• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Remedy is taking Control of its own destiny.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-07-16-how-remedy-is-taking-control-of-its-own-destiny

CEO Tero Virtala on the Finnish developer's plans for its newest IP and the lessons learned from its Microsoft collaborations

Quantum Break taught Remedy Entertainment a series of hard lessons.

The ambitious original IP combined action gameplay with live-action TV episodes that changed depending on choices made in the game, which dramatically ramped up production time and costs. It was also exclusive to Microsoft platforms when it launched in 2016 which, being a second-place platform, didn't help it sell well enough to warrant a sequel.

The latter is in part due to the Finnish developer's long-running collaboration with Microsoft. After Alan Wake proved to be a hit (although, again, not enough to warrant a full sequel), work on Quantum Break began at a time when neither the Xbox One nor PlayStation 4 had been released. With Xbox's strong performance in the previous generation, plus Microsoft's original plans for a TV-infused strategy with its next console, it's understandable why Remedy maintained that relationship.

More in the link.

Skyn3t

Banned
Control looks like Quantum Break 1,5, which isn't necessary a bad thing. QB was fun ,but the emphasis on rather weak TV show interpolated with the gameplay didn't work so well. Too much talking and story development with not enough gameplay. The balance of those two was jus off. And Control looks like QB with supernatural powers instead of time manipulation minus TV series. Seen that, played that.

I thin Remedy should go for a completely different idea or make Alan Wake 2. The studio has potential, but since Max Payne didn't really shake the industry in any meaningful way. And I believe Control won't be any breakthrough in that matter.

EBE

Quantum Break was such a regression in Remedy's usually strong storytelling qualities as well as being mechanically inferior to their then latest showing, Alan Wake American Nightmare, that I have VERY little hope this will be good.

xviper

they are shooting themselves in the foot, again

most people hated Quantum break, let alone it was a microsoft exclusive which gets more hate for that alone, and you make your next multiplatform game looks very VERY similar to the game that was close to your doom ? big mistake

I think if QB was not a MS exclusive the views on it would be very different....its actually a pretty cool game to play and they have continually patched it and given it x1x upgrades
if they put that much love into their new IP then its a day one purchase

Skyn3t

Banned
It was the opposite probably. Anal Wake and Quantum Break didn't sell especially well. Not in the numbers that would give Microsoft an impulse to buy them.

radewagon

I think if QB was not a MS exclusive the views on it would be very different....its actually a pretty cool game to play and they have continually patched it and given it x1x upgrades
if they put that much love into their new IP then its a day one purchase

I definitely agree with you. I've been a Sony fanboy since PSOne and one of my biggest regrets about not getting Xbox consoles was my inability to play Remedy's Alan Wake and Quantum Break. I always thought that it was a shame that two titles that would easily have found a more receptive audience on Playstation consoles were stuck being Xbox exclusives.

Now that I have finally gotten an XBoxOneX (it's awesome), I have played through both of those titles. Alan Wake was a great, if not heavily flawed, game. Quantum Break, on the other hand, I found as being nothing short of miraculous. I'm glad that Remedy has decided to not give their IP over to MS this time. Their games deserve to be on platforms that are more open to the sort of "artsy" games they develop.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Remedy is taking back their destiny of releasing mediocre games that take way too long to make.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
It was the opposite probably. Anal Wake and Quantum Break didn't sell especially well. Not in the numbers that would give Microsoft an impulse to buy them.

Ninja Theory wasn't lighting up the sales charts, but I guess they wanted to sell out.

Top Bottom