• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to Register to Vote!

• Thread starter Deleted member 20415
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Need to register to vote? It’s pretty easy: https://www.usa.gov/register-to-vote

Voter Registration Requirements and Deadlines

You are eligible to vote in U.S. federal elections if:

• You are a U.S. citizen.
  • You meet your state’s residency requirements.
  • You are 18 years old. Some states allow 17-year-olds to vote in primaries and/or register to vote if they will be 18 before the general election.
  • Check your state’s voter registration age requirements.

Voter Registration Deadlines:
In all states except North Dakota, you must register before you can vote. Registration deadlines vary. Some states close registration 30 days before the election, while others allow voters to register up to and on Election Day.

Find out your state's voter registration deadline for the general election.

Can I Register Online?

Easy redirect to your state: https://vote.usa.gov/

MANY states offer online registration,or easy mail-in registration:

Available in:
• Alabama
• Alaska
• Arizona
• California
• Colorado
• Connecticut
• Delaware
• District of Columbia
• Georgia
• Hawaii
• Illinois
• Indiana
• Iowa
• Kansas
• Kentucky
• Louisiana
• Maryland
• Massachusetts
• Minnesota
• Missouri
• Nebraska
• Nevada
• New Mexico
• New York
• Oregon
• Pennsylvania
• South Carolina
• Utah
• Vermont
• Virginia
• Washington
• West Virginia
• Wisconsin

Can I Register in Person?

You may be able to register to vote at public facilities. Check with your state or territory election office before heading to any of these locations:

State or local voter registration and/or election offices
The department of motor vehicles
Armed services recruitment centers
State and county public assistance offices (SNAP/food stamps, WIC, services for the disabled), where you may fill out and submit a National Mail Voter Registration Form.

What If I'm an Overseas Voters
If you are outside the U.S., you can get information online from the Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) or call an international FVAP hotline.

I'm Already Registered! What Can I Do?

Check or Update Your Voter Registration

It’s important to check and update your voter registration information before an election.

If your name or address has changed, you are required to update it.
If you want to participate in a Presidential primary, caucus or national convention, you may need to register with the political party of your choice.

If you don’t have your voter registration card, there are several other ways to make sure you’re registered and your information is accurate.

If you’ve recently submitted a voter registration application, you should receive a voter registration card within a few weeks. If there’s a problem with your application, you will be notified. If you don’t receive any response, check with your state or local election office.

If your state has online voter registration, you can usually check your registration status and information online.

Your state may have other ways to check. Contact your state or local election office to find out.

Voter Registration is by State

You MUST be registered in your state of legal residence. If you’ve changed states permanently, you must re-register in your new state. (Don't vote absentee, or say you're going to go back to your parents house to vote!)

You can’t be registered to vote in more than one place at a time. When you register to vote in a new location, you’ll be asked for your previous address. Your new election office will send a cancellation form to your previous election office.

If you’ll be temporarily away from home during the election, you can vote by absentee ballot with your state of legal residence. Examples of voters who’ve moved or are away temporarily include:
  • Military members stationed outside of their state of legal residence
  • Students attending college out of state
  • People on vacation or business trips

Note: A lot of this information was cribbed together with different sources. A few links may be outdated, but I'll update them ASAP if there's an issue.

Did this the other day, took me like 3 minutes. If that. I live in CA and chose the online option through the DMV.

You should really vote this year. Yes, you.

DOWN

Banned
I re-registered last week for my new address but in Florida it was annoying because you have to mail a signed form in to the office

Also why doesn't everyone just use the absentee mail-in ballot? Waiting in person sucks

Geg

I moved since the last time I voted (still same state & congressional district, but different city), is there like a separate form for a change of address or do I basically need to reregister?

obin_gam

All that sounds like a hassle. I feel for you AmeriGafs.
In Sweden you are automatically eligble to vote as soon as you turn 18 and have a social security number (which you automatically get if you're born or become a citizen).

Redd

I just registered one some time back because I was at the dmv for other reasons. Everyone knows you're gonna be there for a while. Might as well register.

It's strange how that very year was the first time I've ever got summoned for Jury Duty. Didn't get picked though and had to give my check to my job but I literally got paid to sit for four hours at the courthouse surfing the Internet. Good stuff.

