• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much longer will Fortnite's run last?

FMX

So how long do you all think this game will have legs? every great thing must end or does it?

ManaByte

the sandlot GIF

I work with kids and most of them have stopped playing Fortnite, so I imagine we are about to see Epic Games scale back on their free game offerings with the EGS.
My ten year old nephew and his friends (along with my brother in law) still play all the time.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Gen II Battle Royales will put a hurt on it. Those still seem a year or two away.

It's such a nimble game though. Epic can steer it in the direction it wants waaaaaay faster than it's closest competition.

Me and my duo partner just went nuts getting a win today. Game is f***ing legendary.

Banjo64

cumsessed
The kids in my family started playing at launch and were obsessed until about 18 months ago, and then played it occasionally until about 12 months ago and now don’t play it at all. It’s decidedly uncool amongst them and their friends. They all started playing between the ages of 8-10. Now they all mainly play Rocket League, Siege, Warzone, Cold War & Apex.

I tried to play it with them very occasionally, but thought it was dog shit. How did they go from making Gears of War, the game that introduced me to online console gaming, to this uncompetitive floaty advertising platform?

I have to say, I really don’t miss hearing all about Fortnite events and shit from them all.

Kerotan

In 10 years you'll hear all about teenagers and adults going back to fortnight for the nostalgia buzz. The game they loved as kids. I'm seeing it now with all the old call of duty heads who 13 years later we're loving warzone.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Fortnite is going to last forever, they has sony investment support and kratos dance

i remember people telling me that Pokemon was a fad and that nobody would be playing it beyond 2002. look where we are now! there was a new pokemon game out just yesterday!

i don't know how long exactly Fortnite will be around but i can tell you it'll be around as long as it makes Epic crazy $. if you play the game and enjoy it then have fun with it as long as it lasts. if you don't like it then who cares? i don't get why people are so obsessed hating on things that other people enjoy.
My son is 13, has been playing for like three years and still obsessively plays it. All his buddies do, too. Just the other day, he bought a Horizon Zero Dawn Aloy skin for €20... made me want to tear my hair out. I don't want to know how much money he has, and, by extension I have, sunk into that game.
i'm guilty of buyng that Aloy skin too.... for whatever it's worth just know that us adults are spending money on this stuff too lol. i hardly play the game but every so often there is a skin i buy. I don't even want to check how much i've spent.

Patrick S.

Banned
i remember people telling me that Pokemon was a fad and that nobody would be playing it beyond 2002. look where we are now! there was a new pokemon game out just yesterday!

i don't know how long exactly Fortnite will be around but i can tell you it'll be around as long as it makes Epic crazy $. if you play the game and enjoy it then have fun with it as long as it lasts. if you don't like it then who cares? i don't get why people are so obsessed hating on things that other people enjoy.

i'm guilty of buyng that Aloy skin too.... for whatever it's worth just know that us adults are spending money on this stuff too lol. i hardly play the game but every so often there is a skin i buy. I don't even want to check how much i've spent.
Heh, I almost bought the John Wick skin, even though I play like three Fortnite matches a year. I really am against these predatory skin prices. That shit used to be free mods when I was a teen and we played stuff like Quake 3 and Half Life 2 :/

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Why leave?
You only have to pay for the BattlePass once and they include enough VBUX within it to keep going with further free Battlepasses there after.

It’s one of the best deals around.

cormack12

Gold Member
Until GTA next gen online. They already released Motor Wars a while ago just for the trend but it's not widely known/played. I think a rebrand, some changes based on player data and a bit of marketing - they even have the Cayo Perico Island or the entire city to host it in.

Mikey Jr.

My son is 13, has been playing for like three years and still obsessively plays it. All his buddies do, too. Just the other day, he bought a Horizon Zero Dawn Aloy skin for €20... made me want to tear my hair out. I don't want to know how much money he has, and, by extension I have, sunk into that game.
Remember when horse armor in oblivion was like 2 bucks and people lost their shit?

Good times.

Arun1910

I don't think you can call it.

When it first came out I thought it would last a few months but its still going stronger than ever.

Still hate it tho.

Kids are definitely losing interest. I take a train that's full of school kids for the first couple of stops, and I haven't heard any of them talk about Fortnite in about a year. Between 2018 and 2020 it was all they talked about. As far as I can tell it's all about Warzone and GTA 5 RP now.

lyan

Most people around me stopped playing League of Legends for a long time but looks like it's still going strong so who knows.

Birdo

Banned
It's only popular because it's popular (If that makes sense). When "Influencers" move onto something else, so will the audience.

Could be days, months, or years from now. It's an unpredictable market.

Diddy X

It's already lost momentum, now it's a matter of another big game popping up and every kid will jump wagon.

Let your kid have fun man. I'm sure 20 euros will not make you richer, but will make him happier

AGRacing

It's an evergreen for me. I have periods where I don't bother with it but then I come back. I like this season, too.

