• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to measure everything using GameCube Unit (GC's)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I prefer the Dragon Ball Z System.
large.jpg

But I thought the PS3 had the power of Cell.

In this example, the PS3 is likened to the first form of Frieza, with a power level of 530,000.

530,000 / 230 (PS3 GFLOPS from the first post) comes to 2,304 power level per GFLOP, rounded.

This puts the GameCube's power level at about 21,600, which is roughly equivalent to Vegeta (18,000) and Nappa (4,000) duct-taped together, using their power levels at the time of the Saiyan Invasion of Earth.

Source:
http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_power_levels

This is a good post.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
This is my favorite thread of 2017 so far, thank you OP.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Since when was the Switch 300 GFLOPS when undocked? Isn't it way lower if we take Eurogamer's clocks into account?

nkarafo

FLOPs is a silly measurement unit anyway. It reminds me of flip flops.

img-thing

Who cares how many of these things duct taped together any device is? Gamecubes are better.

AmyS

Since when was the Switch 300 GFLOPS when undocked? Isn't it way lower if we take Eurogamer's clocks into account?

Agreed.

Switch
docked: 392 GFLOPS
undocked: 153 GFLOPS (normal)

Eurogamer's reported undocked higher performance mode would give it 196 GFLOPS
(therefore slightly more powerful than Wii U in raw FLOPs).

*not taking into account AMD's RV7xx architecture (from 2008) vs Nvidia's Maxwell 2.0 architecture (from 2014-2015)

All in standard single precision fp32
not going to touch the half-precision fp16 issue

What would cost more money : buying and duct-tapping 10 millions GameCubes or buying this supercomputer ?

From it's wiki page:
Cost: 1.8 billion Yuan (US$273 million)

You can get secondhand Gamecubes for about $50, for a total of 500 million dollars, so that would be nearly twice as expensive even discounting the duct tape.

Just for joking's sake, however, and assuming duct-taping meant "nearly free magical alien paralel tech that allows you to distribute computing tasks with no efficiency loss", I think the real kicker would be the energy costs of running 10 million gamecubes...

fantastico

I thought this was going to be about the volume of a GC so that we could express the volume of, say, a swimming pool in GC's instead of cubic metres. Mildly dissapointed.

936,301.5 to fill an Olympic sized pool (not including the GB player) so approximately the same number as the worlds most powerful computer

Xenoblade

I feel it's important that the type of duct tape used is specified, as surely one type of duct tape will provide better performance over another?

Outrun

That's a lot of duct tape.

Thanks OP for creating this thread, gave me a good chuckle.

I think that we should not discount the importance of the duck tape.

The calculations that the OP executes only works if one is using 3M duck tape, not some cheap dollar store knock off.

3939 Duck Tape: Accept no imitations.

3M-3939-Silver-Vinyl-Duct-Tape-1000px.jpg

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Wait a second. The original xbox had 20 gflops? So it was more powerful than Wii already back in 2001? Surely the wikipedia page I looked at must be wrong.

That is more than 2 gamecubes. Where did it all this spirit energy?!

Wait a second. The original xbox had 20 gflops? So it was more powerful than Wii already back in 2001? Surely the wikipedia page I looked at must be wrong.

The XBOX was pretty darn powerful, yeah. The Wii is pretty much just a souped up Gamecube anyways. However, FLOPS don't necessarily equate to relative real world performance, especially if you are comparing different architectures.

AmyS

Yeah the original Xbox, its GPU did 20 GFLOPs.

But this is not what Microsoft had originally told us. When Xbox was officially announced at GDC 2000, Bill gates said the graphics process would do 140 GFLOPs, and be clocked at 300 MHz.

If that had been true, even with the final GPU clock speed being significantly lower, at 233 MHz, it still should be over 100 GFLOPs.

enter Nvidia's funny math aka NvFLOPs. They added up all the non-programmable operations of their GPUs in those days, somehow equating them to FLOPS. No idea how they figured it, but the reality was, the final Xbox GPU was 20 GFLOPs by normal measurements (I guess the twin Vertex Shaders @ 233 MHz).

The 20 GFLOPs figure was mentioned in Dean Takahashi's book 'Opening The Xbox'

joesiv

Yeah but where does "secret sauce" factor into the gamecube unit of scale?

I mean, the Wii U had plenty of it for sure... and the switch's dock has at least 2x's as much secret sauce as the Wii U... maybe some multiplication factor?

Oh, and the Nvidia/AMD conversion, we need to remember that one, isn't 1Nvidia flop worth like 1.25 ATI/AMD flop (when it's convenient).