DOWN

Banned
You can use mymove.com which is officially affiliated with the USPS to help you register as well

When I click on the Illinois site and go to "Am I registered to vote?" at the top it takes me to a screen where you enter in your info, except you can't entire in your info.

Sweet. But I live in Chicago anyway so my vote literally doesn't matter.

bgbball31

I am one of those terrible people that didn't ever register to vote because I find attaching jury duty to one of the most important things a person can do in this country obnoxious.

However, this election has shown me that it is time I drop that idea. Registered yesterday. Time for you to too!

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I'm not up on my Oregon voting laws, but regardless, this is all good info.

Don't shoot the well-intentioned messenger.

Help other people register too! Especially if you have immigrant families that recently naturalized!

Talk to friends and family and make sure they all are registered. Lots of those look up my registration can be used to look up voters registration of others you may know.

Note: some states require you to afirm you're only looking up your own status so double check that. Here's some swing states that to my knowledge don't have such a restriction

NC: https://enr.ncsbe.gov/voter_search_public/
PA: https://www.pavoterservices.state.pa.us/pages/voterregistrationstatus.aspx
CO: https://www.sos.state.co.us/voter-classic/pages/pub/olvr/findVoterReg.xhtml

Trouble

Banned
I guess I'm not up on my Oregon voting laws, but regardless, this is all good info.

Don't shoot the well-intentioned messenger.

Washington and Colorado too.

We might have been LTTP with mail in voting here in WA, but he had legal weed first, so suck it Oregon!
<3

DOWN

Banned
I am one of those terrible people that didn't ever register to vote because I find attaching jury duty to one of the most important things a person can do in this country obnoxious.

However, this election has shown me that it is time I drop that idea. Registered yesterday. Time for you to too!
Jury duty is selected from those who hold are driver's license or ID. Registering to vote doesn't increase your chance of selection so go out and register everyone!

In Sweden you are automatically eligble to vote as soon as you turn 18 and have a social security number (which you automatically get if you're born or become a citizen).

States are starting to do this.

Basically states still have laws dating back to jim crow that made it difficult to vote, we're fixing it!

rjinaz

Not yet! Still need to vote in person in all states!

Many states have mail in voting, including Arizona. Every state should really.

They call it early voting/absentee voting. Arizona is nice though because if you are registered they send you a letter asking if you would like to opt in for early voting. I'll vote from the comfort of my home yes, thank you very much.

Purkake4

Banned
This, automatic registration FTW.

Meowster

This is so incredibly important. Even if you know you are registered, you should still double check to make sure everything is correct. They can occasionally make mistakes that can screw you over come election time. Make sure you're in the right location, at the right polling station, be prepared (especially for some more R-leaning states that do try to suppress turnout - don't let them win).

Zoe

We get automatic eligibility too. Registration is to put you on the correct election roll as what you're voting for can vary from one block to the next.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
be prepared (especially for some more R-leaning states that do try to suppress turnout - don't let them win).

Boy is that true! In my neighborhood, there's a woman that actively tries to suppress renters. There are two big rental buildings, and for the last 3 years I've been challenged. She's a nasty, nasty Republican and she targets those two buildings has lists of everyone that lives in them.

I scream and holler at her every year, and tell her I've been in the neighborhood longer than her, and that she has no right to target renters (often minorities). Total B.S.

Don't give anyone an inch that questions you if you're a registered voter - democrat, republican or otherwise.

Meowster

This is so incredibly important. Even if you know you are registered, you should still double check to make sure everything is correct. They can occasionally make mistakes that can screw you over come election time. Make sure you're in the right location, at the right polling station, be prepared (especially for some more R-leaning states that do try to suppress turnout - don't let them win).
Like, for example, I've gotten voter ID cards before every single local election this year but I'm not showing up on the Missouri website just now. Going to have to make some calls and see what is up.

I'm registered to vote but in a town I no longer live, despite having submit several change of addresses, which they state is supposed to automatically update my registration.

Michigan sucks sometimes.

adj_noun

I have no idea why people in states that don't vote like WA and company aren't marching with pitchforks until they can vote the same way. The only thing I can think of is they just don't know about it.

Every time I see news about ridiculous lines to vote it looks like footage from another planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom