• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How NOT to sexually harass someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifa-cobex

Recently there has been a great change to Neogaf with fantastic new moderation.
With this welcome new change, we must realise that some of us are complete bastards and need to understand the correct and proper manner of addressing women.
Understandably most of us have never been in contact with a women, but thankfully the BBC has us covered in case we are forced to move from are mothers garage....

I thank you for your time.

lifa-cobex

meanwhile these articles exist

Hey Dudes, Please Don't Talk to Me If I'm Reading a Book in Public

I can see men getting utterly confused and they totally eem to lost their role in society. And yes these articles even existed in Germany and many people also argued this. What happens in GErman offices is vastly different than the sterile atmosphere in the US. Hugging is pretty common as example.

I've read so many of these articles in the past few years. They seem to be getting more ridiculous as the years role on.
Having said that, They are completely devoid from reality (at least here in the UK). I've mentioned and shown a few of these pieces to a co-worker who is in his late 40's.
I usually get the same response, "are you sure it's not just a joke?"

Battlechili

Banned
I think the best ways to get points across is through more delicate explained reasoning rather than through passive-agressiveness and humor.
Its harder to listen to someone and take a point into consideration if there's a sense of underlying disdain coming behind it. Even if the disdain might be warranted.

Last edited:

Mahadev

I think the best ways to get points across is through more delicate explained reasoning rather than through passive-agressiveness and humor.
Its harder to listen to someone and take a point into consideration if there's a sense of underlying disdain coming behind it. Even if the disdain might be warranted.

The video isn't only passive-aggressive, it also uses easy strawmen it can attack while brushing off legitimate complains about MeToo and purposely ignoring the ridiculous shit that has been going on or said by identity politics radicals many of whom are often being taken seriously by corporate media and entertainment. Remember that shitty Ansari story? Well, he might as well be persona non grata in Hollywood: Aziz Ansari Skips 2018 SAG Awards, Receives No Applause When Mentioned

But sure, let's make fun of the criticism, things are just as simple as not spanking a woman in the workplace. The video isn't just useless, it's part of the larger problem.

Last edited:

llien

Video in OP, as practical as it is to know not to spank people, looks rather not convincing after Aziz's alleged sexual assault controversy..
Harassment is even trickier than assault.

lifa-cobex

The video isn't only passive-aggressive, it also uses easy strawmen it can attack while brushing off legitimate complains about MeToo and purposely ignoring the ridiculous shit that has been going on or said by identity politics radicals many of whom are often being taken seriously by corporate media and entertainment. Remember that shitty Ansari story? Well, he might as well be persona non grata in Hollywood: Aziz Ansari Skips 2018 SAG Awards, Receives No Applause When Mentioned

But sure, let's make fun of the criticism, things are just as simple as not spanking a woman in the workplace. The video isn't just useless, it's part of the larger problem.

If you're not laughing. You're not learning.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
On a serious note, treat women with the same respect you'd request of yourself and if you don't respect yourself then don't assume that women just happen to feel the same. They're not things, they're not a hivemind, they're not there to please you just because. Its amazing how people seem to blow this up as if talking to women is somehow going to get them labeled a sexual abuse monster when its far more often about how you talk to women and recognizing things like the obvious power dynamics in situations be they in the office or just out at a bar.

Last edited:

Razorback

Usually, people laugh at the end of a joke, not throughout the whole telling of said joke. I don't think that show has a good grasp of that concept.

Why did the chicken.. AHHAHAH.. wait I'm not doneHAHHHAHAHHoh god my sides!

Zog

Banned
On a serious note, treat women with the same respect you'd request of yourself and if you don't respect yourself then don't assume that women just happen to feel the same. They're not things, they're not a hivemind, they're not there to please you just because. Its amazing how people seem to blow this up as if talking to women is somehow going to get them labeled a sexual abuse monster when its far more often about how you talk to women and recognizing things like the obvious power dynamics in situations be they in the office or just out at a bar.

I think the power dynamics are clear. Men fear that women can destroy their lives on an accusation, true or false so they are considering removing themselves from the situation to avoid problems. Sort of like playing in the road, you could have your life ruined by an oncoming car so you just don't play in the road.

The ridicule men are getting is standard though. Atleast we are past the ignore stage.

