• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Got a Pro Controller Zelda TotK Edition with unplayable stick drift.

RCU005

I don’t get how Nintendo has gotten away with this. To me this is at a level of the RROD from Xbox.

Today I got the controller, it is really amazing and loved the design, but the first second I move the stick, Link just stayed waking all the time.

The bad part is that I imported it from Japan, so it’s going to be a hassle to replace it.

I had a Pro since launch and never had any issue. The home button stopped working though, so I don’t know why or what happened.

I had a little drift on the left joy-con from my launch Switch and never had any others.

I think it’s just that I’m disappointed because it’s a special edition. The thing that upsets me is that controllers used to work great, why are they making shit controllers now? (goes for Nintendo, Sony and Xbox).

Like if you think about it, SNES added two face buttons and two shoulder buttons, DualShock added vibration and two more shoulder buttons, and so on, but then suddenly more buttons and a better joysticks are part of PRO controllers that cost half or more the entire console?

I know everybody is talking about hall something joysticks, and I wouldn’t even be surprised if they make then part of a Pro edition just to fuck with everybody (whether PS6, Switch 2, or any version of current ones)

I just wanted to vent. Quality has gone to the trash for everything. It’s getting out of control. Wasn’t this the reason they invented ISO norms and stuff? Someone needs to regulate stuff again to guarantee quality again.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
First of all, I'm not trying to console warring here.
Theres a reason why i support a more expensive controller with easily replacable stick like the dualsense edge.

Companies like Sony, Micro and Nintendo is not going to make things easy for the consumer to replace their new items, at least we can still shell out some money to replace the stick if something gone wrong.

Imagine i bought a dualsense controller or a more expensive limited edition dualsense and got stick drift, its a pain in the ass to replace it.

Banned
it seems like Microsoft is the only one that still uses somewhat good sticks.

it's the only system I never had a drifting stick on.

Nintendo is by far the worst tho. the Pro controllers are about as susceptive to drift as PS4/5 controllers, but the joycons are just guaranteed drift after a few months of use.

I have a pair of yellow joycons that are barely used, and they got drift... it's crazy.

I don't use joycons at all anymore, they are the worst first party controllers ever made.
I'm using third party ones that have proper ergonomics and normal sized sticks...
NOT THE DOGSHIT HORINSPLID PAD THO! don't even think about getting those... fucking awful pieces of trash.

Last edited:

Lasha

You have options if the vendor fucks you.
The stick costs around a dollar. Any electronics guy will solder it in for a couple of bucks. Fencing clubs are a good place to ask because they are always soldering the scoring system. I would do it free if you were near me.

Tbh I would open the casing to see if it's authentic. I've come across pro controllers purchased "from Japan" which are actually china fakes. Compare the PCB to a reference online and contact Paypal/your credit card if it's fake. Cut and dry charge back.

Lasha

Theres a reason why i support a more expensive controller with easily replacable stick like the dualsense edge.

Companies like Sony, Micro and Nintendo is not going to make things easy for the consumer to replace their new items, at least we can still shell out some money to replace the stick if something gone wrong.

Imagine i bought a dualsense controller or a more expensive limited edition dualsense and got stick drift, its a pain in the ass to replace it.

The technology to prevent drift has been available for decades. If guilikit can release a customizable pro controller with hall effect sticks for less than an official pro controller then there is no excuse for $200 pro controllers.

lh032

The technology to prevent drift has been available for decades. If guilikit can release a customizable pro controller with hall effect sticks for less than an official pro controller then there is no excuse for $200 pro controllers.

you are right, but companies are not going to do that sadly, at least for now.
I believe the majority of the user still prefer the official 1st party controller.

Im still waiting for the guillikit analog module for Edge.

Lasha

I believe the majority of the user still prefer the official 1st party controller.

Yeah it's wild. The guilikit pro is better than the Nintendo in every way. Console manufacturers know their market.

bender

What time is it?
That sucks. I can't speak for Joy Cons as I never use them but I've been lucky with my Pro Controllers. I don't think I've seen stick drift since the X360 and those controllers always drifted on me after 1-3 months of usage.

Kataploom

Gold Member
If it was only Nintendo... All of the three use the same shitty component, it's now profitable for them, you can see on YouTube some comparisons of old PS2 controller stick vs PS4 or PS5 ones.. they should at least have an option to set manual deadzones

Quantum253

I don’t get how Nintendo has gotten away with this. To me this is at a level of the RROD from Xbox.

Today I got the controller, it is really amazing and loved the design, but the first second I move the stick, Link just stayed waking all the time.

The bad part is that I imported it from Japan, so it’s going to be a hassle to replace it.

I had a Pro since launch and never had any issue. The home button stopped working though, so I don’t know why or what happened.

I had a little drift on the left joy-con from my launch Switch and never had any others.

I think it’s just that I’m disappointed because it’s a special edition. The thing that upsets me is that controllers used to work great, why are they making shit controllers now? (goes for Nintendo, Sony and Xbox).

Like if you think about it, SNES added two face buttons and two shoulder buttons, DualShock added vibration and two more shoulder buttons, and so on, but then suddenly more buttons and a better joysticks are part of PRO controllers that cost half or more the entire console?

I know everybody is talking about hall something joysticks, and I wouldn’t even be surprised if they make then part of a Pro edition just to fuck with everybody (whether PS6, Switch 2, or any version of current ones)

I just wanted to vent. Quality has gone to the trash for everything. It’s getting out of control. Wasn’t this the reason they invented ISO norms and stuff? Someone needs to regulate stuff again to guarantee quality again.
That sounds really disappointing to deal with, especially with new hardware. Is it possible that debris/FOD got into the controller being that it shipped internationally? Still annoying to have to take it apart to try and clean thumbsticks out

it seems like Microsoft is the only one that still uses somewhat good sticks.

it's the only system I never had a drifting stick on.

Nintendo is by far the worst tho. the Pro controllers are about as susceptive to drift as PS4/5 controllers, but the joycons are just guaranteed drift after a few months of use.

I have a pair of yellow joycons that are barely used, and they got drift... it's crazy.

I don't use joycons at all anymore, they are the worst first party controllers ever made.
I'm using third party ones that have proper ergonomics and normal sized sticks...
NOT THE DOGSHIT HORINSPLID PAD THO! don't even think about getting those... fucking awful pieces of trash.
The only controllers I've had with drift are Xbox ones. Nothing on my PlayStation or switch controllers

drotahorror

8bitdo also has a controller with hall sensors that retails @ $70.

Even comes with a charging dock.

I have the cheaper $50 version with 2.4ghz wireless adapter (just use it for PC). It doesn't have the hall sensors but great controller nonetheless.

Last edited:

Tangerine

Does this help?

GenericUser

All of the 3 console makers do this on purpose. They deliberately make the controllers so, that they all develop stick drift after a certain time. They will continue to do this, because they get away with it. Even more, there are "people" that find it pro consumer of Sony to let them buy overpriced stick replacements for their 200 bucks "premium controller". Do you rember PS2 controllers or PS3 controllers to develop stick drift in this quantity? Think about it. They sell you trash products and you praise them for doing so. Disgusting.

Last edited:

Nydius

The only controllers I've had with drift are Xbox ones. Nothing on my PlayStation or switch controllers

I’ve, unfortunately, had the exact opposite experience.

None of my Series controllers have drift, not even the controller that came with the launch day Series X. But I’ve had to replace two joy-cons due to drift and my white bundled DualSense from my just one-year-old PS5 already has drift on the left stick. :(

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Man, so sorry to hear that you got a faulty controller.

I haven't opened mine yet but I'll have to give it a go now...I feel sadge for you.

ReBurn

Gold Member
All of the 3 console makers do this on purpose. They deliberately make the controllers so, that they all develop stick drift after a certain time. They will continue to do this, because they get away with it. Even more, there are "people" that find it pro consumer of Sony to let them buy overpriced stick replacements for their 200 bucks "premium controller". Do you rember PS2 controllers or PS3 controllers to develop stick drift in this quantity? Think about it. They sell you trash products and you praise them for doing so. Disgusting.
Monetizing stick drift on a premium controller by selling you new sticks for $20 each is just the most corporate thing. Especially when they could have used sticks with Hall effect sensors in these premium devices. With the prices Microsoft and Sony are charging for these premium controllers they should come with a warranty longer than a year, anyway.

That said, yes I do remember PS2, PS3 and Xbox 360 sticks drifting. I went through multiple controllers due to wonky thumbsticks back then and those controllers only had 90 day warranties. It would have been nice to be able to just pop in new sticks instead of having to replace controllers.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Nintendo's hardware quality has been terrible this generation. My original Switch joycon got severe drift, and yesterday I bought a brand new Switch OLED where the analog sticks feel really loose (or rather they wiggle very noticeably in the center position).

I've never had stick drift on any other controller I've ever owned (I have had some other issues with a few though).

Last edited:

PC Gamer

Has enormous collection of anime/manga. Cosplays as waifu.
original_nintendo_seajwcpi.png

Banjo64

cumsessed

You should just buy the 8bitdo with Hall effect sticks. You supporting Sony and the Edge is still supporting an anti consumer model. They’re selling you a product that they know will be faulty in time, at a cost of £200, but don’t worry, when it breaks you can spend £20 per stick module.

lh032

You should just buy the 8bitdo with Hall effect sticks. You supporting Sony and the Edge is still supporting an anti consumer model. They’re selling you a product that they know will be faulty in time, at a cost of £200, but don’t worry, when it breaks you can spend £20 per stick module.
i game on playstation platform, its not that i got a choice lol? thats the best choice i have...

im pretty sure guillilit or any third party brand is going to release a hall effect stick module in the near future.

Banjo64

cumsessed
i game on playstation platform, its not that i got a choice lol? thats the best choice i have...

im pretty sure guillilit or any third party brand is going to release a hall effect stick module in the near future.
I thought there was some dongles that allow PS compatibility but I think you’re right in that you can’t (unless anyone else knows better).

Drizzlehell

Banned
This is kinda annoying in itself because if those bastards put a little more budget towards creating better parts instead of a rickety POS that breaks within 6 months then there wouldn't be a need for a super-expensive controller that allows you to replace those parts. It's like they're trying to solve a problem that they themselves created by making us pay for a controller 3x the price of a normal one.

the-nerve-bill-burr.gif

Last edited:

BlackTron

I see how this means they make more money overall but it took a lot of business away from me. In the past I was really anal about having a full set of official controllers on deck. Now it's just have one nice official/pro controller and then spam third party and used ones because they're all equally disposable now be it $20 or $80 (I'm talking all platforms here). Most people I would ever actually care about having a 1:1 match with no controller handicaps will have their own anyway.

When you know what they are doing, it takes away the fanboy-like driven pride to have a full set. LOL I remember buying a second controller for N64 when I only had one single player game and feeling good about it :messenger_sunglasses:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Another reason you should have supported Sega, they brought one of the first analog sticks of the 32bit generation, before the Dual Analog/Dual Shock, and what to them was just a practical, efficient way to bring analog controls to home consoles at the time is now, so many years later, only seen in premium products you pay out the wazoo for, as they used magnets and hall effect sensors for the Saturn 3D Control Pad and the Dreamcast's sticks (and their analog triggers as well). No potentiometers to get worn out by playing there (though industrial grade potentiometers last for ages too, companies just use cheap crap for controllers).

SCB3

Thanks, I tried that but didn’t work. Somehow it worsens it. The drift is when I push up, but after “recalibrating” it happens when I push down too.
My Pro controller has the exact same issue but in reverse, its drifting down slightly, TotK's controls are a bit too sensitive for it

I mean, it happens. Any controller can get stickdrift.

The Joycons were especially bad and clearly design flawed. But, I don't think the same is true for their Pro controllers.

nemiroff

Gold Member

AFAIK, they all use the exact same core shelf components for the potensiometers. Luck, pattern and hours used are the main factors for why anecdotal evidence differs (to be fair there are others factors that makes a slight difference, but point remains).

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nintendo joy sticks are all time duds they’re lost when it comes to hardware and controllers we saw how terrible the n64 joysticks are, GameCube is a crazy design, Nintendo Wii only had 1 joystick and was discombobulated, nobody bought into the Wii U, and switch feels underpowered since day 1.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I just replaced both my switch sticks by Nintendo free of charge 6 years after i bought the switch at launch.

Nintendo knows there is an issue and they are willing to eat the cost because this must be something they cant avoid.

BlackTron

Now that I think of it. Last week my Wii U pro controller got "drift" for the first time because the stick was touched while it was connected. The same way N64 would "drift" if you plugged it in while the stick was moved, because that spot would be calibrated to center. I fixed it just by reconnecting the thing.

I don't know if that's still a thing on Switch but if it even happened on a U pro controller, might want to be mindful of this. I know some people fixed theirs by re-calibrating. Maybe it no longer resets on its own after every connect but still needs a calibration?

Last edited:
I've noticed if a controller connects with it's stick tilted I will have issues. Another issue is that when an improper wireless connection is made the joycon will have issues staying connected and you need to slide it back on the console. I wonder if people are confusing stick drift with poor connections.

Banned

you live in the evil mirror universe then it seems.
I can literally set my clock to PS4/5 controllers developing drift.

meanwhile my launch Series X controller works just fine even tho I used it way more than my launch Dualsense... I'm on my 3rd Dualsense now 🙃 although my second one isn't unusable, but it has a slight drift on the left stick that can crop up from time to time, as well as a dead angle (something also extremely common on Sony controllers)

I usually have at least 4 controllers for a system ready for multiplayer n stuff, and of the 4 PS4 controllers I had, 0 survived more than a year of use, so I now have 5 DS4 controllers, 1 of which is drift free and relatively recent, and the other 4 have drift on the left stick, 3 of those have a dead angle on the left stick on top of that.

Banned
In your dreams.

no, in my years of playing with Xbox controllers, Sony controllers and Nintendo controllers, the Xbox controllers simply are the only ones that never developed drift issues 🤷 meanwhile I have a graveyard of PS4 and PS5 controllers

also afaik Microsoft is the only company of the 3 console manufacturers that uses a different model for their stick mechanism, while Dualshock 4/Dualsense and Switch Pro controllers use the same model, or at least a model from the same manufacturer.

Last edited:

GHG

no, in my years of playing with Xbox controllers, Sony controllers and Nintendo controllers, the Xbox controllers simply are the only ones that never developed drift issues 🤷 meanwhile I have a graveyard of PS4 and PS5 controllers

also afaik Microsoft is literally the only company of the 3 console manufacturers that uses a different model for their stick mechanism, while Dualshock 4/Dualsense and Switch Pro controllers use the same model, or at least a model from the same manufacturer.

But of course. I wouldn't expect anything less. This must be imaginary then:

The only problem you have is the fact that all of these controllers use identical mechanisms for the sticks (potentiometers) and the reality is that there's no way around stick drift unless a different type of mechanism is used.

Maybe treat your playstation and nintendo controllers like you do your Xbox ones and you'll see a similar rate of failure.

Last edited:

Banned
But of course. I wouldn't expect anything less. This must be imaginary then:

The only problem you have is the fact that all of these controllers use identical mechanisms for the sticks (potentiometers) and the reality is that there's no way around stick drift unless a different type of mechanism is used.

Maybe treat your playstation and nintendo controllers like you do your Xbox ones and you'll see a similar rate if failure.

I treat my Xbox controllers way worse technically speaking, because I play a lot of Fortnite on Xbox, and Fortnite should be a stick killer since I am constantly clicking the left stick while pushing it forward to do the fast sprint+slide to traverse faster....and I have crouch/slide on the right stick.

so basically me playing Fortnite almost daily means constantly fast stick movements + constant repeated stick clicks while moving them. that should in theory be the worst case scenario for any stick mechanism, yet zero drift on my launch day controller.

and while all of them use the same type of stick, different models can absolutely have different lifespans.
if the materials flake less easily on one manufacturer's stick, while they flake easier on the other's, then you have 2 of the same basic stick designs, but one will last longer.

just like one pair of jeans can be lower quality than another pair of jeans simply due to how they are being manufactured and how much material they use.

Last edited:

GHG

I treat my Xbox controllers way worse technically speaking, because I play a lot of Fortnite on Xbox, and Fortnite should be a stick killer since I am constantly clicking the left stick while pushing it forward to do the fast sprint+slide to traverse faster....and I have crouch/slide on the right stick.

so basically me playing Fortnite almost daily means constantly fast stick movements + constant repeated stick clicks while moving them. that should in theory be the worst case scenario for any stick mechanism, yet zero drift on my launch day controller.

and while all of them use the same type of stick, different models can absolutely have different lifespans.
if the materials flake less easily on one manufacturer's stick, while they flake easier on the other's, then you have 2 of the same basic stick designs, but one will last longer.

just like one pair of jeans can be lower quality than another pair of jeans simply due to how they are being manufactured and how much material they use.

Look, unless you're willing to bring some scientific evidence to the table that shows the potentiometer mechanisms in the Xbox controllers are somehow superior to those used in other controllers then this is a worthless discussion as is your claim that the Xbox controllers are superior to others in this regard.

We've all been gaming long enough to have anecdotal stories about controllers from all of these manufacturers suffering from stick drift.

Top Bottom