• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to game as an adult?

Draugoth

Gold Member
How to game as an adult

You are either rich or you don't. Try winning the lottery, i guess that works.

I've never been busier in my life at the age of 34. But that doesn't stop me from making time for video games. If anything, I need them more than ever to give my mind and body a reprieve from my demanding job.

Honestly, i have been thinking of just killing myself if it means working 11 hours a day for the next 50 years. I dont even care about playing everyday like a terminmally online redditor, but having a demanding job sucks your soul.

Eotheod

Basically I push gaming to the weekend mainly. I live in a small outback rural town in Australia, so we don't really "go" anywhere persay, but we do definitely still keep busy enough. I just let my fiance know I wanna play for X amount of time and she usually goes off and plays her own games on the Xbox.

Granted, I will be having literal zero time soon as she is pregnant now, so son as the babies are born my time goes out the window. Granted, you figure out best times to fit it in. Just, don't fuck over sleep for it like others are suggesting. It is not worth the sacrifice at all, trust me. We aren't young anymore, sacrificing sleep is not an option.

Also, I've found I'm really enjoying mobile games now. Some really strong contenders too that offer quite deep RPG experiences, so I get my fill.

Problem is, games are SO fucking long and numerous. We all joke about backlogs, but it's true. It just continues to get bigger and bigger. I don't expect to make a dent in mine, but damn. I feel like I'm buying a new game before I've truly started the last one.
Stop viewing video games as a job instead of something fun to do in your spare time.

Stop buying new games until you have worked your way through most of your backlog, play one game at a time and stop playing multiplayer games.

All of that should help lol

You are either rich or you don't. Try winning the lottery, i guess that works.

Honestly, i have been thinking of just killing myself if it means working 11 hours a day for the next 50 years. I dont even care about playing everyday like a terminmally online redditor, but having a demanding job sucks your soul.

Depends, my recommendation is when you're younger do that sort of crazy output to get ahead, set yourself up and cruise on through life. I wouldn't do that sort of high demand job sustained for years/decades at a time, not healthy. So no need to off yourself mate, just work hard for a bit and then balance life around that to be happy for longer.

unlurkified

For peeps not yet married, I’d definitely recommend not trying to hide your passion for games from your girlfriend (at whatever stage of the relationship). Before you get married, make sure it’s known to her and that she accepts you for who you are, gaming passion and all. This way, her expectations should be realistic and she should respect your space, allowing you to game at least a moderate amount. Been married 16 years and have gotten barely any shit about it.

Moonjt9

I game after wife and kids are asleep. For two, sometimes three hours almost every day (or watch a movie). Sleep for 4-5 hours. For the most of the day I'm totally fine, mind's sharp and all, but the fatigue kicks in around 7pm. Thankfully, I just lie down and have a 15 minute powernap that energises me for the rest of the day. It's probably not healthy at all, but I'm fine atm. I played Starfield for 130 hours and that took me a month which is crazy, but I also had less work in September so I could play during the day now and then.
Holy shit it’s me. I imagine a lot of family men are in a similar pattern. Funnily enough, all my game time comes during the week and none on the weekend because there is too much family stuff to do on the weekend!

JayK47

Gaming as an adult means I am lucky to play for an hour a day. And even if I had time to play longer, I physically am no longer able to play that long. It literally pains me to play games for longer than an hour.

This might sound a bit counter productive, but I think it works for me.

Gamepass.

Sell everything, subscribe to a service. No backlog cause you don't own anything. Also, you can drop games at will if you are not enjoying them. Will streamline your experience and also will allow you to play new type of games that are not so demanding on your time.

Also since you are into story based games, i will ask you this question. If you have one hour to play games, what will you do?

1. Play 1 hour of Cyberpunk 2077. Traverse open world, do a quest, maybe watch a cutscene. Story beats are spread across 70 hrs so they are few and far between.

Or

2. Play 1/2 hrs of Party Animals. Have mindless fun. Watch 1/2 hrs of Breaking Bad. Have superior story experience. Usually each episode takes story forward and quality is extremely high.

Personally I would choose option 2.

Top Bottom