Last edited:

Dunki

If you're not laughing. You're not learning.
What I learned through all these years on Social media it is fine to ridicule mens fears while you have to believe and listen to everything a women says. Hey there are articles on feminism 101 in which they demand that men should change the sides if they are walking behind a women so she does not get scared.

lifa-cobex

What I learned through all these years on Social media it is fine to ridicule mens fears while you have to believe and listen to everything a women says. Hey there are articles on feminism 101 in which they demand that men should change the sides if they are walking behind a women so she does not get scared.

Honestly the whole media hit piece thing doesn't bother me anymore. I've said before that the way the internet media portrays the world is devoid from actual reality.
My GF got me the book Men are better then women by Dick Masterson for Christmas. I keep quoting lines in public around her. 90% I just get wired laughs from pubic randoms.

That's too inconvenient and beta to even worry about. Someone can ask, but are you really worried about it? No.

Dunki

That's too inconvenient and beta to even worry about. Someone can ask, but are you really worried about it? No.
I am not because I do not give a fuck what modern feminists say. However it can manipulate especially young children also boys who often have to endure a very feministic school atmosphere. Hell we had boys getting suspended for playing swords with rulers, liking super heroes etc. However I sometimes feel arkward to go to the park with my niece because I think someone could think i am a pedophile etc.

I will be honest here it is much harder for boys than it is for women. Women get support from everywhere they want. Boys just have to deal with it on their own and this goes for dating, fliring etc. And no matter what they do they are either too agressive for feminists or they are to timid for the rest.

HStallion

I think the power dynamics are clear. Men fear that women can destroy their lives on an accusation, true or false so they are considering removing themselves from the situation to avoid problems. Sort of like playing in the road, you could have your life ruined by an oncoming car so you just don't play in the road.

The ridicule men are getting is standard though. Atleast we are past the ignore stage.

This power dynamic wasn't even something that existed until very recently and even still many of the men getting MeToo'd aren't facing charges. Some are already attempting to make come backs and so on and so forth. When I speak of power dynamics I speak of those that women are complaining about en masse because they have to deal with this stuff on a daily basis.

Zog

Banned
This power dynamic wasn't even something that existed until very recently and even still many of the men getting MeToo'd aren't facing charges. Some are already attempting to make come backs and so on and so forth. When I speak of power dynamics I speak of those that women are complaining about en masse because they have to deal with this stuff on a daily basis.

You just don't give a fuck that women can destroy mens lives on an accusation, true or not? For you, only the concerns of women matter.

HStallion

You just don't give a fuck that women can destroy mens lives on an accusation, true or not? For you, only the concerns of women matter.

What? You're the one trying to twist my words around to making an entirely different point. If you're going to ignore history just so you can point how MeToo isn't 100% spotless in its accusations is disingenuous and sad.

Zog

Banned
What? You're the one trying to twist my words around to making an entirely different point. If you're going to ignore history just so you can point how MeToo isn't 100% spotless in its accusations is disingenuous and sad.

I am twisting nothing. Do you agree that a woman can ruin a mans life on an accusation, true or false?

Dunki

It became a huge concern for men with the Article IX in Universities.

If Aziz Ansari were a college student, he would likely be expelled. That should alarm us.

HStallion

I am twisting nothing. Do you agree that a woman can ruin a mans life on an accusation, true or false?

Yes you did. I made a post about respecting women in general that was as genial as possible and mentioned power dynamics and you went off about women ruining men's lives because they apparently have all the power.

It became a huge concern for men with the Article IX in Universities.

If Aziz Ansari were a college student, he would likely be expelled. That should alarm us.

No it became a huge concern because after decades and decades (and really its a lot lot longer than that) men weren't suddenly getting off scott free for their actions in regards to women.

Last edited:
meanwhile these articles exist

Hey Dudes, Please Don't Talk to Me If I'm Reading a Book in Public

I can see men getting utterly confused and they totally eem to lost their role in society. And yes these articles even existed in Germany and many people also argued this. What happens in GErman offices is vastly different than the sterile atmosphere in the US. Hugging is pretty common as example.

Tbh this article seems like it should be about introversion/extraversion rather than sexism. More introverted people generally won't like it if they are approached by a stranger (though sometimes they might). The writer seems to be in this category. More extroverted people will probably enjoy it (though sometimes they might not).

Of course gender plays into it, as women are approached more often by men then the opposite, but I think the personality type is the bigger influence here

Last edited:

Mohonky

I saw this, but it was being a bit facetious for comedic purposes.

Much of the pushback has been related to the more extreme examples, where asking a girl out, if she isnt interested is considered some form of unwanted sexual advance. Or instances where companies have open door policies to ensure no funny business occurs during individual meets to protect all parties involved (which is met with hot takes of 'why, can't men just stop being so sleazy').

Dunki

No it became a huge concern because after decades and decades (and really its a lot lot longer than that) men weren't suddenly getting off scott free for their actions in regards to women.
Maybe you should read the article first. Its from Vox so I guess this does not count as an alt right site?

Zog

Banned
Yes you did. I made a post about respecting women in general that was as genial as possible and mentioned power dynamics and you went off about women ruining men's lives because they apparently have all the power.
I didn't twist YOUR words, I responded to your post with MY words. It wasn't a personal attack, you should read it again with this in mind.

Are you going to answer my question? Do you agree that a woman can ruin a mans life on an accusation, true or false?

HStallion

Maybe you should read the article first. Its from Vox so I guess this does not count as an alt right site?

And my point still stands. This only became a big deal to men when they started actually facing serious push back over actions that they got away with for a very very long time to the point many didn't even bat an eye because it was normal. If you think posting an article about how this whole thing has been messy and people are still figuring it out and trying to re codify rules to match then I'll agree because its by no means a clear cut situation for anyone.

HStallion

I didn't twist YOUR words, I responded to your post with MY words. It wasn't a personal attack, you should read it again with this in mind.

Are you going to answer my question? Do you agree that a woman can ruin a mans life on an accusation, true or false?

I said I think you went off on a extreme tangent that has little to do with what I said aside from "power dynamics". Take that how you will.

Last edited:

Dunki

And my point still stands. This only became a big deal to men when they started actually facing serious push back over actions that they got away with for a very very long time to the point many didn't even bat an eye because it was normal. If you think posting an article about how this whole thing has been messy and people are still figuring it out and trying to re codify rules to match then I'll agree because its by no means a clear cut situation for anyone.

No it is not and that why I also think only believe women and never question her is the wrong approach. Affirmative Consent is fucking terrible way to do this and this is why its dangerous to men. Also the notion that you have to visist do not rape women classes in Universities is stigmatizing men as predators. But this is whatmodern Feminism these days does best I guess.

Zog

Banned
I said I think you went off on a extreme tangent that has little to do with what I said aside from "power dynamics". Take that how you will.

You are avoiding the question, Do you agree that a woman can ruin a mans life on an accusation, true or false?, and that says alot.

Last edited:

HStallion

No it is not and that why I also think only believe women and never question her is the wrong approach. Affirmative Consent is fucking terrible way to do this and this is why its dangerous to men. Also the notion that you have to visist do not rape women classes in Universities is stigmatizing men as predators. But this is whatmodern Feminism these days does best I guess.

I just said I agree its a messy situation in terms of redoing the rules to match the recent change in perceptions about a lot of things between men and women.

HStallion

You are avoiding the question. Do you agree that a woman can ruin a mans life on an accusation, true or false? and that says alot.

Isn't that obvious? I don't really see the value in engaging you like that when my rather innocuous post results in some kind of weird ultimatum without ever intending to. I'm not interested in going on a tangent with you.

Last edited:

TwiztidElf

Meanwhile, while all this hysteria continues, the worlds most evil villain, Harvey Weinstein is sitting on a tropical island somewhere.
Does anyone think he'll end up in jail?

Dunki

I just said I agree its a messy situation in terms of redoing the rules to match the recent change in perceptions about a lot of things between men and women.
An the first right step would to abolish Affirmative Consent and these men do not rape women classes.

Zog

Banned
Isn't that obvious? I don't really see the value in engaging you like that when my rather innocuous post results in some kind of weird ultimatum without ever intending to. I'm not interested in going on a tangent with you.

I think you don't want to admit that you do agree that a woman can easily ruin a mans life and with little to no consequences. I would call that power and so would you if pressed on it.

Last edited:

HStallion

I think you don't want to admit that you do agree that a woman can easily ruin a mans life and with little to no consequences. I would call that power and so would you if pressed on it.

Cool beans. This will be my last post on this line of thought as its just derailing things.

