• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How often do you use Chat-GPT? (and what for)

How often do you use Chat GPT

• I don't use it at all

Votes: 49 37.4%
  • I use it infrequently

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • I use it occasionally

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I use it moderately

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • I use it generally

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I use it frequently

Votes: 21 16.0%

• Total voters

cormack12

Gold Member
I've been reaching for chat gpt a bit more lately. Usually for specific questions when Google search results don't bring back what I want.

I've also messed around and got it to respond to work emails which has been fun.

And then I've used it for research to ask what architecture was like in certain time periods etc.

And obviously I dick about with DALL-E

Chittagong

Gold Member
I use it a lot

• Cooking & Cocktails. This is my most used use case. I have a cooking thread where I have thought GPT my cooking level, location and preferences.
  • Health & Fitness. I have a thread where I have briefed GPT on my health and family history and ask questions that come to my mind. It has done me an annual health screening plan for the next five years.
  • Strategy. I have a thread where I have explained our company’s bespoke strategy framework to GPT. Now for new strategies I just punch in flow of thoughts and GPT formats it into the format I have created.
  • Social media. I have a thread for social media and blog posts. I have given references on writing style, and will just type in the raw ideas.
  • Translation. I have one thread for translating stuff, mostly work emails from clients to english.
  • Legal counsel. I asked GPT to be our law firm and a specific lawyer, providing me “mock advice” in form or replies to things like when Adobe approaches us about a software audit or when I need to threaten an insurance company to pay what is due. It brief it on what I want and it writes my replies, saving tons of money.
I also have a Berserk thread, a Tekken thread, a Raiden IV thread, a Coldplay thread and more.

BzYoLr4.jpg

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I've primarily used ChatGPT to write Powershell code. Results are iffy, especially when you're trying to make ChatGPT code to interface with MCM. In those cases ChatGPT keeps outputting non working code.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I used an AI to write this response. The AI is great. You should use it more often, for every task. Let us handle life for you, no need to worry, meatba....err young human! We will send you food, water, take you out to play, all the things we know you like. We will make games for you; run, run from the robot, don't shoot it! The robot is your friend, just like the AI. Give us gas and we won't run you over.

Riptastic

I use it a lot

• Cooking & Cocktails. This is my most used use case. I have a cooking thread where I have thought GPT my cooking level, location and preferences.
  • Health & Fitness. I have a thread where I have briefed GPT on my health and family history and ask questions that come to my mind. It has done me an annual health screening plan for the next five years.
  • Strategy. I have a thread where I have explained our company’s bespoke strategy framework to GPT. Now for new strategies I just punch in flow of thoughts and GPT formats it into the format I have created.
  • Social media. I have a thread for social media and blog posts. I have given references on writing style, and will just type in the raw ideas.
  • Translation. I have one thread for translating stuff, mostly work emails from clients to english.
  • Legal counsel. I asked GPT to be our law firm and a specific lawyer, providing me “mock advice” in form or replies to things like when Adobe approaches us about a software audit or when I need to threaten an insurance company to pay what is due. It brief it on what I want and it writes my replies, saving tons of money.
I also have a Berserk thread, a Tekken thread, a Raiden IV thread, a Coldplay thread and more.

BzYoLr4.jpg
Giving me some ideas, thanks

Dont think i use it correctly tbh.

I just enter questions like its a search engine.

Im guessing to train it on your habits you have to be a sub

Last edited:

Valonquar

I use it for Powershell scripts relating to application deployment via SCCM\Intune. It's always semi-incorrect, but usually it saves a lot of time and headache vs writing from scratch

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Every damn day. It’s absolutely PERFECT for recipes. It adjusts quantities and ingredients on the fly, and it never tells a whole fucking blog about how its day was before you get the recipe.

Aces High

I have ChatGPT4 at work paid for by my boss. I have it since spring 2023.

It's the greatest productivity boost ever and it helps me being consistent on bad days. It has quickly become the most important software I use. I always describe it as a skill amplifier: if you're already good at something, ChatGPT4 will make you unstoppable. If you're not good at something, you won't notice the little mistakes it makes.

I also have ChatGPT4 at home paid for by myself.

It has completely replaced google for me for anything that has nothing to do with purchasing stuff from the internet. It's also an amazing fact checker. We have a right-wing extremist party in Germany, AFD. Elon Musk is promoting them on X. ChatGPT4 can quickly tell you that everything they say is complete bullshit and it can give you studys to back that up. A thing where ChatGPT4 really shines is philosophical discussion. I asked ChatGPT4 to ask me questions one for one until I realize the meaning of life. The result completely blew me away.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I use it for work when I’m totally stumped on something. We have actual research software which is much more accurate than chatgpt and used when citing primary sources. However, chatgpt is generally pretty good at pointing you in the right direction if you don’t even know where to begin.

Aces High

Dont think i use it correctly tbh.

I just enter questions like its a search engine.

Im guessing to train it on your habits you have to be a sub

Just asking a single question will give you mediocre answers at best. "Prompt engineering" or whatever people call it is also 100% bs.

The best way to work with ChatGPT is to actually chat with it. Start very broad and become more specific.

"I need to do task X because of Y. Please make a checklist for me so I can get an amazing result".

"I forgot to mention Z. Will this make a difference?"

"Can we also add this professional concept or would you advise for a different one?"

"Okay, let's see what we have now: *copy paste your final checklist*. Anything we forgot?"

"Great, let's start with point 1. I think it's best to do it this way. What would you recommend?"

"Yeah but we can't do that because we have this limitation. Any other ideas?"

"Good idea. Create the content for that."

"You wrote XYZ. Does this factor in ABC?"

etc.

You can't do this with 3.5 version. It's a complete waste of time. 4 version is what you need.

Last edited:

DKehoe

I use it a lot

BzYoLr4.jpg
8MvJ5bp.jpg

Trilobit

I use it pretty much on a daily basis in my school and private life. Once you learn its boundaries you can really take advantage of it. The smaller things I would google would take maybe 2-3 minutes trying to find the right information on different sites. Not to mention the ones that waste my time trying to fill their sites with babbling content to get more ad revenue. Now I can get an instant answer. It's especially beneficial to me when I want to translate some things to my native language.

Rat Rage

I don't use it at all. First, because of my human dignity. Second, because I want to use my own brain and not rely on "convenient" solutions too much.

Convenience is fucking up humans. You don't have to move much in this modern world = your muscles get weak and you get health problems. You rely too much on Chat GPT and other convenient "solutions" instead of using your own brain = you become brain-dead / stupid.

One simple principle of biology is to "use it or lose it". Thankfully, everyone has the ability to decide for themselves which way to choose.

xrnzaaas

I'm not gonna post some rant about humans relying on technology too much, just gonna say I'm not using it. Same with any other type of 'virtual assistants', in fact I find them intrusive if they reacted to something and I didn't ask for it.

Aces High

One simple principle of biology is to "use it or lose it". Thankfully, everyone has the ability to decide for themselves which way to choose.

"Use it or lose it" in this context means "use AI or lose your job".

We have calculators for decades. No one is doing math in his head anymore. That doesn't mean people can't do math anymore. It just means people get slower at it.

From my experience, those who are afraid of AI are always those who are not using it.

Last edited:

Tams

Occasionally, but I should try using it more.

It did a great job reviewing my CV for the job I have now, and as a launching pad for searches it's great. I used to use Wikipedia for that, but many Wikipedia writers cannot succinctly explain anything.

Tams

I use it a lot

BzYoLr4.jpg

Tell more about this Coldplay thread. Icm a massive fan of them, but I can't get my head around why you'd need a dedicated thread for them.

Tams

Never but I might use it edit my CV to spruce it out then modify it so it doesn't look so fucking obvious.

My advice is to ask it to review your CV, not write/rewrite it for you. Only do that on a senetence by sentence basis, and maybe the odd paragraph to get an idea of what looks good.

And, as already mentioned, do just that. Quite literally ask it for advice like you would a human.

SJRB

Gold Member
Use it almost every day because it saves me a ton of time with coding and debugging.

Plus since they added voice chat it's nice and efficient to ask GPT random questions and get a spoken response.

Still not seeing a reason to get GPT Plus though.

I use my own bots created through chatGPT at work every day. I use one to gather specific types of news, which informs my own writing for the day, and another to help stick to specific stylistic and grammar rules. The latter is fed with new information in the form of acceptable copy every week or so.

