• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Xbox fans inspired a fan-centric culture at Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wedzi

Banned
Scorpio and all further Xbox consoles will act as PCS and run any PC game. Since the system hardware is closed Pc developers will be able to give their games 'Xbox console' default video settibgs.

I am making this up but it's the only way I see them moving forward.

Not a bad way to move forward tbh

Toki767

Microsoft must be so happy they can constantly talk about family sharing and all that stuff they talked about wanting to do prior to the 180.

Even though nothing is stopping them from doing it now.

Hycran

Banned
You know what is even more fan-centric? Releasing games that people might actually want to play. Unless the Scorpio can program its own games, they might want to focus on making something other than Forza or Halo...

Jumeira

Banned
More accurately, "how getting our ass handed to us by Sony made us actually listen to gamers and do some changes with limited investment"

1. Neither console was released in regards to missing the point with fans as mentioned in his article (Always online)
2. Announcment BC was key moment and a reminder of the need to commit to the Xbox fanbase, nothing to do with Sony (they don't do BC)

Nice humble words from him, and any fan of Xbox would find his views encouraging. BC, Play Anywhere...next will be what? OG Xbox BC? The tone and reminders Yusef is laying out seems like they're brewing something else formits fanbase outside of the obvious Scorpio reveal.

Ratros

Does Microsoft begin to send all its senior staff to PR training sessions now? They all seem to have mastered the skill of saying a lot while not actually meaning anything.

Sydle

Yusef is saying all the right things and it's apparent he finally did some much needed reflection on what they did wrong in 2013 and accepted they could have done things differently. For the longest time it seemed like he kept blaming the market for misunderstanding what they were doing.

In any case, I believe they won't get a chance to really turn things around until the generation reset in a few years and I just don't believe the Windows leadership team is going to let Xbox have that much time to rebuild everything they need to in order to compete. It seems like their expectations in return are set to very short windows of time regardless of the circumstances and how the industry works, so I just don't think Yusef's sentiments here will survive long enough to make a material impact.

Weird pushback on a harmless article lol.

I mean, did you expect anything else?

Article is fine and dandy, but they need to bring the goods come E3, with the smallest E3 hall this year out of the big 3 (not sure if that is an indication of anything) will be interesting to see what they do. Still very excited for Scorpio though.

statham

Yusef is saying all the right things and it's apparent he finally did some much needed reflection on what they did wrong in 2013 and accepted they could have done things differently. For the longest time it seemed like he kept blaming the market for misunderstanding what they were doing.

In any case, I believe they won't get a chance to really turn things around until the generation reset in a few years and I just don't believe the Windows leadership team is going to let Xbox have that much time to rebuild everything they need to in order to compete. It seems like their expectations in return are set to very short windows of time regardless of the circumstances and how the industry works, so I just don't think Yusef's sentiments here will survive long enough to make a material impact.

I get the opposite feeling, how hes excited about E3 and how the fans will take it.

Toki767

I get the opposite feeling, how hes excited about E3 and how the fans will take it.
The last part that was quoted in the OP makes me wonder if they're going to announce another consumer friendly program at E3.

Kind of like a "We may not have as many new games to announce as we'd like, but here is a really cool initiative that Xbox fans may find really useful."

Chris1

MS is definitely fan driven these past few years, most people here probably only see the Xbox side of things but it's a company wide thing these days. Everything you see for Xbox is done for Windows 10 etc aswell. All the windows people are active on twitter, has feedback sites, etc. I think they've done a lot of right the past few years (not just with Xbox, but with Hardware, Win10, etc also) and can see it continuing the years ahead.

cyber_ninja

Dear Yusuf, we are( the xbox fans) eagerly anticipating e3 as well and hoping that you and your boy Phil Spencer will finally deliver the goodies. We all know that you can talk the talk, but we are still waiting for you guys to walk the walk.

As you can see, we are already lined up and waiting for you to unleash the almighty Scorpio upon us along with critical first party support and risky endeavors.

FWevt6Q.jpg

Dear Yusuf, we are( the xbox fans) eagerly anticipating e3 as well and hoping that you and your boy Phil Spencer will finally deliver the goodies. We all know that you can talk the talk, but we are still waiting for you guys to walk the walk.

As you can see, we are already lined up and waiting for you to unleash the almighty Scorpio upon us along with critical first party support and risky endeavors.

FWevt6Q.jpg

That was my favorite track in Forza 5. Great drifting.

Montresor

I like it. I'm excited for this E3 and my fingers are crossed that wit Scorpio, Microsoft destroys E3 with great hardware and new games.

CLEEK

Xbox loves its fans. They're the best fans. Great fans. People keep telling Microsoft how great their fans are. Many people say that.

halo_deflated_balloons.jpg

As our team has embarked on the journey to build a fan-centric culture at Microsoft, I have learned so much about how to focus our efforts...

who actually talks like this? i mean, besides mehdi, of course :) ...

