• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to de-gloss an Onyx DS?

RumFore

Banned
Uh this is just retarded. Why didnt you just get a white DSL istead of messing up a perfectly good DSL? I would think people would get a black DSL because it looks so damned good not to do stupid crap like that.

Crystalkoen

I really like the idea, although getting rid of the scratch lines would've been a high priority for me (really fine sandpaper zomg!). If I had the ambition to do so, I'd do this to my White DSL, just because I don't care for the appearance of the gloss.

Way to take a chance and have it pay off, Dice.

bumpkin

I kind of see where Dice was going with it -- the fingerprints on my PSP drive me nuts -- but yeah, I agree it was definitely crazy. I mean it could have gone seriously wrong and came out looking like absolute shit.

RumpledForeskin said:
Uh this is just retarded. Why didnt you just get a white DSL istead of messing up a perfectly good DSL? I would think people would get a black DSL because it looks so damned good not to do stupid crap like that.
he didn't like how slippy the surface was. this was as much about something he could grip as fingerprints.

i thought he was an idiot to try, but he did a great job and as i said before, i salute his nerves of steel.

guy deserves a 'got balls?' tag or something.

Stitchy

This isn't retarded at all.

If this person prefers comfort over looks of their DS, then it's his unit, and who cares if he sands the exterior, or covers it with those non-skid rubber daisies that you see in some people's bathtubs.

He bought the DS to enjoy playing games on it comfortably. Not to impress his geek friends with the exterior (correct me if I'm wrong on that point, Dice)

If he smashed the unit in tiny bits, then I'd might be able to understand some of the reaction here.

Furoba

plagiarize said:
he didn't like how slippy the surface was. this was as much about something he could grip as fingerprints.

i thought he was an idiot to try, but he did a great job and as i said before, i salute his nerves of steel.

"I made GAF cry"

RumFore

Banned
plagiarize said:

Slippy? What is he five or secretes grease? Give me a break. Stop eating ribs or whatever your eating that greases up your hands to the point a simple electronic is slipping out of your hands like your some dufus.

Ristamar

It looks alright at a glance, but upon closer inspection you can really see the scratches. Definitely NOT something I'll try. But, hey, whatever works for you...

I dealt with the fingerprint situation by buying the scratchproof body protector sold by bestskinsever.com. It's now like eleven bucks, but used to be cheaper. It can be tricky to put on, but it's totally fingerprint-resistant and offers unbeatable scratch protection. It's a great alternative for those of us who don't have the equipment or experience required to go the sanding route.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah so I got the My Nintendo stuff sorted out and registered it. Thanks Link.

Also, this isn't just about fingerprints and being slippery, I also thought the gloss was unbalanced with the other parts, now it all looks the same and that is pelasant to me. I really don't see what's so bad about changing the system from it's initial state. I also don't get taking absolute obsessive care to keep a handheld in perfect condition. I mean yeah it's good to take care of your stuff but this is by no means absuing it, it still works perfectly and it's not mangled or anything. Anyway, the nail file isn't really good for anything anymore, I may get some ultra fine grain wet sandpaper to finish off the back and further refine the rest.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Dice said:
Yeah so I got the My Nintendo stuff sorted out and registered it. Thanks Link.
You serious? Because I really did use the number. Maybe we did it within enough time of one another that Nintendo's database didn't recognize it as being used yet. In any case, it's win-win, I suppose.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Link said:
You serious? Because I really did use the number. Maybe we did it within enough time of one another that Nintendo's database didn't recognize it as being used yet. In any case, it's win-win, I suppose.
:lol you jackass, oh well

maybe one of us made a typo and it was actually another person's number :lol

Lee N

Membre
M3wThr33 said:
We have plans?
secretplans.jpg

usea

Doesn't look that bad to me. When you feel finished with it, post some more pictures. I definitely don't like the glossy plastic, either. It looks nice, but it's not for looking at. You touch it and grip it constantly.

Koren

I don't like glossy neither, I prefer matte and rubbery plastic. Result is quite good, but I must say I wouldn't dare doing such a thing. Good job...

FightyF

Banned
You know you've designed your electronics horribly wrong when your consumers start off by applying some sandpaper to it.

lachesis

you could have done just buying an acrylic dull coat spray....

and if you wanted your gloss back, you could just easily remove the coat with alcohol.

Flynn

Digg Commenter said:
For the unsuspecting ones, don't be fooled by that gaming forum's funny allure. Truth is, it is infamous for its censorship, group-think, intolerance to contrasting opinions, laughably abusive moderation and pathetically dorky posters that blindly kneel to them (as someone judiciously noted with the "pederast avatars" comment). It's sad that it has so much influence upon the Internet gaming community, really, but everyone in the know views it as a joke.

I'd vehemently recommend you NOT to become a member and to ignore the site altogether for your own good. There is so much dishonest elitism running rampant over there that the account validation process can take months anyway, and any free e-mail provider is instantly rejected.

It's kinda like when your favorite breakfast spot gets profiled in the weekly paper and you can't get a table any more.

castle007

Banned
E-Nature said:
Enjoy this for your viewing pleasure!
uglyds.jpg

:lol :lol

my god, somehow I have the same thoughts about the final result of that black DSL......

what the hell is this shit??

:lol :lol :lol

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
For the unsuspecting ones, don't be fooled by that gaming forum's funny allure. Truth is, it is infamous for its censorship, group-think, intolerance to contrasting opinions, laughably abusive moderation and pathetically dorky posters that blindly kneel to them (as someone judiciously noted with the "pederast avatars" comment). It's sad that it has so much influence upon the Internet gaming community, really, but everyone in the know views it as a joke.

I'd vehemently recommend you NOT to become a member and to ignore the site altogether for your own good. There is so much dishonest elitism running rampant over there that the account validation process can take months anyway, and any free e-mail provider is instantly rejected.

O P A ? Is that you?

Joe Molotov

WTF? I'll have them know my elitism is completely honest!

Joe Molotov

Cymbal Head said:
Ecrofirt seems like a good candidate:

olson2.gif

That really is a terrible avatar. :lol Every time I see, I kinda want to stab somebody in the face with the broken shards of a Full House DVD.

M3wThr33

Banned
adg1034 said:
You know, I wouldn't be surprised.
Or it could be someone just trying to get Digg users not to come to the site.
A slight majority of the commentors on the site are incredibly biased and it hurts it, thanks to the broken comment system where all votes are equal, and any group of fools can bury anything they don't agree with.
What killed it for me was a site that did a field test of 7Zip vs. WinRar and WinRar kicked 7Zips ass, but I already knew that because I did something similar months earlier.
Then Digg users voted it as inaccurate because 7Zip is free and the files the guy used were mostly already compressed. Like that f'ing matters between the two. 7Zip was slower, used a crapload more RAM and didn't perform even close in size, sometimes making the file bigger.
But as noted, the comments discussing the article were full of people defending the open-source program with their life, dissing WinRar for actually costing money and only being on Windows. (When there's a version for everything, even FreeBSD)
On top of that, the discussion got so heated, one person recommended we needed a break, some humor, so he recommended "a dose of Carlos Mencia." I replied that he is not even close to being funny and my comment was buried quicker than I could refresh.

Digg.com is full of rabid open-source humorless dorks.

lachesis

well, since it's already sand-papered - but I can still see the rough scratches. I suggest to go ahead and find 1000+ sand paper (3M), and start buffing a bit more for even smoother surface...

My DS, has gotten a bit of scratch here and there - as I'm just picking it up quick gaming and I end up just putting it in my bag - and my hinge also is already cracked - but I'm not worried too much at all. Handhelds are more apt to get dirty and scratched, but it doesn't mean it's not getting any love from me. (On the other hand, my PSP is ... freakishly still shiny from lack of usage. :()

andthebeatgoeson

Look ***, no hands!!!

To the OP, show some more pics. Different angles and all. We need to check it out some more and laugh at you.

Edit: O P A is banned? Haha

Top Bottom