• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many times has your pre-release hype been met or exceeded by a game at launch?

Zannegan

The original Smash Bros was everything I wanted and more. After that...
Devil May Cry 3
Spiderman 2
Mario Galaxy
Halo 3
Arkham Asylum
Infamous: Second Son
Breath of the Wild
Bloodborne

BigBooper

I haven't bought many games right at launch, but some that did were Interstate 76, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Red Dead Redemption, and Command and Conquer Remastered Collection.

TexMex

The Dreamcast launch. NFL2K and Sonic Adventure blew me away visually. Ready 2 Rumble, Hydro Thunder, House of the Dead, etc.

9/9/99 - we will never forget

Fredrik

Oblivion was my first The Elder Scrolls game and and one of my first open world games and it exceeded my expectations like nothing else. The feeling when exiting the dungeon at the start and realizing how much more there is to see and the level of detail the game has will never be surpassed I think. Best opening hour ever in gaming. ❤️

I fell in love with Assassin’s Creed Odyssey as well at the start. Seeing the sunny weather and running down to the shore to dive and then see the under water life and realizing that it’s a whole world under the water as well. Then came a whale and jumped out of the water. Yup. I’ll enjoy this.

Possibly not the best game for this thread since it took awhile, but No Man’s Sky has now smashed even my wildest expectations. It’s just an amazing achievement and the best comeback story in gaming I can think of. Nearly 500 hours played and it still feels like I’ve only scratched the surface.

Red Dead Redemption 2, Pillars 2 Deadfire and Hyper Light Drifter come immediately to mind. Recent era.

Older era, Ultima 7 and Baldurs Gate 2 Shadows Of Amn.

There's bound to be more but those stick out.

Plenty of hype for these that were met or in most cases exceeded for me.

McCheese

I remember being really impressed by the latest Sakura Wars on PS4, I thought it was some niche dating/mech sim from the bygone Saturn era, but then it turned out to be a big budget title developed by one of the main SEGA teams. Had like 10x the production values I was expecting. Shame it flopped hard, first and last western release I suspect.

nush

God damn they brought it back from the dead and stuck the landing.

605c800ba22b1318bf28f4f8027f7818.jpg

Top Bottom