Mrbob

More accurately, "how getting our ass handed to us by Sony made us actually listen to gamers and do some changes with limited investment"

To be fair what Sony has accomplished with ps4 is super successful so MS would be dumb to not copy them.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Given the Xbox One S, BC, their recent subscription service, and other changes to stuff like Gold, I'm less inclined to be cynical here. Microsoft got complacent, took an absolute beating, and now they've learned lessons, albeit the hard way. I hope we get back to peak 360 days, rather than the dark days of Kinect and TV TV TV Sports.

To be fair what Sony has accomplished with ps4 is super successful so MS would be dumb to not copy them.

MS also tried to 'copy' with Bing and Windows Phone by dumping lotsa money on it.....

i don't know about you but the word 'Microsoft' is 'stained' in many parts of europe to catch on there.

As for Asia...MS's games just do not catch on as Asians are not really interested in Space Marines and Jocks beefcakes with chainsaw guns. This might seems like an american power fantasy but most asians think that's just dumb (P.S I am Asian).

So i think the Xbox brand will forever to relegate to something like American Football/Super Bowl. Nobody outside its home country knows or cares...no matter what it do.

MS also tried to 'copy' with Bing and Windows Phone by dumping lotsa money on it.....

i don't know about you but the word 'Microsoft' is 'stained' in many parts of europe to catch on there.

As for Asia...MS's games just do not catch on as Asians are not really interested in Space Marines and Jocks beefcakes with chainsaw guns. This might seems like an american power fantasy but most asians think that's just dumb (P.S I am Asian).

So i think the Xbox brand will forever to relegate to something like American Football/Super Bowl. Nobody outside its home country knows or cares...no matter what it do.

Yes.
Same reason, why people don't play JRPGS in the west.
Just a different taste and nothing wrong about that.

It's hard to attract the whole world to the same degree
Microsofts Asia strategy isn't even XBox console.
It's gaming on Windows 10 and hopefully using the Store, too for some games. Or Partner with Netease to release F2P Minecraft

N30RYU

Isn't good having ONLY MS PR while nintendo and sony have games reviewed with 10s.

I own a ps4 ab xbo and a switch and don't really care what will bring ms to scopio's launch... cause whatever they release on launch should have been out now to compete with Zelda or Horizon.

Holding a bunch of releases to make a great start doesn't compensate the lack of Ms games right now... And the same happened at the end of the 360 cycle.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The danger if you focus too much on fans is that you can become insular and not outward looking, feeding people what you know they like rather than challenging their tastes.

Paz

I wish they'd stop trying to frame the original digital license only idea as some utopia that people just weren't ready for, it's so completely transparent. There's nothing stopping any and all of the benefits from existing for users who don't buy physical.

There's no doubt the Microsoft that exists today is quite different from the one that existed during the 360-XBone transition though, which is good.

Mandoric

Banned
Yes.
Same reason, why people don't play JRPGS in the west.
Just a different taste and nothing wrong about that.

It's hard to attract the whole world to the same degree
Microsofts Asia strategy isn't even XBox console.
It's gaming on Windows 10 and hopefully using the Store, too for some games. Or Partner with Netease to release F2P Minecraft

The thing it, it's willfully ignorant of history. JRPGs for example were nothings in the west until Sony dumped $100m into marketing one, secured the Playstation's relevance for decades, and established the very concept of AAA.

Catering to only existing fans with only things that match checklists is how you bleed out a fanbase slowly.

spekkeh

Banned
This is not some epiphany or major turnaround for Yusuf.

Nadella placed Xbox together with Windows in one business unit, as part of a restructuring last year. The intention is to bring young people into the Windows fold (and hopefully wean them away from Apple). He's now talking about fans, fan centric, doing it for your fans, because that is the new job mission of Xbox. To create Microsoft fans who use Windows and later on when they go to work, Stan for Office and Azure.

If I remember correctly Phil blocked and condemned crapgamer and mooch. Still replies to Tim Dog who really isn't that bad at all and he is followed by a large group of the xbox audience. Actually I think Tim after one of the xbox "fans" got harassed in real life by some playstation "fans" started a lot of the hardcore playstation and xbox fans following and talking to each other in a friendly way. It's strange seeing kratos (giant playstation fanboy) and Tim dog talking together in a friendly manner. But no matter how much you may hate the views of a fan of your brand their criticism and feedback is just as valid as anyone else's.

Having a look over his Twitter he's still deep into the console wars and probably about a quarter of his posts are either mentioning the PS4 or trying to throw shade at the PS4. Thankfully he's nowhere near as vile or abrasive as Crapgamer or the like. Good on Spencer if he actually condemned their bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom