• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is there no big Advance Wars rip-off?

Chariot

Other games get ripped off without trouble, but somehow there is a distinct lack of Advance Wars clones. The next best thing is Strategery 2012, a parody game where you fight as Romney for the republican candidacy and then later the presidental battle.

c3RKAWn.png

Other than that there are of course generally turn based strategy games, but none quite like Advance Wars.
Is it really so difficult to make a working copy of the game? Was it selling too bad to be ripped-off?

There are some but, none that I can think of that are all that great. Highly disappointed that there isn't one on the 3DS yet. Its one of my favorite franchises.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, the series died because it did horribly in Japan and then a few entries later it dried up in the West as well, so your final guess would most likely be correct.

Akai__

Well, the series died because it did horribly in Japan and then a few entries later it dried up in the West as well, so your final guess would most likely be correct.

I want a new one so bad. Needs to go back to comic style, too. :(

how bad is bad? I'm pretty sure they made around 10+ games and to make that many the series had to be somewhat successful at least

Love the series. Mainly I played both DS games. The first Dual Strike is one of my all-time most-played games. I would love to see a clone on the Vita. I've always wondered why one hasn't been made.

Snakeyes

Advance Wars is one of the few Nintendo IPs I wouldn't mind seeing go to mobile, as long as it's based off a fair business model.

Knurek

Other than that there are of course generally turn based strategy games, but none quite like Advance Wars.
Is it really so difficult to make a working copy of the game? Was it selling too bad to be ripped-off?

Well, there's always Unity of Command if you want something harder:
ss_d0f59eb703506b0f01ddc3a5860203c74ff71ae3.1920x1080.jpg

Also Battle Worlds: Kronos, though that's more of a Battle Isle rip-off
ss_4e274915f410c64c3943f9079ed3dd3aec266475.1920x1080.jpg

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
There was something on iOS that was a shameless (but cool) AW clone. I can't remember the name!

Jawmuncher

A new Advanced Wars with relationships ala FE:Awakening would have brought the series back. Still amazed they thought Code Name Steam was a "good" idea.

Their is an iOS and PC game called Mecho Wars which is pretty much a standard rip of Advanced Wars. Although graphics wise it is done by the same artist who did Eternity's Child (same world too I believe) so it is a very abstract looking game. I've heard fairly positive things about it although I didn't play much beyond the first few maps myself, seemed fairly competent though.

Chariot

I've been really looking forward to the soon to be released iOS game Warbits:
Looks really nice. Sadly I don't own a ios device and don't plan to get one. :(

Just to back up why the Advance Wars franchise is unlikely to return: Not a single million seller.
And even the niche audience does not seem that big, because as the responses so far have shown, there aren't many similar games.
For me personally, it's too difficult to enjoy.
Ouch. That hurts. Should've bring a clone to PC where the strategy crowd is sitting or adapt old games to android/ios.

I've mentioned it a couple times on GAF, but Great Big War Game is an excellent Advance Wars ripoff for Android/iOS.
I often took a look at this one, but it's just very ugly.

Doczu

Just to back up why the Advance Wars franchise is unlikely to return: Not a single million seller.
And even the niche audience does not seem that big, because as the responses so far have shown, there aren't many similar games.

Not every game has to be a million seller to be succesfull. Advance Wars is one of them. It's the type of a game that you make only to satisfy the fanbase of that single title/game type.

I've mentioned it a couple times on GAF, but Great Big War Game is an excellent Advance Wars ripoff for Android/iOS.
It's a rather mediocre turn based game. It's slow, with an awfull art style, retard ai and boring missions.
A better clone is UniWar. Fast, difficult and with a nice, 2d artstyle, that renders the game responsive, playable on many devices and with a good multiplayer lobby with a living community. It's my fix in the last year.

Future Wars. It even copies the APC targeting priority* though that might be the AI being total ass. Is future Wars any good? No from a technical, interface and plot standpoint. It is on Steam at 75% off right now if you want to try but don't say I didn't warn you.

I suppose there was Military Madness/Nectaris (though it has hexagon grids) but that is Hudson so held prisoner by Komani. I found it funny Hudson not only had a Wars imitator but made the GB Wars series for Nintendo. I suppose Nintendo saw that Nectaris was good.

*-In the first Advance Wars game the AI over prioritized APCs to the extent you could have an infintry about to capture their HQ but if an APC was next to that unit the APC got targeted instead.

advance wars +visual novel elements/waifus = sales
It is decided. Kanbei shall deploy a mountain of troops using Sonja.
No not using her like that you creeps

A new Advanced Wars with relationships ala FE:Awakening would have brought the series back. Still amazed they thought Code Name Steam was a "good" idea.
I don't mind the relationship stuff except the fact it would mean less in AW as other units do the fighting. It's a good idea though.

And yeah not sure what was up with Codenamed STEAM.

Might have try some of these on PC though I guess. Shame, I really like AW. It's one of the few franchises (at least Game Boy onward) that I like all the games in the series as much as I do.

Nintendo's "wars" series actually started on the famicom.
In fact. These two titles released only a few months apart

Correct.

I don't know a lot about their development, but I can say that Famicom Wars released in August of 88' while Desert Commander released in April of 88' so I see Desert Commander as the true original.

KevinCow

Banned
Chroma Squad is a grid-based turn-based strategy game. It's probably not similar enough to be considered a ripoff, but it might be pretty fun if you like that kind of thing.

Also, I haven't played it, but isn't XCOM kinda similar?

Terrell

I think the both of you are slightly misrepresenting this series' sordid and unfortunate history that has led to this situation, so I should likely give a breakdown of the situation for those who aren't familiar with things.

Famicom Wars for the original Famicom and the original Game Boy Wars for the Game Boy have been the only retail releases in Japan that didn't appear plagued with problems or suffering from peculiar releases and just generally has had a really REALLY bad go of it in Japan.

After Game Boy Wars in 1991, the Game Boy Wars part of this series was actually licensed to Hudson Soft for development and publishing and the series took a dive in interest along with it. The 3rd of these titles from Hudson Soft was released in Japan the same year as Advance Wars in North America.

Super Famicom Wars, the pseudo-remake (ala Star Fox Zero) to the original Famicom Wars, was released on the Super Famicom in 1998. Yeah, you see that year correct, it was released 3 years after the release of the PlayStation.
Worse yet, it did not have a proper retail release, but was part of a special retailer setup where you could buy a blank Super Famicom cartridge, which could be loaded at kiosks with multiple games. Super Famicom Wars was one of them (making sales figures all but impossible to even obtain) but unlike the rest of the games, in order to have it, it took ALL the space available on the blank cartridge, whereas the other games were small enough that you could have more than one.
These cartridges with Super Famicom Wars on them have become one of the biggest collector's items in gaming. Like, rarer than an SNES copy of Ogre Battle or Earthbound.

Advance Wars, originally set to release for the Game Boy Advance in the same year as in North America, was pulled from its original release date due to the 9/11 terrorist attacks (as Japan is prone to removing entertainment from consumption if it contains imagery it considered disrespectful to a tragedy).
It and its sequel were not even released in Japan until after they had both been released in North America as a compilation cartridge in 2004, but given that the franchise had been so off the radar for retailers for more than 10 years and Nintendo passing the Game Boy Wars series to Hudson did the franchise no favors, hopes weren't high, retailers bought very little stock and it was barely promoted.

Famicom Wars DS (AW:DS) met a similar fate. No retailer confidence, and even Nintendo had given up trying to sell the series in Japan.

And then the visual, tonal and gameplay changes that occurred after that basically tanked interest in the franchise in the West, as well.

So just saying "oh yeah, it doesn't sell well" isn't really telling the whole story. Anything that could have gone wrong with this series DID go wrong with this series.

Neither was Fire Emblem until the 3DS version.

And this is a fair point. I think with IntSys being able to turn Fire Emblem around, Nintendo might give them a shot to do the same with the Wars series.

Datschge

Well, the series died because it did horribly in Japan
The first two entries, the ones that warranted the *Advance* Wars name, were only released combined much later in Japan. They apparently considered it a Western oriented series or something like that.

GSR

There was a big PC port/expansion of the AW games back in 2007-2009 or so called Custom Wars, and it got pretty far, but for a variety of reasons the project fell apart.

Scum

The series will be revived as part of NCL's mobile initiative. Believe!

Chariot

Chroma Squad is a grid-based turn-based strategy game. It's probably not similar enough to be considered a ripoff, but it might be pretty fun if you like that kind of thing.

Also, I haven't played it, but isn't XCOM kinda similar?
No to both, they are all turnbased-strategy games in a way, but absolutely different in most key aspects. It's like recommending Borderlands to someone who asked for Assassins Creed because both are realtime and action based.
You mean something like this?

0GOB2vD.jpg
Yes. May you give a name to that screenshot?

well, I'm happy to report that the waifus are already in the game
just add dating sim gameplay elements and lewd dialogue and you got another million-seller, Nintendo
I am indifferent about the dating sim gameplay, doesn't ruin a game for me if it's there or not or if it's bad or not.

Just don't water down the gameplay and we are cool.

Top Bottom