• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How reliable are the phat PS3 models (60GB and 20GB)?

paolo11

I used to have one BC 60 GB Phat PS3 one but it YLOD on me after 3 years. Now I know someone selling a Phat PS3 20GB for $90.00. I am wondering if I got bad luck or BC ps3 are YLOD prone.

What's your take on this, GAF?

Jomjom

Banned
My 60gb is still working perfectly.

Note that I am a neat freak though. It's completely covered when not in use so that as little dust as possible can get into it. I also regularly dust the inside and by that I mean open it up and dust it not just canned air.

Also don't know if it matters, but I have one of the built in Japan ones.

paolo11

Hmm, nice. I guess I have bad luck then before.

$90 is a good price, yes? Great condition per seller.

meptrep

I have a 60GB that I bought earlier this year, used of course. Seems fine even though it gets really warm and loud when doing absolutely nothing.

I wouldn't be too concerned about their reliability.

atomsk

Party Pooper
I've got an 80gb (motorstorm bundle) that is still chugging along.

I've had to replace the blu-ray laser, and replaced the solder.

The fans get pretty loud, but I still tear through games no problem.

Chesskid1

Banned
i have a phat that is hella old and still works perfect after all these years, havent done anything to it except dust it once in a while.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
My 60GB launch day unit wound up with YLOD.
I recall a decent sized thread on YLOD, so it's a gamble for sure. You figure the 20GB model is 8yrs old.

OmegaFax

I've got an 80gb (motorstorm bundle) that is still chugging along.

I've had to replace the blu-ray laser, and replaced the solder.

The fans get pretty loud, but I still tear through games no problem.

Twice my system has acted up. It won't read DVD-based media but reads CDs and Blu-Ray just fine. Thing is a furnace though, literally. Heats up the whole room. Still works.

Korezo

Bad, I think I had 4 ylod until I told Sony to just give me a slim, and all if my friends except 1 had ylod.

knitoe

My launched 60GB still works fine, but then again, it's only used for AAA exclusives so maybe once every 6 months.

CrovaxPSO

I've had my 60GB since shortly after launch and it's been completely fine. I blow out the dust regularly since it seems to really get into the vent on the top/end more than any other system I've owned, but it hasn't caused any problems.

My phat PS3 (80GB from MGS4 bundle) worked just fine in a rather dusty environment and saw heavy use. Only reason I ditched it was for a larger HDD.

Castcoder

Banned
I've had about five phat failures between a 60GB unit and an 80GB unit. I had them repaired for disc drives issues and a YLOD. I then got a Super Slim after my 60GB failed on me again. So far my Super Slim hasn't given me any issues, and my dad's slim hasn't really acted up since he got it years ago.

My 60gb from launch still runs perfectly. Only real problem for me, is I can't replace the hard drive as I've stripped the screws and those little suckers just wont come out!!

Vashetti

Banned
I see. How do you normally prevent this?

You open it up, clean off the dried up paste with rubbing alcohol, and then apply new thermal paste (I always see Arctic Silver recommended), then leave it all to dry for a few days.

Also, as I said above, upgrading the 15 blade fan to a 19 blade fan helps too.

Krakn3Dfx

My launch 60GB is still going strong. Knock on wood.
knocking.gif

I try to take it apart about once a year, blow it out, and re-apply thermal paste to the heatsink.

Funny this thread pops up after my phat 60gb ps3 seems to be dying. Could be wrong though. It's freezing at the end credits to shadow of the colossus so I can't get my trophy :'(

I've read it's just my hdd going but I've not long put a 250gb hdd in so that's that theory gone! Sad times can't really afford to buy a new ps3 right now and I have a huge backlog on it!

Vashetti

Banned
Funny this thread pops up after my phat 60gb ps3 seems to be dying. Could be wrong though. It's freezing at the end credits to shadow of the colossus so I can't get my trophy :'(

I've read it's just my hdd going but I've not long put a 250gb hdd in so that's that theory gone! Sad times can't really afford to buy a new ps3 right now and I have a huge backlog on it!

My 80GB phat died recently and Sony are offering me £110 for a refurbished console, so it might be worth you contacting them and seeing what they offer you.

Of course they don't refurbish phats anymore, so you'd either get a Slim or a Super Slim. I've been told it's the Slims they give out.

nikos

My launch day 60gb is still going strong. Replaced the HDD (by choice) early on, but that's about it.

My 80GB phat died recently and Sony are offering me £110 for a refurbished console, so it might be worth you contacting them and seeing what they offer you.

Of course they don't refurbish phats anymore, so you'd either get a Slim or a Super Slim. I've been told it's the Slims they give out.

Thing is though I bought my 60gb phat off a friend years back so it's got zero warranty. Or will Sony still sort me out with a refurb?!

Rocky

Banned
My 60GB phat is working great as well. Bought it in July 2007 when they announced they were discontinuing the PS2 hardware BC. Also, knock on wood. lol

80 GB fat (upgraded the hard drive to a 400 GB) since sept 2007 still purring. Have a slim as well, since shortly after they came out.

virtualS

I've owned a 60GB since launch and the only trouble I've had was a failed bluray laser (known issue). Fixed that and had no other problem. My unit has never been placed in an enclosed space however. I'm certain that had it been it would have suffered catastrophic death long ago.

Take your modern consoles out of cabinets! You'll melt them.

I'm guessing that the high levels of conservatism surrounding TDP and clockspeeds with the PS4/XBOne is to combat the fact that many consumers choke their consoles to death and then blame the manufacturer.

Top Bottom