• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you rate this Nintendo Direct (06/21)?

How would you rate the Nintendo Direct?

• 1 - I would rather be penetrated by a Cactus

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 2 - It was the worst showcase of the year

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • 3 - It was mediocre

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • 4 - It was bad

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • 5 - Not Good. Not terrible.

Votes: 22 16.1%
  • 6 - It was good!

Votes: 27 19.7%
  • 7 - It was great!

Votes: 23 16.8%
  • 8 - It was amazing!

Votes: 26 19.0%
  • 9 - It was the best showcase this year

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • 10 - Bang me Nintendo- sama

Votes: 8 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Saber

Gold Member
Solid 9. Lot of titles I'm interested and probably gonna pick day one.
Even some silly games can't reduce the amount of joy I have for Pikimin and Dragon Quest Monster.

Sojiro

For me, an easy 9, lots of stuff I will be picking up:

Mario Kart DLC
Pikmin 4
Super Mario Wonder!
Metal gear solid collection
Star Ocean
Persona Tactics
Mario RPG
2D princess peach game
Dragon quest Monsters

That is a lot of games to pick up, granted I knew about Pikmin 4 and figured we would see more Mario Kart DLC, but still, a lot to look forward too.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Somewhere between good and great. Lots of fun announcements but also sick of the "HD remake!" stuff.

.... HD was something that was interesting when I was playing my Xbox 360 and PS3 15 years ago. Not so much now.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It was great. I was expecting a little Metroid Prime 4, simply because I felt it had been long enough since they last mentioned it.. other than that it was terrific.

Fake

8 for me. Was a long time I never give any Nintendo Direct a good rate.

Kudos to them. Now take my score.

Last edited:
Mario RPG and Luigi’s Mansion Dark Moon salvaged it. Overall it was a bit weaker than I was expecting. But we are nearing end of cycle for Switch, and clearly they are holding out on the heavy hitters for new hardware.

Nautilus

Banned
Great, mostly due to Super Mario RPG and Super Mario Bros Wonder. But it was, as we feared, very port heavy. Suggesting that indeed the Switch is most likely in its last year(That doesn't share with another console).

This direct probably also confirms that Metroid Prime 4 will at least be cross gen.

It was great. I was expecting a little Metroid Prime 4, simply because I felt it had been long enough since they last mentioned it.. other than that it was terrific.

Given that we haven't heard anything since development restarted, it was extremely unlikely MP4 would be a Switch game. Considering we've heard nothing since, I expect it to be a launch window game for the next console. Either launch date or holiday of that year (along with a new Mario Kart, most likely). Nintendo knows you need a strong launch exclusive to ensure success of your new console, especially given how strong the Switch has performed. There would be a lot of "why would I buy that when I have a Switch already?" or "I'll hold off until _____".

I am thinking we hear an official announcement of new hardware around the September event, launch in March, and we finally get some real footage of MP4 to go with it.

Codes 208

mario rpg remake and the new 2d game won me over.

Not their best direct but probably the best of the big three (which wasnt that high of a bar imo)

Shifty1897

It makes sense now why Baten Kaitos 1 and 2 Remastered didn't get featured in the Direct, most of the games were remakes or remasters.

kevm3

B+

The new super mario looks great. The 2d sonic looks cool. Pikmin 4 is day one buy for me. Super Mario rpg remake is dope.

Compared to some of the other conferences I've seen from the other manufacturers, it spanks them sadly enough.

Gotta go with an 8. I feel like they have a solid line-up for 2023 even if not all titles appeal to me. And best of all is that most of these games are releasing this year or the next. Not some theoretical games that might happen in 5 years.

tkscz

A serviceable 7.

There were stuff that I really enjoyed but felt it leaned too much on 3rd party stuff and their big announcements weren't that big.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder was a great way to end it and the Super Mario RPG remake took my breath away, but nothing else blew me away.

Also stop giving spots to Just Dance.

Kataploom

Gold Member
It was great, but Nintendo don't tend to announce games too early, therefore I voted just "good" because they announced two games for 2024 TBD.

I love re-releases, I hope the industry keep the trend since I've played stuff I couldn't have played otherwise. Amazing.

It was the worst showcase barring Capcom (which I don't really count)

Nothing in that direct other than the 2 new Nintendo games, pikmin4 and the new Mario should cost anything over $20
You broke pal?

RIP any hopes of Metroid Prime 4 being a Switch title. Unless it sneaks in first half 2024.

At this point I’d say it’s fairly safe to assume it’s a launch title for new hardware, or at the very least a cross-gen game.

Mr Hyde

6/10

Arkham trilogy, Star Ocean second story, MGS trilogy (and NES games!) Luigi's Mansion 2, Super Mario RPG and Wonders were some cool shit. Getting everything.

Little Mac

Gold Member
6/10. Nintendo needs to announce new hardware for me to care. Super Mario RPG was cool though. Still no Metroid Prime 4 news ... it's been over 6 years since they revealed the logo.

Astral Dog

For me it was a 5,enjoyed finally seeing a new 2D Mario,but not much else

No DK,Metroid or anything shocking.

However it makes me wonder what they have planned for September

Mozza

This direct pretty much indicates most of Nintendo's internal development is focused on their next hardware, a nice solid presentation but not much from Nintendo, outside of ports and rehashes of older games, plus the obligatory third party input, and DLC for existing games etc, and of course Pikmin, which we already knew about.

Pretty much expecting a Switch 2 announcement early 2024.

Last edited:

LakeOf9

Fine. not terrible.

The Mario stuff looks great, and Pikmin is fun. That Pikachu game is the first Pokemon game that has looked interesting to me ever. MGS being on Nintendo is funny.

Not much else to talk about.

Vandole

The Dragon Quest Monsters announcement was really all I needed. We haven't gotten one in that series in over a decade, so I'm looking forward to it.

Mario Wonder and Super Mario RPG are nice to see too.

That's enough to get a 7 out of me.

Thabass

Super Mario RPG and Star Ocean 2 Remakes did it for me. The Super Mario Acid Tri..err..Wonder trailer put it over the top. 8/10.

nordique

Honestly surprised no persona 3 remake

I didn’t follow the rumours so Mario rpg remake did it for me. Completely unexpected and amazing

Last edited:

jcorb

I'd say this Direct was pretty fucking great! In fairness, Super Mario RPG is something I would have NEVER expected to get a remake, but that's super freaking exciting!

I *will* say the character models for Mario, Peach, and Bowser seem... a bit flat and "plastic" looking. Maybe it's because I love the OG art style for that game so much, Bowser in particular looked a bit odd. I hope they'll consider adding some new optional content, like maybe Yoshi becoming an optional team member if you complete everything on Yoshi's Isle, something like that. The Boss theme felt a little less sinister than I was hoping, but otherwise the soundtrack sounded great!

The new Mario game, "Super Mario Bros. Wonder", looks... interesting. It does feel like a *slight* evolution of the New SMB aesthetic, which I'll be honest I always found a little bland, but the adding facial animations add some personality for sure. Seems surprising to lean so far into the "trippy" aesthetic, but could be fun. I do wonder, though, is Charles Martinet is still voicing Mario? His voice at the end seemed noticeably different, but maybe they're just trying to capitalize on the movie? I still haven't seen it yet, but I still have my reservations about Mario's voice from the trailers.

The Metal Gear Solid collection looks great, although I'm a bit surprised by the seeming omission of VR Missions, and wondering if MGS2 or MGS3 will include content from their later versions? I also wonder if we'll ever see Twin Snakes re-released.

Actually a bit shocked there wasn't DLC announced for Tears of the Kingdom. I felt like the timing was right for that.

All in all, I'm honestly just SUPER jazzed about the Super Mario RPG remake. I hope it's able to retain its humor and charm. Booster was hands-down the best part of that game, I worry the graphics seem a little too "clean". Oh, and I definitely noticed Valentina's boobs *didn't* jiggle when she took damage; just a dumb little detail I sort of hope they add back.

Gobjuduck

Banned
7, not the best show of the summer. But new Mario games are always exciting. More dragon quest! but the game looks mid/early so far.

Could have used Zelda ww+tp or xenoblade x port

Nico_D

Not their best. There were some big names for sure but I remember not really liking Dark Moon on 3ds (whether it was the game or just my dislike of 3ds, Idk). Pikmin 4... sure if the quality is still there. The new Mario, probably unless it is just more chaos.

Top Bottom