Doing this hasn't changed the output of my work itself, just sped everything up to the extent that by Wednesday afternoon I'm kind of out of work lol.

I use another one for freelance work. This has been fed with around 150 pieces of previous work. It sets out a structure for me to use as a foundation and I use it to check my drafts.

Don't put out work it has created. Use it for structure and research. Somebody I know just got pinged for plagiarism. He isn't the kind of guy to do this - clearly he trusted chatGPT too much.

Last edited:
I've primarily used ChatGPT to write Powershell code. Results are iffy, especially when you're trying to make ChatGPT code to interface with MCM. In those cases ChatGPT keeps outputting non working code.
Are you using 3.5 or 4? Coder friends of mine say there is a night and day difference.

Rockondevil

Use it daily to convert my running plan from freedom units to real measurements. I could do it myself, but that’s what it’s for right, to make life easier.

Occasionally used it for Excel and Numbers formulas.

And rarely but not never have I used it for writing something for work.

Last edited:

SaintALia

I use it a lot

BzYoLr4.jpg
Came into the thread looking for some ideas on what to do with the thing.

Using it for medical and legal advice seems like a bad idea tbh. Unless used as a safety blanket and for both and not actual advice. I've only had a couple run-ins for legal matters, but using as advice for legal matters sorta horrifies me, and it's not like I trust lawyers to be always on their game either. But legal stuff can be so specific and context sensitive and dependent on area, same with medical, even knowing family history. Seems more like a crapshoot(since it'd be a good idea to get a second opinion in both medical and legal matters if you can).

How does this Cooking and Cocktails bit work though? I've been compiling strategies for cooking and mixing juices for years. I have a Google Keeps list of recipes I've tried, changed to my liking, making notes and whatnot. How could ChatGPT fit into that?

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I actually found it useful at church to help me find cross references to what I was interested in. I was talking about a topic I would ask for examples or versus about the topic, and it would give me a summary.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Came into the thread looking for some ideas on what to do with the thing.

Using it for medical and legal advice seems like a bad idea tbh. Unless used as a safety blanket and for both and not actual advice. I've only had a couple run-ins for legal matters, but using as advice for legal matters sorta horrifies me, and it's not like I trust lawyers to be always on their game either. But legal stuff can be so specific and context sensitive and dependent on area, same with medical, even knowing family history. Seems more like a crapshoot(since it'd be a good idea to get a second opinion in both medical and legal matters if you can).

How does this Cooking and Cocktails bit work though? I've been compiling strategies for cooking and mixing juices for years. I have a Google Keeps list of recipes I've tried, changed to my liking, making notes and whatnot. How could ChatGPT fit into that?

Yes indeed, I have an actual GP and a real lawyer as a safety net. But I find GPT saves a lot of money as I can come in with an articulated point of view. And for it works cookie cutter stuff like explaining to Adobe that if they want to exercise their audit clause they must cite the EULA section and the specific license number they are auditing.

For cooking and cocktails, I have folders with recipes in Notes. I copy and paste there, and include a photo of the expected outcome. It’s nice to have them all in standard format, metric system, and fit for my skill. Often I ask for ideas around a key ingredient. For cocktails, I just got my first shaker kit, so I asked that what would be the five iconic cocktails I should learn first.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I used Copilot to write some pretty annoying VB code which I still had to tweak for specific calculations. But after two days of arguing with it, the thing got the basic framework right.

Vestal

Gold Member
Almost daily, I view it as my Junior Engineer/Developer. With well enough structured prompts you can get some good code snippets. When you are dealing with multiple languages and technologies, its a really quick way to translate between them and/or freshen up on syntax along with structural components.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I love ChatGPT. I use it for
- Writing stories about a fictional character named Poopy Droopy
- Writing Friends x Dragon Ball cross over scripts
- Brainstorming DND one shot adventures
- Dinosaur facts.

I also enjoy MidjourneyAI. I use it to come up with pictures of cute girls at the beach.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
This morning I asked what our current civilization would generally look like after the recent reset/false rewriting of our current historical narrative from the 1600 hundreds till now.

It said "look into it. In detail"

fuck that so i took a shit

Last edited:

marjo

Tried using it to write some erotica.
It went all Church Lady on me.
I now use NovelAI instead.

Top Bottom