• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How the fuck do I quit this job?

Boys I can't do this anymore. Long story short, I left a previous job I hated, (dickhead manager, untenable work life balance) and came to this remote one. This is my second real big boy job, (24 years old) And for awhile it was okay but holy fuck they've shown their true colors and my whole team has either quit, or is actively job hunting.

I'll run down the bullshit, its a glorified call center, they advertised it as a salaried professional development role but we're just bitch hourly phone grunts. We're treated like numbers, its dehumanizing, we're micro managed to hell and back as our software tracks us minute to minute and if we are "out of adherence" for even 10 min we get chewed out. We're condescended to and talked to like we're 10 years old. Extreme corporatism bullshit. It's actually making me miss my last job. Everyone is depressed here and despondent. It's detracting from all of our personal lives. They just announced this morning that they're ending remote work and moving back to office and expanding our hours on the phones each day. So more phone time. This was apparently some kind of punishment for all of us as someone allegedly was cheating the system not taking calls, can't blame them. Now we're being punished with more of our... primary... job responsibility. Yeah bad indicator.

Now you may be thinking, "just quit dude?" but here's the thing, as ever with America the wage slavery is strong and I have bills to pay. And my job hunt has thus far only turned up rejection letter after rejection letter. However, I have a very good savings, (I'll just say 10,000-20,000 on the higher end) and would've honestly quit by now and simply lived off my savings job hunting full time. It's that bad. BUT, when I came from my last job they snuck in a $5000 relocation contract which means I have to stay here for another like half a year or more until thats void and I can't fucking do it. It's hurting my mental health so badly in my personal life. But like, with that bullshit contract I'm fucked. Do I buy lottery scratch offs? Fundraise? What the hell can I do I can't take this anymore.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
That sounds really rough. Sorry you're going through this.

If it were me, I'd reach out to any- and everyone in my social network to let them know I'm looking for work. Maybe they know someone who's hiring. Every job I've ever had has been through someone I knew personally. Often, they were people I worked with who left, and then hired me at their new place.

Also, LinkedIn recruiters are great. You could set your profile up to let recruiters know you're looking for work, and they'll look for you while you also look for yourself. I didn't take the jobs, but they got me set up with multiple interviews surprisingly quickly.

Another thing? It may not seem like it from your perspective, but it is ABSOLUTELY a worker's market in the job market today. Companies are hurting for people and hiring like crazy. Your company sounds like the kind of place where management will try and instill fear of the inability to find another job when in actuality, they're probably scared shitless people are going to leave.

So, basically, I'd keep your head down at work and keep looking on the side. It'll take time, but taking steps to change your situation will keep you focused and directed. Went through a similar experience last year, actually. It took time, but it worked out for the best in the end.

Let me know if you have any questions or anything.

Last edited:

Jennings

Talk to an employment attorney and find out just how infallible that contract is in regards to the relocation money. It's possible they might be able to have the $5000 knocked down based on time served, or a number of other things.

Also, if you find a new job they might even pay the $5000 for you just to get you on the team, although they might put the same sort of contract in place for you.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
$5000 like they gave you $5000 to cover moving expenses and you have to pay it back if you leave?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Find a new job, look for something professional and then accept the new job give notice and quit the job you are in.

You are not a wage slave. You have created obligations or chosen a lifestyle that requires a certain amount of income. You can change your behavior and requirements and no longer be beholden to a job you hate. Do not be afraid to leave where you currently live.

That sounds really rough. Sorry you're going through this.

If it were me, I'd reach out to any- and everyone in my social network to let them know I'm looking for work. Maybe they know someone who's hiring. Every job I've ever had has been through someone I knew personally. Often, they were people I worked with who left, and then hired me at their new place.

Also, LinkedIn recruiters are great. You could set your profile up to let recruiters know you're looking for work, and they'll look for you while you also look for yourself. I didn't take the jobs, but they got me set up with multiple interviews surprisingly quickly.

Another thing? It may not seem like it from your perspective, but it is ABSOLUTELY a worker's market in the job market today. Companies are hurting for people and hiring like crazy. Your company sounds like the kind of place where management will try and instill fear of the inability to find another job when in actuality, they're probably scared shitless people are going to leave.

So, basically, I'd keep your head down at work and keep looking on the side. It'll take time, but taking steps to change your situation will keep you focused and directed. Went through a similar experience last year, actually. It took time, but it worked out for the best in the end.

Let me know if you have any questions or anything.
This is all great advice thanks man! How do I set my LinkedIn profile to job hunting like you said?

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
This is all great advice thanks man! How do I set my LinkedIn profile to job hunting like you said?

It's clutch: they have a way to let only people with "recruiter" accounts be able to see you're looking. Sure, recruiters from your company could go stalking LinkedIn to see who's antsy if they really want, but fuggem.

Maybe talk to a lawyer about that contract, to see what you can do. Maybe pay a partial amount like Jennings Jennings suggested.

If you're on the fence about quitting, don't, just stick up for yourself, don't let their petty harassment bother you, record them harassing you, write notes on what they're doing, then if they fire you you at least have a case for unemployment if you choose to go that route. That way, while you're pissing away savings you can at least get a chunk of unemployment money when you hopefully win. It's always better to get fired then to just walk away.

And I don't recommend just quitting and wasting your savings, speaking from experience because I did that when I was your age as well, and I regretted it because it set me back so much.

Find a new job, but in the meantime don't let them win by making you quit, stick with it. I can understand what you're going through because my wife had a shitty call center job, and they fired her 1 week before her 1 year anniversary because they'd have to give her benefits. Just really rotten people.

If you get fired do you have to pay back relocation expenses? If not, have fun with it. Good time to get fired as they can't disclose any details and you can just say it was a restructuring when you are job hunting.....
It's interesting. The contract is worded weird. It implied if I get fired for "misconduct" or "violation of company policy" I do, but outside of that I dont. Not sure any other way someone can get fired. If there was I'd do it and not pay the 5000 lol.

Maybe talk to a lawyer about that contract, to see what you can do. Maybe pay a partial amount like Jennings Jennings suggested.

If you're on the fence about quitting, don't, just stick up for yourself, don't let their petty harassment bother you, record them harassing you, write notes on what they're doing, then if they fire you you at least have a case for unemployment if you choose to go that route. That way, while you're pissing away savings you can at least get a chunk of unemployment money when you hopefully win. It's always better to get fired then to just walk away.

And I don't recommend just quitting and wasting your savings, speaking from experience because I did that when I was your age as well, and I regretted it because it set me back so much.

Find a new job, but in the meantime don't let them win by making you quit, stick with it. I can understand what you're going through because my wife had a shitty call center job, and they fired her 1 week before her 1 year anniversary because they'd have to give her benefits. Just really rotten people.
And mine is a *supposedly* big respectable financial firm with great Glassdoor reviews. I'm not sure if there's any legal ramifications for saying the name but it's a big one. You'd know the name. A lot of people on this board probably have their money with them. And yet it's such awful conditions.

Jaybe

Take it as a learning experience to know what you never want to do again.

Good advice from others on telling everyone you know who is not at your current company that you are looking. It helps if you have an idea what type of role you want that you can communicate, then people can point you in the right direction or will keep that in their heads.

Jump on LinkedIn if you aren’t yet. They may offer a free job seeker membership for a month and have many LinkedIn Learning videos you can watch.

One thing I’m concerned with is if you’re not getting interviews. This is probably because you are applying to places where you don’t know any one, but… is your resume as best as it can be written and are you actually putting in effort in the applications?

I mentioned above but while you can take any job, it helps to have intent. So you have an ideal role or career path in mind? Are there online or night classes you can take that move you in that direction and mostly importantly show prospective employees that you are serious, self-motivated, and investing in yourself.

And it’s definitely a job seekers market. I’m confident you’ll have a new role soon using some of the other posters’ advice. Nothing is more important than your physical and mental health so do not let that $5K stick impact you negatively and be prepared to go. Others gave good advice to mitigate it too, especially seeing a lawyer and documenting the negative workplace.

Take it as a learning experience to know what you never want to do again.

Good advice from others on telling everyone you know who is not at your current company that you are looking. It helps if you have an idea what type of role you want that you can communicate, then people can point you in the right direction or will keep that in their heads.

Jump on LinkedIn if you aren’t yet. They may offer a free job seeker membership for a month and have many LinkedIn Learning videos you can watch.

One thing I’m concerned with is if you’re not getting interviews. This is probably because you are applying to places where you don’t know any one, but… is your resume as best as it can be written and are you actually putting in effort in the applications?

I mentioned above but while you can take any job, it helps to have intent. So you have an ideal role or career path in mind? Are there online or night classes you can take that move you in that direction and mostly importantly show prospective employees that you are serious, self-motivated, and investing in yourself.

And it’s definitely a job seekers market. I’m confident you’ll have a new role soon using some of the other posters’ advice. Nothing is more important than your physical and mental health so do not let that $5K stick impact you negatively and be prepared to go. Others gave good advice to mitigate it too, especially seeing a lawyer and documenting the negative workplace.
Well guilty on the first one not sure if I'm guilty in the second one. I touched it up as recently as may when I started job hunting as I had the experience. I've gotten conflicting reports. Employers in college loved it but my friend recently said it was so-so. (Was mainly kind of joking giving me shit but also actually wasn't the biggest fan) But it's been reviewed and edited by professionals through college. Granted my two most recent one's and most important are all from me but I'm not sure. I think it's good.

As far as the other thing yeah I've exclusively applied to jobs I don't know anyone at come to think of it. But this doesn't seem to be holding back *some* of my friends and hell didn't even hold me back in college as I would get great offers with less experience and a less touched up resume so I'm not sure. If it makes any difference I only intensively seriously actively started the job hunt I'd say... 1.5-3 weeks ago? Before recently it's been very light and cursory.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Start looking for other jobs and mention that you can't start until whenever that contract clause expires. In today's labor market you'd be surprised how many will be willing to wait five or six months. As soon as you can dip out.

Also, don't give them the satisfaction of breaking you. Don't send some vindictive email CC'n everyone on your way out. Just ghost those fools. No two week's notice. They sound like assholes and will have staffing problems anyways, so leave without a word and let your dickhead manager deal with the shortage of staff. It sucks for anyone left on your team, sure, but this is the real world man. You're about that age in which every professional comes to the realization that you need to look out for yourself, and no employer - no matter how sincere and kind they seem - deserves your devotion.

In the meantime a word of advice as someone who worked for a difficult employer for about a year when I was your age: learn to leave it all at the office / end of your workday. Learning how to simply not care about certain individuals and what they say will do wonders for your mental health. Let out your frustrations somehow, like maybe post here in the random thoughts thread about what a cock face your manager is once in a while, then unwind and forget all about them until the next day. Keep your conversations with them as curt and direct as possible.

Jaybe

Well guilty on the first one not sure if I'm guilty in the second one. I touched it up as recently as may when I started job hunting as I had the experience. I've gotten conflicting reports. Employers in college loved it but my friend recently said it was so-so. (Was mainly kind of joking giving me shit but also actually wasn't the biggest fan) But it's been reviewed and edited by professionals through college. Granted my two most recent one's and most important are all from me but I'm not sure. I think it's good.

As far as the other thing yeah I've exclusively applied to jobs I don't know anyone at come to think of it. But this doesn't seem to be holding back *some* of my friends and hell didn't even hold me back in college as I would get great offers with less experience and a less touched up resume so I'm not sure. If it makes any difference I only intensively seriously actively started the job hunt I'd say... 1.5-3 weeks ago? Before recently it's been very light and cursory.
Okay, you’ve just started the process so nothing to be too concerned about. It may take 3 months or so. Maybe less if you luck out right. I think you can and still should apply to jobs without knowing people, it’s just not going to yield as many interviews. But you are young and you have name brands in your resume so that’s going to get attention. There are so many more roles out there at this level in your career, so something will hit. If you have a friend in HR, see if they can give some constructive feedback On your resume to be safe. Since you wrote the last couple of roles, one thing that always stands out to me are at least some bullet points that discuss results you achieved especially if quantified. Too many people cut and paste the job description they applied to into their resume vs describing what they accomplished in the role. Good luck out there!

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Sometimes that bigger money isn't worth the extra bullshit. I had a couple friends that thought they were moving to super lucrative jobs, only to find themselves worked to the bone and making less hourly (but more monthly and annually) when looking at thier pay.

You have to be able to maintain a work life balance and nobody can compensate you for the stuff you miss because you are constantly working/on call.

With that said it's easier to job hunt and take rejection while you are already working, you can throw your resume out for positions you think you have no shot in hell at and if you get an interview and they say no, whatever.

The longer you go unemployed and watch those savings dwindle the more desperate the search becomes.

Just paper your resume everywhere you might be interested in, while you are still employed and see what comes your way.

Kagey K

Banned
I didn't see this part.

Every job I've had I haven't known anybody. It's better to go in with no strings (in my opinion) I don't know if I would ever accept or apply for a job because of a friend who works there.

That way you get in on your own merits and succeed without any baggage.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Just stop trying and go through the motions until that moving fee gets waived. Watch office space.
This
Had a similar situation where my $60k in Relo expenses had a two year contract with it. Even half assing it every day, in at 10 out at 3, still running circles around these fucking clowns. Once those two years were up I resigned mid day mid week and peaced the fuck out.

HoodWinked

you ever watch office space? you kind of just have to have that attitude and don't give a fuck about that job, while looking for a new job. if they fire you then collect unemployment. also I don't know how they would even make you pay back the $5000, maybe they can withhold your last paycheck at the worst, i wouldnt stress over it too much or have that be thing to keeps you there.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Stick through it until that 5k contract runs out, so you dont loose that money. Meanwhile continue searching for another job.
If you get a new one then great, of not then you at least you didn’t loose the 5k and also gathered some more savings to finally quit.

Winter John

Gold Member
I think i mentioned before how there was a time when I was so unemployable and disgusting I couldn’t walk into a bar or restaurant in Manhattan without the owner instantly chasing me out. I got kicked out of so many places for being drunk, stoned, stealing, fightin. I can’t remember how many jobs I’ve actually had. I don’t recommend going down that path but you know getting canned from one job ain’t so bad. Take a good look at your contract and see what you can get away with.

Catphish

I'd stick with the job until that $5k anvil over your head goes away. I don't know what your long-term career plans are, but in the meantime, while you grind out your time there, perhaps start studying up on what you'd like to do after. Maybe a tech cert or something. Use the pain of this job to fuel your focus for studying. Before you know it, the time will have passed, and now you can make a real move instead of burning through your savings. A $20k safety net is a nice thing to have. Don't waste it.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
actively look for a new job and sabotage the company as much as you can while you do so, but carefuly, so you dont get fired. Shitcos like this deserve it - seriously dude cause as much upheaval as you can. Tell clients openly how they are shitty, encourage them to go elsewhere, talk down about the managers as much as you can

Artoris

Gold Member
Half a year is not a very long time, take your time with your next move maybe even go study something and getter better type of job

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I know it's a meme, but learn to code and you will be fine. Especially if you desire remote job. It's still new industry, so not many suits outside of FA(M)ANG corporates.

ZywyPL

Banned
Keep coming to work but don't push yourself, work like a human and not an enslaved robot, chances are they'll fire you with a severance payment.

That's how I "quit" a shitty corpo job that made me depresssed, I just stopped overworking myself like it's my own company and my live depends on it and there's no tomorrow, and I stopped doing any overtime, which was on a daily basis, we never knew when we'll finish (actually, we knew it's gonna be 11-13h), plus another 6-8 on Saturdays. So 8h passed and I just left the desk and went home, and enjoyed my free weekends as well.

My manager and his deputy obviously noticed it after mere two weeks, I had a 1-to-1 meeting with them, of course they were as always trying to put the blame on me and make me feel bad about it, like the team needs me, the team cannot count on me, they have to stay even longer now, etc. and I said straight in their face that "well, I can't count on the team either, the FTE has been officially counted to be 24, you were so open about it multiple times, yet there's always only 14 of us, new job positions are nowhere to be found unless for replacement whenever someone quits, this situation is ongoing for years and obviously no one is doing anything about that and it's not going to change, and I'm simply tired of it, ultimately, this is not my problem, because this is not my company, I'm personally happy with my base salary for those 8h that are in fact in my contract, and I'll be doing as much as I can within those 8h but not a single minute more, so yeah, don't count on me" - their jaws dropped, and there was this brief silence before my manager squeezed "ohkaaay..." - like, he realized I just don't give a fuck about the job anymore, that his practices have no power anymore and he can't do anything (other than fire me), this moment was honestly so priceless, and at the same time a huuuge relief for me.

Two months later on the last day of January he invited me for another 1-to-1 (which I knew it was coming, I was expecting it and was actually pissed it took them two whole months), manager of the second team came as well, they told me I got the lowest possible score in the yearly performance review, they said it basically means they need to automatically fire me because of that, because that's the procedure, and that all my bad performance and mistakes will be pointed out in my certificate of employment, BUT there's another option, better for both sides - all the papers will be clean, I'll leave the company immediately, and I'll get compensation for those next three months I'd have to still work there before being truly fired. So that way they could immediately search for a replacement for me, instead of having me who would obviously care even less about the job now for another quarter. So I said "yeah, I also think this is a much better option, I'll take it".

We signed the papers, and just as I passed them a huuuge smile apprared on my face, because that's exactly what I was planning all along, knowing damn well that that's the company's practice, that they don't fire people just like that because it's a terrible PR and in longer term their stocks might even suffer, whereas during the whole meeting my menager turned super pale, was all shaking and barely could take a breath, while the other one turned red instead and she almost had tears in her eyes because they were firing me, their reactions gave me double the satisfaction honestly.

And if that wasn't enough, turned out there was a quite noticable salary raise starting this year, so I got the bigger salary for the whole January as well as bigger paycheck for those extra three months, so it all worked out even way better than I expected/planned. So all on all I left the company with a nice chunk of cash (plus prior savings), having that super stable and confident situation where I could live for many many months without having to worry about money, and I started job hunting, giving a pass to everything that felt suspicious or just straight up shitty.

Honestly, I have been fired several times in my life and it always had either neutral, or beneficial outcome, back in my late teens/early 20s I was super worried and sad because of that, but looking at it from a time perspective, it all just gave me a huge experience, now I know damn well what I don't want, what to avoid, what are the red falgs, and most importantly - to not to be aftaid of getting fired. Start looking for a new job if you feel the current one is a burden, but in the meantime just stop sacrificing yourself for a company that's not yours, has shitty managers/leaders/CEOs, because at the end of the day it's them who will feel bad that they're firing you before you'll be able to het a new job, because you're "just" coming to work every day and actually working, because that's what the reality is and they know it, wherevat the same time in their eyes you're "underperforming".

Honestly, just the fact that you had to vent it out on an internet forum means you should quit immediately, just screw it, even give them back those 5k and tell them to go fuck themselves, you'll look at it a few years from bow and you'll be super proud of yourself and your ballsy move.

EDIT:
Dammit, that turned into quite a long-ass lost, sorry. But I'm personally not a fan of content without context, so here we are :p I could share a few more similar stories but like I said - the point is - it's not your company, don't put it in front of your own personal life, and mental health.

Last edited:

Dark Star

get on linkedin and start spamming your resume to recruiters. apply to every job in whatever field you want to be in.

the market is hot, you can get a job. just beef up "embellish" your resume with key words and start talking to recruiters, pick up every phone call you get and start interviewing. you can do it!

Last edited:
I know it's a meme, but learn to code and you will be fine. Especially if you desire remote job. It's still new industry, so not many suits outside of FA(M)ANG corporates.

Meta recently released a course for front end and back end, which lets you access Meta's job board upon getting a passing grade

Probably the easiest and quickest path to coding if you go with the Front End course. I would add on learning Django and Ruby as well

4-6 months to learn + 3 months of projects on github

Last edited:

Kev Kev

fuck-fuckyou.gif

GeekyDad

EDIT:
Dammit, that turned into quite a long-ass lost, sorry. But I'm personally not a fan of content without context, so here we are :p I could share a few more similar stories but like I said - the point is - it's not your company, don't put it in front of your own personal life, and mental health.
Yeah, I'm gonna wait for the movie... <whew>

But I will say -- and please don't take this as condescension -- I truly mean this, I've tried the approach you initially mentioned, and it just never sticks for me. And I'm not even trying to get fired; I'm just trying to be reasonable with myself, considering my physical and mental health, my age, etc. But I just can't do it. It's almost like a momentum thing. I have to Jedi my way through the day, or I can't get through the day. Of course, now I'm on medical leave again because of it.

TC: I offer no advice to you, but I do wish you the best in figuring out your current ordeal.

MrMephistoX

$5000 like they gave you $5000 to cover moving expenses and you have to pay it back if you leave?
I quit a large publicly traded company before my year was up because it was shit and I got a better offer: all I got was a letter saying I was obligated to pay the bonus back: I just moved and ignored it. It’s more expensive for them to pay a lawyer to sue you than it is just to cut their losses.

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
Do you still have the $5000 in relocation they gave you? (Or whatever it was that given to you after tax)
I was in a similar situation where a company gave me a relocation package. I didn't spend a dime of that money and gave it back after I quit. It was a gut feeling when I started that I wouldn't last long and I was right.
It fucking sucked feeling duped but it led to better things ultimately. Keep looking forward and you're still in your 20s. And you definitely sound to be in a way better position financially than a lot of people are.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
comedy central GIF by Corporate

Glorified call centers and their BS...yeah. I completely understand the struggle. :lollipop_sad_relieved:

The ridiculous upper management teams at these places start taking everyone for granted in order to continuously raise earnings year after year; so much so that they transform places that used to be amazing to work at (say, CareMark for example) into hellish micromanaged pits of absolute depression and dispare where coworkers actually KILL THEMSELVES (true story, once they became CVS/CareMark). That place became a soul-sucking hellscape. It actually killed two people I know of while I was there, where at the beginning, we pretty much all loved our jobs and would even recommend to our friends to work there.

Places like that are not worth working at even in a supervising position. They are basically corporate greed centers that run people through a meat grinder for a few extra cents.

It's evil, and I believe any business that resorts to these practices is doomed to fail eventually. Either that, or they become soulless nearly fully automated machines, losing any true humanity and good will they ever had in the beginning. I pray my current job (which I absolutely love) does not become this.

I wish you all the best, A arkhamguy123 . You deserve far better. 💙

Last edited:
I quit a large publicly traded company before my year was up because it was shit and I got a better offer: all I got was a letter saying I was obligated to pay the bonus back: I just moved and ignored it. It’s more expensive for them to pay a lawyer to sue you than it is just to cut their losses.
Holy shit, you think I could do that? Mine is a private company. Financial firm. Big one, not sure if that makes a difference but honestly I've thought of this and had ideations like now how far would they reallyyyy go if I just said fuck you keeping the 5000. I wonder if I could do what you did?

Do you still have the $5000 in relocation they gave you? (Or whatever it was that given to you after tax)
I was in a similar situation where a company gave me a relocation package. I didn't spend a dime of that money and gave it back after I quit. It was a gut feeling when I started that I wouldn't last long and I was right.
It fucking sucked feeling duped but it led to better things ultimately. Keep looking forward and you're still in your 20s. And you definitely sound to be in a way better position financially than a lot of people are.
Yeah I do technically. I mean of course I've spent money since then on stuff ya know but like, I think of it like, take my current savings balance, and subtract 5000 and thats where I'd be without that. But interesting... You and others seem to advocate for just quitting and saying fuck it. I'm starting to think that may be a viable course of action.

Also there's no way a company as big as mine (everyone on this board has probably heard of it I'll just say that) would go that far for $5000 for 1/240 bitch ass phone associates when they pull 20 billion annually or whatever.

Last edited:
comedy central GIF by Corporate

Glorified call centers and their BS...yeah. I completely understand the struggle. :lollipop_sad_relieved:

The ridiculous upper management teams at these places start taking everyone for granted in order to continuously raise earnings year after year; so much so that they transform places that used to be amazing to work at (say, CareMark for example) into hellish micromanaged pits of absolute depression and dispare where coworkers actually KILL THEMSELVES (true story, once they became CVS/CareMark). That place became a soul-sucking hellscape. It actually killed two people I know of while I was there, where at the beginning, we pretty much all loved our jobs and would even recommend to our friends to work there.

Places like that are not worth working at even in a supervising position. They are basically corporate greed centers that run people through a meat grinder for a few extra cents.

It's evil, and I believe any business that resorts to these practices is doomed to fail eventually. Either that, or they become soulless nearly fully automated machines, losing any true humanity and good will they ever had in the beginning. I pray my current job (which I absolutely love) does not become this.

I wish you all the best, A arkhamguy123 . You deserve far better. 💙
Oh I'd believe it. The stuff I've heard from the mouths of people on my team sometimes... Let's just say it concerns me. And shame on any fucking company that is responsible and complacent in this shit including and especially mine. I wouldn't even want to work for them on the promotion after this thats supposedly soooo much better just on fucking principle. That's the carrot on the stick they dangle over us now "We know its hard but ooooh if you stick with iiiiit, ooooh the job afteeeer it sooo great so many career paths you can do anything here after this!" And I'm like fuck you even if I make it there will I have a shred of humanity or dignity left?

It's just awful. Even my last job made me sad on my personal time but to my memory not to this extent so much. Because the work was alright it was just so. much. of. it. This one its much less hours but the back to back to back to back phone calls while being patronized and condescended too and bitched out constantly. I want to just quit like next week honestly.

MrMephistoX

Holy shit, you think I could do that? Mine is a private company. Financial firm. Big one, not sure if that makes a difference but honestly I've thought of this and had ideations like now how far would they reallyyyy go if I just said fuck you keeping the 5000. I wonder if I could do what you did?

In my case I went from entertainment tech into health tech and fucking hated it and eked it out for 9 months so I only owed 3 months - tax anyway and decided I never ever want to work in healthcare again so I didn’t feel bad about burning bridges with HR. Your direct boss probably wouldn’t even know but chances of you getting marked ineligible for rehire at that firm might be high so that’s a risk to consider. If you don’t intend to work for them again it makes it easier. I wouldn’t even tell them because honestly it’s not even something that was brought up during my exit. I just got a letter a few weeks after quitting from HR and ignored it I didn’t make a scene.

Last edited:
I fucking hate micro managing.

Last time that happened to me in my team, I went straight to the department head and called a meeting to complain about it. Then threatened that mother fucker to go to HR if my issue doesn't get resolved.
A week later my team leader backs off micro managing me and is the kindest sweetest person in the office to me.

I don't play any games with anyone in the office space.
Fuck with me and there'll be consequences.

OP don't let people take advantage of you. If it's not in your contract, fight back.

Last edited:
It's that bad. BUT, when I came from my last job they snuck in a $5000 relocation contract which means I have to stay here for another like half a year or more until thats void and I can't fucking do it. It's hurting my mental health so badly in my personal life. But like, with that bullshit contract I'm fucked. Do I buy lottery scratch offs? Fundraise? What the hell can I do I can't take this anymore.
What happens if they fire your ass, does the $5000 come out of your pocket? If all else fails and you really want out of there, pull a Dave Chappelle:

quit-chappelle.gif

Spaceman292

Banned
our software tracks us minute to minute and if we are "out of adherence" for even 10 min we get chewed out.
Whoever invented this needs to be shot.

Anyway, my advice would be to redouble your job hunting efforts and just half ass it at your current place. Don't break the rules, just work slow and ignore whoever berrates you for it. What's the worst they can do?

Last edited:
Top Bottom