• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Would You Rate Your PS4 Pro?

How Would You Rate Your PS4 Pro?

• 10/10

Votes: 23 13.5%

Votes: 12 7.1%

Votes: 17 10.0%

Votes: 16 9.4%

Votes: 26 15.3%

Votes: 19 11.2%

Votes: 18 10.6%
  • 6.5 and below

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • Zero

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Other Choice

Votes: 7 4.1%

• Total voters

Humdinger

I gave it an 8.0. I'm judging it mostly on hardware, although I can't ignore the games.

+ some of the games look as good (to me) as any 4K game I've seen, e.g., Horizon.
+ hardware is a decent step up from the base PS4
+ improves PSVR
+ great exclusives

- Only half the pixel-pushing power as the X
- No 4K blu ray player
- usually can't do 4K
- It doesn't take full advantage of my 4K TV

Last edited:

Bl@de

Loud, not powerful enough, very disappointing launch (no supersampling, few patches etc. Only changed because of the XB1X)

Overall a 5/10 for me. The X is far superior when it comes to hardware.

TacosNSalsa

I gave it an 8. I traded in my base PS4 ,which was probably on it's way out, for about 250 so I only paid 150 for it..I play on a 1080p 24in. monitor so I really don't see much difference , even with supersampling mode on. Things might run smother on the pro than on a base ps4 but with no direct comparison I can't really tell. There are games that do offer options like perfomance/graphics/resolution mode but don't know if that specific to the pro or not .

I can't really put a number on it, but it's definitely not as good as my X1X.

I feel similar to Bl@de's post above.

I mean, it works for what it is and is good on certain games, but on most I'd rather just play them on my X1X.

I have a few titles on both due to having friends on both systems but where possible I prefer the X1X. Doesn't mean I don't use the Pro, it's just mostly when I'm playing with friends on it, otherwise it's always the X1X (with friends and solo play).

I like my Pro despite its issues.

It’s not as powerful as the X but most of the games look just as good to me.

The console is ugly though. I much prefer the look of the Slim. Plus it’s loud.

I’m a PlayStation guy though so it’s whatever.

Last edited:

DonF

I'm just bothered by the sound it makes in some games, both the fan and the BR drive are super loud. Besides that, it dramatically improves the image quality of games. I know its less powerful than the xb1x but my playstation library of games wins over a minor difference in res.
A solid 9.5 for me.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Besides being loud, there is nothing to complain about. Got it day one, extra year if games and patches means less base games to deal with.

Catphish

The boost is appreciated, but woefully underutilized. Not really worth the extra money and hassle upgrading from the PS4.

First and last .5 console i ever buy.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
7.5. For what was supposed to be the premium box, I don’t feel the quality of the hardware is up to snuff. Too loud, black screen issues, PSVR breakout box incompatibility. Considering what
Microsoft stuffed into the X and how well they did it, the PS4Pro isn’t as good as it should have been. On my 4K screen, the Pro helps get the most out of it, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t occasionally regret buying it.

HeresJohnny

I gave it an 8.5. I had a large number of points on my Sony credit card, so I got mine for free. I'd have never jumped in otherwise. I don't plan to buy a 4k tv for at least 2 or 3 years (my 60 inch 1080p is just fine and not nearly old enough to warrant replacing). If I'd have paid for it that number would be a point lower, and if I'd bought a new tv, it would be 3 points lower. The cost of entry just isn't justified for the rez increase (for either of the mid-gen consoles) although the Pro doesn't cost any more than the PS4 did at launch, so if someone was jumping in for the first time and not paying to upgrade the original PS4 or their television, my score would revert to an 8.5. Neither of the mid-generation consoles are a very good value because they're going to be dead in less than 2 years, so the money isn't being really well spent regardless, but especially in the X's case, since its exclusive library is a lot less robust.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

The boost is appreciated, but woefully underutilized. Not really worth the extra money and hassle upgrading from the PS4.

First and last .5 console i ever buy.
I think even some people who are happy with theirs are going to be pissed to see it tossed aside in favor of new hardware in just a year or so. These systems are going to have extremely short life cycles.

