• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Pre user guide is available online

sl3UAkD.png

"who fucked up my room i just wanna play video games"

Arulan

A few interesting things I noticed:

There is a USB 3.0 port for third-party devices.
There is a 3.5mm female cable that extends a little past the strap (on the back of your head).
You can adjust lens distance as well as IPD.
The minimum area for "Room-scale setup" is 5 x 6.5 feet (1.5 x 2 meters). They then specify that there is no minimum for "Seated and standing experiences".

iw3ujmL.jpg

Thanks for helping me setup Dad, now fuck off I gotta meet my virtual girlfriend for some sexy time.

Also we have roaches all over the couch.

cyress8

Banned
Giving those copyright artists a run for their money.

Thanks for the pdf now I see what I need to do to get my VR room completely ready.

sl3UAkD.png

"who fucked up my room i just wanna play video games"
I like how he has all of his shit just piled in this handy alcove. The coffee table upended in the corner is a nice touch. Edit: Nice that the legs collapse too.

Do you guys really build your computers in to the wall like that? The door leads to the wiring closet, I assume?

I like how he has all of his shit just piled in this handy alcove. The coffee table upended in the corner is a nice touch. Edit: Nice that the legs collapse too.
It's more than just a handy alcove, it's his kitchen! I had an apartment with that setup once. This guy's gonna find that life sucks after he's tired himself out with all that room-scale fun and his fridge is blocked. No beer/soda for you!

Mechazawa

jdHb.png

Now that your Vive is set up, you can play in a virtual reality where all that god damn furniture isn't in the way.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
A few interesting things I noticed:

There is a USB 3.0 port for third-party devices.
There is a 3.5mm female cable that extends a little past the strap (on the back of your head).
You can adjust lens distance as well as IPD.
The minimum area for "Room-scale setup" is 5 x 6.5 feet (1.5 x 2 meters). They then specify that there is no minimum for "Seated and standing experiences".

Realistically the minimum for standing with motion controllers ia probably still about 5ft X 5ft. You need space to not smack things with your hands and to lean about.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
iw3ujmL.jpg

Thanks for helping me setup Dad, now fuck off I gotta meet my virtual girlfriend for some sexy time.

Also we have roaches all over the couch.

Hold on - 5m Max range? So that would mean a max diagonal in your square area of 5m, or a square of 3.5m on each side. That seems a little small comoared to the setups we've seen in demos etc. Specs say to be at least 0.5m and at most 5m from a lighthouse. Allowing for occlusion means you'd want to be no more than 5m from both lighthouses

spekkeh

Banned
Wait you have to hang your lighthouses from near the ceiling? Yeah... that would go well with the missus. Also means I can't just install it in students spaces or I continuously have to replace my lighthouses.

Karak

It's more than just a handy alcove, it's his kitchen! I had an apartment with that setup once. This guy's gonna find that life sucks after he's tired himself out with all that room-scale fun and his fridge is blocked. No beer/soda for you!

Depending on where he lives he could just leave that shit outside his door. Cold enough. Though then it would get stolen and he is back to having none.

Hold on - 5m Max range? So that would mean a max diagonal in your square area of 5m, or a square of 3.5m on each side. That seems a little small comoared to the setups we've seen in demos etc. Specs say to be at least 0.5m and at most 5m from a lighthouse. Allowing for occlusion means you'd want to be no more than 5m from both lighthouses
They've been showing off room-scale in 15x15 foot (roughly 5x5 meter) areas and telling the press it supports larger and is very flexible. Probably the biggest limit is the length of the cable and where your PC is. For me, my entire apartment is only 4 meters wide...

Jesus until this is wireless this stand around shit isn't going to work. I can't wait to see pcs getting ripped to the ground when captain dumbass trips over his cables. Seriously how do they not expect this to happen. Massive home destruction incoming.

iNvid02

tom this was my grandfather's couch, its been in our family for generations

im sorry dave but we have to chuck it and make room for virtual reality

SXzBbwu.png

Nzyme32

Jesus until this is wireless this stand around shit isn't going to work. I can't wait to see pcs getting ripped to the ground when captain dumbass trips over his cables. Seriously how do they not expect this to happen. Massive home destruction incoming.

That's like complaining about game controller cables despite them having the ability to breakaway to prevent that eventuality.

Rob85Fr

Neo Member
Personally I'm a little bit scared for using wireless with headset systems... So I'm okay with this.

Beside this, do this mean that we absolutely need to install the 2 base stations even if we're going to play seated ?
If I'm correct, Oculus isn't working the same way right ?

Vive developers have been saying you actually subconsciously learn to deal with the cable - you can feel what direction it's coming off of you so you know roughly where it is. They say most people get that after about 40 minutes of play.

I really can't see myself wearing over ear headphones on top of this giant device. My head already gets fatigued wearing headphones as is. Also requiring it's own power source is a major bummer. I wonder if we can get to a point where power, video and audio are just piped down one cable instead?

Short USB cable (optional for third-party device)
Like...?
Vive controllers (2)
Will these work with AA batteries like the Steam controller?
Lens distance knob
Do we know if this is mechanical or electronically controlled?

I don't think I will invest in this type of VR until I have a house with a room to dedicate to it. I love the idea of it but until I can use it without having to move furniture I think I will stick with sit down VR experiences.

You can play it sitting down, you set your own boundaries through the software.
I'd be paying extra (I expect) for the lighthouse system that I won't be using as opposed to the Rift which I is much more suited to how I'll be using it. In fact, how does it work if I've got no good place to put those, will it be able to do head tracking if I just have them sat wherever I've got spare power sockets with some line of sight to me?

I really can't see myself wearing over ear headphones on top of this giant device. My head already gets fatigued wearing headphones as is. Also requiring it's own power source is a major bummer. I wonder if we can get to a point where power, video and audio are just piped down one cable instead?

Short USB cable (optional for third-party device)
Like...?
Vive controllers (2)
Will these work with AA batteries like the Steam controller?
Lens distance knob
Do we know if this is mechanical or electronically controlled?

A) Vive will have integrated audio
B) The cables for the Vive are quite long. I wanna say upwards of 15ft
C) Vive controllers have custom rechargeable batteries.Controllers can be wired to headset and played if batteries die
D) Lens distance and IPD adjustment are mechanically adjusted, but digitally measured so the API can adjust the image accordingly

Top Bottom