So with secret sauce and Nvidia, the switch is like nearing 1200GCU's or something right? lol

AmyS

I prefer to measure in # of SGI workstations or Sega Model 3 arcade boards.

i.e. GameCube is worth at least 6-12 Model3s :p

Also, I love seeing stacks of Gamecubes and SGIs

SGI logo - GameCube logo.

9OXd76Z.gif
AaVRk8x.jpg

AmyS

I think hardware T&L made its debut with the GeForce256 .. I think. Not sure if yhe TNT2 had it

You're right, the GeForce256 (NV10) was the first consumer graphics card / GPU to have transform & lighting. The TNT2 did not have it.

boxoctosis

I think we also need to understand how many GameCubes you could fit in the standard European measure of area, Wales.

Yeah but where does "secret sauce" factor into the gamecube unit of scale?

I mean, the Wii U had plenty of it for sure... and the switch's dock has at least 2x's as much secret sauce as the Wii U... maybe some multiplication factor?

Oh, and the Nvidia/AMD conversion, we need to remember that one, isn't 1Nvidia flop worth like 1.25 ATI/AMD flop (when it's convenient).

So with secret sauce and Nvidia, the switch is like nearing 1200GCU's or something right? lol

The AMD/Nvidia conversion has to do with how many FLOPS is needed by the AMD card to have the same frame rate as the Nvidia card. This conversion isn't absolute as it's complicated to take into account drivers and design differences. I wasn't aware of this 1.25 thing.

The GameCube used a unique GPU design unrelated to any AMD or Nvidia designs used in PCs. In that regard it is the perfect unbiased measurement! That's why measuring in GameCube Units is the best unit of measurement!

nkarafo

i.e. GameCube is worth at least 6-12 Model3s :p
This can't be right. A Model 3 is slightly less powerful than a Dreamcast. And that's only on paper. In reality, i think the Model 3 is a better polygon pusher, i mean look at Scud Race and tell me if there's anything on the DC that comes close.

Now the Dreamcast is less powerful than a PS2 or a Gamecube but i don't think there is a huge gap between them. It's something like "the PS2 is about 30-40% more powerful than a DC" and "the PS2 is about 20% less powerful than a GC".

So i don't think a Gamecube is more than 2 or 3 times more powerful than a Model 3. You underestimate the power of the Model 3.

joesiv

The AMD/Nvidia conversion has to do with how many FLOPS is needed by the AMD card to have the same frame rate as the Nvidia card. This conversion isn't absolute as it's complicated to take into account drivers and design differences. I wasn't aware of this 1.25 thing.

The GameCube used a unique GPU design unrelated to any AMD or Nvidia designs used in PCs. In that regard it is the perfect unbiased measurement! That's why measuring in GameCube Units is the best unit of measurement!

It was a joke :)

SystemUser

For many years since, Nintendo's following consoles have been arbitrarily measured in "GameCubes", leading to the joke that the Wii was "2 GC's duct-taped together." (In fact it was far less, as we will momentarily see.)

The Wii was a GC with a Genesis taped to the side. Who would think it was two Gamecubes? That is just silly.

Just tell me which console is Krillin.

Assuming the same point in Dragon Ball time as the 1 GC ≈ 1 Vegeta and Nappa duct-taped together calculation, the closest I could identify is the Nintendo DS.

http://kyokojap.myweb.hinet.net/gpu_gflops/ has the DS at 0.6 GFLOPS, while Krillin's power level at the same point in time as the above comes to about 0.77 GFLOPs. I think the DS is actually slightly closer to Yamcha at that point in time, oddly.

Krillin's power level when training for the arrival of the Saiyans is listed as 206, which comes to about 0.09 GFLOPS. This is pretty close to the low end for the N64 listed on the same website in the paragraph above, which lists it at 0.1~0.2 GFLOPS.

Hope this helps. I failed maths in school a couple of times so I might be off.

I think we also need to understand how many GameCubes you could fit in the standard European measure of area, Wales.

I tried to calculate it from the GC specs and Google's result on the area of Wales in square km, and got:

1 GC = 0.000000794797688 Wales

To explain this to the man on the Clapham omnibus, to cover an area the size of Wales in duct-taped GameCubes, you'd need to duct-tape enough GameCubes to make at least 2,815 PS4 Pros, leaving a bit of room for the space occupied by the duct-tape. This doesn't take into account leaving space for proper ventilation of the GameCube as specified in the manual, so you shouldn't attempt to play PS4 Pro-enhanced titles under these conditions.

Again, hope this helps.

Top Bottom