• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Manufacturers Can Fix Joystick Drift - Permanently!

8BiTw0LF

Banned
It's been a topic for 50 years. Since the Atari 2600, people have had issues with drifting - finally there's a solution, but it's not as cheap as the potentiometer solution we've got in controllers today and that's probably why we won't see Hall Effect sensors in mainstream controllers any time soon.

But let's be honest - if a "pro" controller priced at ~$100 (and above) isn't in the spectrum of controllers getting Hall Effect sensors, something is terribly wrong with the manufacturers of todays controllers.

Timestamped to get right to the point:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
After Sony's new controller tomorrow all i can think about is how they gave us a problem and are now selling us a solution as well.
This isn't changing any time soon.
What is nice about the Dualsense Edge controller is that it has interchangeable modules for potentiometers - and any 3rd party can make a Hall Effect module. I'll bet in a month after release of the Edge we'll see some from China.

Rat Rage

But let's be honest - if a "pro" controller priced at ~$100 (and above) isn't in the spectrum of controllers getting Hall Effect sensors, something is terribly wrong with the manufacturers of todays controllers.

Because they are fucking greedy assholes. Don't get scammed by "pro" OR standard controllers if they don't have good technology in them.

Even the price tag on standard first party controllers is not justified. For what they offer, 50 or 70 bucks is already a rip-off. For that price you got long lasting, quality controllers in the past, so having first party controllers whose sticks are very prone to drift is absolutely unacceptable.

PS6, Switch 2 and Xbox Next better feature Hall Effect sensores, or they can fuck right off!

Last edited:

Larxia

I think there's something that kind of needs to be cleared, because I think a lot of people have some kind of confusion / misconception about stick drift.

There are two kinds of "stick drift". The most common one we keep hearing about all the time during this generation, on modern controller, is not the same as the one that existed before, at all, so it hasn't been an issue for "50 years".

- The first and older thing that people seem to call drift, is when the stick doesn't physically perfectly center itself back. If you move the stick and let it go back to the center, it will be slightly off center, which in most games might not be noticeable, but if the game has no or very small dead zone, the stick might be a little bit outside of the dead zone, and therefore will trigger unwanted analog input in the game.
This has existed since probably forever, but it's nowhere near as critical as the recent type of drift we get on modern controllers.

- The new type of stick drift is different, it's an electronic issue, the amount of how much the axis is pushed is not related to the physical position of the stick at all. The electronics get faulty and send wrong signals, and the signal that is sent to the game can be something as much as if the stick was pushed all the way into a direction, even if the stick itself, physically, is at the center. It's a lot more random and chaotic, and can't be fixed by adjusting dead zones, because the broken zone is way too large.
I have never seen, experienced or heard about this type of drift before recent years.

I think the two things should have specific names, be called differently, because they aren't the same and one isn't as problematic as the other one, and doesn't appear as quickly. The recent type of drift can happen after just a few weeks if you are not lucky, while the first older type was more likely to happen after a long time when the physical mecanics start to wore out.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Because they are fucking gready assholes. Don't get scammed by "pro" OR standard controllers if they don't have good technology in them.

Even the price tag on standard first party controllers is not justified. For what they offer, 50 or 70 bucks is already a rip-off. For that price you got long lasting, quality controllers in the past, so having first party controlles whose sticks are very prone to drift is absolutely unacceptable.

PS6, Switch 2 and Xbox Next better feature Hall Effect sensores, or they can fuck right off!
Din din din din din

00_Zer0

I am thinking about getting the Gulikit King Kong 2 Pro Controller for Switch, Android, and PC. I'm also considering getting the newly announced hall effect replacement sticks for my joy-con controllers.

Also an announcement link for the upcoming Hall effect sticks for Joy-Cons.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Just get rid of clickable sticks, easily the worst addition to controllers that we're stuck with. Surely that mechanic contributes to wearing down the internals on a lot of the recent failing controllers like the Switch, and it's a horrible idea anyway that is too easy to trigger accidentally so either way please kill it... so tired of suddenly crouching during a tense maneuver in Elden Ring just because you have to lightly touch your sticks now or they click.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

Poster above is right, this wasn't much of a problem before clickable thumbsticks, just bring back the Black and White buttons from the original Xbox controller and put them right beside the sticks and we'll be good.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I think there's something that kind of needs to be cleared, because I think a lot of people have some kind of confusion / misconception about stick drift.

There are two kinds of "stick drift". The most common one we keep hearing about all the time during this generation, on modern controller, is not the same as the one that existed before, at all, so it hasn't been an issue for "50 years".

- The first and older thing that people seem to call drift, is when the stick doesn't physically perfectly center itself back. If you move the stick and let it go back to the center, it will be slightly off center, which in most games might not be noticeable, but if the game has no or very small dead zone, the stick might be a little bit outside of the dead zone, and therefore will trigger unwanted analog input in the game.
This has existed since probably forever, but it's nowhere near as critical as the recent type of drift we get on modern controllers.

- The new type of stick drift is different, it's an electronic issue, the amount of how much the axis is pushed is not related to the physical position of the stick at all. The electronics get faulty and send wrong signals, and the signal that is sent to the game can be something as much as if the stick was pushed all the way into a direction, even if the stick itself, physically, is at the center. It's a lot more random and chaotic, and can't be fixed by adjusting dead zones, because the broken zone is way too large.
I have never seen, experienced or heard about this type of drift before recent years.

I think the two things should have specific names, be called differently, because they aren't the same and one isn't as problematic as the other one, and doesn't appear as quickly. The recent type of drift can happen after just a few weeks if you are not lucky, while the first older type was more likely to happen after a long time when the physical mecanics start to wore out.
Sure, drifting has been a topic for 50 years - although not the same, but the problem is essentially the same for the user - the solution isn't, but that's not the point.

Also no need for the wall of text when it can be explained in two sentences 😂

Larxia

Sure, drifting has been a topic for 50 years - although not the same, but the problem is essentially the same for the user - the solution isn't, but that's not the point.

Also no need for the wall of text when it can be explained in two sentences 😂
I don't think it can be explained in two sentences, it needed more context. And I really don't think it's the same, I've never been that bothered with the older type of drift, while it's been terrible for me with xbox series controller.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I don't think it can be explained in two sentences, it needed more context. And I really don't think it's the same, I've never been that bothered with the older type of drift, while it's been terrible for me with xbox series controller.
I'm also saying it's not the same.
One is digital - one is analog. Drifting on digital is one speed (full speed) in a direction - analog is variable.
Essentially the same problem for the user.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A particular issue with Nintendo Switch Joy-Cons is common enough that the gaming community has even given it a name - Joy-Con drift. A company called Gulikit claims to have the answer to the issue that has plagued many a Switch gamer since the console first launched back in 2017.

Gulikit has created replacement joysticks for affected Joy-Cons that use electromagnetic Hall sensors which it claims are not only far more durable than the original components, but also use less power and thus prolong the battery life of Joy-Cons. The main caveat here is that users will have to replace the component themselves using the provided tools to correct the issue, which is allegedly caused by an inherent design flaw in the Nintendo Switch.

switch-gulikit.jpg

Top Bottom