• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much is a PS3 60GB worth & is there such thing as rare console hardware anymore?

No_Style

How much is a PlayStation 3 60GB worth nowadays? $200?

And is there such thing as rare console hardware anymore? I've seen rare special editions, but will we ever run into a PSX type of situation?

I don't think viable for console manufacturers to make something like the PSX and keep it extremely limited anymore.

Feel free to prove me wrong though!

test_account

XP-39C²
I just checked on Ebay.com and saw a few PS3 60GB bundles with like 5-10 games going for around $300 - $400.

As for rare consoles and PS3, it depends on how many 60GB models that will survive the test of time :)

No_Style

Alcoholikaust said:
upwards of 325 at least online. Ill sell you mine for 350- natch

I have one already. I was just wondering how much they go for. I'm thinking about selling mine because it's a power hungry beast & growing louder with time regardless of cleaning.

I also checked E-bay, but felt those prices were inflated by shipping costs.

ReBurn

Gold Member
With the reliability of early 60 GB models being questionable finding a working one over time will be increasingly difficult, but they won't be really valuable because of risk of failure.

Back when they were all solid state it was different. Now that they're also mechanical it's going to be difficult for them to be rare and valuable.

heyf00L

I kinda always wanted a Sega CDX. I never even knew they existed until a few years ago. They're pretty rare, but I guess it's too old to be considered in your question.

Anyway, I guess the GameCube broadband adapter is kinda rare.

Angry Fork

I still have my launch 20gb (got it as a present so I couldn't choose 60gb, obviously doesn't matter anyway it was a very expensive gift). I upgraded the hard drive a long time ago, still have the original 20gb one around though. I suspect those are the rarest since most bought the 60gb. I wonder how many did get the 20gb though.

sfedai0

Banned
I would jump all over the 60gig if I didnt experience first hand, the YLOD. AND it happened on a the MGS limited edition model. FML. Ive been wondering how much I could sell it for.

mclem

I would probably pick up a second PS3 if I could easily get hold of a US 60GB model with the full hardware backwards compatability. It's always been a point of some frustration to me that in Europe we never got the option of the best BC.

gnat_

One data point. I sold mine on craigslist for $300 about 2 months ago. Bare 60gb console with box, cables, and 1 six-axis controller (not dual shock).

Replaced it with a slim, because I was getting concerned that it kept freezing on me in Killzone. Was probably only a matter of time before it YLOD'ed.

I think rare consoles can still exist, but the 20gb and 60gb launch PS3's will not be the case. Think about when the PS4 comes out, ideally it will be backwards compatible with the PS3, so right there you won't have any need to have an old PS3 hooked up anymore. If you're really wanting to play PS2 games at that point, you'll have no objection to just having a PS2 hooked up to your entertainment system. I'll admit old consoles look out of place, but that's just what has to happen.

The failure rates will continue to kill off the interest in high prices for them as well. Plus those things are loud as fuck.

I think the only way for hardware to be "rare" nowadays is through limited edition colors, or through region specific releases (like the Panasonic GameCube or PSX).

Oppo

My 60GB phatty is going into the grave with me.

Well, technically one of the adjunct trophy rooms of my sprawling crypt, but w/e.

The Casio Loopy is supposedly pretty darn rare. A 1995 Japanese game console aimed solely at young women, and had a game library to match. Somehow, I can imagine why it never quite took off. Maybe if it had been a handheld?

Raoh

I have a slim and a 60gb. I plan to sell my 60gb once psn is online and I can sync my trophies. I just no longer have need for 2 ps3's.

Reading this thread makes me so scared that my 60GB phat is going to melt down and die soon. I just noticed how loud it is when it runs last night while I was playing some Killzone 3. :(

I feel like I should box that thing up and get me a Slim.
Are there recommended techniques for 60GB maintenance to prevent it from breaking down?

Sapiens

TheOddOne said:
Mine still works *Knocks on wood*. I will never sell the real deal.
I'm on my second unit now. The first one was purchased used and died after 1.5 years. Reflowed it five times until putting it away ( it Works but it will die).

I was lucky enough to find a perfect condition, complete with box 60gb unit a few months ago for 280. Let's hope this one lasts.

I use the dyson on it once a week just to keep it dust free.

I'd it breaks, I'll give up the dream and buy a slim.

theBishop

Banned
I had a launch 60GB. There was a weird problem with GTA4 crashing, for which Sony actually replaced my PS3 (free, out of warranty...). So i've got a 60GB, which still works well.

No_Style

captmcblack said:
Reading this thread makes me so scared that my 60GB phat is going to melt down and die soon. I just noticed how loud it is when it runs last night while I was playing some Killzone 3. :(

I feel like I should box that thing up and get me a Slim.
Are there recommended techniques for 60GB maintenance to prevent it from breaking down?

I opened mine up and cleaned it out. I even replaced the 17-blade fan with a quieter 19-blade one that originals came with. It's quieter, but it can still spin up. It's the nature of the beast.

I have an opportunity to sell mine for $200 to GameStop and get a new Slim, but seeing these $200+ offers made me realize that I should probably sell it to someone else for higher.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I reflowed my 60 PS3 -after it died- and kept it as PS2 machine near a huge fan and air conditioner and it's still alive and I don't think I will ever sell it. ( unless if Sony made PS2 HD upscaler device that work on PS3/PS4 or something)

Some PS2 games look just absolute freaking good on it, especially the Cel-shaded games like DQ8,Dark Chronicles..ect and other games like ZOE2, ( but some other games look like garbage).