Trogdor1123

It's pretty good, gave mine a 7. I suspect it's not truly being utilized though as games really aren't that different in most cases.

seems pretty good i guess. slight improvement in some games, usually notice faster loading.

biggest reason i like it is because i live stream directly from my ps4 rather than using a capture device through a laptop, so og ps5 was 720p but Pro is 1080p. seems pretty high bitrate too.

kinda expensive for marginal improvements but felt i could justify it by not having to a buy a better laptop and capture device for same streaming capability.

maybe 7/10... if, for comparison, a One X probably a 9 I guess. from what I've seen, think the X looks the better value. Pro seems decent but marginal. but i mean, if the games you want are on the Pro then the standard ain't the X it's the og PS4.

really comes down to 'which games' ... TBH when you're talking about games that have dips into 25ish range for frame rate, a la GTA5 or XCOM 2... the Pro getting 4-5 extra FPS at times may seem marginal but i can't imagine going back to the OG anymore. i'd say it depends on the game. if you play a game where it really helps it lock into around 30 FPS, and you play that a loooot... i'd say get a Pro.

gonna play GR Widlands for 200-300 hours... or GTA Online for a long time? I'd say invest in a Pro. games with so-so performance like XCOM 2? yeah, maybe.

but something like MGS V, no... it was already fine and I really notice no different (I think it got a Pro patch but it's incredibly marginal). so... consider the games you'll play on it, i guess.

that's all assuming you own an og. if u got neither, definitely spend a little extra and get a pro i'd say.

Last edited:

TFGB

It loses a couple of marks due to the lack of a 4K spinner, the noise level from the fans occasionally, and those CE-34878-0 errors.

Fbh

Got mine for "free" (it was a gift card for an electronics store I got from work) so I can't complain too much but had I paid for it I would have been disappointed.

I find the difference in most games to be neglectable, the sort of "upgrade" you only really see by quickly switching back and forth between comparison pics and it seems like most games just get a basic 1440p upgrade with the more demanding ones having a dynamic resolution that tops at 1440p.
It's also disappointing that Red Dead 2 almost seems to look better on the base Ps4.

The biggest visual upgrade to ps4 games was HDR and you get that on a base Ps4.

And If I'm allowed to be salty for a bit. I look at the Xbox One X and that's the sort of device I wish the Pro had been even if t was more expensive. Real upgrades with games looking notoriously sharper, cool backwards compatibility that makes old games look much better, 4K bluray, hardly any bigger than the "base" console.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
6/10
No 4K Blu ray
Super loud

I only use it for Sony exclusives after getting an X. I’d add a few points back on if the fan wasn’t so loud. I hate the noise that much.

Last edited:

spacedublin

Neo Member
8/10 id say.
I just like having a ui that makes sense and is clean and easy to use and sony gives me that on top of an easy to use menu when i hold the PS button. Simple and clean is key.
Its loud sometimes but that doesnt bother me, my laptop fans are louder. It is a tough piece of hardware so traveling with it is nice, although its a bit heavy.
I traded in my original ps4 for the pro so i am happy with it (got it about a year and a half ago), hooking it up to a 4k tv is easy and doesn't require me to touch any settings which is nice.
Has a 1tb hdd built in, bought a 2tb external so i have plenty of space for the massive library of games i have purchased and for all of the ps+ games i have amassed over the years.
Streaming 1080p 60fps built in is nice too even though most games dont run 60fps on it.

Ps4 as a whole about 9/10 the pro I think 5/10....sorry this might sound brutal

The build quality of this generation of playstation consoles can be measured in how many jet fighters my neighbor thinks I have parked in my loungeroom

They had the opportunity to fix this issue and deliver people a meaningful mid generation upgrade over the base ps4.....instead we got a half step console marketed as a 4k console but it could not actually deliver 4k.

Game wise its flawless but has always felt like it was not really worth the upgrade

gspat

I give mine a 7.

Games work great.
VR works great.
Fans are quiet.
Censorship concerns me.
Occasional network issues with no lan cable connected error.

Last edited:

danielberg

Neophyte
I graciously Voted a 7... i expected actually at least 1080p/60fps from new games what i mostly got was dumb developers trying to push 4k 30fps locked which they miss and a option of dynamic resolution and variable frame rate ~45 which makes games unplayable because it randomly speeds up and slows down some devs truly think "having higher resultion some of the time is more important than consistently 1080/60fps" ughhhh.
You have some games like FF15 in which the framerate option is sooo stupid variable its laughable and the only other option is the "high quality" which gives you framerate and framepacing issues so the literal standard console edition 30fps mostly locked ends up being superior to the pro edition, i mean give me a break?!
The only saving grace is that i like psvr and for that its pretty nice and that it plays demanding games like god of war while being more silent than my standard launch ps4.

Last edited:

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I gave it an 8

It's too loud for my taste but I love the upgraded games on a 1080p screen.

The one time I had a 4K TV for a brief period the ghosting infuriated me so I took the TV back and went back to my 1080. But yeah, overall I appreciate the boost in games.

mejin

PS4 was the most balanced hardware I've ever seen for a new gen. That's the main reason for this score. It's way more difficulty to appeal when the original hardware was and still is so damn good. I remember the concerns about the quality of the big games on PS4 OG after PRO launch and nothing really changed. Games are still good on PS4 OG and is not a surprise is still selling like crazy.

Bankai

8.5/10 it's my first and only PS4, but I love it on my 1080p display. I've lived through some of the best gaming experiences on this console.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The score seems silly and arbitrary, but it's a great console, it's just way too fucking loud (original model) and I'm not about to buy the new model just to counteract that. If it's confirmed that PS5 will be fully BC with PS4, I'll be trading in day 1.

chaosaeon

Not great. Mine has one of the loud fans they for some reason put in some of them (delta iirc), I've taken really good care of it and it already makes clunking sounds while a disc is in like it's repeatedly trying to read it before refusing to read discs and saying they are unrecognizable. It will only read discs now if you take two fingers and firmly hit down on the top cover on the lower left side where the disc sits. Otherwise, no discs for you. So basically the build quality on mine is anything but premium.

Edit : Oh and the number of games that do nothing or skate by on the bare minimum for Pro is so disappointing with things like no Pro support for a pile of exclusives like Bloodborne, Driveclub, Until Dawn, The Order, and recently the checkerboarding on RDR2 making the Pro version blurry af on Pro and with no real HDR.

Last edited:

meirl

Banned
Louder as a fucking jet engine. And not Even real 4K. Only this fake crap that looks like shit on my 75“ 4K TV.

Still don’t know why they even released this half-assed shit. Can’t even do native 4K on RDR2. Pathetic.

TLZ

Banned
For its price it does as intended. Simple and straight to the point UI. Great games. My issues are loud fan sometimes and hardly to no BC (can't put old discs and play, and their PS2 bc in the store, which you have to buy to play of course, stopped I think).

All in all a solid 9. Lost points for the mentioned above.

Last edited:

Three

It's a decent console for what I expected.
Not great. Mine has one of the loud fans they for some reason put in some of them (delta iirc), I've taken really good care of it and it already makes clunking sounds while a disc is in like it's repeatedly trying to read it before refusing to read discs and saying they are unrecognizable. It will only read discs now if you take two fingers and firmly hit down on the top cover on the lower left side where the disc sits. Otherwise, no discs for you. So basically the build quality on mine is anything but premium.

Edit : Oh and the number of games that do nothing or skate by on the bare minimum for Pro is so disappointing with things like no Pro support for a pile of exclusives like Bloodborne, Driveclub, Until Dawn, The Order, and recently the checkerboarding on RDR2 making the Pro version blurry af on Pro and with no real HDR.
Could hardly blame the PS Pro for that. It doesn't have real HDR on X1X either. It's not the consoles fault. even launch base PS4 has HDR support the game just didn't do it right on any console. If the game actually supported it you would have HDR support on every console, except launch XB1, you wouldn't even need a pro.

Last edited:

Doczu

Solid 9

I jumped directly to the Pro, got the first revision and i'm happy with the console and it's capabilities.
It isn't as loud as people claim, but maybe it's the revision and the fact that i owned a Dreamcast and 360, and these weren't quiet as well.

I'm only having issues with the battery life in the controllers - going from the pro controllers from the Wii U this is a serious step down.

Last edited:

Ozrimandias

Im happy but two thing pisses me off

- Sound like an airplane sometimes, in fact i prefer using headphone, just to not listen that sound, and my dog snoring.
- Lag in the OS

Everything else its just fine.

Boss Man

HDMI issues ruin it for me. Have to mess with the settings to keep the screen from eventually flickering, which doesn't happen from any other source.

Oh and it's ugly as hell.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Had to give it a 9, as its better than my original PS4 which developed the annoying disc-eject bug. Otherwise I'm very satisfied with its performance, with the caveat that the fan noise can be somewhat disconcerting at first when it occasionally kicks it up to full.

I generally game using headphones though, so not really an issue for me

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I give it a 9 in terms of how much I have enjoyed the benefits, but I give Sony and their support and promotion of it a 2. The games that take advantage of the consoles extra processing power look absolutely amazing.

My hope is that MS and Sony would use their mid-gen refreshes as a way to discontinue their base models so that the Pro and the X become the base model.

Last edited:
Top Bottom