I don't understand the hate this game gets. It's an incredible road to success and an incredible game. Probably the most fun I've had with a multi-player game as well.

Unreal Engine 5 is coming to this game as well... could be interesting. Could be rejuvenating.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I dont really see it slowing down. I still play on saturdays with my group of friends from back home. They really make enough changes every season enough for me to want to come and check it out for a couple weeks

*Nightwing

I have addiction issues. Fortnight for some reason triggers it in all the right ways. Each time I play I end up loosing 8-12 hours playing per session. I think it has hit such a perfect formula to captivate it will never fully go away until it isn’t profitable anymore. It will always be the GOAT battle royal even if I don’t think it deserves that title

Shubh_C63

People have made friendships over Fortnite.

This game will never die just like how LoL, CS and other multiplayer games. Doesn't really matter if they are good or bad, people will stick by them.
Hell if people are still upset over Club Penguin HOW on earth Epic would let Fortnite die.

Fbh

It's hard to say.
But Minecraft is still going strong 10 years later, LOL is still going strong 11 years later, the modern style of COD (since OG MW) is still going strong 14 years later, etc.

New games might release, other stuff might come along that will become more popular and there's sure to be some "new big thing" at some point. But I wouldn't be surprised if Fortnite stick around in some capacity for the next 10+ years.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned

Sure but with Pokemon it really feels like they've done next to nothing new but keep slapping new lipstick on the pig.

At least with Fortnite it's admittedly just the same game with new skins.

Spokker

Heh, I almost bought the John Wick skin, even though I play like three Fortnite matches a year. I really am against these predatory skin prices. That shit used to be free mods when I was a teen and we played stuff like Quake 3 and Half Life 2 :/
What's stopping you from saying no? I don't completely forbid these types of games in my house, but I do institute a time limit on them and don't pay for any microtransactions. Basically, I place time limits on video games depending on the type of game it is. Live service games with "seasons" and tons of microtransactions have a shorter time limit than story-based games with a definitive end.

For example, on the weekend my son can play one hour of Fortnite, two hours of MineCraft or 8 hours of Final Fantasy VII on an original PSX hooked up to a CRT. It's only fair.

Last edited:
The kids in my family started playing at launch and were obsessed until about 18 months ago, and then played it occasionally until about 12 months ago and now don’t play it at all. It’s decidedly uncool amongst them and their friends. They all started playing between the ages of 8-10. Now they all mainly play Rocket League, Siege, Warzone, Cold War & Apex.

I tried to play it with them very occasionally, but thought it was dog shit. How did they go from making Gears of War, the game that introduced me to online console gaming, to this uncompetitive floaty advertising platform?

I have to say, I really don’t miss hearing all about Fortnite events and shit from them all.
What's up with kids obsession with siege, fortnite, roblox, rocket league and all the free2 play games. My son used to only play siege, fortnite and rocket league. It took him getting older to like single player games like god of war. Which was strange as I had a collection of 1000s of games he could play, but nah...back onto those f2p games or watching idiots play instead of playing himself.

I think fortnite is boring. It looks like its the same map over and over again. Also don't understand how rainbow six seige got so popular. I loved the old ghost recon advanced war fight 1 and 2, rainbow six vegas , etc... but those were mostly single player with tactical companions. Were good games, siege looks like it is very tiny maps and again always the same ones from what i remember. Rocket league i get, but don't understand the popularity. Non one cared or remember when their first game was out: "super sonic acrobatic rocket powered battle cars", guessing the youtube "Streamer" culture put them on the map.

What is considered the end? The whole game shutting down, or a fall from the upper Rachel on of popularity?

Fortnite won’t have the same longevity as something like WOW, but I’m convinced that they will aim to either make a sequel or expand on the BR-centric game mode with alternatives for cooperative play (ala Back 4 Blood or Forge Mode game types from Halo).

How is he getting the money? Is he stealing it from you, as you said by extension? How do you not know? If he has his own job then have at it. My kids I used to offer them allowance but gave them a set of chores that needed to be done. They got the money a handful of time in 5 years, before they got jobs.
As #1 on the list was clean your room. They couldn't get past that.

Every time they would ask for money for something, i would be like did you do the chores on the list? No, then nope.. Ex wife would be like "just give it to them, reee.." yeah no they need to learn the value of a dollar. If we are doing something togeather i'll pay, but I am not dishing out dough for f2p skins or "coins".

It's only popular because it's popular (If that makes sense). When "Influencers" move onto something else, so will the audience.

Could be days, months, or years from now. It's an unpredictable market.
Isnt the term "influencer " so messed up. They are basically paid shills and "propagandists" for a corporation or product. Kinda scary how people buy into things becasue of trends. I guess rebellion is dead. When i was a kid i used to go against the mainstream and what was popular... i guess somethings never change.

Top Bottom