Kamek

I have a launch 60GB and not one problem ever. I think I have really good luck with consoles. The only time I ever had a problem was the original PSX which when playing FF9 had some sort of weird disc error during some parts. After I left it for a week it corrected itself. Weird..

Dunan

Some of the limited edition PS3s have held their value really well; the Cloud Black Advent Children pack-in PS3 and the Lightning Edition FF13 pack-in sell for a premium.

I'd still rather have a 60GB BC model than either of those, though.

Talamius

I have a 20GB (upgraded to 250GB) launch system. Who needs wireless when you have backwards compatibility? :) To this point it has not given me any trouble, though it has operated as a Blu-Ray player mostly since I moved my PC to the living room.

If you really care about PS2 BC...

Even if it is out of warranty, if you get YLOD or other issues, it's like 130-150 to get your PS3 fixed, which also comes with another year warranty on the parts replaced. When my 60GB PS3gets the YLOD (assuming it does), I'm sending it in to get fixed rather than shelling out more money for a new console without the feature. PS2's are still what, 80-100 bucks new at Best Buy? Add that on to the cost of a new PS3, which is 300-350, and you're at the 400 or more dollars. Let's not forget if you had precious saves for PS2/PS1 games, you're gonna need to track down that PS2 memory card adapter to transfer saves.

Grinchy

Banned
If anyone feels like taking advice from me, don't go and do something stupid like buy a used 60GB. That would be like buying an older version of the 360 - you know it's going to die.

Jomjom

Banned
No_Style said:
I opened mine up and cleaned it out. I even replaced the 17-blade fan with a quieter 19-blade one that originals came with. It's quieter, but it can still spin up. It's the nature of the beast.

I have an opportunity to sell mine for $200 to GameStop and get a new Slim, but seeing these $200+ offers made me realize that I should probably sell it to someone else for higher.

Is it possible to open the 60gb up to clean and reapply thermal compound without scratching the outside body up? I'm very OCD about that kind of stuff, my old 60gb still looks like the day I got it, not a single scratch or flaw.

It's just been sitting in the closet ever since I got the FF13 Lightning PS3, but recently I've been wanting to play some PS2 games, so I'm thinking of running both PS3s. But before I do that I wanted to give the 60gb a thorough cleaning and thermal compound reapplication.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't buy the new wisdom that 60 GB are unreliable. They probably have a lower fail rate than most first models of consoles. Every console has some failures, but many/most of these 60GB will survive for years into the future.

Evlar

Banned
Mr Nightman said:
are the backwards compatible 80gb's any good? have a chance to snag one used for 200 bucks
They have less consistent backwards compatibility compared to the 60 gigs. As far as build reliability is concerned I'm unaware of any atypical problems.

I have a very late-run 60 gig PS3, and it's worked flawlessly since I purchased it. I actually got it for $500; Sony announced the 80 gig concurrently with that first price drop, but there were still a few 60 gigs on the shelves that were marked down to the lower price. It seems to be at the ideal place between feature set and build reliability, as they had worked out the drive problems by that time. And no, it's not for sale.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Mine sold at $250. Didn't want to, but needed the money at the time. Too bad I was an idiot and underestimated shipping costs by about $20.

It's stupidly overpriced at this point considering how old the hardware is. We're talking about a used machine that's been in regular if not heavy use for over three years now. Anyone buying a PS3 today is better off getting a slim with completely brand-new, quieter, cooler, less power hungry, and sleeker hardware with hundreds and hundreds of GB of HDD space and whatever free pack-in game comes with it... for a cheaper price. Honestly you'd be an idiot otherwise.

Shortly after they stopped manufacturing them they were much more valuable. People were still regularly playing PS2 games, games like Persona 4 were still coming out, that MGS Trilogy collection was big, etc. Most importantly there was no PS3 slim model, they simply stripped out the BC so it wasn't like you were sacrificing your hardware just so you could have PS2 compatibility shoe-horned in. Plus, as we get closer and closer to PS4's release it's just not as important anymore. Eventually you'll replace your PS3 and either hope PS4 has BC with PS2 or pull out your PS2 again anyways.

I still use my phat PS3 but only because I bought it back years ago and don't want to pay money to upgrade. If it broke I'd definitely go with a slim though, the BC was useful but I have my slim PS2 in the closet anyways. If I didn't have the BC, plugging in my PS2 for the EXTREMELY rare occasions I actually ever want to play a game would be a cinch.

No_Style

jling84 said:
Is it possible to open the 60gb up to clean and reapply thermal compound without scratching the outside body up? I'm very OCD about that kind of stuff, my old 60gb still looks like the day I got it, not a single scratch or flaw.

Warranty seal will be gone, but yes I reapplied thermal compound without a scratch. There are guides on how to open your PS3 out there from iFixit.

I'm gonna get the dust out, get a better fan in there, and reapply better thermal compound to my og phatty.

I never want to be without the ability to play PS2 games. Ever.

EVER.

Davidion

I bought my 60gb from a kind GAFfer here but am honestly thinking about getting rid of it. I've played through my Shadow of the Colossus and a couple of other PS2 games and beyond that it just doesn't seem to be worth it anymore.

Top Bottom