• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Star Citizen Plans to do Much of What No Man's Sky Doesn't

Megalo

Don't wait.

You should definitely rescind now. Seriously, if there was even the slightest doubt in my head that the project wouldn't see the light of day I'd get my money back. I can't see why you wouldn't also.

If you didn't learn your lesson with NMS then shame on you.

Rescind.

He didn't learn his lesson after financing the open-dev crowdfunded game that is NMS ?

"NMS was a disappointment so every game from now on will be the same ! Don't believe their LIES !"

You cannot get misleaded with SC if you follow the development closely. They are honestly as open and clear as any dev could be...
That was absolutely not the case with NMS and the comparison between the two projects is pointless.

E92 M3

Yes, let's compare a game with $100 million budget vs a small indie studio. If anything, that shows how impressive the technology behind NMS is.

Akronis

He didn't learn his lesson after financing the open-dev crowdfunded game that is NMS ?

"NMS was a disappointment so every game from now on will be the same ! Don't believe their LIES !"

You cannot get misleaded with SC if you follow the development closely. They are honestly as open and clear as any dev could be...
That was absolutely not the case with NMS and the comparison between the two projects is pointless.

Look at his avatar champ.

How about the people that bought the game 3 years ago? ;)
Backed in October 2012 and I don't mind waiting. How about speak for yourself.

Yeah. I think I backed for $35 not long after the KS ended. I did it with the knowledge it wasn't going to exist for a LONG while (my rig at the time wasn't even close to capable of running what they were showing). It's blown up to be way more ambitious than what I payed for back then (in a good way). With as much as they're putting in to this thing, I think that's a steal assuming most of it comes together. If not, oh well. I wasted a measly $35 that I spent 2 or 3 years ago..

RK9039

Pretty much this.
People talk about NMS ambition being too high... This game is like 10+ time more ambitious.

It is more ambitious clearly, but NMS was made by like 3 people who made some 2D bike game or something. Plus they were so high they started making features up.

I sincerely hope that this project comes together.

I just fear that the scope of Chris Roberts vision outweighs what can feasibly be done in reality.

1000+ people on a server playing a game with Crysis quality graphics??

That seems a bit too far-reaching.

Doikor

I sincerely hope that this project comes together.

I just fear that the scope of Chris Roberts vision outweighs what can feasibly be done in reality.

1000+ people on a server playing a game with Crysis quality graphics??

That seems a bit too far-reaching.

Umm. Already mentioned that it is going to be instanced so no you won't be able to get 1000 people on the same server. I think the current version of the multiplayer has a limit of 20 or so. My guess is that it will be limited to around 50 or 60 ships in a single instance at launch.

Putty

Haven't seen anything of the game outside of knowing my friend Pedro is scoring it, but I watched the Gamescom demo and I was blown away! A gripe I have with NMS is that it's a little to colurful and cartoony...but this? Oh man....ill be keeping a very close eye on it from now on.

Umm. Already mentioned that it is going to be instanced so no you won't be able to get 1000 people on the same server. I think the current version of the multiplayer has a limit of 20 or so. My guess is that it will be limited to around 50 or 60 ships in a single instance at launch.

The server in online games isn't doing any graphical processing, for starters.

Really?

Then why do the "World Of Warcraft" servers buckle at times; even though they are using far inferior graphics?

Just asking...

Steel

Banned
Really?

Then why do the "World Of Warcraft" servers buckle at times; even though they are using far inferior graphics?

Just asking...

Why do the gaf severs buckle at times even though they are using far inferior graphics?

Tracking players, actions, and objects is all that's done on server-side, graphics are processed on the user end.

Doikor

Really?

Just asking...

Because they are doing the gameplay logic work. Which isn't all that heavy but once you start doing it for several players it stacks up. On top of that it is usually a bit of code that really doesn't run all that well in parallel (see Eve online and their YEARS of work to make these 2000+ ship battles work. though even then the game has to run at 10% of normal speed) so you are quite often limited to the speed of a single cpu thread for many things.

Nabbis

So... For those who have bothered to follow the development of this game, how fulfilling were the so far released milestones done?

elyetis

So... For those who have bothered to follow the development of this game, how fulfilling were the so far released milestones done?
They get those milestones done, I don't think they ever got a release date right but it still end up being released.

disap.ed

1/2 OT post incoming: I find the seamless movement from outer space onto the planet's surface highly fascinating, but when I watched the Gamescom footage I asked myself if we will ever overcome pop-ups / visible LOD changes and low-resolution shadows.

3usDvLA.jpg

Please don't understand this as bashing, this isn't something particular annoying in this game, quite the opposite I can understand and better live with these limitations in a game of this scale, it is just a general question. Is there tech to avoid this on the horizon?

pottuvoi

Banned
1/2 OT post incoming: I find the seamless movement from outer space onto the planet's surface highly fascinating, but when I watched the Gamescom footage I asked myself if we will ever overcome pop-ups / visible LOD changes and low-resolution shadows.

Please don't understand this as bashing, this isn't something particular annoying in this game, quite the opposite I can understand and better live with these limitations in a game of this scale, it is just a general question. Is there tech to avoid this on the horizon?
There are plenty of research on shadows and some might even work for star citizen.
IE. shadowmaps which use virtual texturing as it's base are quite interesting and might work.

For planet surface self shadows they already seem to use custom solution and create shadows during creation time. (Store it to texture etc.)
It's visible up to space and looks stable, which is very important.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8AzNjLqyX8

Top Bottom