Tumle

Derailing? Because we should only talk about the concerns and fears of women?
When did he say that?
Stop trying to bate him with loaded questions.. I can understand why hes reluctant to answer

But I will.. yes woman can destroy men’s lives very easily with accusations..
But men can destroy woman just as easily with other means.. if you like it or not there is still a power disparity between men and woman.. I think the problem is that woman until the #metoo campaign thought that the power disparation was much larger than it really is.. woman by nature are less likely to be aggressive and confrontational.. so they have had the idea that, if they complained or otherwise confronted a problem no one would listen to them, or they where told so by the perpetrator..
(This is a big generalisation, I know. But it usually is in these kind of discussions)
But with #metoo they have found out that people will actually listen to them, and that it’s a falesy that they have been telling them selves..
So now that they have found there new found power some of them will definitely abuse that power.. because woman like men are only human.. and power abuse is a human thing and not a gender thing :)
All this is tales from my ass.. so take it with a grain of salt 😋

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
When did he say that?

He said: When I speak of power dynamics I speak of those that women are complaining about en masse because they have to deal with this stuff on a daily basis. This leads me to believe he doesn't care at all about mens fears and concerns and only cares about the fears and concerns of women.
Stop trying to bate him with loaded questions.. I can understand why he reluctant to answer
What loaded questions?

But I will.. yes woman can destroy men’s lives very easily with accusations..

That's exactly why HStallion didn't want to answer the question. It's simply not deniable.

But men can destroy woman just as easily with other means..

Such as? Domestic Violence happens both ways but we, as a society, only really care when it happens to women at the hands of men.

I think the problem is that woman until the #metoo campaign thought that the power disparation was much larger than it really is.. woman by nature are less likely to be aggressive and confrontational.. so they have had the idea that, if they complained or otherwise confronted a problem no one would listen to them, or they where told so by the perpetrator..

This is how men feel, we don't report DV or rape by a woman because we know that we won't be taken seriously. There are no campaigns to help men come forward and very few shelters for men if they did. Society bends over backwards to encourage and help women who are (or think they are) a victim of DV or rape.

But with #metoo they have found out that people will actually listen to them, and that it’s a falesy that they have been telling them selves.. So now that they have found there new found power some of them will definitely abuse that power.. because woman like men are only human.. and power abuse is a human thing and not a gender thing :)

Women have always known that there is more compassion for them than for men. It's not like men used to report incidents of rape and DV against them by women and then suddenly stopped, men have always known the compassion just isn't there for them.

Last edited:

Tumle

He said: When I speak of power dynamics I speak of those that women are complaining about en masse because they have to deal with this stuff on a daily basis. This leads me to believe he doesn't care at all about mens fears and concerns and only cares about the fears and concerns of women.

What loaded questions?
The question you kept wanting him to answer, maybe?
Also I didn’t get the feeling that he was not concerned about men’s fears.. one does not exclude the other :)
You may find his answers vague and that’s why you asked him those questions.. but for me it felt more like a bate for him to admit that he cares more about woman than men and is not equally concerned about how things are handled..

Zog

Banned
The question you kept wanting him to answer, maybe?
Also I didn’t get the feeling that he was not concerned about men’s fears.. one does not exclude the other :)
You may find his answers vague and that’s why you asked him those questions.. but for me it felt more like a bate for him to admit that he cares more about woman than men and is not equally concerned about how things are handled..

The question wasn't loaded just because the answer may incriminate him.

Last edited:

Tumle

The question wasn't loaded just because the answer may incriminate him.
Fair enough.. still felt like you already had a feeling of what his answer would be and just wanted him to say it.. just reminded me of old Gaf discussion tactics.. just with the opposite connotation.. don’t know if that’s the right use of the word 😋

Zog

Banned
Fair enough.. still felt like you already had a feeling of what his answer would be and just wanted him to say it.. just reminded me of old Gaf discussion tactics.. just with the opposite connotation.. don’t know if that’s the right use of the word 😋

I was expecting one of two answers:

1) Yes

2) No, those men are not in jail so they are fine

Thinking ahead to a potential opposing argument is not a bad tactic.

HStallion

Once more. I made a straight forward post about treating women with respect and acknowledging the history of unfairness and abuse they've put up since time immemorial. That somehow led to an entire tangent that had little to nothing to do with my original point except trying to twist my words around to imply something else and then several demands for me to answer a question to a conversation I had little interest in in the first place. When your response is "You don't give a fuck about men?" to my initial posts, I see little worth in following up on said question.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Once more. I made a straight forward post about treating women with respect and acknowledging the history of unfairness and abuse they've put up since time immemorial. That somehow led to an entire tangent that had little to nothing to do with my original point except trying to twist my words around to imply something else and then several demands for me to answer a question to a conversation I had little interest in in the first place. When your response is "You don't give a fuck about men?" to my initial posts, I see little worth in following up on said question.

Yes, you have little interest in the concerns and fears of men.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom