• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Total Warhammer has been optimised. Using multi threading of CPUs.

First post is best post.

We’ve also switched up the Total War engine from 32 to 64-bit. While this brings no tangible performance benefits, we no longer have the 32-bit restriction of a maximum of 2GB of memory devoted to processes.

Prrretty sure that's 4GB, not two.

I know a YouTube embargo lifts today, so reviews might be included in that. But yea in general strategy games aren't popular on gaf and most people into them are only cautiously optimistic about this one. I don't no shit about warhammer, but this will hopefully be my first total war since shogun 2.

PhaZZe

Banned
mV9bFz7.gif

this is great, everygame should be optimized for hyperthreating

As far as I know, unless the application is large address aware, a 32 bit application can only access up to 2GB of memory. If it's large address aware, then it can access up to 4GB.

Just checked this, yeah. Weird that CA hadn't bothered to make the modifications necessary to safely set that flag since they stayed at 32bit for so long
not really, we're talking about CA here.

karnage10

Banned
i pre-ordered the game and i have my fingers crossed so it won't be an empire/rome 2 launch. That said my laptop is below specs and i'll be buying a new desktop in august so hopefully the game will have some patches launched by then.
i have seen a lot of questions about the chaos warriors DLC, it has changed from a pre-order bonus only to it's free for 1 week to any buyer.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
It's weird that on Gaf, the hype for this game is almost non-existent judging by the post count in threads on the subject, but outside Gaf it's pretty hotly anticipated.

OT this is great news, hopefully my 6-core CPU will help run this like butter.
My most anticipated game in months

My most anticipated game in months

Yea it's a bit of a weird one for me, on one hand a fantasy Total War game is something I have wanted for for a long time and I'm genuinely excited for it but on the other hand CA have really let the ball drop in several areas with their most recent games. To straight up lying about Rome 2's ai and their exploitative dlc practices, it makes it hard to believe whatever they say about their Total War games. Which is a pity because I want to love them.

It's weird that on Gaf, the hype for this game is almost non-existent judging by the post count in threads on the subject, but outside Gaf it's pretty hotly anticipated.

OT this is great news, hopefully my 6-core CPU will help run this like butter.

Probably because each new Total War that gets released becomes the last straw for different people. I quit after Rome 2.

rsniper59

Neo Member
I kinda don't like the modern TW games - they added way too much micromanagement into them compered to first titles where whole economy was based on provinces without needing to chase small enemy units that occupied your production site.

I very much agree with this, and it's why I often find myself re-installing the first M:TW often and playing that game, when I have M:TW2, Empire, and Shogun 2 in my library as well. I still love the later entries, but I really enjoyed the almost Risk-esque structure of the world map, and how fast/easy it is to move your troops around to where you need to go.

Having to watch the walking animations for every single set of units or agents (even if they can be sped up) makes the campaign painfully slower, counteracting some of the really amazing advancements they've made in the games.

Is anyone making an OT for this? I checked the volunteer thread but I didn't see any claims.

I think Empire is my favorite currently, for the time period and how it straddles modern TW vs. older TW.It's also their most ambitious title besides maybe this one. I don't care for Shogun's setting and that's the prime factor in what I consider my favorite. I love Medieval II as well (the religion aspects are awesome) but it's a little to dated for me. I would love Medieval III.

What kind of stress? What do your voltages look like?

Err I meant RealBench's full stress test actually. and for my voltages...i'd have to double check but when I got my PC and was OC'ing I was in the PC thread a lot getting help. i have a liquid cooler so my temps are generally really good. its an Asetek something or other. i forget the exact one. i don't really find a "need" to OC further in any game i play so far tho.

Well, it's scoring/reviewing very well thus far.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/total-war-warhammer/critic-reviews

So, sounds like it's worth checking out if you got the hardware for it.

As for performance, here's a guy running the game on a GTX 970 at ~40 FPS with Ultra Presets & a i7 4770K CPU and 16GB of RAM. He said he has had no crashes after 30 hours of gameplay thus far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb5zNmolLbE

He said you can get around 60FPS with the 970 using HIGH presets instead of Ultra.

Top Bottom