• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much prettier is Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition? [Preview]

You may not think so, but gamers supporting late ports for full price can only serve to bite everyone in the ass in the end.

Hey, maybe most people will pass on it. It still doesn't mean the port isn't blatantly meant to take advantage of next-gen console owners and to see people defending it really bugs me.

It sounds like you're buying into PR speak a little too much. From the media we've seen so far, there is nothing that justifies a $60 upgrade even from the 360/PS3 versions. 1080p and TressFX are the only real noticeable changes (and Lara's face, I guess).

Where was all this angst in November when Injustice launched at $60 on PS4?

delta25

Banned
Absolutely not, especially considering late PC ports are generally $40 or less. It would be seen as much of a joke as this version is. The only difference here is that next-gen console owners need SOMETHING to play and are willing to overlook being exploited.

I can see your concern for people who already own the game or have access to a computer capable of running the game, although the latter of the two possibility' might be a bit subjective, but for everyone else 60 bucks doesn't seem like that much of an exploitation.

edit: maybe not including yourself, but I find it hard to believe regardless of price point that most PC gamers wouldn't still find enough justifications in the PC version to warrant it the "definitive version" and worthy of the price point.

Valnen

Absolutely not, especially considering late PC ports are generally $40 or less. It would be seen as much of a joke as this version is. The only difference here is that next-gen console owners need SOMETHING to play and are willing to overlook being exploited.

I own the PC version, but haven't played it yet. I'm honestly considering renting this at Gamefly instead of playing my PC version. Hard to argue with higher res textures and better lighting.

Harlequin

I own the PC version, but haven't played it yet. I'm honestly considering renting this at Gamefly instead of playing my PC version.

Depending on how good your PC is and how important graphics are to you, that might not be as bad an idea as certain people would surely like to make you believe.

@Ysiadmihi: I also forgot about the added Kinect/voice/DS4 capabilities in my previous post about noticeable differences. So there you go, that's yet another one.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I can see your concern for people who already own the game or have access to a computer capable of running the game, although the latter of the two possibility' might be a bit subjective, but for everyone else 60 bucks doesn't seem like that much of an exploitation.

Well, we'll have to disagree on that. I think it's rather blatant but I'm not going to convince you otherwise.

I own the PC version, but haven't played it yet. I'm honestly considering renting this at Gamefly instead of playing my PC version. Hard to argue with higher res textures and better lighting.

May as well wait until the upgrades come to PC then!

Harlequin said:
@Ysiadmihi: I also forgot about the added Kinect/voice/DS4 capabilities in my previous post about noticeable differences. So there you go, that's yet another one.

And you really think that's worth $60? I mean come on, what about games like Dark Souls that hit PC late with added, REAL content and are about $20 cheaper than the console version at launch?

CDV13

Everytime I see you post you are just bashing consoles it seems. It is kind of exhausting seeing your posts in these boards, I must say.

I for one have never played the game, so I don't feel I am being exploited, it is a new game to me.

delta25

Banned
Everytime I see you post you are just bashing consoles it seems. It is kind of exhausting seeing your posts in these boards, I must say.

I for one have never played the game, so I don't feel I am being exploited, it is a new game to me.

I don't think he's bashing anything but more so giving his opinion on the subject.

Nothing wrong with that

Ysiadmihi

Banned

If it offends you that much, feel free to use the ignore feature!

But my dislike of consoles really has nothing to do with this thread. I'm actually arguing against publishers charging next-gen console owners full price for a late port, if you haven't noticed.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So I will definitively be buying this.

Got it on Steam Sale ages ago, played the intro, looked beautiful maxed, but this looks like a worthwhile upgrade for someone who has never actually played the game before.

Looking forward to it, will be my first Tomb Raider game ever actually. Only ever played the demo of the original back in the day.

kyser73

I missed it on the 3, will buy it on the 4, probably with a Black Flag trade in...although I don't know if I want to give up pirating!

Best eyes I've seen in a game in the Willard shot, in that hey look like eyes. ND are about the only other dev to get eyes right, along with QD (sometimes). I can look past weird facial animation if the eyes are right.

Jac_Solar

So, they are selling this... for 60$?

Isn't that outrageous? CD Projekt Red added more content to a retail game through a patch!

Darknight

FneT6J2.jpg
ah so moe

True next gen is taking an okay character and making them look like a Dead or Alive girl. That's why it's called definitive.

I dont get why the face on the right wasnt on PS3/360. Its nothing special.

Also whats more troubling is that the old face looks like complete ass. It makes her look cartoony while the face on the right looks like what it should of been. The eyes on the last gen model have a dead look to them. WTF.

bunbun777

You know it is possible there are folks that never wanted to pick this up last gen and now find it more appealing at the same price since you know, it is better.

(I'm just going to rent it like every other next gen game so far)

Those enhancements do sound nice. Not nice enough that I regret buying the pc version on steam for less than 10 bucks and playing that.

Valnen

Also whats more troubling is that the old face looks like complete ass. It makes her look cartoony while the face on the right looks like what it should of been. The eyes on the last gen model have a dead look to them. WTF.

I think you're greatly overestimating what third party studios can squeeze out of the last gen consoles.

Harlequin

Well, we'll have to disagree on that. I think it's rather blatant but I'm not going to convince you otherwise.

May as well wait until the upgrades come to PC then!

And you really think that's worth $60? I mean come on, what about games like Dark Souls that hit PC late with added, REAL content and are about $20 cheaper than the console version at launch?

That alone? No, of course not. That in addition to the things I listed on the previous page? Sure, to someone who values graphics. And stop comparing PC prices to console prices. The reason those are 20$ cheaper is that Sony and MS want a piece of the cake for themselves out of every console game sold. What you should've asked is "What about games like Dark Souls that hit PC late with added, REAL content for the full retail price?"

Not to mention that I don't think graphical upgrades should be dismissed so quickly. Do I personally think they're as good or as desirable as more side tombs or an additional hub? No. But I can appreciate the kind of work that goes into making them and I don't think it's any less work than adding a few side tombs would have been. I don't think we should be talking about the different subjective opinions on how much certain enhancements should be worth (as I'm sure there are plenty of people who couldn't care less about some added side tombs and much prefer the graphical upgrades) but rather about how much work and effort went into them. (Or at least the two points should be considered together.)

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

What?

The one on the left wasn't even on PS3/360. That is the PC on ultra.

The one on the right, artistic preferences aside, is a clear technical improvement. You can see the higher poly count in the lips and eyes especially. Also, the subsurface scattering on her face, nose and ears looks fantastic.

Smash88

Banned
Can someone re-do that jumping gif comparison? With an actual screenshot from the PC version at Ultra. I don't remember the Ultra version looking so drab.

Man. I'm gonna have to replay this mediocre game just to get a fix of bad ass next gen graphics during this launch drought. Maybe I can rent. Haven't rented a game in ages.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
That alone? No, of course not. That in addition to the things I listed on the previous page? Sure, to someone who values graphics.

I could never see spending $60 for an old game just for some better graphics unless it is a full-blown remake. And quite frankly, I have not seen a thing from the DE so far that makes me think any major effort was put into it.

Harlequin said:
And stop comparing PC prices to console prices. The reason those are 20$ cheaper is that Sony and MS want a piece of the cake for themselves out of every console game sold.

This isn't something the consumer should have to give a shit about or understand.

Harlequin said:
What you should've asked is "What about games like Dark Souls that hit PC late with added, REAL content for the full retail price?"

When does this happen, though? PC games sometimes release a few weeks later than console games, but that's mostly because of piracy concerns + hopes for double dipping. I find that completely reprehensible as well, but it's a different situation.

I can't think of any PC versions that launch so late for full price, although I'm sure there have been a few.

Harlequin said:
Not to mention that I don't think graphical upgrades should be dismissed so quickly. Do I personally think they're as good or as desirable as more side tombs or an additional hub? No. But I can appreciate the kind of work that goes into making them and I don't think it's any less work than adding a few side tombs would have been. I don't think we should be talking about the different subjective opinions on how much certain enhancements should be worth (as I'm sure there are plenty of people who couldn't care less about some added side tombs and much prefer the graphical upgrades) but rather about how much work and effort went into them. (Or at least the two points should be considered together.)

Work and effort doesn't mean anything if it's put into the wrong place. And again, from what we've actually SEEN (and not just been told about), I don't see anything worth the asking price here.

Smash88 said:
Can someone re-do that jumping gif comparison? With an actual screenshot from the PC version at Ultra. I don't remember the Ultra version looking so drab.

What area is it from? I can get one.

...unless it's part of a scripted sequence or a cutscene. You couldn't pay me to play through the story again.

Pyrrhus

The new face does look pretty derpy. I think they were trying to make it resemble the voice actress more. Camilla Luddington I think?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I would appreciate if every critically acclaimed game of last gen would get this treatment. There are so many games i didn't buy duo to me not having time playing them at the time.

I rather wait for a 69€ ps4 version of TLoU then to buy it now for 15€ (christmas PSN special) on the ps3.

And since game prices come down faster then sony stock, i could even wait a week or two and get this one for 30-40€.
Don't know if ill buy this game since i never liked tomb raider, but the drought of ps4 games might push me over.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Respawn

Banned
Man. I'm gonna have to replay this mediocre game just to get a fix of bad ass next gen graphics during this launch drought. Maybe I can rent. Haven't rented a game in ages.
Mediocre? This one of the best TR in a long time. We all have our taste but mediocre? C'mon son.

emalord

Sure one of my best rides in 2013
For me It was like a better streamlined and paced Uncharted installment.
That said, no interest in this version whatsoever. Maybe in the future in some HD collection of sort.

MisterM

It's a bit weird that I took this off-screen shot with my phone camera ages ago when playing TR for the first time back on release...it's in almost exactly the same location as the first shot in the OP.

Top Bottom