• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is Divinity Original Sin on PS4?

Z..

Saw another game I wanted in the buy 2 for 30€ sale and was contemplating getting this as the second game.
I've been playing Diablo on PC since 1997 and was extremely impressed with how much better the game felt using a gamepad when I tried the PS4 version, to the point where Immediately went and bought D3 again and replayed the whole thing, devoting much more time to it than I had years before on PC. Direct control is infinitely superior and I'm quite pissed at the fact they won't allow us to use such input method on PC.

Is DOS a similar case of the controls actually improving the game substantially?
If not, is the PS4 version still a contender for best version regardless? I won't be double dipping on PC if that is the case, but if not I'll just choose some other game and play DOS on PC down the road some day.

Direct control is infinitely superior and I'm quite pissed at the fact they won't allow us to use such input method on PC.

Its so superior they had to redesign every gameplay element in the game and introduce the roll mechanic to help the inferior direct control method. Its not better.

Is DOS a similar case of the controls actually improving the game substantially?
If not, is the PS4 version still a contender for best version regardless? I won't be double dipping on PC if that is the case, but if not I'll just choose some other game and play DOS on PC down the road some day.

No. Its not the case with Diablo 3 and most definitely not the case with Original Sin.

Z..

Its so superior they had to redesign every gameplay element in the game and introduce the roll mechanic to help the inferior direct control method. Its not better.

No. Its not the case with Diablo 3 and most definitely not the case with Original Sin.

PC gamer all my life and I completely and wholeheartedly disagree regarding D3. The roll mechanic makes the game feel much more alive and kinetic and it most definitely is better from my personal experience. I enjoyed the game so much more it's not even funny. I'm anxiously waiting for someone to attempt doing the same for D2. Just for reference, D2 is one of my fav games ever and one which I've been playing since a child, so I'm completely comfortable with KB+M and I still preffer gamepad controls by a gigantic margin.

PC gamer all my life and I completely and wholeheartedly disagree regarding D3. The roll mechanic makes the game feel much more alive and kinetic and it most definitely is better from my personal experience. I enjoyed the game so much more it's not even funny. I'm anxiously waiting for someone to attempt doing the same for D2. Just for reference, D2 is one of my fav games ever and one which I've been playing since a child, so I'm completely comfortable with KB+M and I still preffer gamepad controls by a gigantic margin.

Its not about disagreeing. Blizzard themselves said in numerous articles over the years the amount of stuff they had to do in order for the game to feel and play good on controllers.

I understand you enjoy the feel of the game with a pad, but a game where you have to nerf almost everything, introduce new mechanincs with a crutch function and use autoaim does not constitute "infinitely superior". These are all implementations because controllers are so shit. The reason there isnt a controller suport in Diablo 3 and never will in Diablo 2 is just that - the game is redesigned to a point where its not the same game on PC vs consoles. Its a game with different mechanics, different working abilities, different working AI for monsters.

What exactly are you trying with your post?

You'll have to be more specific about the troubles you're having comprehending such a simple post. I was replying to a post asking a question on a forum.

Great game - i only played it on ps4 and it was a phenomenal experience imo. Lots of value and a unique gameplay/genre that is rare to find on consoles

Personally i think the ps4 controls were great, havent played with m&k but i cant see it making too big of a difference other than maybe a more sentive cursor speed/control for item management

Cant go wrong with either platform you buy on though. Just a matter of where you want to play it.

All that matters is you buy the game somewhere.

Z..

Its not about disagreeing. Blizzard themselves said in numerous articles over the years the amount of stuff they had to do in order for the game to feel and play good on controllers.

I understand you enjoy the feel of the game with a pad, but a game where you have to nerf almost everything, introduce new mechanincs with a crutch function and use autoaim does not constitute "infinitely superior". These are all implementations because controllers are so shit. The reason there isnt a controller suport in Diablo 3 and never will in Diablo 2 is just that - the game is redesigned to a point where its not the same game on PC vs consoles. Its a game with different mechanics, different working abilities, different working AI for monsters.

Of course it had to be different, that's what I want to happen with D2. Different does not equate to bad, by the way. It's a different game, yes... and a better one, too, in my personal opinion. In any third person game where you're controlling only one character and movement is more important than aiming, I'll always prefer a controller precisely because of how much I value direct control over precision. Example, Splinter Cell was a turning point regarding playing shooting games on controllers for me because while playing with KB+M meant that I had much more precise control over my movements due to the movement speed being tied to the wheel, I felt the game benefited tremendously from being played with a controller due to the much more immersive and direct experience it provided. For my preferences, that made it infinitely superior, despite the higher degree of control provided by playing the same game on M+Kb.
In other words, there is no objective superiority war to be won here, it is an inherently subjective matter because it is defined solely by one's priorities.
I'll always prefer KB+M for RTS games, competitive shooters, adventure games and old CRPGs and controllers for everything else.

You "controllers are so shit" statement has painted a clear picture of what is going on here, though. For reference, I used to be like you as a teenager.

Just out of curiosity, would you happen to be one of those people who play Dark Souls using Kb+M?

Valdega

Eh, it's pretty easy to argue that D:OS is better with MKB. The speed and precision of the mouse + the wide array of hotkeys provided by the keyboard make it much easier to get things done quickly. You can access and use menus more quickly, manage your inventory more quickly, manage your party more quickly and interact with the environment more quickly.

That said, it's entirely possible to recognize that something is objectively superior while subjectively preferring the inferior alternative. Most console gamers realize that PC gaming is objectively superior but they don't care because they prefer the "feel" of console gaming. You prefer the feel of gamepad control over the increased speed and efficiency of M+KB, which is fine, but it's important to avoid calling it superior when it is objectively not.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Diablo 3 console poops on diablo 3 pc.

I own both versions with all expansions.
Both of em about 500 hours each.

Didnt like divinity imo

Diablo 3 console poops on diablo 3 pc.

I own both versions with all expansions.
Both of em about 500 hours each.

Didnt like divinity imo

lol

No

Not even close

D3 on PC is the definitive experience. D3 on PC is

BEAST
E
A
S
T

Not even an opinion. A fact.

You’re wrong. Again

Rick1o1

I've played both on pc and ps4. Mouse is obviously more precise but they did a good job on ps4. It works pretty well with the thumbsticks. And it's a turn based game anyway, you don't need to be super precise and fast. You can just take your time. They've also increased the text size on console so it's readable on a tv wich is great. Wasteland 2 for example didn't have this and it was unplayable for me on console because I couldn't read the text. Divinity doesn't have this issue on ps4.

I've actually played this more on console because it was more relaxing to lay on my couch than sit in front of my desk when playing longer sessions. But you can't go wrong with either imo.

I'm interested in this as well. Console controls in Diablo 3 significantly improved the game, so it'd be good to know whether gamepad controls work well in D OS as well. That one has been sitting on my "to buy" list for too long.

Redshirt

Banned
D:OS is a turn-based game. It's fine on console, but of course PC is superior just through sheer efficiency.

D3 PC and console are very different experiences. You're not going to find that kind of contrast with D:OS.

Console controls in Diablo 3 significantly improved the game.

Even people who feel this way have to realize it's not an apt comparison. The control schemes aren't similar.

Top Bottom