this right here are my exact feelings

That's strange. I'm using same settings on same gpu and don't get a washed out picture. Must be your display? The defaulting to 59.94 sounds like a vsync thing, but that shouldnt make much difference anyway.

Edit: it could be your receiver. My receiver supports 4k passthru, but not hdr, I hook my pc gpu into the tv itself, and an hdmi from the mobo to the receiver for audio. Try that.

Edit edit:. You will have to enable dual display to do this, most likely in your mobo bios on bootup. You use the integrated graphics for sound, and it sends a picture to the receiver, but you just select your tv input for the gpu hdmi and select the mobo hdmi on the receiver. Sounds complicated but is pretty simple once youre used to it!

Make sure you select "extend displays" in windows.

This is a good idea. I already have my display extended with a monitor i use from my desk. Will your solution interfere with this?......would i be splitting my signal a third time or does this just split the audio from the video on the 2nd signal?

thanks....all this shit is confusing.

III-V

HDMI deep color is on.

is there any way that i can test if I am seeing the full color range?

Thanks

test patterns and a colorimeter.

Not likely that you will do this but no worries, no set today can meet the BT2020 wide color gamut spec, they reach about ~70%.

You can use simple test patterns online to determine if you are seeing full RGB, like those shown on the front page of this thread.

Can anyone tell me if I can get any HDR benefit from my TV? Samsung 60JU7100 http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ju7100

I am having a hard time understanding all the HDR stuff...

Yes, you will see some improvement over SDR content. Don't expect it to look like the highest end sets on the market today though.

Your set is not equipped with wide color gamut, and your peak brightness is only about 1/3 of the recommended for 'Premium HDR'. This can still look really good if you sit close to the TV or typically play in a dim/dark room. In a bright well lit room, the HDR may not have much pop. I don't know if you have a 10-bit (deep color) panel or not, either, but you can test that with some static test patterns if you dig in deep.

99Luffy

Banned
Can anyone tell me if I can get any HDR benefit from my TV? Samsung 60JU7100 http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ju7100

I am having a hard time understanding all the HDR stuff...
Any display that does over 100 nits of brightness(the SDR standard) will start to see the benefits of HDR. At >300 nits your samsung will have an ok HDR effect, nothing amazing but it will be quite noticeable.

Normally youd want the backlight at near maximum settings, but since your samsung isnt full array you'll have to balance it out. You want a bright image but not so much that it turns your blacks too grey.

Any display that does over 100 nits of brightness(the SDR standard) will start to see the benefits of HDR. At >300 nits your samsung will have an ok SDR effect, nothing amazing but it will be quite noticeable.

Normally youd want the backlight at near maximum settings, but since your samsung isnt full array you'll have to balance it out. You want a bright image but not so much that it turns your blacks too grey.

Cool, thanks for the clarification!

It's a limitation of the HDMI spec. Look at this screenshot of the HDMI org themselves.
Yeah, I've seen that matrix and I believe it. I just don't understand why it's the case. That same HDMI 2.0 spec sets max bandwidth at 18 Gbps. For 10-bit color in 4:4:4 (i.e. full data for every subpixel), that's 30 bits per pixel. At 60Hz, you need 1800 bits per pixel per second. A 4K frame is 8,294,400 pixels. So 4:4:4 10-bit color at 4K60 should require 14.93 Gbps, right? This leaves 3.07 Gbps headroom in the HDMI 2.0 spec. I couldn't locate data on HDMI bandwidth needs for audio, but I can't imagine 3 Gbps is somehow insufficient, even for many-channel hi-fidelity sound.

So why is the spec limited to lower video settings? The cable seems to support the bandwidth to go higher.

Pretty important as I use my TV's as PC monitors when I have them in addition to console and streaming.

I really really want to see a TV with display port. It's time to get a higher bandwidth input going for full HDR support.

Vlaphor

I'm using a really good dp to hdmi converter with my 980ti hooked up to my Samsung JU6500 4k TV and I'm getting 4k 4:4:4 with no input lag and a crystal clear screen. Granted, this TV doesn't have HDR...but it was $200 on clearance.

The dp to hdmi converter is plugged into HDMI 1 with UHD color turned on and that gives me 4k 444 at 60hz

One final edit here: According to a forum I just read, UHD color does work with the Xbox One S as HDR color, but on my computer, it reads as 8 bit, at least in 4k resolution. Does this TV also have HDR support at lower resolutions? The Witness looks amazing on this computer at 4k, but I doubt that's anything to do with HDR. As far as I know, Shadow Warrior 2 is the only game to currently support HDR on PC, so I have no idea what is going on.

dadjumper

I have a PC plugged into my TV at all times, so 4:4:4 Chroma was a huge selling point when I bought this TV. It's just 1080 but it's a noticeable difference even from like three metres away. The fonts just don't look the same with 4:2:2.

Z3M0G

** potato pictures warning **

TV at 444

img_14868wu03.jpg

TV at 422

img_148457u3n.jpg

TV at 444

img_14872rubr.jpg

TV at 422

img_1485z4u44.jpg

Things no sane person would need on a TV. Unless you are using a small TV as a monitor. Even then, who reads text that is single pixel lines??

Edit: sorry I'll just bail out because I clearly am not part of this audience.

shockdude

My original question still stands, is this a make or break feature for a TV?
Imo, no. For video games, other factors like input lag, contrast, motion blur, general color accuracy, etc. are far more important make-or-break features in a TV.
4:4:4 is a luxury that also happens to be dependent on quality hardware and cables. It is only essential for people who use their TVs as large PC monitors for productivity.

ShutterMunster

4:4:4 literally does not matter unless you're using it as a monitor.

Majority of the content you'd use on that screen, outside of a PC environment, isn't built for that spec anyway.

newsguy

My KS8000 comes in next week. What this thread has helped me realize is that I'm never putting it in PC mode. If it is 22ms at 422 I can't see myself ever going to 37ms for the minor benefit 444 provides.

pottuvoi

Banned
4:4:4 literally does not matter unless you're using it as a monitor.

Majority of the content you'd use on that screen, outside of a PC environment, isn't built for that spec anyway.
This.

Especially as none of the movie content is distributed in 4:4:4.
Also at 4k the color information would be at 1080p, which is quite decent.

For 1080p tv 4:4:4 is quite important due the resolution.

Tadie

So should I use Full RGB or 4:4:4 with my 4K TV?

And I had a bad experience with SW2 HDR and BT2020. The picture was really really red. I had manually turn the color to Adobe RGB on the TV.

longdi

Banned
Display specs are confusing as shit.

There is also rgb,bgr and rgbw panel standards which also affects text clarity.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
How do you even tell? I just got a TV and spec sheets don't even talk about this.

Look your TV model up at a site like rtings.com, they should list the supported chroma types in the "Supported Resolutions" section of their reviews.

Sarcasm

Wow my TV sucks in regards to MS response times lol

1080p @ 60Hz Show Help : 20.4 ms
1080p With Interpolation Show Help : 137.3 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode Show Help : 139.4 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Show Help : 35.3 ms
4k @ 60Hz Show Help : 20.5 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Show Help : 37.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR Show Help : 136.9 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR Show Help : 137.2 ms

1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Show Help : Yes
1080p @ 120Hz Show Help : No