• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many people do you know only buys sports and racing games for their consoles?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I was thinking about this earlier. Since high school I have, off the top of my head, five friends who get a new PlayStation or Xbox and then proceed to only buy the annual Madden, FIFA, NHL, and whatever the prevailing baseball and driving games are. And that's literally it. Their shelves are full of the annual releases of each of those titles, and literally nothing else.

How common is this trend? Is this just some weird, extreme coincidence amongst my circle of friends, or is this kind of gamer more common than I realize?

Kuranghi

My dream spinach merchant only buys the new Playstation once GT is out and thats all he plays afaik. He literally told me that the other day and was asking if there was new footage of it.

Raven117

A ton of folks. Any college dorm is going to be filled with bros playing madden. (And ncaa back in the day…. And soon to be again).

ReBurn

Gold Member
I have friends who only play sports games online. I also have friends who only play the annual FPS expansions/sequels. People like what they like I guess.

Last edited:
I think it's quite common, but not among the kind of person who posts on videogame discussion forums.

That kind of game is going to meet the needs of time-poor adults quite well. I'm lucky in that I have plenty of gaming time, but if I only had half an hour or so two or three times a week, I probably won't be picking up Assassin's Creed Odyssey or any other marathon action RPG, and not something that I'll have forgotten the controls to since my last play.

WoJ

In my 20s I only played sports games. I'd pick up NCAA every year and the occasional Madden and that was it. When I first got an Xbox 360 I was interested in picking up a few things here and there, but the first game I bought for the console (and poured hundreds of hours into) was NCAA Football 10.

Then I played the first Mass Effect and it changed my life on what games could be. I still pick up some sports games - I love MLB The Show - but play pretty much everything now.

Vagswarm

I knew one person who literally only played the same version of Madden for years, even when others came out after. He played it on easy and thought it was fun to completely dominate the opponent (70+ to 0), only to cry whenever they scored. No surprise he was a bully and a douche.

Some people would generally play 1 sport game and/or 1 shooter. My ex co-workers would play NHL and Battlefield. The place prior to that was Call of Duty.

Update: another place I worked at for a short time had a few college kids who were heavy into Fortnite and nothing else.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

I used to see quite a few sports only gamers back in the day, but it seems to be less and less with each passing year. Sports games are still popular, but they don't seem quite at dominant as they used to be.

lachesis

I got married near the end of the PS2 era - which meant a dramatic downturn in gaming time.
I used to have guys night out every month, and those nights - me and bunch of friends would form a off-line league and play Winning Eleven tournaments & winner got the jackpot of the night. (Usually up to 200 bucks, as we all pitched in 20 bucks each - and there were about 10 guys.)

During that time, only games that I bought was JPN version of winning elevens and it's semi-annual updates.... (Final edition, or world cup editions etc).
When PS3 came out though - we all went our own ways. More guys got married, and some moved away etc - so the league just dissolved. We still meet up once in a while and play a few games, but as we are getting old, we get tired after a few games. LOL...

Vaelka

I mean literally only?
None.

But I'd probably say two because the only other games they've played have been games like Counter Strike and Half Life very casually and rarely.
Other than that only sports games.

laynelane

None. I do know a few people who pick up hockey games which is understandable (hockey is really popular here). Other than that, I don't even see people playing them on my friend list.

i say most of the scalpers for these next gen systems are the people you just described buying a $500 to play bunk and broken sports games and cod Hot take cod and sports games could be released on the ps2 till this day without any trouble.

Bartski

Gold Member
yeah I know a guy. Been gaming since 90's, buys a console every gen and plays only FIFA and perhaps PES, obviously new one every year. Literally the SAME GAME for 20+ years.

He's also an oldschool hip-hop legend so I guess that goes well with life on a tour bus, now domesticated in his late 40s with kids but some things never change.

I'd love to see people of this kind start posting on gaf, it's always interesting to see the perspective of someone from a totally different gaming planet, like some Fortnite fans around here ;)

Mr Hyde

I know a couple of people who only buy Fifa and NHL. Sometimes they maybe mix it up with the odd Assassin's Creed, GTA or CoD. Nothing else. I will never understand it but whatever works for you.

Shut0wen

I was thinking about this earlier. Since high school I have, off the top of my head, five friends who get a new PlayStation or Xbox and then proceed to only buy the annual Madden, FIFA, NHL, and whatever the prevailing baseball and driving games are. And that's literally it. Their shelves are full of the annual releases of each of those titles, and literally nothing else.

How common is this trend? Is this just some weird, extreme coincidence amongst my circle of friends, or is this kind of gamer more common than I realize?
Why dad plays nothing but car games, has a ps5 boxed because of gt7 hasnt came out lmao

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Literally all my IRL friends who have PS5s (okay cept one but hes as much a gamer as i am).

They buy them early at inflated prices to play FIFA every year, COD every year and Need for Speed whenever it releases.
None of them have even started up Astros.
I asked them why did you early adopt what was the rush if you werent even going to play any nextgen titles.
Its the clout man....its the clout.

I actually feel bad for their PS5s and for anyone out there actively hunting a PS5 to play nextgen titles.

Whats worse......whats worse, they all still end up booting their PS4s more often than NOT to play Ultimate team....im so confused.

SweetShark

In all years of my youth I remember my brother and nearly all his friends playing nonstop Pro Evolution Soccer like madmen. I don't know if the sports game are the same popular like before.

Dr. Suchong

I worked at Gamestation and loads of customers who traded in their consoles had depressing collections of nothing but FIFA, PGA, and other sports titles.
Depressing to me anyway. Each to their own naturally.

Dr. Suchong

Literally all my IRL friends who have PS5s (okay cept one but hes as much a gamer as i am).

They buy them early at inflated prices to play FIFA every year, COD every year and Need for Speed whenever it releases.
None of them have even started up Astros.
I asked them why did you early adopt what was the rush if you werent even going to play any nextgen titles.
Its the clout man....its the clout.

I actually feel bad for their PS5s and for anyone out there actively hunting a PS5 to play nextgen titles.

Whats worse......whats worse, they all still end up booting their PS4s more often than NOT to play Ultimate team....im so confused.
Not playing Astro should be a crime.
That game was such a joyful experience for me, I loved every second of it 👍

ZywyPL

Banned
Not a single one. Almost everyone I know plays Fifa on a daily basis, but that's not the only game they play, there are tons of other genres like shooters, adventure games etc. they play in between their regular Fifa matches.

Artistic

Anywhere from 5-10. They might venture out a bit with maybe 1-2 other pickups a year. But always religiously buy 2K or FIFA yearly.

Fbh

Yeah I know a few that only play Fifa and maybe football manager.

I must admit I'm slightly salty about one of them who has Ps5 that he literally only uses for Fifa and Netflix.

Tschumi

To be honest, as a lifelong pc gamer who recently decided to go more console... I've been without my console for a bit and I've downloaded pc versions of horizon, dishonored 2 and cyberpunk and i prefer each of them so much I'm thinking of only buying console exclusives or racing/sports games for console.. also flight sims

Last edited:

Paasei

Too many that it's embarrassing that I don't have PS5 yet and they do. Only using it for fifa and Warzone.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
More like 1 sports game and either COD or Battlefield annually, but I know a dozen of them.

Top Bottom